PDA

View Full Version : IC-Wizard of the coast "intended class" challenge!

Pages : [1] 2

Arakune
2009-12-04, 11:47 AM
OC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7876502)

Starring:

Arakune with Fighter McFighter (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=184330), Superglucose with Lydda the Halfling Rogue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169915), taltamir with Ray McBoom (http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZcEvOA-L4zcZGNqNnF0NDdfODIwbmtkdm42aGs&hl=en), Fenix_of_Doom with Jozan the generic Cleric of Pelor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169938), Wizard McMage (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=170407), thethan with Bardy McHelpful (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169923).

Directing, Sallera.

Superglucose
2009-12-07, 04:27 AM
Lydda

A short (3' ish) girl who can be best described as "plain" bounds up, and cheerfully says Hi guys! My name's Lydda! I like taking apart traps and stuff, and I'm also a pretty good shot with my trusty crossbow. I'm also pretty sneaky I guess, lots of people seem to lose track of me... she drifts off and seems to get lost in her own thoughts for a second, but that's just because I'm small. I think. I mean I'm not small for a halfling, but I'm small... and yeah! I've also been told I'm really quick on the draw, it's really difficult to surprise me. Her dread-locked black hair seems to bounce behind her as she's wearing some tight fitting leather clothing that seems to be designed with stealth in mind as opposed to protection. There's her afformentioned crossbow as well as a backpack on her shoulders, and she's got a grappling hook hooked to the outside of the pack and what looks like fifty feet of silk rope coiled and behind her. She's using a pole that is easily three times her size as a walking stick.

She looks puzzled for a second, and then reaches around and unwinds the rope from adds, Can someone carry these for me? She proffers the rope, the grappling hook, and her pole. They're a bit too heavy for me, but I need them around. Perhaps one of you big, strong, men? She bats her eyelashes a bit at Jozan.

ooc:

Oh crap. I like my character. Not like, the build, but... I accidentally made a character I'd love to play in a game. I suspect this will be super RP light too. Hmm... if my wizard character dies in my other game I may bring her back as a bard...

Arakune
2009-12-15, 11:56 AM
I'm... McFighter. Fighter McFighter, yes, that's my name. And I'm a... dwarf, that's right. Ouch, my head...

All that ale and booze and generic beverage wasn't good for him. Even after living amoung the surface race for too long he was still a dwarf (a common dwarf with a long beard, his trusty armor and weapons always in hand), and just a little bit of alchohol won't stop him. But that monstruosity was too much, and it was no wonder they called it "undead killer": even a creature immune to poison would get a hangover after that.

I... need... beer. Your Genericness, do you still have the spare beer for hangovers?

Figther McFighter, at the party service. After he shrugoff the hangover.

taltamir
2009-12-15, 09:56 PM
A hauty, slim, tall (for an elf) elf male; standing 5' 4". He is wearing a dress (which he calls "robe") and a pointy hat. On his shoulder sits is an invisible imp polymorphed into a crow (if you can see such things).

He introduces himself: I am Ray McBoom. I am a wizard and a scholar by trade, Evoker to be exact; I have sworn off the nasty art of necromancy and wimpy illusion enchatment spells to better focus on the true power of Arcane Magic, blowing things up! Although I have probably elaborated too much, I wouldn't expect a non Elf to grasp the nuances of the Arcane Arts and would hate to... confuse you.

If you ever come across something you cannot fathom, simply ask me. I have far reaching knowledge of various subjects, and I am well read; in fact, I can read, write and speak 20 languages fluently

He gazes at Lydda and says, you do seem as if you are carrying too much, perhaps you would like to put some of that load in my cart? *he points at a cart dragged by a mule, and a carriage by a pair of mules*

EDIT: I changed 19 languages to 20. Sorry about the error
EDIT2: we decided to go with original spell schools. So I adjusted the banned schools to be enchantment instead of illusion

Fenix_of_Doom
2009-12-16, 01:43 PM
An average sized(6 feet), average looking human comes in. He wears emblems of Pelor on his heavy armour and speaks with a serious tone:
"It's good to see you, follow travellers, I am Jozan and I will make sure that the great shining beacon of hope shall guide us through whatever challenge awaits us."

Sallera
2010-02-08, 01:24 AM
As you speak, you realize that the light has been dimming almost imperceptibly for the past several minutes. While that would not ordinarily be cause for concern, and indeed the thick layer of clouds overhead would seem to indicate an obvious and quite mundane cause, you also notice the faint beginnings of a white mist floating around your ankles. Before you can speak more than a few words further, the fog bank rushes in in earnest, covering everything with a thick, damp blanket of impenetrable grey.

A faint nudge, a clearing of the throat, and the surface underfoot is no longer cobblestone, but what feels like sand. The temperature has not risen appreciably, but the world soon starts to lighten as the fog burns away, revealing a featureless desert of red sand stretching to the horizon.

Really, this sort of thing seems to be happening rather often of late. One might suggest a change of career, but adventurers never do seem to be capable of retiring effectively...

taltamir
2010-02-08, 05:06 PM
Ray McBoom: Well that was certainly odd...
Either the entire city just got transmuted into a desert while leaving us unharmed, we are under some sort of mind control and or illusion, or we have been teleported somewhere against our will. And teleporting someone without their consent is supposedly impossible!

Would a knowledge or spellcraft check help identify what just happened?

Arakune
2010-02-08, 05:48 PM
You're Right! That's a completly outrageous thing!
I feel so violated.

Sallera
2010-02-08, 05:51 PM
Might. No harm in trying.

Arakune
2010-02-08, 05:55 PM
Er... to who is that spoiler?

Sallera
2010-02-08, 06:09 PM
Unlabeled spoilers are just for general OOC stuff. If it's for someone in particular, I'll label it.

Superglucose
2010-02-08, 06:28 PM
Yipes! Lydda squeaks, someone managed to steal the whole city! I feel woefully inadequate...

taltamir
2010-02-08, 10:30 PM
Might. No harm in trying.

which ones specifically?
I got spellcraft and knowledge: arcanna, planes, Dungeoneering and religion

Rolled (in this order): 20, 20, 15, 5, 2
Modifiers: 26, 23, 20, 13, 13

spellcraft = 46
K: Arcanna = 43
K: Planes = 35
K: Dungeoneering = 18
K: Religion = 15

I can't believe my first two rolls of the game were a pair of natural 20s in a row! and thats on game science dice. The way it all lines up is unbelievable...
speaking of, is there an online dice roller we should be using? Also, is there a "Play by post ettiquite" guide somewhere around here?

Sallera
2010-02-08, 10:32 PM
Forum die roller, please. xdy+z format.

And said guide would probably be this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2714).

taltamir
2010-02-08, 10:43 PM
alright... using the FDR:

spellcraft = [roll0]
K: Arcanna = [roll1]
K: Planes = [roll2]
K: Dungeoneering = [roll3]
K: Religion = [roll4]

EDIT:
Either I can't see my own rolls, or it failed because I am just seeing "roll0" "roll1" etc

Sallera
2010-02-08, 10:48 PM
You can't edit them into a post, and previewing will break them unless you hit back.

taltamir
2010-02-08, 10:51 PM
alright... trying again:

spellcraft = [roll0]

Sallera
2010-02-08, 11:34 PM
taltamir:You noticed that the mist seemed to function quite similarly to a portal, its mobility and lack of proper bounds aside. You also note that your current location appears to be more akin to a demiplane than a proper destination.

Arakune
2010-02-09, 06:58 AM
I have this faint feeling that someone is whispering behind my back...

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-09, 08:20 AM
Jozan looks around, suspicious of his new surroundings.

"We seem to have arrived at an inhospitable and possibly unfriendly environment, be on your guard!"

Looking for anything relevant
[roll0]
[roll1]

"Mister McFighter, I plan to cast some protective spells on myself, would you like your reserved spell cast on you at this time as well?"

Arakune
2010-02-09, 08:56 AM
Not yet Father Jozan, unless it's something with a very long duration. I plan on exploring this place a bit, first.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-09, 11:03 AM
"I'm unsure how late the hour is, but the spell ought to last the rest of the day at least"

OoC: 17 hours to be precise.

