PDA

View Full Version : Combat Chameleon - Fighter Feat

Lysander
2009-12-04, 12:15 PM
A little something to give fighters more of an edge. What do you think?

Combat Chameleon
Combat Chameleon is a wild card feat that has no pre-set benefit. As a free action Combat Chameleon allows you to pick any two fighter bonus feats you qualify for and flip a coin to gain the benefit of one of them. This benefit lasts and cannot be switched for 6 hours, after which you may pick two new feats to try copying. Combat Chameleon does not count as the feats it copies for the purposes of providing prerequisites.

Improved Combat Chameleon
Prerequisite: Combat Chameleon

Improved Combat Chameleon gives you a second wildcard feat that operates just as Combat Chameleon, except when one replicates a feat it can serve as a prerequisite for the other to replicate higher tier feats based off whatever you simulate. Should your wildcard acting as a prerequisite switch to a different feat you lose all benefit of your other wildcard until you can switch it.

EdroGrimshell
2009-12-04, 03:02 PM
A bit wierd, but i like it. It may be a bit overpowered but it's definitely not underpowered.

Milskidasith
2009-12-04, 03:16 PM
Since it only gives you one feats, I'd much rather stick with actually taking the feats, so my build can actually work. Granted, sometimes switching feats is useful, but generally... not so much. Plus, if I need to, Psychic Reformation is far better than this.

Vericrat
2009-12-04, 03:22 PM
I think it might be better if the original feat lets you select your feats at the beginning of each encounter and the second lets you make another attempt once per encounter.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-04, 03:31 PM
Psychic Reformation can only change your feats on levels where you actually gained one.

This is more useful than that in the grand scheme, though i'd probably set it so that you could get teh feat you want as a Full action.

Milskidasith
2009-12-04, 03:36 PM
Psychic Reformation can only change your feats on levels where you actually gained one.

It can change every feat you ever got, for 50 EXP per level you go back. Please read the power before making false claims.

This power costs 50 XP to manifest to reformat choices made when the character reached her current level. For each additional previous level into which the revision reaches, the power costs an additional 50 XP. The manifester and subject split all XP costs evenly. So for 25 EXP per level each (a paltry amount), your psion buddy/cohort can change all your feats. Fun!

This is more useful than that in the grand scheme, though i'd probably set it so that you could get teh feat you want as a Full action.

No, spending a feat to get one of two random feats is not more useful than the ability to repick all your feats, or indeed even more useful than actually getting a real feat.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-04, 03:46 PM
I didn't read the special thing at the bottom. [shrug] Seems ridiculously powerful for a 4th level power compared to the ability, Psychic Surgery, that used to do that [never read that one].

For reference, you needn't be so sharp. You could have just pointed out that there's a bit at the bottom; it was fairly obvious that i'd not read that part of the description. Being sharp just makes people get rilled up and wander off still convinced that they were right.

Milskidasith
2009-12-04, 03:50 PM
I didn't read the special thing at the bottom. [shrug] Seems ridiculously powerful for a 4th level power compared to the ability, Psychic Surgery, that used to do that [never read that one].

It's the EXP cost of the power, you need to know that to actually manifest it. That seems fairly important, it isn't like it's the material component of a spell or something that doesn't matter.

For reference, you needn't be so sharp. You could have just pointed out that there's a bit at the bottom; it was fairly obvious that i'd not read that part of the description. Being sharp just makes people get rilled up and wander off still convinced that they were right.

My pet peeve happens to be when people assert that I am wrong when I am not despite their lack of knowledge on the subject (in this case, that specific power). Excuse me if I act sharp because of that.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-04, 04:02 PM
I stopped reading after the words "50xp to manifest." I bow to your superior knowledge on this. It makes me wonder why Wizards designed the retraining rules rather than just making this into a spell...

I was personally thinking that Wild Card feats work nicely in Iron Heroes, while rebuilding your character can only be done over 10 minutes using that power; the ability to suddenly have Rapid Shot proved very handy on several occasions in our game.

Surgo
2009-12-04, 04:09 PM
A little something to give fighters more of an edge.
How does this give anyone "more of an edge"? They have access to...the exact same things they had access to before, and nothing more than that.

Lysander
2009-12-04, 05:05 PM
How does this give anyone "more of an edge"? They have access to...the exact same things they had access to before, and nothing more than that.

I'd say flexibility is an edge. For example, let's say you're fighting a room of invisible enemies. Being able to take Blind Fight on the spot is definitely an edge.

Of course it can't be as good as actually having the feat, hence the 50% chance. But being able to pick both feats means that even if you fail to get the one you really want you'll still get something helpful.

Lysander
2009-12-04, 05:15 PM
I edited both feats.

Combat Chameleon now can be changed every 6 hours instead of every 24. Improved Combat Chameleon now grants a second wildcard feat, and lets you use your chameleon feats to replicate higher tier feats.

That means you could pull off cool tricks like suddenly gaining two mounted combat feats when you have none normally. The downside like before is that you can't be sure of what you're going to get, and that chameleon feats don't serve as prerequisites for other feats. You can spend two feats on a meticulously planned build, or have two feats that can be tailored to your situation with a little luck.

Milskidasith
2009-12-04, 05:59 PM
So rather than pay one feat for one feat and another to minimally help the feat, we can pay two feats to have two feats.

Again, Psychic Reformation does it better, as does retraining or just having a build set out in the first place.

Lysander
2009-12-04, 06:07 PM
So rather than pay one feat for one feat and another to minimally help the feat, we can pay two feats to have two feats.

Again, Psychic Reformation does it better, as does retraining or just having a build set out in the first place.

Psychic Reformation is better, but it costs xp and takes time to ready the same way scrolls are better than spell slots. You could also argue that having a priest who can resurrect you is better than having a lot of hitpoints. You still need the hitpoints though. With wildcard feats you can change your abilities depending on the encounter. Need to hit moving targets? Archery feats! Need to ride a horse! Mounted combat! Lost your weapon? Unarmed feats! You'll never be caught unprepared feat-wise. Also, unlike psychic reformation you don't need a psion friend to help you out.

Shyftir
2009-12-04, 06:11 PM
You are missing his point. He can do this repeatedly without an XP loss. He gives up some consistent power in order to be more flexible in odd situations. A similar trade off between (low level) wizard and sorcerer.

It's purposely not as powerful as a consistent build, but means that in certain situations in which one build would be useless, he can be another build and be helpful. It's like being your own twin-brother...