PDA

View Full Version : Fochlucan Lyrist, or just druid 20

webgem
2009-12-03, 07:21 PM
Hello, the 3.5 campaign I am in is in the middle of a reboot. Some of the characters were almost ready to drop out, one got splatted, and the DM was getting bored. So everyone is basically doing a little retweaking of their characters, and the DM is putting in a NPC ran by him. I was going straight druid, but suddenly we have gone from a mostly magic oriented team to a mostly close combat team. Now we have as follows, all level 13.

Frenzied Berzerker
Dwarven Defender
DM ran cleric that he says will focus on melee as well
Warmage/wizard ultimate magus.
Possibly one other (he doesn't seem that interested any more, but I hear he likes archers).

And myself.

I'm wondering basically which of the following would be most fun/useful.

1 Bard3/Druid 10 (go druid the rest of the way)
2 Druid 13
3 Bard 1/rogue 2/ druid 7 / fochlucan lyrist.

Some of the main changes the DM has put into play are:
More HP at first level - ala 4th edition
Skill choices - pick a skill and it has points = to your characters level ( so the B1/R2/D7 FL- works despite the crazy skill reqs.
Rest once per day to regain a certain amount of spells.
Only one PC generally allowed, I might be able to convince him to let me use 2, but probably not.

I plan on optimizing inspire courage a little bit if I stick bard in the mix.
- song of the heart, vestments of glory or whatever that thing that adds+5 to bard level, maybe the spell that adds +1/+1

The main differences are that option 1 gives me decent casting, some wildshape, some animal companion. plus some ability to use bard song.

Option 2 gives me best spellcasting, animal companion, and wildshaping

Option 3 gives me decent druid casting, loses all other druid abilities basically, decent bard spells and singing, and gives me a pretty decent BAB.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, or ideas on how to decide this conundrum. The main thing is really whether helping out all those other martial characters is worth losing some of my druid spells. Thanks much!

The Glyphstone
2009-12-03, 07:41 PM
FL is still a full-casting class, correct? If it is, feel free to go Bard 1/ Rogue 2/Druid 7/Lyrist 10. You still get 9th level spells at the end, and you, as mentioned, get the Inspire Courage bonuses to help everyone in the process.

starwoof
2009-12-03, 07:44 PM
Straight druid is probably your best bet, unless you reeeally like the Fochlucan lyrist. You'll have the capacity to enter melee with the best of them via Wild Shape, so that isn't a problem. In casting mode you'll be greater than the warmage by a fair margin. Druid is always a win-win.

Your group doesn't look terribly optimized, so you can probably go with any of the above and have a good time of it.

Cheers.

Leon
2009-12-03, 08:02 PM
Go with the Fochlucan Lyrist for something different.

Druid is a great class but its good to mix things up sometimes and from your list of other players a support type would a good fit.