Arakune
2010-02-09, 12:03 PM
Interesting! Please, cast it my friend. Er... what it does?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-09, 12:24 PM
"You don't remember? If your amnesia is that bad, perhaps I should also try to magically heal you of your hangover.
The spell is for your weapon, the magical energies provided by Pelor will greatly empower it."

Actions taken:
Activate bead of karma for +4 caster level, lasts 10 minuets.
Caster level is now 17.
Cast Greater magic weapon on Jozans morning star and on whatever weapon Fighter wants. (duration 17 hours, bonus: +4)
Pick up lesser rod of extend and use it to cast extended Magic Vestment on Jozans shield and armour. (duration 34 hours, bonus: +4)
Put rod back in my backpack.

Superglucose
2010-02-09, 12:59 PM
Hmmmm... Lydda activates her Ring of Invisibility to go invisible. Don't worry boys, I'm still here You can almost hear the wink in her voice

Sallera
2010-02-12, 02:22 PM
*pokes the party with sharp sticks*

Jozan:You don't see much. Sand, more sand, sand in dunes... well, no, actually, there doesn't seem to be much wind activity here. Quite flat. Artificially so, even. You don't hear anything other than your companions.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 02:37 PM
so, uh... where to?

do we actually see anything worth approaching or is it just sand as far as the eye can see in every direction? This is important to know, because I have some suggestions depending on the response

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 02:39 PM
Well what are we supposed to be doing, exactly? Did the city actually disappear? Were we teleported? What's to stop us from having the party wizard teleport us home? (Or cleric, I guess...) I'm not doing much because I just have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 02:46 PM
Well what are we supposed to be doing, exactly? Did the city actually disappear? Were we teleported? What's to stop us from having the party wizard teleport us home? (Or cleric, I guess...) I'm not doing much because I just have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

well, only reason we couldn't teleport home is if we are now in a different dimension... or if were more than 100 miles away since I don't have greater teleport yet

Sallera
2010-02-12, 02:47 PM
As far as you can tell, it's just sand. Flat, boring sand. And as taltamir said, there isn't technically anything stopping you from teleporting out aside from the limitations of the spell.

Arakune
2010-02-12, 02:51 PM
The whispers, they don't stop!

I will explore the place, keeping my eyes in the original position my group is.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 02:51 PM
Arkune, can you please update the first post with the current party members, I am not listed at all, and we have extras who are not actually playing listed.

I believe that the mist seemed to function quite similarly to a portal, its mobility and lack of proper bounds aside. Also, our current location appears to be more akin to a demiplane than a proper destination.

As a demiplane, we cannot simply teleport out of here, as the spell does not work for planer travel.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 02:55 PM
I am concerned about our friend here hearing "whispers"... Maybe a mind control effect?
We should make sure, if a cleric *wink nudge* was to cast protection from evil on him, all mind affecting spells of mortal origin on him would be suppressed for the duration; regardless of whether their source is evil or not.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-12, 03:13 PM
"Pelor has blessed me with the ability to channel that spell today, so we could try it, if it doesn't work then I still have some spell which could cure his .... madness."

Jozan cast protection from evil on McFighter

Sallera
2010-02-12, 03:13 PM
Arakune:After a few minutes of walking, you see a small gathering of people in the distance. A few minutes further reveals it to be your companions, who are also visible behind you.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 03:52 PM
Arakune:After a few minutes of walking, you see a small gathering of people in the distance. A few minutes further reveals it to be your companions, who are also visible behind you.

does this means that we see two arkunes?

Sallera
2010-02-12, 04:35 PM
taltamir:Yes, if you're paying enough attention to be looking in both directions. Now that we've established that, stop reading spoilers marked for other people. :smalltongue:

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 04:37 PM
Oh Jozan, what would we do without you? Lydda smiles, and chases after McFighter.

Arakune
2010-02-12, 04:39 PM
Well, that was unespected. And I belive one of the whispering voice wants all the other voices to stop, and I approve of this decision.

If going straight don't work, maybe we ca go either up or down. I have my shovel, so someone else might try to use it's flying trick.

Mc Fighter will start to dig, dig, dig, dig, and that's all he doooooo...

Sallera
2010-02-12, 04:49 PM
After several minutes of attempting to get dry sand to stop sliding back into the hole he's digging, Fighter uncovers a large glass window set in the bedrock. As far as you can see, all it's covering is a large vertical shaft, which leads down further than the ambient light reveals. At some point in the past, someone seems to have messily Sovereign-Glued a large iron cauldron to the other side of the window. It hangs from a short chain, and is currently full of what appears to be dirty water.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 04:49 PM
taltamir:Yes, if you're paying enough attention to be looking in both directions. Now that we've established that, stop reading spoilers marked for other people. :smalltongue:

doh. It did not occur to me that it is in spoilers to be private. I figured it was just to seperate IC and OOC talk... I need to finish reading that guide to PbP you gave me. Anyways, right now I am converting my character sheet to a better format

taltamir
2010-02-12, 04:56 PM
Curious, I can see McFighter twice... I wonder how can that be...

What do I conclude about our location based on our fighter "doubling up" when he walked in a straight line.
: 26, 23, 20, 13, 13

spellcraft = [roll0]

Visible actions:
I send my familiar to fly around a bit to "measure" how far he goes before "doubling up" and whether we are in the exact center of the effect, and whether it is round or otherwise shaped.
I also try shooting an arrow in the "up" direction and seeing what happens to it

Sallera
2010-02-12, 05:01 PM
taltamir:As far as you can tell, this is quite a small demiplane, and it loops back on itself. The party appears to be in the approximate centre of the effect, which is also where McFighter's hole has ended up. Shooting an arrow upward results in the arrow falling back downward as you would expect.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 05:06 PM
taltamir:As far as you can tell, this is quite a small demiplane, and it loops back on itself. The party appears to be in the approximate centre of the effect, which is also where McFighter's hole has ended up. Shooting an arrow upward results in the arrow falling back downward as you would expect.

I was trying to get a more specific size. For example, ~500feet or something similar in terms of measurements.
if the effect is x feet across and we are in the center. then I would fly up x-50 feet and shoot another arrow to see what happens to see if there is an "upper" boundary similar to the side boundaries.

Arakune
2010-02-12, 05:12 PM
Hey friends, look at what I found, a glass window with a cauldron in a chain!

Sallera
2010-02-12, 05:15 PM
taltamir:It appears to be approximately 1000ft in radius.

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 05:17 PM
Lydda giggles a bit and heads over to look at what McFighter has found. She thinks to herself a bit, and then smiles, and rummages about in her pack, pulling out a long length of rope. She lowers it as far as she can and then brings it back up to discern the depth, then smiles. If I tie this around myself, and you lower me down, then I'll be able to see what's down there! Well... if I have a torch or something... but I'm pretty sure my super-smart wizard friend can help me out with that, right?

taltamir
2010-02-12, 05:20 PM
Do you have a ring or if you prefer, something else I can cast light on?

I cast light on whatever it is she wants me to cast it on.

Sallera
2010-02-12, 05:21 PM
There aren't (currently) any holes in the window, so lowering anything down would be... difficult.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 05:22 PM
I guess I will not be casting light just yet then. What is the window made out of?

Arakune
2010-02-12, 05:22 PM
Let's spare the wizard might power for such mundane tasks. Use one of my torchs. For a hole... give me some space first.

I will dig a little bit more to get more space, and them I will try to break the window if nobody objects.

Edit: Damn ninjas

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 05:57 PM
Lydda rummages around her haversack and presents a crossbow bolt.Here you go! She has a bright smile on her little face until McFighter proposes that we use a torch instead. Slightly downcast, she none the less smiles at McFighter. I guess a torch works as well.

Sallera
2010-02-12, 06:04 PM
The glass is thick, but after a few blows, it starts to crack, and a final attack shatters a two-foot wide hole into the window, sending the cauldron swinging. A small, scaled, fist briefly reaches up from the murky waters and makes a rude gesture in your general direction before receding back under the surface.

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 06:07 PM
Cute. Lydda scoffed, before tying the rope to herself.

ooc:
DC is 10 to tie a firm knot, and I have a +11 to the check.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 06:35 PM
Maybe I can fly you down there?

