PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Cold Awakening, IC

loopy
2009-12-04, 06:53 AM
Hammerpick sits under at least two feet of snow as the blizzard continues raging overhead. Every so often, the shrieking winds calm enough to allow paths to be made between buildings. Still, gossipmongers at the Shalehearth is that this is the worst winter they've seen in years, shortly before they are shouted down with catcalls and boasting from the other patrons.

The clouds overhead makes it seem like nights approaching, but it has barely hit midday, and you had gathered in the inn for lunch, and for lack of anything better to do.

The Shalehearth, largest (and only) tavern in Hammerpick, is a large and rustic building. From the entrance, the newcomer would be able to see a moderately-sized feasting hall, fashioned perhaps after the Barbarian tribes of the north. Jarvik, the owner, could certainly pass for one if he tried, towering over all but the tallest of men, with a build like an Uthgardt warrior, albeit one going to fat.

The first sign of the unusual is when Deputy Hendricks enters the tavern. An older man of around fifty years, his cold grey eyes and easy stance betrays former military training, though he's still as quick to laugh as the best of men when times are good. He starts circulating around the tavern, talking first to Jarvik, then to some of the more unusual patrons of the inn. When he stops in front of you, he taps you on the shoulder and in a low voice, he says:

Everyone except Haggar
"Hello there. No time to talk, got plenty to do before those Ursafist show up. The Sheriff has some work for you, competent as you are. You'll be paid, but I'd highly recommend that you take him up on his offer if you wish to stay welcome in Hammerpick. Times are tough enough without strange folk who won't lend a hand. Meet him in the lock-up." He then continues off around the bar.

Haggar
Hendricks approaches you somewhat hesitantly. "Haggar. Sheriff Bronzehelm sent me to find you. Its... Well, I don't know everything, so you are best to hear it from him, but its about your Pa. He told me to send you to him right away. I've got more orders, but I'll come round later, maybe have a round with you and Papa Gajorn, eh?" He smiles, but it seems a tad forced.

Mando Knight
2009-12-04, 12:19 PM
Ixen is wrapped in a cloak, but only a few layers of clothing underneath, despite the frigid cold. A cursory glance around her reveals why: her body gives off enough heat to quickly melt the snow around her.

As she walks in, she pulls her cloak back, revealing the form of a dragonborn, as well as the remnants of a small fire that she seemed to be holding in her mouth until a few seconds ago. She nods at the deputy's request, replying "I'll be over after I get a bite to eat."

She makes her way to the bar, and looks at what's available.

loopy
2009-12-04, 12:35 PM
As Ixen approaches the bar, Jarvik is busy bellowing out orders to the kitchen like a drill sergeant. No one seems to acknowledge him, but the food keeps being served up and the ale keeps flowing from the kegs, so there must be some tiny amount of order in the chaos.

Jarvik looks her over, gives a gap-toothed, but strained smile. "Hope you aren't planning on ordering anything fancy. Winters been tough this year, salted meat, bit of pot luck stew and some black bread is all I can manage. Hells, gotta even save most of the ale for those Ursafist who are apparently-- ERIK! STOP SLACKING AND FETCH ANOTHER KEG FROM BELOW UNLESS YOU WANT A CUFF BEHIND THE EARS!"

A nine year old dodges Jarviks arm and races into the kitchen, presumably to follow his order. Or maybe just to save his hide, you can never tell at the Shalehearth.

Mando Knight
2009-12-04, 12:44 PM
"That's fine. Didn't come here to eat like a king." She takes as close a seat to the fireplace as possible.

loopy
2009-12-04, 12:55 PM
Jarvik grins and slaps you on the shoulder, already turning to yell off your order. Less than five minutes later a bowl of stew, black bread, and strips of what look like goat jerky are brought out to Ixen. A large stein of ale is set next to her, to wash it down.

Its peasant fare, but its filling, and surprisingly decent food for this time of year.

That'll be 4 silver pieces, thanks.

Anonomuss
2009-12-04, 02:26 PM
Rivera

Rivera nodded at Hendricks, his long fringe cloaking the left side of his face, as the deputy moved away and approached the others in the tavern. He then turned back to the lone glass of wine that lay idly in his outstretched hand. He seemed to mutter gibberish under his breath.
"What do you reckon? Out of the Ordinary?"
"We'll wait and see. I reckon it's more than the mere cantrips anyway."

He let the glass of wine down on the table, and raised his left arm. a fluttering from up in the rafters signaled the arrival of his familiar from on high. She cocked her head at him, a mild inclination of her head suggesting she was ready to proceed. He stood up, his right side covered by his cloak, it's colour a burnished brown, that only bore the barest traces of it's original red colour, shielding his white shirt, and brown trousers. He lifted his satchel from the seat next to him and slung it over his head.

He stepped out into the blizzard that had constantly brewed above Hammerpick. He tapped a small pendant around his neck, and it lit up like a torch, and illuminated his way in the gloom. He strode through the snowdrifts, his cloak raised to shield Artemis, as best he could, moving as quickly as the weather allowed him to the lock-up.

Nai_Calus
2009-12-04, 02:47 PM
Rhynneth bristles momentarily at the half-threat, but controls himself. He nods morosely, the winter weather having done nothing at all for his mood. He gives a mistrustful glance at the dragonborn as he stands, drawing his cloak closer about him as he begins for the door.

