PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing the Ninja, 3.5ed

Edwin
2009-12-04, 02:46 PM
So, I'm statting up a 1st level goblin ninja for a game.

Problem is, I can't remember any good ways of reliably denying people their dexterity bonus to AC, short of surprise or bluff checks.

Anyone know of a good little trick a 1st level ninja can get his hand on?

And for the record, yes, this is for use of sudden strike.

KellKheraptis
2009-12-04, 02:53 PM
So, I'm statting up a 1st level goblin ninja for a game.

Problem is, I can't remember any good ways of reliably denying people their dexterity bonus to AC, short of surprise or bluff checks.

And for the record, yes, this is for use of sudden strike.

Marbles force a Balance check, and anyone without 5 ranks in Balance gets auto-flat footed from it.

Edwin
2009-12-04, 02:59 PM
Marbles force a Balance check, and anyone without 5 ranks in Balance gets auto-flat footed from it.

Where can I find marbles, incidentally?

KellKheraptis
2009-12-04, 03:01 PM
Where can I find marbles, incidentally?

Pretty sure the PHB, but failing that, Arms & Equipment guide.

Edwin
2009-12-04, 03:09 PM

Looking in the PHB, I see nothing under the equipment section called marbles.. :smallfrown:

And sadly, I do not own the Arms and Equipment guide.. I think.

Cieyrin
2009-12-04, 03:09 PM

Marbles are A&EG. A bag costs 2 sp and weighs 2 pounds, covering 1 5 foot square. Better than a bag of caltrops, I'd say.:smallbiggrin:

Zovc
2009-12-04, 03:10 PM
I'll be damned if a goblin assassinates me using marbles.

KellKheraptis
2009-12-04, 03:11 PM
Marbles are A&EG. A bag costs 2 sp and weighs 2 pounds, covering 1 5 foot square. Better than a bag of caltrops, I'd say.:smallbiggrin:

Hey Cie! Finally, I see which name you're under :D I probably could have fully looked that up on here but I figured process of elimination would kick in. Also, cross class ranks (I think it'd be cc for a ninja...) can get you use of a couple eternal wands of grease, which basically does the same thing.

Edwin
2009-12-04, 03:14 PM
Hey Cie! Finally, I see which name you're under :D I probably could have fully looked that up on here but I figured process of elimination would kick in. Also, cross class ranks (I think it'd be cc for a ninja...) can get you use of a couple eternal wands of grease, which basically does the same thing.

With 160 gp to buy for? Probably not a good idea. :smallwink:

Marbles are A&EG. A bag costs 2 sp and weighs 2 pounds, covering 1 5 foot square. Better than a bag of caltrops, I'd say.

Awesome, thanks!

I'll be damned if a goblin assassinates me using marbles.

Then watch out for for Garbles, the Marble-assassin!

CockroachTeaParty
2009-12-04, 03:19 PM
This is all pretty silly. If you're that concerned, I could just give Ninja normal sneak attack... That might save us some Tom & Jerry antics.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-04, 03:19 PM
Dungeonscape. Also great for when you need to spend days hiding in the sewers waiting for the guards to stop chasing you.

Also, you snag a Swift Action Greater Invis at some point in the class. Use it.

KellKheraptis
2009-12-04, 03:20 PM
This is all pretty silly. If you're that concerned, I could just give Ninja normal sneak attack... That might save us some Tom & Jerry antics.

Rokugan Ninja for the win...Full BAB and no crappy sudden strike.

Edwin
2009-12-04, 03:33 PM

Well that would certainly be nice, though I would rather not give you any additional concern. I really want to join. :smallbiggrin:

Full BAB would also be quite awesome, though once again, no stress. I'm fine with class as is, unless you'd rather make it easier for me and change it.

Your call.

Cieyrin
2009-12-04, 03:36 PM

Hello as well. Good to see ya!

Then watch out for for Garbles, the Marble-assassin!

Amused, I be. Also, you're welcome.:smallwink:

CockroachTeaParty
2009-12-04, 03:54 PM
Where could I find the Rokugan / Oriental Adventures ninja? Is it on Crystalkeep, perchance?

Darrin
2009-12-04, 05:37 PM

Eggshell Grenade: Dust, Oriental Adventures, p. 78. 10 GP, so even a 1st level NPC can buy a bunch. Ranged touch attack, target blinded for 1d4 rounds (no Dex bonus), *NO SAVE*. Anyone else in the 5' splash radius gets a Fortitude DC 10 save or they are blinded for 1 round as well.

Hmm... can't find my old Ninja/Blindness post, should have bookmarked it. Here's another post on flat-footed-ness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5777209&postcount=15).