OOC:
Question: How much does lydda weighs? I have overland flight on and it allows me to carry "no more than her maximum load" @ my strength that is:
Loads(@8): Light=26, Medium=53, Heavy=80, Overhead=80, Off Ground=160, Push/Drag=400
EDIT: ok, I found it in the SRD, "maximum load" = "overhead lift". So its 80lbs for me. No way I can carry the heavier guys.

So, depending on how much she weighs, and which of those is "max load" I might be able to carry her down. if it is 400, then I can probably carry everyone down.

Speaking of spells I have on right now: I have overland flight, protection from arrows, and mage armor.

My daily cycle is:
8 hours of sleep. (in rope trick)
1 hour prepare spells (in rope trick)
immediately cast spells with duration of hours/CL (13 hours right now)
13 adventure
cast rope trick (13 hour duration)
2 hours hide in rope trick doing nothing
repeat.

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 06:43 PM
I'd be a medium load for you. I weigh 30 and my rope, hook, and pole are carried by other people.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 06:48 PM
well then, lets fly down and have a look.

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 06:49 PM
Lydda's complexion brightens considerably as she hops onto the wizard's shoulders.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 06:53 PM
We fly down, the familiar flys ahead a bit, it is invisible and has darkvision 60 ft

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 07:08 PM
Oh yes, I'm also invisible and carrying a torch.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 07:11 PM
Haha! I am a powerful wizard, I am levitating a torch over my head!

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 07:13 PM
VERY powerful!

Sallera
2010-02-12, 07:31 PM
The shaft seems to go on for quite a ways; it is uniform in width and appearance, simple granite walls in a 10ft square. The two scouts pass quickly out of sight.

taltamir/Superglucose:How far down do you go?

taltamir
2010-02-12, 08:16 PM
OOC: I am somewhat confused now
There was a window and a couldron, when we broke the window, a hand came out of "the water" (what water?) and gave us the finger before disappeared below it, and now we are in a featureless shaft long enough for us to go out of sight of our companions and still not see the bottom?

1. if we are in the shaft, then where is the water?
2. did the shaft end in a glass window covering its top or was there something else up there?
3. I am totally unclear about the actual layout of our current location.
4. What happened to the cauldron?

Sallera
2010-02-12, 08:19 PM
It's a vertical shaft down into the bedrock. The top was covered by a window, which had a cauldron hanging from a chain glued to the underside of the glass, containing the aforementioned water. There is now a hole in the window, but the rest of it is still there.

taltamir
2010-02-12, 08:42 PM
Say, lydda, didn't a small scaly fist come out of the waters of the cauldron at the top of this shaft and make a rude gesture at us? Shouldn't we have looked inside it to see what sort of creature it belonged to and what it is doing in a cauldron full of water glued to a window at the top of a shaft berried under the sand in a demiplane?

Plus, we are getting rather far from our companions and there is no end in sight, perhaps we should go back and see if we can all travel down together instead of one at a time

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 10:09 PM
Two at a time, Lydda corrected, then muttered and you're supposed to be the smart one?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-13, 06:18 AM
"Don't you hate it when the impulsive members of our group run off and leave us behind worrying about them?"

Arakune
2010-02-13, 12:33 PM
Indeed. Should we wait for them a little more?

taltamir
2010-02-13, 01:56 PM
we fly back up. (unless lydda objects)

When back up I say:
guys, this thing goes on for quite a while. we couldn't see you or an end to that shaft.
Plus I am curious about the hand in the cauldron. I say we investigate it, then we all go down the shaft together.

Arakune
2010-02-13, 02:01 PM
It's possible that whatever is on the other side is waiting for us. Don't let your guard down.

taltamir
2010-02-13, 02:03 PM
jozen, are you able to summon a celestial monkey (summon monster 1) to take a peek inside the cauldron? I would, but summoning is not exactly my forte

Arakune
2010-02-13, 02:08 PM
But if there is something up there it won't alarm then to our presence? I'm not the smart guy, but I don't feel confortable with sending a free snack to the Darkness (tm)

taltamir
2010-02-13, 06:34 PM
It is indeed wise not to alarm them to our presence, but we saw a small scaly hand make a rude gesture at us before. So I would say they already know we are here.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-13, 07:59 PM
"Unfortunately I cannot summon a creature to scout for us, we'll have to do our dirty work ourselves."

taltamir
2010-02-14, 12:21 AM
so, um... who goes first?

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 01:05 AM
We do! We do!

Arakune
2010-02-14, 03:18 AM
Tradition says the mightest warrior of the clan clear the path for the spellcasters. Since we don't have one, I will do it. Lydda, can you tag alone invisible for backup?

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 03:23 AM
For the irony of it, Lydda nods. The wizard feels a weight lift from his shoulders as Lydda jumps on the Fighter's back. We should've gotten you a saddle and I should've learned to ride horses!

Arakune
2010-02-14, 04:18 AM
Don't push your luck, lady. Where I came from that's enough offence to get killed over.

Let's go then.

KAWABANGA!!!

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 04:19 AM
GIDDYAP!further characters ruin the awesome

Sallera
2010-02-14, 05:35 AM
Are you just jumping down the shaft?

Arakune
2010-02-14, 05:40 AM
And we see...?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-14, 02:24 PM

I certainly hope not.

taltamir
2010-02-14, 03:35 PM

who is this spoiler for?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-14, 04:44 PM
I assume that it was meant for Arakune and Superglucose, I base this of the fact that it makes sense.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 04:47 PM
I have no control over my mount.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-14, 04:53 PM
Yes you do, if he's misbehaving you can hit him on the head.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 04:57 PM
And he'd be flatfooted as well!

EDIT: Mounted Combat, in retrospect, would've been a great option here: I could make Ride checks to stop you from getting hit! You'd get to benefit from my Uncanny Dodge!

Arakune
2010-02-14, 05:30 PM
And you could full-attack too! Toss in some shadow hand and both of us...

Funny.

Anyway, that was the plan. The meele-ish guy goes first and the casters come back later with support. I have means to survive a (not so) big fall.

Edit: In retrospect, just jumping in seens like a bad idea. Nice time for me to put out my boots of flying...

Sallera
2010-02-14, 05:45 PM
Arakune/Superglucose:You fall for a few hundred feet, as near as you can guess, before you feel the same nudge you felt when the mist engulfed you, and find yourself nearly blinded for a moment as you appear in an icy cavern. A light layer of snow crunches underfoot, and as far as you can tell, you appear to be inside a large glacier. The room you occupy is fairly small, perhaps fifty feet to a side, and contains a single exit, a wooden door rather poorly set into the ice.

Arakune
2010-02-14, 05:54 PM
*whispering*

Look on the bright side, at least we didn't hit our heads in the stone, or were set on fire. Let's get ready for trouble and wait for our companions.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 05:56 PM
You can feel Lydda shivvering a bit on your shoulder, as she squeaks out It's a bit chilly in here, isn't it?

Arakune
2010-02-14, 06:00 PM
Yes. Look around for enemies and traps, and scream if anything bad happens. I will go after you.

I will drop her and try to stay alert for any dangers.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 06:05 PM
Lydda laughs a bit and hops down. If there's snow, she'll pack it and throw it at the Fighter
[roll0]

Then she starts searching the room.
[roll1]
After words she'll spend the time to take 20 on searching the door for traps for a 38.

Arakune
2010-02-14, 06:16 PM
*Lydda uses Snowball attack on Fighter*
*The attack misses*

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 06:18 PM
It's a touch attack ;-)

Arakune
2010-02-14, 06:30 PM
Let's not start this here.

taltamir
2010-02-14, 06:32 PM
so, are you jumping down the shaft, or jumping into the cauldron where the scaly hand flipped us off?

EDIT: oops, I didn't notice that a new page started. I see what happened now.

Sallera
2010-02-14, 06:35 PM
Arakune/Superglucose:You know, it kinda defeats the purpose of putting things in spoilers when you post all your responses in the open. :smalltongue:

At any rate, as you start to search the room, four icy shapes silently emerge from the glacier, human corpses covered in ogre-sized shells of clear blue ice. They leave no mark on the ice as they arise, two to each of you, and immediately attack.