Mando Knight
2009-12-04, 03:40 PM
Ixen finishes her meal, warms herself up by the fire a bit, pays the tab, and heads over to the lockup. When she leaves, she pulls her cloak up, obscuring her appearance again, except for the glowing embers forming in her slightly-open mouth.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-04, 03:49 PM
The Reaper had been leaning casually against the door frame just outside Shalehearth, watching the new patron come in and sizing them up. It was a procession of the same following the same even the obviously better-endowed folk had almost become a boring sight to him. People don't usually show up Hammerpick during midwinter, people told him. It was part of the reason he made a good bouncer at the establishment. People found him scary. Not many people laugh as heartily as he does when a punk that doesn't want to b thrown into the cold on his ear scores a lucky dagger-strike. Not many people activly choose to stand where they can feel the howling winds and the biting cold instead of the warm comfort of the Inn, proper.
Reaper cocked a pale eyebrow at the half-threat Javrik delivered, and furtively bit his thumb at the man when he turned away, but followed him inside the bar, anyway, smiling as the heat washed over him and melted the snow over his shoulders.
He wasn't wrapped up in a winter cloak or anything resembling such and even had the audacity to have skin exposed. It was all part of the personality, mannerisms, and appearance that helped intimidate the patrons around here. The wicked length of blades and barbs affixed to the chain currently resting in a snake's coil around his waist didn't hurt much, either.
He makes almost a point to loom closer to the Eladrin patron already leaving as he makes for the bar and signals Jarvis.
As soon as the owner responds, he whispers across in a harsh voice,
"Y'sure y'don' need me 'ere much longer, boss?" it was the Lunch-time rush, after all, there was a bit which could happen when simple townsfolk got some ale into them and got upset over the most imagined of slights. Javrik could probably handle it, himself, but it was always good to ask before just leaving.

Nai_Calus
2009-12-04, 04:02 PM
Rhynneth gives the strange man a withering gaze that says that he's lived through and seen far, far worse than some over-done whelp with a bad attitude and continues on his way, shaking his head at the foolishness he has to endure among humans at times.

Shyftir
2009-12-04, 05:27 PM
Haggar was having a normal winter day, which for him consisted of little work except cleaning up his father's shop and running errands. He made his money as a guide for those who wished to explore the mountains, a very small number in the raging Hammerpick blizzard season. His normal day was shattered when Hendricks entered the Shalehearth.

"My Pa?" a concerned expression spread quickly over Haggar's face. "I'll go right away." Haggar knew Hendricks would have told him anything else the deputy had known, the man wasn't the type to keep secrets. Haggar finished his mug of warm winter cider in one gulp then hurriedly headed to the door.

Pulling on his snowshoes, he glanced outside. It seemed like the storm was lessening but like any good mountaineer he knew it was far from finished. He wrapped his deep green cloak around himself and sped out the doorway as quickly as his snowshoes would allow.

The wind was still strong and the hood of his cloak was blown back almost instantly. He felt the deep chill of the mountain winter seep into his bones. The cold was both implacable enemy and heady pleasure for the Dwarf who reveled in its primal power. Yet he knew it would kill any who thought to enjoy it for too long. He pushed himself past the rush of freezing wind and arrived home shorty after.

The dwarf entered and removed his snowshoes in the front room. He left his boots behind as well, but didn't bother with removing his cloak. "Pa? Deputy Hendriks said I needed to see you?" The fear in his voice was muted but clearly present.

loopy
2009-12-05, 02:03 AM
'Reaper'

"Well of course I bloody well need you here, what with the Ursafist coming to town for a supply run and all, I'll need all the muscle I can get. Sheriff's promised me stationed Deputies though, so I can manage for now. Get ye gone, and come back as soon as he's done with ye." Having said that, Jarvik heads into the kitchen area.

Everyone except Haggar
The biting wind steals the warmth from your bones as you exit the Shalehearth. Luckily, the Sheriff's office isn't far away, and you make it inside without any incident.
Sheriff Grugni Bronzehelm is visible as you enter the building of roughly-hewn stone building, arguing with a halfling you recognise as Jon Thimble, the local Miners Guild representative.

Grugni's words are heated, though he is obviously trying to remain diplomatic. "Show some heart, at least pretend you care about your missing worker! Gods know you may actually start to feel a bit of decenc--"
"While the Miners Guild cares deeply about each and every worker lost to industrial or occupational accidents, it can not, and will not, risk the security of the town by sending good money after bad." The halfling recites guild policy in a monotone, learned and repeated by rote.
"Security of the town? Thats my job, if you recall. Your precious shipment is what we sent Hilda Samestone in to check on! She's been gone far longer than she should have, even in this weather." As Bronzehelm talks, Jon scratches his neck thoughtfully.
"Hmm... Perhaps you are right. We should probably send a group over to check on poor Hilda... and, while they are there, they can check on the shipment-" As he turns, he sees you all enter the Sheriff's Office, and his voice hardens. "Though I see thats what you intended anyway." He walks for the exit. "Don't give them one copper piece more than normal rates for this job, or I'll shove my walking stick so far up your ass that your ancestors will feel it. Tell me what you find." The portly halfling shoves his way past you, and exits the building.

Haggar
Gajorn turns away from the fire, looking older than his 150 years. "Hello son, help yer old man up so he can give ye a hug." As you do so, you look at him closely. There looks to be recently shed tears trailed down his face, and the hand that isn't supporting his crutch holds a bottle of whiskey he must have drawn from somewhere.
"Its yer mother. She was sent off to check the iron shipment in Mine Two this morning. Apparently she never came back. Anyway, I need ye to look for her. Told the Sheriff about it, he said he'd gather others to help look. By Moradin's beard, I hope you don't need it. I'd be out looking myself if not for my thrice-damned leg! Anyway," he pushes you gently towards the door, "off with ye, meet whoever the Sheriff rounds up at the entrance to the mine, ye ken?"

