PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Gas

Setra
2009-12-04, 02:46 PM
I get to go to the Dentist soon to get a tooth pulled..

I'm rather phobic of dentists and have been debating the use of laughing gas for some time now, however in general... The effect of laughing gas just sounds like.. I dunno, not good?

I don't like not being myself, or however you want to put it, and I dislike drugs that I feel alter my personality (Even antidepressants).

But I am REALLY phobic of dentists, so I continue to debate whether or not I should use it.

What does the playground think?

KuReshtin
2009-12-04, 02:53 PM
If you're anxious about the laughing gas, go for a shot instead.
Local anaesthetics (sp?) that just numbs the hell ot of the area around the tooth, and you win't feel all wonky and weird (except for the ticklish feeling of the numbed area).

Of course, that requires needles and stuff, which might be a bit unsettling as well.
I've never had a problem with the shot, though, and I've had a total of 10 teeth pulled.

Setra
2009-12-04, 02:54 PM
If you're anxious about the laughing gas, go for a shot instead.
Local anaesthetics (sp?) that just numbs the hell ot of the area around the tooth, and you win't feel all wonky and weird (except for the ticklish feeling of the numbed area).

Of course, that requires needles and stuff, which might be a bit unsettling as well.
I've never had a problem with the shot, though, and I've had a total of 10 teeth pulled.
The shot is why I need the laughing gas in the first place >_>; I'm a bit of a wuss I guess.

Though I think I could go for a different kind of shot right about now.

onthetown
2009-12-04, 02:55 PM
I have a friend who swears that laughing gas is all in the mind - she had it a couple of times and it never worked for her. I wouldn't take it either, same reasons as you... but getting a tooth pulled HURTS, and needles hurt too. Kind of a hard one to get around..

Totally Guy
2009-12-04, 02:55 PM
Doesn't the dentist get to decide what he uses?

KuReshtin
2009-12-04, 02:57 PM
The shot is why I need the laughing gas in the first place >_>; I'm a bit of a wuss I guess.

Though I think I could go for a different kind of shot right about now.

The shot isn't that bad, once you don't make it a big deal. Sure, it stings a bit, but it's not bad.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-04, 02:59 PM
I need laughing gas AND a shot too. Take the laughing gas; that stuff is great. Wears off after only a few minutes too.

Setra
2009-12-04, 03:07 PM
The shot isn't that bad, once you don't make it a big deal. Sure, it stings a bit, but it's not bad.
The most painful thing in my life has been a shot in the gums.

I'm not trying to sound like a wuss, I've experienced various types of pain (Including a broken wrist and cracked rib)... Though to be fair, in those cases I probably had a lot of endorphins..

And personally I think the dentist somehow messed up when he gave that shot, too.

Ilena
2009-12-04, 03:10 PM
bah who cares, i dont like pain and i doubt you do too, my mom hates dentists too, like to the point where they had to put one of those lead vests as a blanket over her, and shes a very strong person, me personally i hate drugs of any kind, to the point whre i have to be feeling crappy as hell to take a tylonol, but definately you would want the numbing shot for a tooth pull

Jack Squat
2009-12-04, 03:33 PM
Which effects of laughing gas worry you?

I'm not an anesthesiologist, but from my SCUBA background, I can say that what happens with Nitrous Oxide is the same thing as getting narced - that is, you're basically in a state similar to being drunk, only it's with inert gases instead of alcohol. Generally what happens is one becomes giddy and/or lethargic. This is caused by a large amount of nitrogen being absorbed into your tissues.

Now N2O is generally considered a weak anesthetic, so (IIRC) it's normally used to segue into a more powerful drug that'll either knock you out or numb an area. If you're getting a local anesthetic, I highly suggest getting narced first, as you won't feel the shot near as much.

