PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Dark Sun-ish campaign - character ideas requested

WalkingTarget
2009-12-04, 09:39 AM
Starting a new game tomorrow (well, at least having the pre-game discussion of characters and whatnot; possibly a short intro. session) that is being based on the Dark Sun campaign world. The GM has some of the old AD&D books for that setting, but I haven't had a chance to look at them, so the Wiki article is most of what I know about it. I don't know exactly what houserules will be in play to shift the base assumptions of 4E to match this setting (no deities, etc).

I believe that we're starting at Level 5, but I'm unsure as to what class to pick, so I'm asking the Playground for suggestions.

So far the group consists of Druid, Bard, Rogue, Barbarian, and probably a Paladin (first two human, rogue is a halfling, dunno about the other two). The DM has a thing about "monster" races, so he'd probably not want half-orcs etc. in the group (this is a stylistic thing, I don't care what race I use from a character perspective, so I'm flexible).

Anyway, I'd originally been thinking of a Ranger, but with two strikers in the group already I'm not sure if that's the best way to go. Maybe a goliath ("half-giant") Warden if he allows that race. Given the group class composition are there any good synergies I could add? Any other opinions out there? The gaming group in general has access to most (if not all) of the available books and a few people have the DDI thing so I'll have access to Dragon feats, etc.

RebelRogue
2009-12-04, 10:16 AM
If the pally is still iffy, a defender (like the Warden) would be the obvious choice. Another leader would be the next best thing, imo.

Tiki Snakes
2009-12-04, 10:29 AM
Cannibalistic Halfling Psion. :smallbiggrin:

If you lack insider access, then psion is sadly out of the window, but I recommend being a people-iverous halfling reguardless. It's a chance that I personally could not pass up.

Just be sure not to eat your team-mates. Just because you eat people doesn't mean you don't have manners, and that would be very rude. ^_^

Shardan
2009-12-04, 10:35 AM
Strength based Earth Cleric! (my favorite 2nd ed Dark Sun character)

A defender with good offensive capabilities would help though. Warden or fighter maybe. A second leader might be nice too since the controller (Druid)is a front line character. That makes 4 front line and the Bard back line. I'm a big fan of Shaman especially after the Primal Powers book but you really can't go wrong with a well made cleric.

WalkingTarget
2009-12-04, 11:57 AM
Strength based Earth Cleric! (my favorite 2nd ed Dark Sun character)

This was sort of the idea I was going for with the Warden (kinda) since it fits into the elemental-based rather than divine- or arcane-based magic of the standard setting. I don't know how the DM wants to model that aspect of the setting yet. Of course, that leaves out the whole healing bit that the Cleric is known for.

Artanis
2009-12-04, 12:38 PM
You already have a Bard for heals, and the Paladin is a secondary Leader as well. I think you're probably fine on healing, so don't worry about that.

WalkingTarget
2009-12-08, 03:50 PM
Ok, so with one thing and another the game didn't get started this weekend (and is not likely to start this coming weekend either; we have a Blue Planet game going as well, so I got to join that one, but I digress) but I did get a chance to sit at a computer with the DDI character builder on it and threw this together quickly with the "earth-cleric" idea in mind (so picking primarily earth-themed powers at the expense of the other Warden variants). I didn't get a lot of time to work out how this will end up playing, so I may have made some dumb choices. Suggestions?

Uthal, level 5
Goliath, Warden
Build: Earth Warden
Guardian Might: Earthstrength

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 21, Con 17, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 15 Fort: 18 Reflex: 12 Will: 14
HP: 62 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +9, Endurance +10, Athletics +14, Perception +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +1, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Goliath Greatweapon Prowess
Level 2: Markings of the Elements
Level 4: Crushing Guardian

POWERS
Warden at-will 1: Earth Shield Strike
Warden at-will 1: Weight of Earth
Warden encounter 1: Earth Spikes
Warden daily 1: Form of Mountain's Thunder
Warden utility 2: Warden's Tempest
Warden encounter 3: Earthgrasp Strike
Warden daily 5: Earth-Shaking Rend

We're starting at level 5 but only have the starting character gold to buy things with, so suggestions for gear would likewise be appreciated. This is likely to be a low-wealth/gear game from my understanding of the setting.