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-05, 02:19 AM
Reaper quickly pounded his right fist against his left pectoral in a form of salute as Javrik gave him leave to speak to the Sheriff and muttered "Raven Queen take your foes" before turning smartly to head out the door, gliding around any patrons in his way instead of marching through the crowd like he normally did.
The Shadar-kai didn't bother with silly concepts like snowshoes or protection and instead strode straight through the worst of the weather straight to the lockup. He knew the place all too well, despite his short time in town. It was his own personal rowdiness and this familiarity with the lockup which landed him the gig at Shalehearth anyway.
Assuming he sees Jon Thimble whilst trekking through the snow, he tosses the halfling a gruff, but polite greeting and recommends he get somewhere where his small body won't freeze as fast. This latter jab at his height was accompanied by a hearty laugh.
Again, assuming Jon Thimble does not react in any way other than tossing a hullo or an insult back, Reaper steps inside the lockup and salutes the Sheriff.
"Bronzehelm."

loopy
2009-12-05, 02:34 AM
Those in the sheriff's office

Bronzehelm gives a strained smile as the last of you enter. "Bloody halflings... Anyway, on to business. As you probably heard, we've got a miner missing in Mine 2, where we usually store the iron ore mined late in autumn, just before the passes close up and stop the caravans rolling through. We sent her just to check on it, check the supports of the mine, and general maintenance. Not much of a problem, shes been a reliable worker for many years... Until she failed to return."

"Basically, I need to send someone looking for her." He sighs. "Which would be simple, except that I hear the Ursafist Dwarf clans are coming to Hammerpick with the supplies of meat Hammerpick needs to last the rest of winter. They expect to be compensated well, and with ale too, so quite naturally the Shalehearth soon turns into a minature warzone. I need all my deputies there."

He looks at you each in turn. "You... Well, I haven't seen such a strange group of individuals since I was fighting with Count Fitzcantel in the Border Wars. You look like the most competent individuals left in Hammerpick, and I'll pay ye to help out."

Shyftir
2009-12-05, 03:02 AM
Just as the Sheriff finishes speaking. Haggar bursts into the lock-up bringing snow and wind with him, a wild look in his green eyes.

"What's happened to me mother Sheriff!?" The question flew out of his mouth like a javelin at an enemy. Although only a young dwarf he was clearly upset and an upset dwarf is a very unpleasant thing. He stared at the sheriff only to be met with the tough old lawman's rock hard glare. After a few seconds he calms down, "Sorry, Sheriff, but it's my mother after all." He looks abashedly at the odd assortment of individuals and extends his apologies, "I'm sorry to barge in like that but my mother is lost somewhere in this gods-cursed storm." He loosened his grip on the war-hammer at his belt, and attempted to calm down thought he still seemed agitated.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-05, 03:15 AM
Reaper cracked a small grin.
"You wouldn't be gathering three capable fighters if there wasn't something else you were worried about." the soldier said easily, apparently unperturbed by the dwarfling.
"Out with it."

loopy
2009-12-05, 03:18 AM
"Aye, calm down lad, its alright. These fine and upstanding men and women will be accompanying ye to the mine, am I right?" Grugni, looks around the room, meeting each of your eyes in turn. "As I recall, the guild allows a maximum of 50 gold pieces for each guild representative undertaking a rescue mission on a guild member in good standing. Now normally, this maximum amount is for guild councilmen who are stranded in far more dangerous circumstances than this... But, well, looks to be a pretty severe storm brewing out there, am I right?" Sheriff Bronzehelm winks at you, clearly relishing the thought of getting the best of Jon Thimble.

He looks at the Shadar-Kai, "And as for worries... well, they are probably an old soldiers fears, jumping at shadows, but goblins, kobolds and worse have been known to sneak into the mines and quarries, especially during these storms. Keep an eye out."

He turns, heading back to his desk. "So, if we are all settled, I'm sure Haggar is quite eager to start looking for his mother. Good luck, I mean it, and be safe. Don't take any risks you don't have to. Find me when you get back, I'll be here or in the Shalehearth."

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-05, 03:53 AM
Reaper nodded at Bronzehelm's explanation. He could respect a fellow soldier's fears about the enemy.
"Very well." he turned to his companions and nodded his head slightly.
"Let's be off, then. I'm sure at least one of you knows the way. We can speak to each other en route."

Nai_Calus
2009-12-05, 10:25 AM
"Such a charming man," Rhynneth says drily as the halfling leaves.

After listening to the Sheriff's explanations, he nods.

"I shall do my best." He half-turns away and quietly speaks. "May Corellon guide us."

loopy
2009-12-05, 11:32 AM
You set out, muffled curses lost to the howling wind as soon as you open the door. In better conditions, it'd take you about three minutes to reach the mines from the Sheriff's place. As it is, it takes about 15 minutes of hard slogging west to reach the entrance of Mine Two, carved deep into the steep stone cliffs bordering Hammerpick.

The entrance to the mine is well constructed, wooden braces lining the tunnel (Gajorn Samestone's work, for those who know such things), and flickering torches lining the walls, hinting that warmth may be found within.

Mando Knight
2009-12-05, 05:52 PM
Ixen pulls back the hood of her cloak when she sees the fire light in the cavern, and her eyes seem to shimmer with joy at the sight. It's rather unsettling, especially since she seems to swallow the vestiges of a fireball as she does so. It's pretty obvious that she hates the cold.

Nai_Calus
2009-12-05, 06:34 PM
Rhynneth looks at the Dragonborn mistrustfully and places his hand on the dwarf's shoulder as they approach the mine entrance.

