PDA

View Full Version : Time Travelling "Wizard"...

Zovc
2009-12-04, 04:03 PM
When I started playing Champions Online, something strange happened. I stuck with the first character I made in the game... That's not to say that I stuck with the game, but I did not jump from character to character like I tend to do with any other game. This is probably because I was able to make a character whose look I really liked.

The character's getup ended up being essentially a cross between inscribed/runed "magic" leather and geometric/industrial "futuristic" leather. The character's left arm had a thicker, more arcane look to it, and was meant to come off as more armored (with a 'wristband' that could practically be used like a thick, leather buckler). The right arm was less armored, but did still have a smaller, its 'wristband' was much smaller, as was the pauldron. My "Wizard's" right hand was also more primal than his left, having claws (long nails). He had a pair of goggles that served him (ingame) as a headband, but I like to think they had some purpose. The same goes for his monkey tail, no, it didn't serve as a headband, but I like to think it had a purpose.

I didn't get very far along with the game, but I did like what the wizard could do for the most part. I just stuck with CO's arcane powers, which essentially manifested as easy to use "magic missiles," a charged beam, a heal, and a shield. The wizard could teleport around, which he did often and liberally.

I'd like to see this character make his way into a game I play in someday, and I was wondering what system he seemed to fit in best.

Things I'd like to see represented:
It'd be great to see the wizard's monkey-tail be usable for something. Sure, it can help him keep his balance, but it'd be really cool if he could hang from things or even hold things with it.
Short-range 'evasive' teleportation definitely needs to make an appearance.
He shouldn't be totally fragile, it'd be cool if he could spring around a melee clawing people if he felt so inclined.

Whatever game system he finds his way into should be time travel friendly, I imagine this guy would be time traveling a lot.

Our "wizard" doesn't have to have the word on his character sheet, but he does need to be able to cast spells, particularly a 'basic' zapping spell and a healing spell. Bonus points for utility spells such as shields.

Doc Roc
2009-12-04, 04:37 PM
Dweomerkeeper + Teleport Through Time + Early spell access hacks.
Would you care to see a build?

Zovc
2009-12-04, 04:40 PM
Dweomerkeeper + Teleport Through Time + Early spell access hacks.
Would you care to see a build?

I feel like you're referencing Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, but I'm not sure.

If so, sure, if not, what system are you talking about?

Narazil
2009-12-04, 04:57 PM
I feel like you're referencing Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, but I'm not sure.

If so, sure, if not, what system are you talking about?
Yea, it's D&D 3.5.

Doc Roc
2009-12-04, 05:46 PM
3.5, yes. There's a few other systems I might be able to do it in, like Savage Worlds if Dawn of Legends is an open book.

So... build...

Dread Necro 5*/ Ur-Priest 2/Dweomerkeeper 4/Contemplative 1/Dweomerkeeper 1

Any spontaneous arcane casting class that can fulfill Ur-priest's reqs will do here.

You will need
Arcane Disciple: Magic
&
Iron Will
Retrain into Extend Spell, and buy over again from Comp Scoundrel's Otyugh Hole?
&
Spell Focus(EEEEEEEEEEVIL)
&
Versatile Spell caster, which you may need to pick up at 6th, which is of course, fine.

You will need a Drake Helm, which you may of course reflavor as googles.
This is not necessary if you use an introductory spontaneous casting class that provides direct access to the sor/wiz list.

Versatile spellcaster doesn't care where those slots come from. Drake helms can be used to build out your mantle of spells.
Supernatural spell can discard material components. You can burn two eighths to get a 9th.
Horrifying, isn't it? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)

sofawall
2009-12-05, 05:38 PM
That is... wtf.

*goes to make sure it works*

Cieyrin
2009-12-05, 05:58 PM
3.5, yes. There's a few other systems I might be able to do it in, like Savage Worlds if Dawn of Legends is an open book.

So... build...

Dread Necro 5*/ Ur-Priest 2/Dweomerkeeper 4/Contemplative 1/Dweomerkeeper 1

* Any spontaneous arcane casting class that can fulfill Ur-priest's reqs will do here.

You will need
Arcane Disciple: Magic
&
Iron Will
Retrain into Extend Spell, and buy over again from Comp Scoundrel's Otyugh Hole?
&
Spell Focus(EEEEEEEEEEVIL)
&
Versatile Spell caster, which you may need to pick up at 6th, which is of course, fine.

You will need a Drake Helm, which you may of course reflavor as googles.
This is not necessary if you use an introductory spontaneous casting class that provides direct access to the sor/wiz list.

Versatile spellcaster doesn't care where those slots come from. Drake helms can be used to build out your mantle of spells.
Supernatural spell can discard material components. You can burn two eighths to get a 9th.
Horrifying, isn't it? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)

Nifty. Took me a bit to figure out but it comes together fairly nicely. Dread Necro still kinda feels tacked on in the end but it's a means to an end to get into Dweomerkeeper, so it works out. Nice Jorb.:smallbiggrin:

Doc Roc
2009-12-05, 06:12 PM
There is a chance, depending on how you read some stuff in Dragon Magic, that Ur-Priest may qualify for cleric only feats by virtue of sharing a spell list.

This is, of course, utter and undiluted madness.