The after effects are going to leave you feeling, surprise, tired. The degree varies, but it'll last until your body works out, or "off gases" the nitrogen in your system. No physical problems to be worried about(well, not unless you add in atmospheric pressure changes of a scale much, much larger than normally found in air), and I'm always fine working in an extra nap into my day :smallwink:

smellie_hippie
2009-12-04, 03:39 PM
For some recent dental work I went for, I had the nitrous gas but was awake for the whole thing. Nitrous made me feel kinda loopy, and I was very aware of all the minor movements in my body (feeling my pulse through my arms, etc).

I didn't feel "unlike myself", and it was much easier than the full IV route I needed when I had my wisdom teeth surgery. That one was straight up "out cold" and the hospital shuffle when I came to several hours later. :smallyuk:

They usually wrap up by switching the nitrous out for pure oxygen which actually is very refreshing in coming off the nitrous anasthetic.

Thajocoth
2009-12-04, 03:42 PM
I got nitrous when I had oral surgery. Last thing I remember (both times) was the doctor saying not to hyperventilate the nitrous. Next thing I remember (both times) was being spoon-fed a frosty in my bed at home with the surgery done.

Well worth it.

Setra
2009-12-04, 04:28 PM
I have decided to try the laughing gas... buuut I went to my appointment earlier and found out I was late... soo yeah... Next week is when I'll go in to get it pulled (Though I did get my teeth cleaned anyways).

I was rather embarrassed though, as the dentist felt the need to show me how to brush my teeth properly... What's worse is I've apparently been doing so wrong my entire life.

I thought everyone brushed side to side :smallfrown:

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-04, 04:34 PM
I was told in kindergarten how to brush my teeth properly...in circles!

DraPrime
2009-12-04, 04:36 PM
I was told in kindergarten how to brush my teeth properly...in circles!

Really? I've always thought going in hexagons is the proper way to do it.

Setra
2009-12-04, 05:38 PM
According to the dentist, up and down is how you do it.

Jack Squat
2009-12-04, 05:43 PM
According to the dentist, up and down is how you do it.

Eh, the recommendations vary, and I really don't think it matters either way.

I do horizontal (or front-back/side-side) and always get told how great of condition my teeth are in. I also only brush once a day and floss only when something's stuck in my teeth, so my teeth could just be indestructible (well, beside that minor chip I got).

CrimsonAngel
2009-12-04, 05:44 PM
My dentist said I was the first person she saw to laugh while on laughing gas... Laughing gas feels great man, c'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.

EDIT: You can't brush from side to side!? CRAP!

Setra
2009-12-04, 05:51 PM
Eh, the recommendations vary, and I really don't think it matters either way.

I do horizontal (or front-back/side-side) and always get told how great of condition my teeth are in. I also only brush once a day and floss only when something's stuck in my teeth, so my teeth could just be indestructible (well, beside that minor chip I got).
He said that doing it up/down would help get the stuff out of the spaces between teeth (And flossing doesn't get it all)

Do you consume much sugar? People who consume a lot of sugar tend to have less healthier teeth, I think. I drink a lot of soda (4 a day or so) and don't brush often enough, so I think that's the source of my problems.

Starscream
2009-12-04, 05:54 PM
Had the gas (and a shot) when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. It made me feel a little lightheaded, but wore off very quickly when he turned it off. I wouldn't worry about it, the effects are pretty minor and stop very quickly.

Jack Squat
2009-12-04, 05:58 PM
Do you consume much sugar? People who consume a lot of sugar tend to have less healthier teeth, I think. I drink a lot of soda (4 a day or so) and don't brush often enough, so I think that's the source of my problems.

I have a fair bit of sugar. Generally, I have juice in the morning, couple cans of Mtn. Dew, and plenty of snacks. Tons of cherry coke (or rather coke w/ grenadine) on the occasion that I eat out.

From what I've been told, the problem isn't having a lot of sugar, it's having a lot of sugar sit around in your mouth, and starches stick more than other forms of sugar. If you don't have low saliva production, that hurts as well.