"We'll find her. One way or the other, but we'll find her. Let us hope that nothing too ill has befallen her, and that we can fix it if it has." He drops his voice and mutters half-under his breath. "And let's have that blasted thing walk in front. The only dragons in the world I might have trusted were I to encounter them are gone, and while this new breed of n'tel'quess are not quite dragons themselves... I find it seldom hurts to be wary. Besides, it keeps looking like it's about to char anyone foolish enough to stand in front of it."

((OOC: For those not up on FR elven stuff, N'tel'quess is an elven term for non-elves that basically means 'not-person'. Elves call themselves tel'quessir, which means 'the people', so non-elves thus end up with a somewhat insulting term used for them. How insulting exactly depends on the personal views of the elf in question.))

Mando Knight
2009-12-05, 08:55 PM
Ixen rolled her head back to look at the eladrin. "I heard that." She really didn't hear exactly what he said, but she heard him mutter something behind her back. She grins her toothy draconic grin and cheerily replies "Don't worry, I only burn the things that hate me." before continuing into the cave.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-05, 09:40 PM
Reaper bounded along wordlessly (Assuming nobody spoke to him) behind the party, constantly casting a wary eye about their surroundings, keeping his ears primed for the faintest disturbance.
In short - he was on guard, and almost paranoid in his over-watch.
as they made it to the entrance, however, his demeanor brightened considerably.
"Ah, to leave the cold and unforgiving wind for the cozy confines of a cave." he proclaims, smiling and walking softly across the snow, quietly drawing out the spiked chain to a ready stance as he did.
"It's almost enough to make one hope that Bronzehelm was right and we'll encounter something sinister, resistant, and most importantly, squishy."
after a quick glance at the dragonborn and her comment about burning things, he sought to hastily add the words "And flammable!"
He gestured grandly to allow his companions to enter ahead of him.
"Please, lead the way. I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with caves."

Shyftir
2009-12-05, 11:18 PM
"Thank you." The young dwarf nods to the elf before moving forward. he looks over at the odd man with the spiked-chain. "Just don't forget my mother is in here too. You'll regret it if you mistake her for 'something sinister', okay?" The fire in his eyes showed clearly even inside the cavern.

He peered into the darkness ahead and suggested, "Let's start with the Eastern tunnel, that's where they keep the shipments in storage." The dwarf began to head deeper but stopped short and asked rather sheepishly, "Did anyone bring a torch?"

Mando Knight
2009-12-05, 11:32 PM
"Shouldn't there be torches like those all the way along the main paths?" Ixen fishes around in her pack for a sunrod, sliding it to a more convenient pocket in case she needs it.

Nai_Calus
2009-12-06, 12:09 AM
"I do not hate you, but my people have a long history of struggles against dragons, so creatures that resemble them naturally give pause. Further, your race is only very recently arrived in this world, and the People as a whole are slow to trust other races. Individuals may be swayed much quicker by their experiences, and while I have heard from others that they have had successful interaction with your kind, I have also heard of... Rather more unsuccessful interactions. Your race is simply too new to have any certainties." Rhynneth says, half-lecturing. "You must understand that I myself have walked the face of Toril longer than your entire race has." He inclines his head in a manner that indicates that this is as close to an apology as Ixen is going to get.

"Forgive me, I do not believe I have introduced myself to you or the others yet. I am Rhynneth Starfire, a priest of the god Corellon Larethian, the protector and preserver of life and the creator of my people." He smirks. "It should be noted that the gods of the elves seem to not share as much the prejudice of their mortal children."

loopy
2009-12-06, 12:23 AM
As you continue talking, the party continues into the mine, the sound of the wind shrieking past the entrance slowly dies behind them. The main passage through Mine Two is large and relatively open, unlike what you might expect from an underground structure like this. Several sets of rails line the floor, with unattended carts and mining tools scattered around the place. Aside from the torches lining the walls, the mine looks entirely empty.

A hundred metres down the entrance, you reach a large pine door, barred and locked, standing directly before you. To your right, on the northern wall, is a crudely made wooden door marked "Maintenance".

Everyone except Ixen
You notice bootprints coming from the entrance of the mine. They stop around the door, like someone has been walking back and forth in front of it, and then proceeding through the northern maintenance door. Hooray for passive perception, I guess?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-06, 01:21 AM
"I'll be sure to double-check any dwarves." Reaper states in what might possibly be a jovial manner in an attempt to assuage Samestone. he ghosts close to a wall in a low, swift, silent manner as they progress down the main passage, noting the bootprints as he went.
"I respond best to 'Reaper'," he informed the group, spurred into doing so by Starfire's self-introduction. "No, it is not my name, nor is it some ham-handed attempt at being seen as dark, mysterious, or scary, it's just a title. I'm a soldier. We pick those up alot."
He ignores the elf's lecture on prejudice and the Gods almost pointedly and busies himself inspecting the doorway.
[roll0]
Checking for traps, invisible or otherwise.
[roll1]
Further investigation of the bootprints, to include what type of creature made them, and how long ago they were made, as well as any interesting substances which may have shook themselves loose from the boots

Anonomuss
2009-12-06, 04:45 AM
Rivera

Rivera moved to the front of the group, next to Reaper, and stooped to examine the ground in front of the two doors. "My name is Rivera." he said, while examining the tracks.
"Someone has passed this way,", Rivera said, gesturing at the northern door.
"Unless the Reaper Soldier has any objections, I suggest we move that way." he said, in as deferential a matter as possible.

((OOC: Presuming noone has any objections))

Rivera moved up next to the door, and gave it an experimental pull.

"Do you see anything?" he whispered to Artemis.

