PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Talm

Tanaric
2009-12-04, 12:46 AM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a fairly spacious room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, two torches are already lit, one hanging by each of the doors presumably leading out of the room.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_
1||||||||
2||||||||
3||||||||
4|||T|||||
5||||||||
6||||||||[/table]

There is a door at G-3, and another at F-6.

DM notes:3, 4, 9

Bandededed
2009-12-04, 12:13 PM
Talm shakes himself off, and puts a reassuring hand on Frost. "It's okay, buddy. I guess those really weren't the warforged we were looking for..."

He sets down his pack and takes twenty to search the area and the doors. [27 total]

Frost isn't noted on your map, but it doesn't matter yet anyway. I just want to be sure you know about him. Right now he's just a normal riding dog with studded leather barding [+3 ac], so I didn't think he needed a separate sheet. If you want one, just let me know

Tanaric
2009-12-04, 03:10 PM
Both of the doors are strewn with webs of concealed copper wires that seem to carry a current of some sort.

The walls at F-1 and A-6, west side, look a little bit off.

Bandededed
2009-12-04, 05:43 PM
Talm moves to the wall at F1, and scratches his head. Shrugging, he steps back and taps his 10ft pole against it, then the wall next to it, in an attempt to determine if the F1 wall is stone, and if not, if he can get through it.

If he can
Talm moves just past the wall, and takes 10 on a quick search check [17]

If he can't
Talm sighs, then moves to the door and takes 10 on a disable device check on the wires [17], and opens the door if he does so successfully

Tanaric
2009-12-06, 09:48 PM
The wall crumbles at a touch, revealing a hall that runs north for twenty feet before turning east.

You don't find anything with your quick search.

Bandededed
2009-12-06, 11:47 PM
Talm shakes his head and calls Frost over. "Damn place - secret doors, trapped obvious doors... I don't think we're in Kansas anymore,"

He takes a moment to jot down the layout so far, marking traps, before heading to the north, taking 20 on a search check as he does so [27].

Tanaric
2009-12-06, 11:53 PM
At the bend, the hall runs east for thirty feet before turning north. After ten feet, it splits south. After twenty feet, there is a door on the north side of the hall. At the northern bend, there is a door on the south face of the hall.

I should also mention that the hall is unlit so far as you can tell, and only your darkvision allows you to see, with the usual limitations for that mode of vision.

Bandededed
2009-12-07, 12:00 AM
Frost whines at him, and Talm facepalms, hard. "Damnit, I'm letting this place get to me," he says, grabbing one of his sunrods and lighting it.

At the door, he does another precautionary search for traps [27] before opening it slowly and peeking inside, ready to slam it shut if danger presents itself

Edit: How does a tunnel running north split south?

Tanaric
2009-12-07, 12:16 AM
Ah, sorry. My method of describing halls seems to cause some confusion.

The hall runs east for thirty feet from your position when I made my post. At the end, it turns north.

Ten feet down (to the east), it splits south.

Does that make more sense?

Bandededed
2009-12-07, 01:02 AM
Ah, so from the eastern turn, ten feet to a southern turn and thirty feet to a northern turn?

I think I've got it now. Talm will have glanced down the southern corridor, just to see if he can tell how long it is. The door he checks and opens will be the northern facing one 20ft down the eastern hallway.

Also, he'll have strapped the sunrod to his pack - hands free is the way to be.

Tanaric
2009-12-07, 08:32 PM
The split continues south for fifty feet before turning east. After fifteen feet, there is a door on the east face of the hall. After thirty feet, there is another on the west face. After forty feet, it splits east. At the bend, there is a door on the south face.

Opening the requested door reveals the following room:Opening the door reveals the following room:[spoiler]{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_
1|s||||||
2|||||||
3||||x|||
4|||||||
5|||||||
6||v|v|v|||
[/table]

There is a door at G-5, another at F-1, another at F-6, which you are just outside of, and another at A-5.

There is a chest in the middle of the floor, a statue in the far corner, and a row of vases on stands along the southern wall.

Bandededed
2009-12-08, 12:45 AM
Talm takes out his sling, and carefully hits each item in the room with a bullet before moving out of the doorway, his eyes scanning constantly for signs of movement from any of the rooms items

[roll0]

He attacks the vases, followed by the chest, and finally the statue while standing in F6, prepared to move back into the hallway behind Frost [in F7 hallway] if anything moves.

[roll1]

He uses 5 bullets of his 20.

Edit: I really hate the forum roller some days...

Tanaric
2009-12-08, 07:19 PM
[roll0][roll1][roll2]

Your bullets hit one of the vases, the chest, and the statue. One cracks a vase but doesn't break it, while the other two ping off of their targets harmlessly.

Bandededed
2009-12-08, 09:17 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that he wasn't trying to damage the stuff, just agitate it. Ah, well.

Talm enters the room, muttering to himself. He lets Frost in, and searches the room [27]

Tanaric
2009-12-09, 07:48 PM
You find a tripwire on the first square you search.