Quincunx
2009-12-04, 06:03 PM
I'd definitely recommend gaseous anesthetic if you don't like the idea of drugs playing havoc with your system. Both times I've had to be anesthetized, I shook off the effects within minutes (I would say 'nearly instantly' but that might have just been my perception) whereas other people were still shuffling around in a daze after shots. Nitrous oxide dental work knocked me all the way to unconsciousness instead of what smellie_hippie described, but I was a small young'un then so the dosage might have been higher than it should have been.

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-04, 06:04 PM
Sometimes they give you a general for wisdom teeth, though I have had three out at once with just a local and though I felt no pain I felt a lot of it...and my hair was wet as tears were coming out of my eyes and going up my face as I was lying on my back with my feet pointed at the ceiling.

Glad I've got a lot of that major dental work behind me now, it's just cosmestic as well as six monthlies...

Zanaril
2009-12-04, 06:23 PM
You guys are making me glad that I declined the anaesthetic when I needed a tooth filled. Although unfortunately my wisdom teeth are starting to come through now...

RandomNPC
2009-12-04, 06:56 PM
i got gas for my wisdom teeth, i woke up in a bed in the docs office, and he told me i had to trace a dotted parttern to prove i was coherent enough to go home. (i wasn't driving but thems the rules) I got it on try six. all the previous trys i gave up on because i was so tired, i put the pencil down and leaned over, and a minuet or two later the doctor would rush in and yell at me for falling back asleep.

all in all it was a simple spiral, but it was square and you had to stay on the dots, and if you couldn't do the corners you weren't awake enough to go home. and it arced up at the end, on the giggle juice it was hard to do, but it was like a kindergarden art project.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-04, 08:05 PM
N2O is technically not an anesthetic - it's an antianxioletic. That is, it makes you stop being nervous about stuff, and the effect on the nervous system is more akin to the effect of alcohol. Except it doesn't make you stupid. It does, however, give you a high (or so I've heard :smallannoyed:).

If you don't like needles... You could also opt for general anesthesia. That is, to be completely unconscious when they do the surgery. Some dentists (well, dental surgeons) may offer it to you. Although I'm guessing this would be much more expensive than laughing gas (which for some reason no-one in Canada uses anymore, I'm guessing so hobos don't come in to have a tooth pulled every week) or lidocaine shots.

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-04, 08:33 PM
Nitrous Oxide was used for it's "high" effects kinda like Heroin or opium, and it was inhaled. I think Sir Humphrey Davy liked the stuff.

Jack Squat
2009-12-04, 08:51 PM
Nitrous Oxide was used for it's "high" effects kinda like Heroin or opium, and it was inhaled. I think Sir Humphrey Davy liked the stuff.

I think this sort of explanation may be why Setra was against using laughing gas in the OP; not that it's incorrect, just not clear.

To clarify, Nitrous Oxide is nothing like Heroin or Opium, or various other narcotics. However, it does produce a mild nitrogen narcosis, which has similar effects - that is, the feeling of euphoria and relaxation. Nitrogen narcosis (or inert gas narcosis) is what I described above, and is the result of your body absorbing mass amounts of nitrogen, and has nothing to do with narcotics, and thus has no chance of addiction or severe withdrawal from them as does opiates.

Corlindale
2009-12-04, 09:03 PM
I would just go for the local anaestethic. It's been a long while since I had nitrous oxide when going to the dentist, and it never really had that great an effect on me. I'm usually a complete wuss when it comes to needles, but somehow I don't find it quite as bad at the dentist's. It's almost more of a "stretchy" feeling than a "stingy" feeling, if that makes any sense.

My dentist uses a fancy new kind of local anaesthethic which is targeted directly at the nerves of the tooth, which basically means it only affects the specific tooth and doesn't make your entire cheek "marshmallowy", the way less localized anaesthethic does - and still it's extremely effective, last time I was under the drill I felt nothing at all.