Perception roll for the room beyond
-[roll0]+[roll1]+6, so 12

As an aside, Rivera has Sleep (Daily 1) and Burning Hands (Encounter 1) Prepared, with Grasping Shadows (Encounter 1) stored in his tome.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-06, 07:42 AM
"Unless I miss my guess, the one who passed this way was the boy's mother." he informed the group, pointing at the footprints. "But, whoever it was, they were in no rush."
He pointed to the barred door.
"And she likely checked the security of this door, first."

Nai_Calus
2009-12-06, 03:23 PM
"So it would seem, yes. What of it, then? She does not seem to have entered, though if you want to have a look, be my guest. Else I agree with Rivera." He shrugs and falls silent again, feeling the familiar old discomfort and mild disdain for other races coming upon him again. He mentally chided himself. He should be past this. The demise of Evermeet had proved that Corellon no longer favored his children, hadn't it? No, he was no better than anyone else. Still, they were an off-putting bunch, particularly this Reaper fellow. He grimaced and withdrew slightly, a distantly worried look on his face. Well, things would sort themselves out. This was no doubt Corellon's way of reminding him of his diminished status. He shrugged.

"Anyway, we certainly won't get anywhere standing here. Corellon teaches us to protect others, and doing nothing won't accomplish that."

Mando Knight
2009-12-06, 03:57 PM
"Well, if the big door's locked, and it looks like who we're looking for went through the other door, we'd best go that way, right?" Ixen walks towards the maintenance door, and tries opening it. "Since we're all introducing ourselves, my name's Ixen."

loopy
2009-12-07, 11:47 AM
As Rivera approaches the door, a muffled growling turns into a roar as the door splinters inward in a hail of claws, teeth, and fur. Out of sheer good fortune he dodges out of the way of the flying door as a sabertoothed tiger lands amongst its remains, another close behind.

It snarls at you, baring its fangs as the mine reverberates with the noise.

Roll initiative!

((I'll post a tactical-type grid map when I wake, with your positions figured from the posts you've made. Summary: Rivera and Ixen are currently flanking the tiger who narrowly avoided crushing the wizard with a door. Another tiger is still in the tunnel. Reaper is next to the main door, three squares down, one square left of the tigers. Haggar and Rhynneth are three squares away from the tigers, in relative safety at the moment.))

Rhynneth:
Over the roar of the tigers, you hear a gutteral voice screaming something that sounds like a warning, or a curse. Its in a language you don't recognise, and coming from the maintenance tunnels.

Anonomuss
2009-12-07, 03:40 PM
Rivera

Artemis gave a shriek, as Rivera approached the door, and he dived swiftly to one side, the door just missing him as it burst open. He turned to face the snarling tiger bounds through the splintered wreckage of the door-frame. He raised his staff defensively.

Initiative-[roll0]

Shyftir
2009-12-08, 05:39 AM
(I'm pretty sure I won initiative so...)

Haggar reacts like lightning. Leaping into battle, the young dwarf marks the beast and unleashes a mighty blow with his warhammer.

Move action to the beast. Free action to mark all adjacent enemies (Nature's Wrath). Standard action for Earth Shield Strike.
[roll0] vs. AC
on a hit [roll1] untyped damage, and +1 AC for me until end of turn.
If it attacks without including me, before the end of my next turn.
Warden's Fury [roll2] vs. Fort.
on hit: [roll3] untyped dmg and combat advantage is granted to the party vs target, until end of my next turn.

(rolls re-done in ooc)

loopy
2009-12-08, 10:55 AM
Round 1, part 1

The tiger standing on the wreckage of the door growls at Rivera, slowly stepping around to block the wizard from the rest of his pack. Muscles tensing, it leaps at the wizard, dealing a vicious bite to his shoulder, claws raking down his chest.

The tiger deals 10 damage to Rivera with a bite.

The other sabertooth darts between the wizard and Ixen, raking its claws at the Dragonborn, but Ixen dances away from the swipe, and the claw bounces off her scales.

Haggar reacts quickly to the sudden attack, calling to the spirit of the mountain to increase his might and power, to protect his newfound allies. He readies his hammer and swings it, but the hurried swing is dodged by the tiger easily. Regardless, the air now pulses strangely around him, and both tigers turn at him and growl, a threatening rumble emanating from their throats.

Hearing the roars, 'Reaper' turns away from the door and unspools his chain, slowly spinning it faster and faster, in delicate patterns that never seem to move more than a few inches from his body at any one time. All of a sudden, he lets fly, and the bladed chain shoots out in a straight line towards the tigers flank. Unfortunately, it flies slightly wide, and hits the door harmlessly.

Mando Knight
2009-12-08, 01:44 PM
"Rivera, do yourself a favor and get out of the way, please." This corner is cramping Ixen's style. Seriously. She'll delay until Rivera moves. Provoking 2 OAs for a single power isn't worth it, and neither is roasting an ally.

Nai_Calus
2009-12-08, 03:12 PM
"Corellon, may your grace guide us in this battle." Rhynneth intones, solemnly and quietly, as he raises his hand and a beam of sky-blue energy flows from it towards one of the tigers.

Lance of Faith on Tiger 2
Attack: [roll0] vs Ref
Damage: [roll1] Radiant
If it hits, Ixen has a +2 to her next attack roll against it.

Rhynneth scowls as the tiger dodges and glares upwards briefly, as if to scold his god.

Anonomuss
2009-12-08, 04:03 PM
Rivera

Rivera staggered back under the weight of the tiger's blows, Artemis flying from his arm to hover slightly above him, before settling on his shoulder.

Calm, she whispered to him, as his breath shuddered from the pain of his wounds, Bottle that pain and release it!