{table] |A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|J|K
1||||||D|||||
2|||||||||||
3|||||||||||
4||u|u|L|u|u|||||
5||u|u||u|u|||||
6|||||u|u||u|u||
7|||||u|u|F|u|u||
8|||||||||||
9|||||||||||
10|||||||||||
[/table]
u = Undead
L = Lydda
F = Fighter
D = Door

Lydda:
Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll3]
If grapple succeeds, [roll4] cold damage and [roll5] Dex damage, Fort 19 half
Attack 2: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] + [roll8] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll9]
If grapple succeeds, [roll10] cold damage and [roll11] Dex damage, Fort 19 half

Fighter:

Attack 1: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13] + [roll14] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll15]
If grapple succeeds, [roll16] cold damage and [roll17] Dex damage, Fort 19 half
Attack 2: [roll18]
Damage: [roll19] + [roll20] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll21]
If grapple succeeds, [roll22] cold damage and [roll23] Dex damage, Fort 19 half

Initiative:
Enemies: [roll24]
Lydda: [roll25]
Fighter: [roll26]

taltamir
2010-02-14, 06:35 PM
ok, I am at the top of the shaft right now. I try to break the remaining glass that still holds the cauldron so that it falls free. Then, I Would grab it and fly down the shaft to meet up with my buddies who have already made the jump.
let me know of the cauldron cannot be broken free.

Sallera
2010-02-14, 06:37 PM
With your strength modifier? You'll probably need help from the cleric, but if he agrees, then yes, that's possible.

taltamir
2010-02-14, 06:39 PM
jozen, do you have magical flight on? do you agree to help?

Arakune
2010-02-14, 06:57 PM
It was down the shaft.

Very late edit: cand I roll my own dice? Looks like you rolled my initiative.
Edit 2: Wasn't Lydda invisible? :smallconfused:

Arakune
2010-02-14, 07:22 PM
Sallera

Well, since there is two large undead in front of me, I probably doesn't know exactly what is happening with her, so...

Lydda! OUT OF MY WAY FOUL CREATURES!

I attack the undead at E-F square in front of me. Did you counted the bonus from flanking already?

[roll=Damage 1]1d10+2d6+14

[roll=Damage 2]1d10+2d6+14

[roll=Damage 3]1d10+2d6+14

Arakune
2010-02-14, 07:24 PM
Sallera

[roll0] + [roll1]
[roll2] + [roll3]
[roll4] + [roll5]

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 07:30 PM
Oh sure, the good rolls are done by the undead. LAAAAME!
Auto-fail both grapples, both attacks hit.
[roll0]
[roll1]

I feign death, going limp to make them think that I'm dead so they'll attack the threat (see the fighter?)

Sallera
2010-02-14, 07:33 PM
Arakune/Superglucose:Oh, good point, I'd forgotten about the invisibility. Let's just roll miss chances first; miss on 1.
Attack 2: [roll1]

Arakune
2010-02-14, 07:42 PM
Sallera:

Out of curiosity, how much is the CR of those things? Average of 5 Dex damage per hit is a little bit overkill... But then again you are supposed to prepare for this kind of fight.

Sallera
2010-02-14, 07:43 PM
Arakune/Superglucose:All three attacks hit, but it's still alive.
The one that hit Lydda attempts to drag her down into the ice.
Opposed grapple: [roll0]
If that succeeds, Lydda is entombed and immobilized 20ft below the ice, and can create enough room to move (as if grappled) with a DC23 strength check.
The other three move toward Fighter and continue attacking.
Attack 1: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll4]
If grapple succeeds, [roll5] cold damage and [roll6] Dex damage, Fort 19 half
Attack 2: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] + [roll9] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll10]
If grapple succeeds, [roll11] cold damage and [roll12] Dex damage, Fort 19 half
Attack 3: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14] + [roll15] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll16]
If grapple succeeds, [roll17] cold damage and [roll18] Dex damage, Fort 19 half
Attack 4: [roll19]
Damage: [roll20] + [roll21] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll22]
If grapple succeeds, [roll23] cold damage and [roll24] Dex damage, Fort 19 half
Attack 5: [roll25]
Damage: [roll26] + [roll27] cold
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll28]
If grapple succeeds, [roll29] cold damage and [roll30] Dex damage, Fort 19 half

1||||||D|||||
2|||||||||||
3|||||||||||
4||||L|u|u|||||
5|||||u|u|||||
6|||||u|u||u|u||
7|||||u|u|F|u|u||
8|||||u|u|||||
9|||||u|u|||||
10|||||||||||
[/table]

Edit: They're CR10 each, so a CR14 encounter, which shouldn't be overly difficult for a 13th level party. The dex damage is only on a successful grapple, not hit. And, well, the fact that only half your party is here at the moment probably doesn't help. :smalltongue:

Arakune
2010-02-14, 07:47 PM
Sallera

Around what round the two spellcasters are coming? Also, in order to hit you need to score hit >= AC or hit > AC?

Sallera
2010-02-14, 07:49 PM
Arakune/Superglucose:>=AC. And assuming they go through with that plan of theirs, they should arrive on either round 3 or round 4, depending on how fast they fly (or fall).

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 07:56 PM
CR 10 maybe, but they apparently get total and complete surprise even though they literally couldn't see me.

Arakune
2010-02-14, 07:57 PM
Sallera

[roll0]
[roll1]

taltamir
2010-02-14, 08:08 PM
ok we seem to have gone out of sync here.
jozen has not yet replied. And it seems that some of the party are in combat without us. We would have come down immediately after them... how soon? well, we would have taken maybe a minute to break the glass and then jumped in after them. and if magical flight has acceleration then we would have caught up (is flying downwards faster then falling down due to gravity alone?)

did it take them less then a minute from the moment they reached the bottom of the shaft to start fighting?

if jozen wasn't willing to help, and I saw that my strength is not sufficient to break it, then I'd just use a casting of shatter.

Timing (t is in seconds):
t=0: lyddia and mcfighter jump down the shaft, jozen is AFK
t=6: ray sees that they are not investigating the cauldron, decides to take it with, he attempts to break glass, if fails, uses shatter.
t=12 or 18, maybe a little later depending on what jozen would have done, under 60 for sure: ray jumps down after lyddia and mcfighter, jozen still AFK
t=some time later: lydda and mcfighter fighting undead, ray is AFK and jozen AFK

we need to resync because some of us are "there" but are apperantly just standing there with a stupid expression not taking part in the battle.

Arakune
2010-02-14, 08:20 PM
Why do want to break the shaft? Why not simply jump in?

taltamir
2010-02-14, 08:31 PM
i am not breaking the shaft,

the shaft is fairly wide, at its top it is covered in glass, to this glass a cauldron full of water is glued. We broke a hole (via which you jumped) in the glass.
when we broke the hole in it, a scaly hand CAME OUT of the cauldron and gave us the finger. The cauldron is hanging from the glass still (albeit less securely then before because we broke a whole).
I intend to break it completely free and take it with us down the shaft. I wanted to investigate it here before going down the shaft, but when I asked about it you and lydda ignored it and just jumped down instead.
jozen has been AFK the whole time so I have no idea what his input his.

May I make a suggestion? if someone tries to take an action:
if it is a short action (eg, cast a spell), then it happens, another player may interrupt if he is quick enough, but after a little IRL time he loses the option to.
if it is a longer action (eg, I walk for an hour, I sleep for 8 hours, I jump down a very deep shaft, etc). Then "pause" for that player until every other player has said what they will do in that duration before advancing time

EX: when lydda and mcfighter jump down the shaft and it will take them 10 minutes to reach the bottom, then the 10 minutes should NOT be advanced until the other players get to say what they intend to do during those minutes. Then all actions happens and time can be advanced.

otherwise, merely being AFK splits the party.

Sallera
2010-02-14, 09:06 PM
Aye, no worries on that count. Provided the breaking and entering goes as planned, you should arrive at the battle shortly.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-15, 06:56 AM
jozen, do you have magical flight on? do you agree to help?

"What was the last time you saw a cleric fly? Regardless, I will try in anyway possible, I suggest we jump after them, splitting up is always a bad Idea."

OoC: Why do you people insist on posting whenever I'm asleep? Anyway I was under the impression that you'd somehow investigate, not jump into the unknown, if I would have known that I would have insisted on joining you immediately. Assuming that I helped Ray(taltamir) with the glass and we jumped after the others shortly afterwards as indicated seems the best way to continue.