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-04, 09:45 PM
I meant it was used like a drug in the same way one would "use" heroin or opium :smallannoyed:

Setra
2009-12-04, 10:07 PM
If you don't like needles... You could also opt for general anesthesia. That is, to be completely unconscious when they do the surgery. Some dentists (well, dental surgeons) may offer it to you. Although I'm guessing this would be much more expensive than laughing gas (which for some reason no-one in Canada uses anymore, I'm guessing so hobos don't come in to have a tooth pulled every week) or lidocaine shots.
Originally, I opted for anesthetics, but it turns out my insurance doesn't cover those :smalltongue: So yeah

CrimsonAngel
2009-12-04, 10:12 PM
I forget what my dentist was doing, but he accidentaly ripped one of my teeth out once when he was s'posed to be cleaning them.

Setra
2009-12-04, 10:17 PM
I forget what my dentist was doing, but he accidentaly ripped one of my teeth out once when he was s'posed to be cleaning them.
As if my fear of dentists wasn't enough already >.>

Jack Squat
2009-12-04, 10:24 PM
I meant it was used like a drug in the same way one would "use" heroin or opium :smallannoyed:

I have to wonder how that applies to it being administered by a dentist or other medical professional.

My point was that despite it's recreational use (which, honestly, you get a faster reaction off of straight O2 as it's more soluble - plus your body actually metabolizes it) it has no similarities to true narcotics other than having the similar symptoms of euphoria and lethargy. It's also not illegal, same with many other, more harmful ways of achieving the effect.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-05, 07:57 PM
Originally, I opted for anesthetics, but it turns out my insurance doesn't cover those :smalltongue: So yeah
Ask for codeine and/or load up on advil before the surgery? That's about the best I can offer if you don't want N2O and can't get local anesthetics (which is weird, lidocaine is usually free with whatever dental work you get done, although it does involve needles poking the inside of your mouth).

Or did you mean insurance doesn't cover general anesthesia?

Serpentine
2009-12-05, 11:55 PM
Relevant linky-poos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs)

Goes remarkably well with the "All About My Girl" by Jimmy McGriff that's playing right now.

The worst pain I ever had was the anaesthetic injections for my ingrown toenail. It was infected, and apparently that messes with it. I had at least a dozen - I felt at least 10. It hurt like freaking Hell. Big needles, going into the soft, sensitive skin on the side of my toe, the tip of it, where the nail goes into the skin... 'course, it got ingrown again :smallmad: If I end up doing it again, I'm going to ask for a general anaesthetic, or at least HEAPS of the anaesthetic cream.
I've never had to get my teeth drilled or pulled or anything. The dentist wants to pull out all my wisdom teeth cuz they have holes in them, but I'm gonna get a second opinion - I'd much prefer to just have them filled than pulled out, and it seems like dentists are very wisdom tooth pull-happy. I have a bad feeling I'd be resistant to anaesthetic... So I'd probably go with the strongest available :smallsigh:

As an aside, I had another teeth-falling-out dream last night. Convinced myself it was real and everything (wait, my tooth is falling out... it must be a dream! No, wait, this is definitely real. Oh hey, there's another tooth growing underneath it...).

Khanderas
2009-12-07, 02:47 AM
As an aside, I had another teeth-falling-out dream last night. Convinced myself it was real and everything (wait, my tooth is falling out... it must be a dream! No, wait, this is definitely real. Oh hey, there's another tooth growing underneath it...).

Think that dream is universal, I know I have had it several dozens of times.
Complete with it-was-so-real I had to check my teeth upon awakening.
Apparantly according to "experts" this dream is a reaction to feeling out of control in your life, powerless, symobolically "toothless" so to speak.

As for the main subject. My old chem teacher sprayed the classroom with it... and it was hilarious (part of it being the gas, and part becuase everyone else was laughing about alittle nothing at all, something that is contaigous as we all know). That aside, I would reccomend taking it because it seems to me about the most harmless painreliver you can find with about no chance of addiction or sideffects.

