PDA

View Full Version : Session tonight, advice?

Epinephrine
2009-12-04, 03:06 PM
So, I'm running Age of Worms, and the players are invited to a grand celebration of the 20th anniversary of the liberation of a town.
Now, the feast is macabre, and the invitation they received refers to the slaughter of avians. The prince holding the feast is a tyrant. He wants to meet the PCs, but he's also prone to taking offense, having people killed, etc.

The whole point of this chapter is for the party to attend the event and have a chance to meet various people who will be important later, to gain authority points based on diplomacy and so on throughout the evening. I've been looking forward to running this heavy roleplaying portion of the campaign since the beginning.

Instead, the party wants to use their diplomacy skills to spread the word that the evnts at the party are barbaric (they are, of course) and that they find it repulsiive - in the hopes that the prince will change the events.

The prince certainly isn't about to change things to please upset nobles. He's already demolished a section of the city that held the houses of nobles (with no or little compensation) in order to build his "great project". I suspect that Zeech would simply order the party killed, or at least turn them away at the gate, declaring that they are trying to crash his event. Since he's particularly cruel, if he knew that the party was upset by the proposed events, he'd simply do even more of it, to bait them.

This whole thing will potentially derail many things - I don't want to railroad them into attending and doing the diplomatic thing, but at the same time I've been looking forward to running this portion - I like the diplomacy (as do my players, normally - it's just that one of the characters has a flaw against cruel treatment of animals, etc.). As well, it's instrumental in getting the party to meet with another main character (of course, I can hodge-podge that part together), and would expose them to some fun adventure ideas, as well as giving them some XP.

Should I let them try to poison popular opinion against the prince's celebration? Should the prince try to kill them for their efforts, or simply welcome them each to the feast with the impaling of a kitten or something? He's cruel, a blackguard with a nasty temper. He has a legion of Erinyes (advanced with the Mortal Hunter class) to patrol his city, and at a previous feast they roasted centaurs, then animated them as tasty zombies that would serve the diners from their own herb-crusted flesh. Not a nice guy. If I send a squadron of Erinyes after the party it could potentially wipe them, especially as they have a smite mortal ability (in Pathfinder, the smite powers are much tougher, affecting all your attacks until your foe dies).

Any ideas on how to handle it so that I get to have the diplomacy session I was looking forward to, without railroading the players into it, and without betraying the personalities involved? As it is I'm starting to prep for the following chapter, since I may just have to chase them out of town.

awa
2009-12-04, 04:05 PM
Now this is just my style of dming but when im in charge and the pcs are going to do something that their "characters" should know will get them killed i tell them.

so my questions are do the pcs know that spreading discontent will likely not only not succeed but result in their death? If yes then do any of the party have a positive int mod? if yes then i would mention that this plan is unlikely to succeed. if they still want to do it any way then they have made their decision. Maybe the next group of adventures invited to this guys party will be more cautious what with the example he made of the last band of trouble makers.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-04, 04:12 PM
Or give them a chance to fight the power?

awa
2009-12-04, 04:34 PM
it sounds like a basic patrol can wipe the party much less any kind of determined effort, and if they are taking no efforts to hide their actions getting attacked is quite likely. And if they do manage to win by being lucky theirs no reason the villain shouldn't send even more forces to wipe out the party and if my understanding of the parties combat abilities is correct then they should be badly injured after a fight and easy prey.

Epinephrine
2009-12-04, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I guess I'll see what they can get as hints. They aren't stupid, but they are making some poor choices if they deliberately annoy the prince of this area. I'll just make sure that they realise that it will annoy him I guess, and see where it goes from there.

I wouldn't say a basic patrol can wipe them, though 4 of them would be an EL 17 encounter for a level 15 party. The issue is that the enemy can just teleport away, gather up another dozen erinyes to support them, and return as an EL (something big).

Optimystik
2009-12-04, 05:09 PM
Or give them a chance to ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

Fixed that for you