Sallera
2010-02-15, 02:37 PM
Alright, so you'll arrive about when I expected. Namely, about now. As you grab the cauldron and start falling in, a small blue-scaled head with bulbous black eyes pokes out of the water. However, it doesn't have time to say much more than "What in the Nine are you..." before you feel a slight nudge and emerge into the middle of an ongoing battle. The room you stand in appears to be carved out of the inside of a glacier, and is around fifty feet to a side. Current occupants include three ogre-sized shells of ice containing human corpses, and one Fighter McFighter, currently in the grasp of one of said shells.

Ray init: [roll0]
Jozan init: [roll1]

Lydda, Fighter, and Ray are up.

Right, map would be good.
1||||||D|||||
2|||||||||||
3|||||||||||
4||||L|u|u|||||
5|||||u|u|||||
6|||R||u|u||u|u||
7|||J||u|u|F|u|u||
8|||||u|u|||||
9|||||u|u|||||
10|||||||||||
[/table]

Superglucose
2010-02-15, 02:43 PM
Ayup. Autofail that strength check.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-15, 03:42 PM
Free action, identifying our opponents:
[roll0]

Sallera
2010-02-15, 03:49 PM
No results.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-15, 04:05 PM
OoC:
well, at least we know they have more then 14 HD

taltamir
2010-02-15, 04:31 PM
Ray also tries to identify the opponents:
Knowledge (Religion) : [roll0]
Knowledge (Planes) : [roll1]
Knowledge (Arcana) : [roll2]
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) : [roll3]

taltamir
2010-02-15, 04:34 PM
Right, map would be good.
1||||||D|||||
2|||||||||||
3|||||||||||
4||||L|u|u|||||
5|||||u|u|||||
6|||R||u|u||u|u||
7|||J||u|u|F|u|u||
8|||||u|u|||||
9|||||u|u|||||
10|||||||||||
[/table]

what is the D at 1-F.
I assume L = Lydda, R=Ray, J=Jozen, and F=Fighter
there are 3 ogre sized opponents, where are they?
does u=unpassable?
how big is each box? 5x5 feet?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-15, 04:44 PM
D is the door, I assumed the u's were the ogre sized Undead creatures(they are described as corpses after all).

taltamir
2010-02-15, 04:58 PM
since they are large (and thus tall), can I hit all of them them from above with a fireball without hitting any of my companions? (aka, put the fireball's epicenter 35 feet above ground; so it burns their top half)?

D is the door, I assumed the u's were the ogre sized Undead creatures(they are described as corpses after all).

I thought there were only 3. I see now that she meant 3 + 1 (grappling fighter), each is 10x10 ft... also I see she said the room is 50x50. so that means each square has to be 5x5.

Sallera
2010-02-15, 05:12 PM
Ordinarily, I'd say yes you can, but one of them's currently grappling Fighter. Although... he's probably still counted as being in his space, so yeh, go ahead. Ignore the fourth one by Lydda, they're both currently 20ft underneath the ice. Just forgot to remove them from the map.

Arakune
2010-02-15, 05:20 PM
Sallera:

I forgot that my current AC is 32 because of the Magic Vestment +4. My normal AC is 31 because of the heavy shield +3 (+5 total), Fullplate +3 (+11 total), 13 dex (+1), and the Ioun Stone (+1), and the Defending Shield Spikes +1 (+1 AC) and ring of protection +2, making it 31. With the buff it's 32. That makes me Ungrappled and undamaged. Is that okay or we start to count that on the next battle?

Sallera
2010-02-15, 05:22 PM
Oh, I see. Yes, in that case, Fighter's not even grappled, so you're clear for burning things.

Arakune
2010-02-15, 05:26 PM
That was a close call :smalleek::smallsigh:
If frigging DODGE was at least against all enemies I'm aweare of, then I could pull that off alone.

taltamir
2010-02-15, 06:05 PM
well well. Let's set things on FIRE!

err, actually. did any of my knowledge checks I made earlier work? my action's might change depending on what I find out.

Sallera
2010-02-15, 06:06 PM
No, they didn't.

taltamir
2010-02-15, 06:19 PM
alright. fair enough.
Free Action:
Yell: Incoming Nuke! Duck and cover!
Standard Action:
I grab hold of my rod (of lesser maximize) and cast a spell.
DM + Anyone who makes a DC18 spellcraft check read this spoiler:
The spell is an empowered fireball cast through the rod of maximize for a maximized-empowered-fireball. doing 60+5d6 fire damage, reflex save DC21 for half.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireball.htm

It allows SR, let me know if I need to roll spell penetration.

Also, I was wrong before; it is a 20' radius not 30' radius. I place it just high enough in the air to hit them and not my party mates

For my quickened spell and move action, I will decide when I see the results of this attack.

EDIT: I accidently opened a spoiler and closed a quote tag... fixed it so its now a spiler : /EDIT

taltamir
2010-02-15, 06:20 PM
well crap. I messed that post up.
It doesn't seem to have taken the roll so let me try it again:
60+5d6

taltamir
2010-02-15, 06:22 PM
Well, I thought it was the broken spoiler tag that made it not work... but that obviously isn't it, could it be that the roller doesn't work if I use bonus+dice instead of dice+bonus?
Let me try it the other way around: [roll0]

Sallera
2010-02-15, 06:25 PM
The three shells surrounding Fighter collapse silently under the searing heat, melting into the ice beneath them and leaving behind three well-preserved corpses.

taltamir
2010-02-15, 07:26 PM
Fighter, are you alright? and where is lydda?

Arakune
2010-02-15, 08:01 PM
I don't know exactly. One of the monsters got her, and I think it dragged her somewhere. Around there, and she is nearby! Watch out, there are still more monsters!

Pointing at general direction of Lydda. Tell me if I need any check to determine position.

Superglucose
2010-02-15, 08:30 PM
MMM MMM!!!

If you have a telepathic link with Lydda:

BAD TOUCH!

Sallera
2010-02-15, 09:46 PM
1||||||D|||||
2|||||||||||
3|||||||||||
4||||L|u|u|||||
5|||||u|u|||||
6|||R||||||||
7|||J||||F||||
8|||||||||||
9|||||||||||
10|||||||||||
[/table]

Resurfacing, the fourth creature takes a swipe at the nearest squishy target.
Attacking Ray: [roll0]
If hit, opposed grapple vs. [roll3]
If success, [roll4] cold damage and [roll5] dex damage, Fort 19 for half

Party's turns.

taltamir
2010-02-15, 09:56 PM
note: I really should have taken to the air. :P

If success, [roll4] cold damage and [roll5] dex damage, Fort 19 for half
means fort save to half dex damage only? or dex damage and cold damage from this attack?

Fort save: [roll0]

taltamir
2010-02-15, 09:59 PM
fort save passed. Ray takes 26 HP damage and 3 dex damage.

current status:

HP: 80
HD: 12
Damage: 26 Lethal, 0 non-lethal, 3 dex

(aka, current life is at 54 out of 80HP)

EDIT:
Current initiative:
Lydda: 21
Fighter: 17
Ray init: 13
Enemies: 11
Jozan init: 9

Ok, enemies just went. Its now jozan's move.

Sallera
2010-02-15, 10:49 PM
Just halves the dex damage.

taltamir
2010-02-15, 11:39 PM
Just halves the dex damage.

thanks for the clarification. That is what I did.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-16, 02:01 AM
"You dealt with those abominations with great efficiency, let's see if I can do the same"

Jozan casts Searing Light, no defensive casting is necessary, but
I auto succeed on the check so I'm casting it defensively anyway.

[roll0]

If target is undead:
[roll1]

If target is undead and "particularly vulnerable to bright light":
[roll2]

No save.

Sallera
2010-02-16, 02:03 AM
The light refracts through the shell of ice, bouncing in all directions and searing the corpse inside, but the creature still stands.

Arakune
2010-02-16, 10:01 AM
Since the Creature is being grappling Ray, I assume he can't make AoO.