He stepped away from the tiger, straightening at the same time. Holding his tome close to his side, he closed his eyes and gestured with his free hand, the tips of his fingers tracing an intricate arcane sigil in the air. He then seemed to push it outwards, and a beam of energy streaked from it towards the closest of their assailants.

Move-Shift to Q8

Magic Missile-At Tiger 2
Attack-[roll0] v Reflex
Damage-[roll1]

Just checking, I am Ri amn't I?

loopy
2009-12-09, 02:18 AM
Round 1, part 2

Allies suddenly displaying a diverse array of talents that he'd only heard about previously, Rhynneth sends a prayer to Corellon to harm the tiger with holy light. Unfortunately, the agile sabertooth dodges the beam easily. You get the sense that the beasts are more than capable of dodging most attacks.

Rivera remembers reading of a time before the Spellplague where the spell Magic Missile reportedly never missed. If only that still held true today, Rivera thinks, as the missiles impact harmlessly on the wall behind the snarling sabertooth.

Mando Knight
2009-12-09, 03:44 PM
Ixen spits out a wash of flame as soon as she sees Rivera move away, then prepares for a second but stops when she realizes he hadn't moved far enough. "Oops! Sorry." She then pulls out a dagger and tries to stab at the tiger instead of incinerating it.

Minor: Dragon Breath on Tiger 2 and Rivera, both attacks vs Reflex
[roll0]
[roll1]
Hit: [roll2] fire damage

Move: switch to minor, draw dagger

Standard: Melee basic attack against Tiger 2
[roll3]
[roll4]

loopy
2009-12-09, 11:21 PM
Round 1, part 3

Rivera's eyes widen as the sabertooth dodges Ixen's breath weapon, before getting engulfed in the inferno. Robes his robes, already bloody, are now charred and blackened from the flames.

Rivera takes 7 damage from Ixen's fire breath, is now on 9 health and bloodied.

Ixen throws a quick apologetic look at the wizard before moving to stab the tiger in the flank, corded muscles causing the dagger to become almost a blur in the dim light. Unfortunately it glances, and bounces off the tigers fur, dealing a small cut that the tiger barely notices.

Round 2, part 1
The first tiger sizes the stangely threatening dwarf up then unleashes a raking claw, aimed directly at his face. Haggar bats the claw away with almost contemptuous ease.

The other sabertooth, seeing an opening, jumps at Haggar, jaws ripping a chunk out of his neck and shoulder before landing behind him, the beasts working as a pack to kill the intruders.

Tiger2 crits Haggar for 9 damage, then shifts to P9.

Shyftir
2009-12-10, 02:16 AM
Haggar sidesteps then attacks the tiger that clawed him mercilessly but seconds ago. "Eat warhammer beastie!" he bellows while attempting to bring the heavy blunt object down on its spine.

Shifts to O10 as a move action.
Once again mark all adjacent enemies with Nature's Wrath as a minor action.
Attacks Tiger2 with, Weight of Earth, as a standard action.

Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] untyped damage and target is slowed until the end of my next turn.

(My AC bonus fades as well.)

Edit!:
Adding relink to map: Map! (http://www.editgrid.com/user/loopy/Mine1)

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-10, 03:13 AM
Reaper twisted the chain back into its spinning pattern before it can harm the dragonkin also harassing his foe and lashed out with the opposite end towards the cat's hide, immediately shifting the "Idle" end into a pattern that would prove to be very painful if there was retaliation for his strike.
Riposte Strike on the adjacent cat that Ixen is helping me flank. [roll0] for [roll1] and [roll2]

Nai_Calus
2009-12-10, 02:37 PM
"Accursed dragon-spawn! Be careful!" Rhynneth shouts angrily as he sees Rivera singed by Ixen's breath. He quickly moves back and to the side away from the suddenly all-too-present tiger, then quickly intones a prayer of healing to ease Rivera's wounds.

"Be gone, beast," He growls as he once more sends a beam of energy at the tiger.

Move: Shift to R10
Minor: Healing Word on Rivera, Spend a healing surge, that value plus [roll0]
Standard: Imma firin mah godlazer.
[roll1] vs Ref
[roll2] radiant, if it hits Rivera has a +2 to hit it. (Rhynneth is irked at Ixen right now. :p)

Anonomuss
2009-12-10, 03:24 PM
Rivera

Rivera winced as Ixen's flame breath singed the front of his shirt and scorched the skin underneath. "Oops, Sorry" he heard Ixen shout, over the clamour of the melee.

"Accursed dragon-spawn! Be careful." His wounds were suddenly soothed, as Rhynneth's prayer washed over him.

Rivera moved away from the tiger that had advanced towards him, calling "No harm, no foul friends. Rivera said, hoping that his ill-positioning would not bring his allies to conflict once more, It was all well intended.".
As he moved Artemis whispered to him again, You didn't form the symbol correctly, it should have been more like this.
Artemis fluttered her wings in a manner that suggested a gesture to Rivera, and he calmed his breath, and tried again to form the glowing sigil.

However, as his hand tried to form the shapes required, some of the freshly resown skin reopened and caused him to stumble through the motions. He hissed through his teeth in annoyance, as Artemis gazed at him reproachfully.

Move-Move to S11
Magic Missile- At Tiger 2
Attack-[roll0] v Reflex
Damage-[roll1]

HP; Currently at 23, I believe, as he's taken 19 so far, and healed 16.
But overall looking much better than before, thanks guys.

Mando Knight
2009-12-10, 06:39 PM
As her allies finally clear out a wide enough area in front of her, Ixen lashes out with a second wave of fire, more intense than the first.
Burning Spray on Tiger 2. Positioning attack so that Tiger is the only one hit.
[roll0]
On hit, [roll1] fire damage.
Next enemy to hit Ixen with a melee attack before the end of her next turn takes 5 fire damage.

loopy
2009-12-13, 09:16 AM
Round 2, part 2

Haggar brings his warhammer up and over his head, bringing it down like an avalanche on one of the great tigers haunches. The cat yowls, limping as it puts weight on its injured foreleg.