Serpentine
2009-12-07, 04:23 AM
I once even dreamed that, upon becoming suspicious that this tooth-falling-out incident was yet another dream, I pinched myself. It hurt, I didn't wake up... so I figured it must've been real :smallsigh:
What sort of "experts"? Legitimately trained, or "dream analysers"?

Killer Angel
2009-12-07, 04:49 AM
As if my fear of dentists wasn't enough already >.>

Can't believe no one posted this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsDKqKE_kc)...

Sorry, can't resist. :smalltongue:
Don't worry, it'll be OK.

Thajocoth
2009-12-07, 04:52 AM
Had the gas (and a shot) when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. It made me feel a little lightheaded, but wore off very quickly when he turned it off. I wouldn't worry about it, the effects are pretty minor and stop very quickly.

You remember it? I always thought, since I forgot everything once under it's effect, that that was the standard. I had Nitrous both when my wisdom teeth were removed and a week later when I had artificial roots (screw-holes, essentially) inserted for my upper second teeth (which never existed. They're, like, porcelain or something...). I couldn't remember anything either time between when I started breathing the nitrous and when I was home later, in my bed being fed a Wendy's Frosty.

Also, they prescribed Vicodin, but after the first pill, and realizing Mario had just been standing in Rogueport for the last 20 minutes doing nothing, I couldn't take any more. Pain > no gaming.

onthetown
2009-12-07, 09:26 AM
You guys are making me glad that I declined the anaesthetic when I needed a tooth filled. Although unfortunately my wisdom teeth are starting to come through now...

You don't need to worry about wisdom teeth unless they're growing into other teeth or doing something strange. My mother and I both have all of our wisdom teeth, and they're completely grown in. They're not doing anything so they don't have to be pulled.

But it seems that most people have them pulled anyway? My dentist is just leaving them alone until he has reason to pull them, but I've heard of other dentists pulling them simply because they're growing in. I'm not quite sure which is better...

Totally Guy
2009-12-07, 09:37 AM
I once even dreamed that, upon becoming suspicious that this tooth-falling-out incident was yet another dream, I pinched myself. It hurt, I didn't wake up... so I figured it must've been real :smallsigh:

That's so annoying. I had convinced myself for years that it was impossible to read something in a dream so every time I dreamt something really good I'd find something to read within the dream. Then I'd conclude that whatever good thing I'd done was real.

Khanderas
2009-12-07, 10:04 AM
Does it make a difference ? I mean... its kinda hard to find hard facts on the subject of dreams. But problebly a dream analyzer.

daggaz
2009-12-07, 04:29 PM
Come on.. if you are dreaming, you arent capable of consciously making the decision to pinch yourself in order to test it. Maybe you do so (as posted above), but its simply part of the dream... So dont buy into that old addage as an actual method of controlling dreams, its simply an overused trope.

There is a way, however, to train yourself for lucid dreaming, in which you do have some semblance of conscious control, or at least awareness. The best way is to sleep in many hours past the point when you normally wake up, so that you slip in and out of consciousness and in and out of REM sleep. Do this many, many times, and eventually your brain becomes accustomed to the situation, and you will experience lucid dreaming more often.

I learned this in order to overcome years of serious childhood nightmares which occured on a nearly nightly basis. For example, now if I dream I am falling, I almost always realize that I am dreaming, and the falling becomes flying, at least temporarily until the dream progresses naturally to something else. Its not like you can control everything in a dream, or even small pieces to a full extent, but you can shift things easily enough. Its the only "pinch yourself while asleep" method I know of that actually works.

As far as laughing gas... I wouldnt advise recreational use, legal or not. It kills a fair number of brain cells as it misplaces oxygen in the bloodstream, and abuse is documented to cause impairment. As well, taking large amounts of any gas other than air can have the unfortunate effect of knocking you into a coma, or even result in a toxic shock reaction, both of which can result in death. There's a warning label on tanks of helium about this, for example. If you are going to try it tho, at least do so sitting down on the floor, as you WILL lose all balance and fall over.

