ZakRenning
2009-12-04, 04:49 PM
So, to start this out... I am stupid I know lol

Ok how do you make "spoiler" and make links to other comics?:smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-04, 04:52 PM
This is the wrong subforum[/spoiler**]

Take out the stars and it becomes:

[spoiler]This is the wrong subforum. I'm being sarcastic AND helpful ,so it balances out :smallwink:

Highlight the text you want to become the link, copy the url you want, and click the earth symbol at the top of the posting box, below the smiley face. Now Paste. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0692.html)

ZakRenning
2009-12-04, 04:58 PM
Thanks

And sorry still not used to everything :P

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-04, 05:02 PM
Thanks

And sorry still not used to everything :P

Is cool. I'm just a general asshat :smallcool:

Welcome aboard.

Teddy
2009-12-04, 05:03 PM
Hey, a tip for how to learn how to use those functions that a new forum has is to quote someone using that function it (don't post anything) and read the codes for it (those within the [] and [/]). That's how I learnt to use spoiler tags.

ZakRenning
2009-12-04, 05:04 PM
Alright then thanks a ton :smallbiggrin:

Comet
2009-12-04, 05:17 PM
And teaching others becomes a lot easire with the command. Putting noparses around your original command makes it not function, allowing better demonstration.

Text here, as an example for spoilers with noparse.
I love learning new stuff. :smallsmile:

Ladorak
2009-12-04, 07:30 PM
Hey, a tip for how to learn how to use those functions that a new forum has is to quote someone using that function it (don't post anything) and read the codes for it (those within the [] and [/]). That's how I learnt to use spoiler tags.

This is an excellent tip, I did the exact same thing learning how to link websites

Speaking of which, if you quote me you'll see how to link to google (http://www.google.co.uk/)

Boogastreehouse
2009-12-04, 08:52 PM
And teaching others becomes a lot easire with the command. Putting noparses around your original command makes it not function, allowing better demonstration.

Text here, as an example for spoilers with noparse.
I love learning new stuff. :smallsmile:

Hey that's a great one!

How have I gone so long without knowing that?!?

Keris
2009-12-05, 01:22 AM
I feel obliged to link to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode) page in the FAQ, which contains a near complete listing on all vB code enabled on the forums, including Spoiler, URL and NoParse tags.

lesser_minion
2009-12-05, 07:52 AM
The documentation on the dice roller, table functions, list functions and a couple of other neat tricks you can do with the URL are all missing from the FAQ though.

I'm tempted to try and compile everything and put it into a post - Rawhide posted a few times in different places on the forums to explain what was going on.

A list of URLs used for board functions would be pretty cool - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person to have been thrown by number tags linking to the thread and jumping to that post rather than opening a View Single Post tab.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-05, 07:57 AM
Also remember that the Dice Roller only works in the game subforums. Doesn't work anywhere else, nor in PM's.

Keris
2009-12-05, 08:09 AM
The documentation on the dice roller, table functions, list functions and a couple of other neat tricks you can do with the URL are all missing from the FAQ though.

I did say "near complete". :smalltongue: For reference, these are Rawhide's introductions to the tables and dice functions.

And you forgot [hr] and [br] tags, they're not in the FAQ either. :smallwink:

lesser_minion
2009-12-05, 01:07 PM
There actually are <br><br> tags?

They seem to convert to HTML when I preview, and stop working after that...

Thanks for finding those FAQs though - they seemed to have completely vanished.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-06, 10:04 AM
There actually are <br><br> tags?
Yeah. Their only use is in tables, where actual carriage returns are converted to new rows.

They seem to convert to HTML when I preview, and stop working after that...
Indeed they do. A longstanding bug that [hr] tags also possess. If you preview, edit, or quote a post with either of those tags, you've got to go back and fix 'em. (When previewing, I copy the entire post and then just paste over the old version, if I've used either of those tags. Much quicker than picking each one manually. Then I make any other edits that may be needed.)