Haggar deals 9 damage to Tiger2, slowing it until the end of his next turn.

The bladed chain spins around the tattooed warrior in a hypnotic pattern before lashing out again, this time missing the beast completely and impacting against the door to his left with a dull thud. Lack of use has obviously blunted the soldiers skill with his signature weapon.

Rhynneth, backing away from the fearsome tiger, calls to Corellon to aid his injured comrade, and the room lights up as a feeling of warmth and security touches you all just briefly. The worst of Rivera's wounds start to close, and the wizard stops bleeding from his side. Bolstered by the communion with his god, Rhynneth summons a powerful blue ray of light and directs it toward the tiger Haggar just hit. For a moment, it looks like the beast will dodge it yet again, but the ray strikes true, and the tiger roars as the holy energies send pain shooting through its body.

Rhynneth heals Rivera for 13 points of damage, followed swiftly by blasting the tiger with holy fire for 10 points of damage. Nice round for the cleric!

Rivera steps away from the howling beast, hoping to move into a better description while its distracted by the pain. A half-hearted swipe of its paw misses him completely as he backs away, trying to center himself. An unfamiliar feeling of divine favor sweeps through him as he signs the sigils to summon a magic missile, but the recent battering as left him winded, and the spell fizzles once again.

Ixen, allies finally out of her way, lets loose with a truly fearsome display of her draconic might, bathing the already injured tiger in fire once more. The sabertooth, already dazed and injured from hammerblow and holy light stands no chance of evading the breath weapon, fur catching alight and sending an acrid smell into the air. The tiger lits out a piteous mewling sound, starting to bleed heavily. Even if it escapes this fight, it will likely die soon after.

Ixen deals 12 damage to Tiger2, and it is now bloodied.

Link to map. (http://www.editgrid.com/user/loopy/Mine1) Round 3 starts, post your actions! Ixen, make an Attack of Opportunity as a red blur runs past you directly at Haggar!

Shyftir
2009-12-13, 03:39 PM
Last Round: As the second sabertooth takes a desultory swipe at Rivera, Haggar takes the momentary distraction as an oppurtunity to slam the beast once again with his warhammer.

Nature's Wrath
Immediate Interrupt Melee weapon
Trigger: An enemy marked by you makes an attack that
does not include you as a target

Attack [roll0] vs. Fortitude
Damage: [roll1] untyped and target grants combat advantage to me and all allies until end of my next turn.

This Round: Haggar summons up the raging fury of a mountain thunderstorm and delivers his devastating Thunder Ram Assault against the stubborn tiger. "WHY. WON'T. YOU. DIE!?

Once again marks all adjacent enemies (minor action) (Can we just make this assumed unless I say differently?)
Thunder Ram Assault
Encounter ✦ Primal, Thunder, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Primary Target: One creature (Tiger2)
attack: [roll2] vs. AC
Hit: [roll3] thunder damage. Make a
secondary attack that is a close blast 3.
Earthstrength: You also push the primary target a number
of squares equal to your Constitution modifier. (5, throw it directly to the right, past RI and RH.
Secondary Target: Each creature in blast
Secondary Attack:
Tiger: [roll4] vs. Fortitude
Drake: [roll5] vs. Fortitude
Hit: [roll6] thunder damage, and you push the secondary
target 1 square. (Drake back one by IX, Tiger1 one to the left into wall.)

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-14, 05:52 AM
Reaper curses as his chain strikes the door and quickly rips it back into the ready position. He closes his eyes for a moment and the spinnin chain slows as he focuses on his form.
Here.
There.
Like this.
He focuses on his aim and lashes out a third time at the troublesome tiger
Encounter Power! Torturous Strike![roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 09:55 PM
Assuming the others don't do something fatally stupid, Ixen spits out another gout of fire before sliding over to close off the monsters' escape.
Burning Spray on the Drake and Tiger2. Both attacks vs Reflex.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
First idiot to hit Ixen with a melee attack before the end of her next turn takes 5 fire damage.

Move: Shift to O8

Nai_Calus
2009-12-15, 12:59 AM
Rhynneth stays where he is for now and picks on Tiger 2 because Tiger 2 is a big meanie.

Godlaser lulz I really need to retrain this power because I can't think of it as anything else. :P
[roll0] vs Ref
[roll1] Radiant and Rivera has a +2 to hit it if it isn't dead if I hit.
Unless it's already dead in which case Rhynneth is picking on the drake. Probably.

Anonomuss
2009-12-15, 04:28 AM
Rivera

Rivera gathered himself together, and tried to properly create the accurate sigil for a magical missile, hoping to finally hurt one of their assailants. However, as hard as he tried, he couldn't quite manage to form the glowing shape that so eluded him. He scattered the glowing shape with a wave of his hand, causing a blast of arcane energy to flow from it, and strike the wall of the cave, far from causing anyone any harm.

Standard-Magic Missile on Tiger 2
Attack-[roll0] v Reflex
Damage-[roll1]

Waiting until I see how I do before finishing my post.

Can anyone say Worst. Aim. Ever. :smallyuk:

:smalltongue:

loopy
2009-12-15, 09:57 AM
Round 3

The uninjured sabertooth near the door unleashes a mighty roar as it sees its packmate injured by the party. Its bites at Haggar, but the dwarf easily dodges out of its way, only to come face-to-face with a large red-scaled drake, maw already dripping with blood.

