PDA

View Full Version : two questions about fiend folio PRCs

Mystic Muse
2009-12-04, 12:35 PM
in the fiend folio there are 3 PRCs. Fiend of Blasphemy, Fiend of Possession and fiend of corruption. my questions are these.

Does being Tiefling qualify you for these classes?
Are there divine equivalents of these classes?

hamishspence
2009-12-04, 12:54 PM
Haven't seen any divine equivalents.

The exact phrasing is "Outsider with the evil subtype"

So if you can get the evil subtype (Savage Species explains how wish-based rituals can grant or remove subtypes) then you are set.

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-04, 01:00 PM
Try Unholy Scion from Heroes of Horror.

It's a bit expensive, but it's the quickest way I can think of to get those PrCs.

hamishspence
2009-12-04, 01:23 PM
I've checked- alignment ritual is minor, rather than major- making it easier to get than I thought.

Can be cast be a 7th (or higher) level cleric with the appropriate alignment domain.

Cost to the player: 56000 gp, 2240 XP

The ritual has different effects depending on how different the alignment subtype is to the PC's alignment:

Opposed (Good PC, Evil subtype): Make a DC20 will save or die- if you pass, gain subtype, and your alignment changes to match subtype (unless you pass the save by 5 or more.)

Different but not opposed (Neutral PC, Evil subtype): Make DC15 will save- if you fail, the spell also changes your actual subtype, and gives you 1 negative level (or lowers your CON by 1 point if a 1st level character). Also, if you change alignment so it no longer matches, you lose the subtype.

If Will save succeeds, alignment changes, and subtype changes, as normal- and subtype is lost if you change alignment (Again, this does not apply if you pass by 5 or more.)

Same alignment as subtype- DC 10- if you fail, you just don't gain subtype. (you have still spent the gold though, but not the XP)

Note that in this last case, it doesn't say that you will lose the subtype, if you change alignment so it no longer matches.

Nor does it say that for "Opposed."

Only for "Different but not opposed"

Nate the Snake
2009-12-04, 01:30 PM
Try Unholy Scion from Heroes of Horror.

It's a bit expensive, but it's the quickest way I can think of to get those PrCs.

Divine Disciple (PGtF).
-Outsider type with alignment subtypes at ECL 12, LA +0.
-Cleric casting with no lost caster levels.
-Charm and Trickery domains grant the spells and skills to qualify for Fiend of Corruption or Possession.
-Finish Fiend of X pre-epic.

So, do I win? :smalltongue:

Prime32
2009-12-04, 02:44 PM
Otherworldy feat plus Ritual of Alignment on a dvati is just plain silly, since if they become a FoP they can possess two things at once.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-04, 04:38 PM
I was thinking a fiend of corruption actually. not possession. Although I haven't looked too closely at blasphemy.

oxybe
2009-12-04, 04:43 PM
quickest entry into Fiend of Posession is a Kaorti Beguiler 1. a few levels of that can qualify you for Fiend of Corruption.

Kaorti are a weird template-ish race, a la Dragonborn of Bahamut, where a captured humanoid can be forced to endure an 8 hour transformation ritual.

Kaorti are a +2LA +2HD Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar) race found in Fiend Folio.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-04, 09:58 PM
What are the benefits of being a Kaorti? The fiend folio doesn't say. At least not in the Kaorti entry.

hamishspence
2009-12-05, 05:18 AM
Page 109:

Creatures transformed into kaortis retain any class abilities and modify their ability scores by Str-4, Dex +4, Int +4, Cha +6. They become neutral evil and gain all the other abilities and disadvantages of a standard kaorti.

I assume that means you gain :
Vile Transformation,

the spell-like abilities (note that as 3.0 abilities, some, such as alter self, and reduce may need to be changed for 3.5- since they don't work on outsiders)

Material Vulnerabilty, Poison Immunity, +8 racial bonus to Heal, +2 natural armour (in the kaorti statblock.)

Dragon Magazine 358 suggests replacing reduce and alter self, with comprehend languages and disguise self, so they can still be disguised, and they can talk to whoever they want.

Reinboom
2009-12-05, 06:41 AM
quickest entry into Fiend of Posession is a Kaorti Beguiler 1. a few levels of that can qualify you for Fiend of Corruption.

Kaorti are a weird template-ish race, a la Dragonborn of Bahamut, where a captured humanoid can be forced to endure an 8 hour transformation ritual.

Kaorti are a +2LA +2HD Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar) race found in Fiend Folio.

There's faster. Manual of the Planes had the vaguely Slaad looking ECL 0 outsider.
Beguiler 1, load up on skills, Incarnate 1, get the incarnum that grants subtype, Beguiler +1.
That covers the base will, the skill points, the subtype, and the charm.

oxybe
2009-12-05, 09:20 AM
What are the benefits of being a Kaorti? The fiend folio doesn't say. At least not in the Kaorti entry.

it's benefits are in the "vile transformation" ability section. -4 str, +4 int, +6 Cha.

a few spell-likes, the vile transformation ability, the ability to make the kaorti resin.

while the 2 racial HD are a pain, it is two Outsider HD, so +2 BAB, +3 all saves, 1 feat, (8+int)x5 skill points to use in it's trained skills (the ones in it's entry), d8 HD.

that's off the top of my head as i don't have my FF on hand at work.

Weimann
2009-12-05, 09:35 AM
My god, I read this as "******** PRCs" :smalleek:

What, it censors that? That's weak.