Thrawn183
2009-12-07, 07:42 PM
The thing about the gas is that it does wonders but only if you aren't already freaking out. It will prevent you from freaking out, but if you're jumping all over the place... well, man up.

Seriously, I've shadowed a lot of dentists, and I've seen multiple dudes ask to not receive anything at all for the pain.

Serpentine
2009-12-07, 11:25 PM
Does it make a difference ? I mean... its kinda hard to find hard facts on the subject of dreams. But problebly a dream analyzer.A trained psychologist using testable methods to logically explain certain phenomena vs. some bint making up mystical stuff to form profound nonsense and prophesy? Yeah, it makes a difference.

Come on.. if you are dreaming, you arent capable of consciously making the decision to pinch yourself in order to test it. Maybe you do so (as posted above), but its simply part of the dream... So dont buy into that old addage as an actual method of controlling dreams, its simply an overused trope.What? :smallconfused: I've had tooth-falling-out dreams so often that when I find myself losing a tooth I become suspicious. In this case, I consciously decided to test it, and the only thing I could think of was the "overused trope". Which didn't work. I wasn't trying to control it - has anyone ever said that's what it's for? - but rather to confirm whether it was a dream and/or wake myself up.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-07, 11:54 PM
A trained psychologist using testable methods to logically explain certain phenomena vs. some bint making up mystical stuff to form profound nonsense and prophesy? Yeah, it makes a difference.
Not really, no. All evidence indicates that dreams are completely random and not interpretable. If a psychologist is doing it, either his name is Sigmund Freud (in which case, congratulations, you're now psychic!) or he's a quack pretending to be a psychologist.

Serpentine
2009-12-08, 12:11 AM
"All evidence"? Seriously? What about "you tend to dream about what you're thinking of when you go to sleep"? Even "we don't know the cause of much dream content" or "analysis of dreams is useless" is far more honest, scientific, significant and useful than, to use a relatively relevant example, "dreaming about losing your teeth means you'll soon come into money" or "dreams can provide profound insight into your life". So yes, it does make a difference. In any case, here's some evidence (http://websciences.org/cftemplate/NAPS/archives/indiv.cfm?ID=19970659) for (http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=paq.021.0295a) starters (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11007439).

Leeeettle bit off-topic here, though <.<

Jimorian
2009-12-08, 02:26 AM
When I had laughing gas for my wisdom teeth extraction, I came up with solutions to all of the world's major problems.

Unfortunately, I forgot what they were when it wore off. :smallfrown:

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-08, 02:32 AM
1. Don't ever, every cite Freud or someone who's citing Freud. His work is now only looked at either from a historical perspective or as a guide of what NOT to do.

2. Any paper you're looking at even if it does demonstrate something will have a grave methodological data collection error. Why? Because we dream anytime we're in REM sleep. In fact we most likely experience several different dreams during the night (there's 4-5 stages per night on average). But we only remember a small fraction of that. Even if we wake a person when they're in a REM sleep stage, they usually have trouble remembering what exactly the contents of the dream was.

3. You can potentially have infinitely many different types of dreams. How do you make any kind of a useful database for it without resorting to quackery and explanations along the lines of "if you're dreaming about swimming in a lake it means you secretly want to travel to meet friends you haven't seen in a while."

4. Stemming from #3, because of that, any given psychologist would only be able to interpret a small fraction of dreams. However, anyone coming in to have a reading would expect their dream interpreted instead of a vague statement along the lines of "your dream is completely random and doesn't mean anything."

5. How do you correlate dreams to events in people's lives? You would literally need to know every single event and every single occurring thought in a person's life for the last little while, like a week at least.

PS: checked pubmed and psycINFO in addition to your link #3 (after I wrote the above however). Apparently my info is outdated and there is some correlation between dreams and life events. However any form of meaningful dream analysis still suffers from the above methodological problems and is probably at least a half-century of intense research away.