I will then move a little bit behind and will make a partial charge at him dropping the shield and wielding the axe twohanded, Power Attacking for -7/+14

[roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]

Base damage is +9 (Strx1,5) +4 (Magic) + 4 (Specialization) +14 (Power Attack)

Edit: ... Just to make sure: you can't make 5ft steps before full attacks, correct?

Edit2: Forget that, I'm full attacking. And I need more practice with meele types.

Arakune
2010-02-16, 10:14 AM
I will drop the shield and 5ft step closer to the enemy and full attack wielding the axe two handed, power attacking for -5/+10

[roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7] [roll8]

Sallera
2010-02-16, 12:50 PM
You hack away at the ice, but it does not seem at all irritated, merely shifting one arm and deflecting each blow harmlessly away.

taltamir
2010-02-16, 04:00 PM
my turn again... am I still being grappled? can I cast anything?

Sallera
2010-02-16, 04:06 PM
You are still grappled, yes, so you can cast anything that lacks somatic and material components with the appropriate concentration check, or you can use a full round to retrieve a material component.

taltamir
2010-02-16, 04:55 PM
I have a dimension door prepared. I also have a quickened scorching ray prepared, it has no material components. V and S, quickened doesn't draw attack of opportunity, but what does that mean for V and S? does it still need a "swift" S component to function?

Sallera
2010-02-16, 05:03 PM
Anything with a somatic (S) component can't be cast while grappling.

taltamir
2010-02-16, 08:35 PM
Alright. I cast dimension door to get out of grapple. I aim myself 50 feet above the ground (I have all day flight on).
It takes a DC20 concentration check which I can't fail [roll0]. (you don't autofail skill checks on a nat 1, right? I will roll anyways)

If successful, I follow with a quickened scorching:
ranged touch attack 1: [roll1] for [4d6] fire damage.
ranged touch attack 2: [roll2] for [4d6] fire damage.
ranged touch attack 3: [roll3] for [4d6] fire damage.

taltamir
2010-02-16, 08:37 PM
ack, messed up the syntax for the damage, sorry.
The to hit worked so I will keep it, I will just roll damage in this post

ranged touch attack 1: 16 for [roll0] fire damage.
ranged touch attack 2: 21 for [roll1] fire damage.
ranged touch attack 3: 18 for [roll2] fire damage.

Sallera
2010-02-16, 08:46 PM
DC20 + spell level, actually, not that it mattered. The rays melt large holes in the creature's carapace, but it still stands. Silently turning to the only annoyance still in reach, it takes a pair of swings at Fighter.
Opposed grapple, if hit: [roll3]
Damage on successful grapple: [roll4] cold, and [roll5] dex, Fort 19 for half
Attack 2: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7] + [roll8] cold
Opposed grapple, if hit: [roll9]
Damage on successful grapple: [roll10] cold, and [roll11] dex, Fort 19 for half

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-17, 02:09 AM
"Apparently it is resistant to ordinary attacks, let's see how it handles the cleansing fire of Pelor"

Jozan takes a 5-foot step back out of the creatures range(I assume the creature hasn't moved) and casts Flame strike(still at a CL of 17) at the intersection of FG3-4(again assuming no movement), a cylinder of fire appears there with a radius of 10 feet and 40 feet high.
[roll0] This damage is half divine damage, half fire damage
DC 22 reflex save for half damage

Sallera
2010-02-17, 02:21 AM
Regardless of success or failure, the final shell melts completely, unable to withstand the fiery assault. A small assortment of scattered coin, gems and jewellery, along with a pair of gauntlets and a set of thieves' tools, can be picked out of the wet snow and various corpses, for anyone who cares to try.

Arakune
2010-02-17, 12:33 PM
28 dmg, [roll0]

Lydda! Wait for me, lady!

Fighter will start to dig around she was supposed to be, and when successful he will thank both Ray and Jozan, also apologising for being reckless and unable to protect her.

Arakune
2010-02-17, 12:35 PM
Opposed grapple, just in case:

[roll0]

Edit: ARGH!

Arakune
2010-02-17, 12:41 PM
[roll0]

Just in case. And now that I see it, their grapple check is quite low for a large creature.

Edit: something that didn't mattered...

Superglucose
2010-02-17, 12:48 PM
You dig out a shivvering and cold halfling woman who's hair is utterly soaked. She stammers out Fire and brandy and gestures towards the wizard.

taltamir
2010-02-17, 05:53 PM
Regardless of success or failure, the final shell melts completely, unable to withstand the fiery assault. A small assortment of scattered coin, gems and jewellery, along with a pair of gauntlets and a set of thieves' tools, can be picked out of the wet snow and various corpses, for anyone who cares to try.
I very much do care to try. How much specifically?

Ray drapes a blanket across lydda's shoulders. here, this will help he says. I am all out of whiskey though.

then he begins setting a fire to warm up with.

As he builds the fire, ray turns to his companions and says:
in our rush to follow we have left the carts and mules upstairs. Does anyone here have non-planer space containers such as a handy haversack, bag of holding, or portable hole? If so, would you mind going upstairs with me or letting me carry it for a bit so I could load a few of the more important items in it?

Also, we need to check up on the cauldron he points at the cauldron
Because there is definitely something alive in it, alive, scaly, and foul mouthed

Sallera
2010-02-17, 06:28 PM
A thorough search will reveal several small sacks of silver totalling 9000sp, a silver and pearl ring, thieves' tools, 190 scattered pp, a sapphire, a star ruby, a steel ring with golden tracery, a few large purses of gold to the total of 2600gp, a black onyx, an amythest bracelet, a pair of gauntlets, an unset pearl, a pearl brooch, and an crystal amulet. Evidently these undead were either rather wealthy before being entombed in ice, or they've killed a lot of adventurers.

More distressingly, there does not appear to be any way to get back. The only visible exit from this room is the door in front of you.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-17, 06:29 PM
"How often do I have to tell you this: sprits are not the solution to hypothermia, it makes matters worse, you should stick to the blanket and don't get to close to the fire either, you should get warmed up gradually." Jozan sighs "I swear by Pelor that you guys would have killed yourself a long time ago if it wasn't for me."

Superglucose
2010-02-17, 06:29 PM
Sure, I've got a haversack! Lydda slides it off her back and empties the 15 lbs of food she had stored. Since Jozan is here I suspect we won't need these.

OOC: Seriously I had like 40ish gp left and couldn't decide what to spend it on, so I bought a ton of food just in case we didn't end up with a Cleric.

Lydda giggles a bit, It may not be a cure for hypothermia, but it's certainly a cure for the memory of those horrid corpses with their claws all over me!

Arakune
2010-02-18, 08:47 AM
The shivering will take some time to heal, but I'm mostly fine.

How long does it take for me to heal the 3 dex damage?

Sallera
2010-02-18, 12:20 PM
Same as any other ability damage, 1 point per day.

taltamir
2010-02-18, 02:20 PM
Do keep the food, his spells have more important uses than conjuring food.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-19, 07:51 AM
"I have some spells that will help against the shivering, one is a bit expensive though, so we should only use it if we really need it"

OoC: I can cast restoration(costs: 100gp in diamond dust) and lesser restoration(free, but only heals 1d4 ability damage), personally I'd rather save the restoration for level and ability drain.

Arakune
2010-02-19, 08:55 AM
Use it on Lydda first. She received the most damage. I belive her treatment is in your hands too, so do as you wish if she aggress.

Superglucose
2010-02-19, 02:01 PM
I'm down... 5 dex.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-19, 06:11 PM
Jozan Casts Lesser Restoration on Lydda, healing the following amount of [roll0].

OoC: Well this is exactly the the type of situation where I prepare lesser restoration for, so I'm using it.

Edit: That was hardly worth the trouble.

Arakune
2010-02-19, 06:27 PM
I predict hilarity on the folowing days...

What do we do now?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-19, 08:12 PM
I predict hilarity on the folowing days...

What do we do now?
In character? heal up, go through the door and quite likely, get into trouble again. Out of character? Whatever you want!(TM)

By the way how much damage did you all take, I can use a wand to heal you all back up to full health.

IC:
"You all also took some hits from those abominations, please let me heal you before we continue."

