PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Opportunity Attacks on Ranged Powers

The J Pizzel
2009-12-03, 10:23 PM
I've asked this in the 4E Q and A thread and no one has answered. So I'm asking it here. With more stuff included.

Is there feat or ability that negates the OA for attacking with a ranged power while adjacent to an enemy?

If not, how could I homebrew that? Thanks.

Thajocoth
2009-12-03, 10:29 PM
There's armor that does it.

Sinon
2009-12-03, 10:30 PM
There's one in Arcane Power, but it's limited to halflings.
Nimble Spellcaster.

There's an armor that does this in AV.
(Ninjaed)

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-03, 10:30 PM
There is a Cloth Armor enhancement, Level4/9+, called "Shimmering Armor", which means you don't provoke AoOs for ranged attacks, ever. In addition, there is a drow feat that lets you wield a hand crossbow without drawing AoOs provided you have a light blade in the other hand. There may be a few other things, but none come to mind at the moment.

So, as a Wizard, Sorcerer, or Invoker (or an Avenger or Monk), you can make good use of Shimmering Armor. If you are a drow rogue with a hand crossbow, there's a feat. Otherwise, I do not believe there is currently anything that does what you want.

EDIT: Ninja'd on one point, and proven wrong on the other. Nimble Spellcaster is one of my favourite feats, conceptually, from Arcane Power, I dunno why I forgot it.

Edge of Dreams
2009-12-03, 10:50 PM
There is also some feat or some such (too lazy to look up right now) that lets a sorcerer using a dagger implement treat ranged attacks as melee attacks.

Master_Rahl22
2009-12-03, 11:07 PM
Sorcerous Blade Channeling is the feat you're thinking of, from PHB2.

rayne_dragon
2009-12-03, 11:44 PM
There is also the Staff of Spell Blasting from AV2, although it is only for arcane powers and only affects the targets of the power.

I also think there may be a utility that does it... but I don't remember where I thought I saw it.

Thajocoth
2009-12-04, 12:53 AM
There's a second armor as well. Shadowdance Armor. It can be cloth or leather and comes with a Daily power. (Free when you move more than 3 squares, close burst 1 becomes dim if bright and dark if dim, but you can see through it as if it weren't darker.)

It's a level above Shimmering. Builder says the source is Seekers of the Ashen Crown.

Before Shadowdance existed, I've seen many players drop down to cloth to lose the AOs for ranged attacks.

DragonBaneDM
2009-12-04, 12:59 AM
The Sharpshooter Paragon Path, sir! :D You get it at level 11 for Rangers. Also! A Level 5 Daily Stance Power called Spitting Cobra's Stance Gives you oppurtunity attack at range 5!

The J Pizzel
2009-12-04, 09:04 AM
Would a homebrew feat that negates it be too powerful? Would it need to probably be Paragon Tier? Please help. I'm awful at homebrewing stuff and we play our first session tonight. Thanks.

Theodoric
2009-12-04, 09:19 AM
Well, I don't really see the use for it. When you move, just don't get too close to the enemy, and if you're already adjacent, just shift and shoot.
Well, it might be usefull for (Close) Blast powers, though those generally already cover enough space that it can be used effectively after shifting.

Hzurr
2009-12-04, 09:31 AM
Well, it might be usefull for (Close) Blast powers, though those generally already cover enough space that it can be used effectively after shifting.

I thought those didn't provoke AoO?

The J Pizzel
2009-12-04, 09:40 AM
Well, I don't really see the use for it. When you move, just don't get too close to the enemy, and if you're already adjacent, just shift and shoot.

Well. I feel kinda stupid. Thanks.

RebelRogue
2009-12-04, 09:40 AM
I thought those didn't provoke AoO?
Close powers don't provoke. It took me a while to realise this too. Close powers are not Area powers, even though they affect an area.