PPS: people, take out your damn wisdom teeth. Learn from my experience. I had to have one pulled just recently... 90% of the tooth was stuck in the behind the gum in my cheek and it was decaying because I couldn't clean it. Not only did the nerve hurt like a bitch, not only was the surgery... well, it wasn't painful, lidocaine FTW, but still, and the recovery was.. Let's just say I was spitting blood for about 3 hours and replacing gauze every 10 minutes, then I couldn't swallow for a day and a half and after that any time I did anything that created suction in the area (like a tongue does when swallowing), it often reopened the bleeding.

Serpentine
2009-12-08, 02:44 AM
I would like to draw your attention to the origin of this discussion. I was questioning what sort of "experts" were making the analytical claim. If it were a legitimate psychological source, it would be very interesting to know that they have pinpointed (or at least outlined) those sorts of influences on one's sleeping psyche. A dream subject as common as teeth falling out would be a particularly viable starting-point.
As it turns out, it was not such a source, but rather (presumably) the sort of quackery that claims that every little detail has a specific, and definable, "meaning".
This discussion is getting absurd, particularly as we're not actually arguing anything. Suffice to say, it WOULD make a big difference who was making the claim. As it is not Science, the whole topic is moot.
edit: No. Not unless several dentists tell me it's necessary, and/or they start becoming a problem. If I do have them removed, it will be because of the holes in them and the impracticality (preferably impossibility) of filling them like a normal tooth. I strongly dislike this wisdom tooth pulling-happy attitude so many dentists seem to have - if there's nothing wrong with them, leave them there! :smallmad:

Jimor: Ain't that always the way? The other night I dreamt up a solution to... something, but can't remember it or the problem.

Setra
2009-12-10, 05:02 PM
So I had my teeth pulled... Ow... yeah..

In the end I didn't use the laughing gas... incidentally, the Novocaine is wearing off now... ow..

Edit: I honestly find it amusing he actually used a friggin pair of pliers though, I mean I thought they'd have a special tool made for dentists for that.. but no he used pliers... ha.. he even had to wiggle em around to get em out.

Zovc
2009-12-10, 05:12 PM
I think you need to relax. XD

I don't like drugs, either, I don't even like alcohol or tobacco (all I've tried--all I care to try).

Laughing gas did it's job for me. At first I was like, "Wait, no one asked if I wanted to do this!" so I was holding my breath. Eventually I realized not being sedated was a bad idea, so I just sucked it up. (pun intended) As far as psychological effects go, I didn't really experience any. I 'told' myself not to laugh, thought of something funny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjaaM7dGZQ0), "cracked up," but didn't start laughing, and next I knew I was sitting on the couch in our game room.

Edit: Oh, well then!

Nameless
2009-12-10, 05:16 PM
I get to go to the Dentist soon to get a tooth pulled..

I'm rather phobic of dentists and have been debating the use of laughing gas for some time now, however in general... The effect of laughing gas just sounds like.. I dunno, not good?

I don't like not being myself, or however you want to put it, and I dislike drugs that I feel alter my personality (Even antidepressants).

But I am REALLY phobic of dentists, so I continue to debate whether or not I should use it.

What does the playground think?

Can’t you just take some anaesthetics? :smallconfused:

Setra
2009-12-10, 05:19 PM
Can’t you just take some anaesthetics? :smallconfused:
Insurance doesn't cover them :smalltongue:

In about a month or two (whenever the first three are all healed up) I get to go back in..

Worira
2009-12-10, 06:20 PM
The last time I was under general anesthetic, I dreamed the precise formula to a completely safe, 100% effective, nearly free anesthetic with no side effects or risk of dependency.

I forget what it was, though.

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-11, 06:29 AM
A lot about dream interpretation these days is to help people interpret dreams for themselves, dreams can be symbolic but it's much more personal. I remember reading this in The Celestine Prophecy.

Sometimes though, dreams can tell you about unconcious thoughts. I had dreams for years about falling into a pool and then was told a while later that this happened to me when I was a smal child and I had no memory of it.

Very strange.