Arakune
2010-02-20, 10:05 AM
I took 28 dmg + 3 Dex damage. The dex damage won't change much my fighting capacity.

taltamir
2010-02-20, 12:38 PM
I took 26 Lethal, 3 dex damage.
I have 2 more daily uses on my rod of maximize. if you have another lesser restore it can ensure this one heals max score. My dex damage is low priority, but I would think lydda needs her dex (what with being a rogue).

Do you have detect magic prepared? can you see if any of the items we looted are magical?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-20, 04:48 PM
I don't have an other lesser restoration prepared, I'll remember your rods the next time. I do have detect magic prepared.

Jozan uses his wand of cure light wounds to cure The others.

Mcfighter:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
Ray:
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-20, 04:50 PM
And another one for Ray:
[roll0]

taltamir
2010-02-20, 11:05 PM
thank you very much.

Current Damage: 1 Lethal, 0 non-lethal, 3 dex

Would you mind casting that detect magic on the items we looted to see which ones are magical?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-21, 07:49 AM
I only have one casting of it, but sure, I cast detect magic on the loot to see if there are any magic items.

Sallera
2010-02-21, 12:23 PM
The thieves' tools, the steel and gold ring, the crystal amulet, and the gauntlets register. Spellcraft checks?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-21, 02:31 PM
I don't "do" spellcraft, but I guess I don't have anything to lose either.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

yeee, I can identify cantrips.

taltamir
2010-02-21, 03:31 PM
I will prepare it starting tomorrow. I think my spellcraft bonus is +26 IIRC.
For some reason I prepared a bunch of other SL0 spells but not that one.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-21, 04:23 PM
It's partially because most cantrips are situational, so you want to have a wide variety of them, but you don't get bonus cantrip slots for some reason, so you can never have them all.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-22, 03:00 PM
OoC: So Superglucose, do you need some healing or shall we continue in character?

Superglucose
2010-02-22, 03:02 PM
ooc: I'm down 30 points, but as a rule my characters never talk about how hurt they are. You could tell though, since you're a cleric.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-22, 04:13 PM
OoC: I'll remember that
IC: Jozan heals Lydda with his wand of cure light wounds
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-22, 04:18 PM
"You all look good as new, now McFighter, if you would do the honours and open the door, we'll see what else this strange realm has to offer us, I'll hold the rear."

OoC: it occurred to me that I'm going through my CLW wands a lot faster than I thought I would, for the next encounter, I'm probably switching to the good old cleric spells per day and see how that goes.

Arakune
2010-02-23, 06:32 AM
Let's proceed then. Everyone, get ready.

Opening the door.

Sallera
2010-02-23, 12:24 PM
The door swings open easily enough, despite the snow. It's difficult to make out what's on the other side; it seems completely dark, even to darkvision, the light on your side stopping abruptly as it reaches the edge of the room.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-24, 06:35 AM
"Stop! This seems to be a darkness of magical nature, do not venture into it, we have no idea what is concealed within it."

"What do you think Ray, should we use a light spell and see what happens, or shall we try to dispel it with brute force directly?"

OoC: sort of important, has it been 10 minutes since I cast my buffs? I assume not, but I'd like to have it clear before I start casting more magic.

Arakune
2010-02-24, 07:31 AM
We can use the copses of those creatures to discover the nature of the darkness. We will lose a probable element of surprise, but I won't count on it based on THIS experience...

Sallera
2010-02-24, 12:16 PM
It has probably been more than ten minutes. McFighter's done a lot of digging, and Lydda had to be thawed.

taltamir
2010-02-24, 09:16 PM
I cast magic missile at the darkness :P
Just kidding.

I examine the darkness and try to figure out its nature:
Knowledge (Int) (Religion) [wizard]:
Knowledge (Int) (Planes) [wizard]: [roll1]
Knowledge (Int) (Arcana) [wizard]: [roll2]
Knowledge (Int) (Dungeoneering) [wizard]: [roll3]
Spellcraft (Int) [wizard] [loremaster]:[roll]1d20+ 25

taltamir
2010-02-24, 09:18 PM
oops, had a space there. between the 20 and the +25.
Spellcraft (Int) [wizard] [loremaster]:[roll0]
this forum roller is really picky

Sallera
2010-02-24, 09:39 PM
Near as you can tell, this looks like another portal.

taltamir
2010-02-25, 12:24 AM
wait! do not go through the darkness.
Firstly, it is a portal. Secondly, we have STILL not checked out the cauldron which is clearly harboring a small scaly sentient speaking creature.

I go carefully examin the cauldron

taltamir
2010-02-25, 12:25 AM
I carefully inspect the cauldron, do I find anything unusual?

Knowledge (Int) (Religion) [wizard]: [roll0]
Knowledge (Int) (Planes) [wizard]: [roll1]
Knowledge (Int) (Arcana) [wizard]: [roll2]
Knowledge (Int) (Dungeoneering) [wizard]: [roll3]
Spellcraft (Int) [wizard] [loremaster]:[roll4]

Sallera
2010-02-25, 12:43 AM
How do you go about inspecting it?

taltamir
2010-02-25, 03:59 PM
I walk up to it and look at it closely from all sides. I ask my imp familiar to use detect magic and detect good to look at it as well (at will abilities). Detect magic should also make any invisible arcane marks noticeable.
I have held the top before, if I see nothing of note, I knock on it a few times (as one would knock on a door).
jozen is also welcome to take a look (since his detect magic should still be on).

btw, as an elf I get the following "An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it."
So I also search for concealed compartments and tiny doors on it.

if after all of the above I find nothing, I poke the water with a stick and see if it is "real" water or if it behaves "wrong".

Sallera
2010-02-25, 04:10 PM
Your divinations don't pick up anything, but after you knock on it a few times, the muddy water shifts, and a small head pops up; humanoid in shape and halfling-sized, but with blue scales and black eyes. It shakes its head blearily as it looks around, then seems to focus on you, glaring intently. "What - do - you - want? I'm trying to sleep off a hangover, here, and you keep banging around, breaking things..."

Superglucose
2010-02-25, 04:13 PM
You don't like breaking things? Lydda appears genuinely puzzled. Also why do you live in a pot?

Sallera
2010-02-25, 04:32 PM
It shifts its head to look at you, apparently having trouble focusing at that distance. "Breaking things quietly, I'd have no objection to. Smashing a plate above my head, or whatever that was, not quite the same thing. And I don't live in the pot."

Superglucose
2010-02-25, 04:58 PM
Then where do you live, and why are you not the... Lydda starts before a grin appears on her face and she covers her mouth with her hand, Troubles at home? she giggles.

Sallera
2010-02-25, 05:07 PM
"Lady, I don't even know where here is, or why you thought a pot of muddy water worth stealing. Just put it back in the kitchen when you get back to the castle." With that, he spits a gobbet of mud onto the ice, then sinks back beneath the surface. The mud hisses slightly as it dissolves.

Superglucose
2010-02-25, 05:11 PM
Well I see he's thoroughly confused, I haven't seen a castle for days!

taltamir
2010-02-25, 06:47 PM
I am curious as to why he thinks we stole him out of a castle. But he obviously has quite a hang over. I think the polite and non alienating course of action will be to set up camp and wait a little while until he sleeps it off, then we can converse with him about the situation.
unless someone has a "remove hangover" spell?

Sallera, after getting a good look at it and talking to it, do we have any clue what type of creature it is? a kobold? something else?
If I recognize what type of creature it is, can I make a guess as to it's gender?

Sallera
2010-02-25, 06:50 PM
It appears to be a male water mephit.

Arakune
2010-02-26, 06:40 AM
Sorry, Father Jozan used all of his 'Remove Hangover' on me.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-02-26, 11:55 AM
"I somehow doubt he'd let an unknown cleric cast spells on him anyway."

taltamir
2010-03-04, 04:24 PM
lets get this going again shall we?

I say we do the following, we each cast a vote of "yes" or "no" for the idea of camping until the water mephit's hangover is gone and he is willing to talk.
If every says yes, then we do so right away. If someone says no, please suggest an alternative course of action, which resets the voting and we do whichever suggestions wins.

Fighter:
Lydda:
Ray: Yes
Jozen:

Please use the above chart, just add your own vote.
when sallera, please just go ahead with it whenever it is full. (but lets not jump the gun, even if 3 people vote yes, we need the last person to vote to make sure he/she doesn't have a better idea or vehement objections that need to be addressed)

Superglucose
2010-03-04, 04:34 PM
yes!.....................

taltamir
2010-03-04, 08:19 PM
excellent, thats:
Fighter:
Lydda: Yes
Jozen:

only two more. jozen, fighter, you in?