The drake leaps at the warden, attempting to rip him to shreds in a flurry of tearing teeth and claws, but he successfully dodges all but one blow, a claw raking down his arm. It hurts, but its a minor injury compared to those suffered by Rivera moments ago.

The rage drake deals 5 damage to Haggar.

The injured second tiger swipes at Haggar, but the dwarf continues to stand fast against the storm of claws and teeth, deflecting the blow with the shaft of his hammer.

Sensing a gap, Haggar calls upon the spirit of the mountains around him. The rails on the ground beneath him start to spark as a humming power builds in the air around him. Pulling his hammer down for a sweeping arc, Haggar targets the injured tiger and puts all the might of the gathering storm into his blow. The mine tunnel quakes as a thunderclap reverberates through the enclosed space, and electricity leaps from the hammer to the tiger, launching it towards the entrance, right past the wizard and cleric. The great cat lets out a mewling cry, and it turns and prepares to hobble for the entrance on its injured leg.

The thunder emanating from Haggar's hammer arcs into both the other beasts, burning fur and cracking scales, pushing them away from the fearsome dwarf. The tiger, with no room to be pushed, cracks its head against the wooden door.

Haggar deals 16 damage to Tiger2, 5 damage to the drake, and 7 damage to Tiger 1. He also pushes the drake 1 step to the north.

Reaper is quick to take advantage of the sabertooths fall, looping his bladed chain around the beasts neck and pulling tight. The sharpened links bite into it, tearing and rending flesh. At the last moment, just as it looks like the tiger will collapse, its paw catches the chain long enough to loosen it, freeing the tiger temporarily, but judging by the rasping and wet sounds, it won't last more than another 10 seconds before it collapses into unconsciousness. Blood spreads around the stricken animal.

Reaper crits the sabertooth for 41 damage! It, strangely enough, is bloodied, and very close to death.

Rhynneth calls the increasingly familiar lightray from Corellon as the singed, disfigured sabertooth is hurled past him. It strikes the tiger true, and for a moment you think it might fall down, when it stands, obviously on its last legs.

Rhynneth deals 6 damage to Tiger2, bringing it down to 1hp.

Rivera continues to attempt to remember how to cast Magic Missile. It was a simple cantrip, he'd read. What was he forgetting? He summons the glowing blue orbs of force, and hurls them toward the tiger, and once again, they miss completely, this time hitting the ceiling, dislodging a small chunk of rock above the tiger. The stone falls, clipping the tiger behind the head and causing it to collapse onto its side, unconscious.

Ixen releases another gout of flame as the drake is pushed directly in front of her. The hissing drake is roasted from head to tail by the pyroclasm, but when the smoke clears, it remains standing, still barely injured.

Ixen deals 14 fire damage to the drake.

Okay everyone, round three is done, post your round for actions! Map (http://www.editgrid.com/user/loopy/Mine1)

Shyftir
2009-12-15, 05:02 PM
Having expended one of the most powerful of his abilities, Haggar trusts that his allies will finish off the badly wounded wild cat. The dwarf realized the seriousness of the situation and the blood soaked jaws of the drake had not escaped him. Haggar assumed the drake had attacked and possibly killed his mother. The drake was about to learn that an angry dwarf was not a good choice of snacks. Haggar's heart filled with rage as he pushed forward slamming his hammer into the drake.

Move action to O9.
Minor action, second wind, (I didn't mark this turn.)
Standard action attack Drake:
Earth Shield Strike:
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] untyped damage and I gain +1 AC until end of next turn.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-16, 10:44 PM
Reaper draws his chain up for another strike, spinning the chain in another complex pattern before sending the blades once again towards tiger-flesh.
Piercing Strike![roll0] [roll1]
As soon as the blade finishes its flight, the shadar-kai takes a single step forward - only instead of walking into the sabretooth, his steps land him right adjacent to the drake, flanking it alongside with dwarven compatriot, some of the fell essence of the Plane of Shadow clinging to his shoulders.
He jerks the still-mid-air chain around and quickly begins defending himself with one tails he continues his assault upon the drake with the other.
Shadow Jaunt racial encounter power to teleport three squares to O7.
Action Point for a second standard action to Riposte strike against the drake.
[roll2] [roll3] And, since I forwent Sneak Attack on the tiger: [roll4]

Nai_Calus
2009-12-16, 11:49 PM
Rhynneth tries to finish off Tiger 2 to get it out of the way.

Godlazer, [roll0] [roll1]

Mando Knight
2009-12-17, 12:25 AM
With the tigers down, Ixen finally slips out of the corner, sliding her knife into the fray immediately beforehand.
Standard: Melee Basic on the drake to avoid frying allies.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Move: Shift 1 square down, to N9. That tiger can't still be alive, after taking another 10-ish damage after that crit, right?

Anonomuss
2009-12-17, 03:22 AM
Rivera

Rivera started to trace the sigil in the air again, but stopped half-way. It was hopeless, he knew that. It just wasn't working. However, he could feel the power building up, and felt it begin to flow through his body. The motions had awakened the magic, and he couldn't stop channeling it. Maybe he shouldn't have stopped writing the sigil, as it seemed to incorporate how to stop channeling the magic. Feeling the power building up, the urge to expel it became an almost primal, instinctual, need. He pointed his hand at the drake before him, and a muscle, he didn't know he possessed, twitched. And a bolt of incandescent light shot from his hand towards the target.

Move-Aim
Minor-Aim
Standard-Magic Missile on Drake
Attack-[roll0] v Reflex
Damage-[roll1]

EDIT: Goddamn it! Spending an action point, so the post itn't entirely pointless. Rolls in OOC.