I gave you the search result before you let your dog in, since I don't want PETA coming after me. :smalltongue:

Bandededed
2009-12-10, 01:30 AM
Why thank you.

Talm carefully steps over the wire, and guides Frost in doing the same. He continues exploring, just in case [27].

If there aren't anymore traps
Talm examines the chest minutely, in preparation of opening it

Tanaric
2009-12-10, 10:03 PM
You find tripwires on every square between you and the chest. Do you still want to search the chest?

Bandededed
2009-12-11, 12:56 PM
Gulping, Talm guides Frost back into the hallway. "Crimanitly!" he curses. He's not about to give up on the chest though.

First, he'll go around the room, keeping his eyes open for traps [27], and check out the vases, the statue, and the chest, in that order. If, after examining the chest, he thinks he can get it, he'll attempt to disable the lock [17].

Otherwise, he'll ponder a bit and see if something comes to him.

Tanaric
2009-12-12, 01:45 PM
You find tripwires on every square you move to. The vases are too tall for you to look inside, but they seem to be worthless pottery from what you can see.

Listen check please.

Bandededed
2009-12-13, 12:03 AM
Curses, no ranks
[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-12-14, 03:46 PM
You hear the faint sound of rustling from inside the first vase.

Bandededed
2009-12-14, 04:00 PM
"Oh god. This feels like a moral quandary in a place that's designed to kill me..." Talm mutters

Regardless, he retrieves a length of his rope and ties some knots in it. He then attaches his grappling hook and searches for a suitable place to anchor it, which will allow him to look down inside of the vase.

If he finds one up to twenty-five* feet away, he does so [14 with take ten].

*: I'm not sure exactly how the system works for grappling hooks. Is it DC 10 for 0 or 5 feet, 12 for 10 or 15, 14 for 20 or 25, and so on? Regardless, he won't throw if it looks too far away. He'll climb up if he secures it (knotted rope = DC 5. DC 0 if he can brace against the wall. Takes ten).

Otherwise, he'll use the rope to secure his sunrod and mirror to the ten-foot pole, hoist that to where he can see, and take 20 on a spot/search check [26/27]

Tanaric
2009-12-14, 04:04 PM
We'll go with plan B.

There's a small snake inside the vase, coiled up at the bottom.

Bandededed
2009-12-15, 02:12 AM
Yes, it is somewhat surprising when plan B is easier than plan A, isn't it...

Anyway, he'll check the other vases the same way, still carefully avoiding all those damn trip wires.

Tanaric
2009-12-15, 08:13 PM
Each vase holds a snake.

Bandededed
2009-12-16, 12:04 AM
"Nothing but snakes in vases, eh? Ah well, let's check on that statue," Talm says aloud.

He pauses to unhitch his looking contraption, and carefully moves about towards the icon. He searches it and the surrounding area throughly [27].

Tanaric
2009-12-16, 12:51 AM
You find a small flask tucked behind the base of the statue, but aside from that, nothing out of the ordinary. The statue might be worth something if you could figure out a way to carry it around.

You find tripwires on every square between you and it, of course.

Bandededed
2009-12-16, 11:47 PM
He'll check the flask for traps [27], before picking it up and trying to determine what it is.

He'll check out the chest next, still looking for something that would tie all the items in the room together...

Tanaric
2009-12-17, 12:10 AM
No traps on the flask. By which method are you trying to figure out the nature of its contents?

The chest lid seems suspiciously loose to you.

Bandededed
2009-12-17, 11:56 PM
Talm will take the unlit end of his sunrod and dip it in the flask lightly, to judge if the liquid is caustic or spontaneously combusting.

If nothing too exciting happens, he will determine if the chest lid is on hinges. It if is, he'll anchor his grappling hook on the opposite side from the hinges, and stand facing the hinges, and try to pull the lid back.

If it doesn't, he'll lift one of the corners with his ten-foot pole.

If the liquid is dangerous, he waits and ponders more.

Tanaric
2009-12-18, 12:01 AM
The liquid is a nice rosy pink, only slightly thicker than water. It smells of bubblegum. Nothing special happens when you stick your sunrod in there.

The chest is indeed hinged. Assuming you pull it open as described:The chest lid flips back at the slightest tug, revealing a pressure plate that was previously held down. Three crashes follow a moment later, the sound of the vases tipping forward and shattering, each releasing their snake into the square in front of their original location.

Roll initiative.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bandededed
2009-12-18, 08:57 AM
"Sonofabi- Talm begins as the vases fall. When three rather large snakes fall out, he just stops dead and shakes his head.

"Note to self, kill anything that looks semi-dangerous in this place," he mutters darkly.

[roll0] (using the 1/day Oracle ability).

In his first round, he'll move so that the door is directly south from him (not hitting the trip wires, again), and cast shield on himself. He's against back wall, right? If not, he goes there.

{table]Init | HP | AC/T/FF | PP
23 | 10/10 | 18/11/16 | 5/6[/table]