Arakune
2010-03-04, 10:00 PM
I vote yes, since we are in even numbers that settles the score. But we need to make think about how to distribute the night shift, and if the climate in the room is warm enough for us.

Sallera
2010-03-04, 10:32 PM
It's not particularly comfortable inside the glacier, but it would be possible to stay the night with a minimal degree of protection from the cold. Whether this is feasible likely depends on what you have without the cart.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-05, 07:59 AM
Fighter: Yes
Lydda: Yes
Jozen: Fine with either choice

I have one casting of endure elements prepared and two resist energies(don't help technically, but it would sort of make sense if they did) prepared to make the night more comfortable.

I also have most of my spells left so continueing into the unknown would also be fine.

On a unrelated note, I'll be gone tomorrow and I won't be back until Sunday evening, I don't think it will be a problem, but if we decide to camp, feel free to claim any of my spells without expensive material components and assume I cast them on you, following the simple formula of first the claim is the first to get.

taltamir
2010-03-05, 09:12 AM
if you need, here is my item sheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApcEvOA-L4zcdGtCQndydlJyZ3F1alVleFhva3JrNFE&hl=en

I also have rope trick prepared, so that will give us shelter for 13 hours. (I will not be casting it until I can get my next day's spell prepared while still inside it. no risking it.)
and disintegrate can be used to cut us a nice igloo. (ice is a fairly good insulator).

mmm. I wonder if I could teleport to the cart... how would I go about trying to figure out if we are still in the same demiplane as before?

taltamir
2010-03-05, 04:10 PM
sallera, how many hours has it been since we finished preparing spells this morning?

Sallera
2010-03-05, 05:44 PM
Probably only two or three hours. As far as you can tell, this does seem to be a different demiplane from the one you were initially deposited in. (Resist Energy (Cold) will indeed protect you from cold temperatures.)

taltamir
2010-03-05, 05:52 PM
ok than. We have reached consensus and will be camping until our little scaly friend recovers later this day.
Or tomorrow morning (where we can alter our spell list), whichever happens first.
we have magic to protect from elements, 10 hours from now I will cast rope trick if we are still camping. (that is also the point at which my all day buffs run out)

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-08, 03:58 AM
I'm casting endure elements on myself, resist(cold) on Ray and Lydda, fighter will just have to roll a fort save.

I'll roll a survival check to shelter us from the cold.
[roll0]

Arakune
2010-03-08, 08:18 AM
[roll0]

I will take the first shift, since I don't need to sleep too much.

taltamir
2010-03-08, 08:45 PM
since we have only been awake for 3 hours, and I have a long duration rope trick, we don't actually need to take shifts, we should all be wide awake and alert for quite some time yet, and we will be going into a rope trick before anyone gets sleepy. (if we even have to wait this long... I never had a hangover before, how long do those last?)

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-09, 08:05 AM
I doubt water mephit physiology is similar to human physiology, so we can't really tell how long his hangover will last even if we know what caused it.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-11, 04:40 AM
I'm not sure whether to continue this OoC talk here or in the OoC thread, but I'd like to talk about spell selection with you guys.

First I've decided to use spells from my spells per day slots before using a wand of CLW. Second I'm obviously preparing a few lesser restorations tomorrow, I was thinking about three, but I could also prepare one extra as back up for if I roll a one. Third, I was thinking of preparing air walk, an, IMO, poor level 4 spell, but it's the closest thing to flight that I have. Forth, should I prepare more castings of "heal"? It is my best in combat healing spell.
So what do you guys think about those points?

Any other suggestion, tips and questions are welcome of course.

Arakune
2010-03-12, 06:29 PM
For me you don't need to prepare too much heal spells.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-14, 03:11 PM
So... Let's do the time hop then!

Sallera
2010-03-14, 05:06 PM
You keep watch on the cauldron for the rest of the day, but there has been no sign of the mephit emerging by the time you retreat from the cold to the relative comfort of the Rope Trick. When you emerge the next morning, the cauldron appears the same as the previous day, save for a thin crust of ice on the top.

Arakune
2010-03-15, 08:47 AM
Maybe that creature hangover lasts for a century?

Superglucose
2010-03-15, 10:37 AM
Then someone needs to teach it how to hold its booze.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-15, 04:59 PM
"Actually, it would be more useful right now if he would lose his booze"

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-20, 06:05 PM
"We basically have two choices now, we can either awake the mephit and see if it want to talk, or we can carry on through the strange portal."

"As it is we've now waited a day here, but we haven't tried talking yet, so I suggest we proceed with that."

taltamir
2010-03-21, 01:41 PM
agreed, lets wake it up.

Arakune
2010-03-21, 05:39 PM
Should I do it the dwarven way? It's a sure way for him to listen. :smallbiggrin:

Note: Don't let him do it.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-22, 06:03 AM
"Please do just that McFighter."

Arakune
2010-03-24, 12:57 PM
It's not a helmet and it's not an battle hammer, but it's close enough.

With that McFighter starts to shake the cauldron with the delicacy only the dwarven race have (while slamming the axe in the cauldroun to make more noise), while shouting:

WAKE UP KID! DO YOU WANT TO WIN A SLEEP CONTEST AGAINST A STATUE? A ROCK IS MORE ALIVE THAN YOU!

Sallera
2010-03-24, 01:08 PM
The thin layer of ice shatters in response to McFighter's persuasive argument, and muddy water splashes across the snow. There is no response from within, however, and even tipping the heavy cauldron out on the snow reveals nothing but water. Your guest appears to have gone missing.

Superglucose
2010-03-24, 01:09 PM
Jerk. He could have stuck around.

taltamir
2010-03-24, 01:12 PM
how peculiar...
could something have gotten to it while we were resting? could it have walked away or flown away? we should look around the ground for tracks. Also lets examine the inside of the cauldron.

can a water mephit turn into water/invisible in water?

Also, I instruct my familiar to use his detect magic on the cauldron (outside and inside).

Sallera
2010-03-24, 01:44 PM
There are no traces of magic anywhere around the cauldron. Enough searching however, does reveal a set of small tracks leading from the cauldron to the door out. Could be the ones you're looking for.

Superglucose
2010-03-24, 01:47 PM
Lydda follows them.

Sallera
2010-03-24, 02:16 PM
They lead through the door, past which you cannot see. Are you following them through?

Superglucose
2010-03-24, 03:10 PM
If the rest of the party follows, yes.

taltamir
2010-03-24, 06:50 PM
I am for it... but lets be ready for anything. Last time we were teleported to this room and set about by those monsters.

Note: If we do go across, I try to fly into open air ASAP rather then stick close to the ground.

ps. does anyone have a source of identify castings to identify the magic items we looted here? also, who is actually carrying them right now?

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-25, 05:15 AM
ps. does anyone have a source of identify castings to identify the magic items we looted here? also, who is actually carrying them right now?

OoC: You were supposed to prepare castings of detect magic today remember?

IC:
"Well that takes care of that option, I say we take the cauldron, just in case. We should go after him, but first I need to heal and strengthen us for the journey ahead."

Jozan casts Lesser Restoration on McFighter, Ray and Lydda.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
OoC: remember everyone of you also healed one dex damage during the night.
Edit: O yes, naturally, I've now cast this bloody spell four times and I've rolled 1 four times.

taltamir
2010-03-25, 09:01 AM
Good idea jozen, we will carry it with us.

OOC:
As soon as fighter says he is also ready we can go.

thanks for the restore jozen (thats some string of nat 1s), I am now at -1 dex, I will be fine tomorrow. (although who knows what else is waiting to drain us)

I did prepare detect magic (and my familiar can do it at will & shares all my skills)... but we need actual identifies don't we? (I stuck to core only so I don't have an artificer monocle if that is what you are asking).
I do have the identify spell in my spell-book. But I don't have any pearls (worth 100gp each) to cast it.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-03-25, 10:31 AM
OoC: yes, detect magic usually isn't sufficient, but maybe once we know some more we can make some guesses and experiment with the items to find out what they are.