PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn of Bahamut question

JasonP
2009-12-04, 06:02 PM
I am wondering what the best races to convert to Dragonborn are. I am interested in maybe playing a Dragonborn Dragonfire Adept so I would mainly focus on Con and Cha. I was thinking a Changeling Dragonborn but only if their Minor Shape Change would still be usable.

So here is my question, would a Changeling keep Minor Shape Change? It's a supernatural ability and becoming a Dragonborn specifically says that "You lose all other racial traits including bonus feats, skill bonuses, attack bonuses, save bonuses, spell-like abilities, and so forth."

I know it is ultimately up to the DM, but I am wondering what others think so I know if it's worth fighting for or if I should just choose a different base race (and if so, which).

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-04, 06:03 PM
Water Orcs are always a good idea for this, as are Buommen, IIRC.

Eldariel
2009-12-04, 06:06 PM
Yeah, you'd lose it. It's an ability; it's gone. Best races are stuff that loses either detrimental abilities, or just doesn't have much to lose. Examples include:
(Water) Orc
Buomman
Mongrelfolk (btw, these get insane Con already; a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Dragonfire Adept is an absolute beast)
etc.

It's also worth noting that you don't, apparently, lose your type so Outsider-races keep their biggest selling point and Warforged remains a Living Construct (and has all the derived benefits but gets rid of e.g. Composite Plating) and so on.

Starbuck_II
2009-12-04, 06:07 PM
I am wondering what the best races to convert to Dragonborn are. I am interested in maybe playing a Dragonborn Dragonfire Adept so I would mainly focus on Con and Cha. I was thinking a Changeling Dragonborn but only if their Minor Shape Change would still be usable.

Mongrel race has high Con.
Buommen has +2 Wisdom, bonus with LA +0. But the racial stat means can't talk non-song words. Meaning unless you Dragonborn them: they can't cast without silent megamagic.
Water Orc has good Str/Con.

So here is my question, would a Changeling keep Minor Shape Change? It's a supernatural ability and becoming a Dragonborn specifically says that "You lose all other racial traits including bonus feats, skill bonuses, attack bonuses, save bonuses, spell-like abilities, and so forth.

Lose: it is a racial trait.

HCL
2009-12-04, 08:10 PM
Cha and con? Almost all +cha races are - con, but there are a lot of +con -int races

gnome is -2 str +2 con
water halfling is -2 str +2 con and dex
Hellbred of the body (mind is +cha - con): Fiendish codex 2
Neanderthal +2 str +2 con -2 dex -2 int: Frostburn
Duskling: Magic of Incarnum
From unearthed arcana there are a couple kobold variants that trade the -2 con for -2 wis or int, and they are already dragonblood so you would not need dragonborn

Also Desert halforc -2 int +2 con

Mando Knight
2009-12-04, 08:31 PM
Cha and con? Almost all +cha races are - con, but there are a lot of +con -int races

Lesser Aasimar?

HCL
2009-12-04, 08:34 PM
Lesser Aasimar?

almost :)

thats a campaign setting specific one

JasonP
2009-12-04, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the help, I think I'm leaning toward gnome or duskling now. Dragonborn isn't necessary (Dragonfire Adept automatically get the dragonblood subtype) but I like it for flavor purposes and the free flight.

Would a duskling lose their free essentia when they become dragonborn?
I wonder what a Dragonborn Duskling with wings would look like, hmm :smallbiggrin:

BenTheJester
2009-12-04, 09:51 PM
I like Desert Kobold Dragonborn DFA, they fit thematically, have -4 str(tss useless to a DFA anyway), -2 wis(also useless) and +2 dex
They are small and have a 30ft speed
Kobolds are also able to get +3 to all mental stats(without penalties) through Dragonwrought
Kobolds can also do the Draconic Rite of Passage, which costs 100gp and 1 HP, to gain one 1st level Sorcerer spell as a SLA 1/day. (Benign Transposition is very nice for this)

Also, keep in mind that charisma isn't that useful to a DFA, as they have few offensive Invocations, and all the good ones are not. I guess it's useful for social skills, but Intelligence and Dexterity are more important stats if you ask me. Of course, Con should be at the absolute maximum it can be.

JasonP
2009-12-04, 10:25 PM
Ya I was looking at Kobold at first but they don't seem very friendly and would have a tough time working well in a diverse group so I wanted another option just in case.

chiasaur11
2009-12-05, 12:55 AM
Ya I was looking at Kobold at first but they don't seem very friendly and would have a tough time working well in a diverse group so I wanted another option just in case.

Anti-kobold propaganda!

The fact Kobolds are better than every other species doesn't mean they look down on them!

Eldariel
2009-12-05, 03:26 AM
The good news about Dragonborn for Dragonfire Adept is that you get a "breath weapon with recharge time measured in rounds" qualifying you for Metabreath feats Dragonfire Adept normally cannot pick. Also, having a secondary energy type is huge.

BenTheJester
2009-12-05, 03:48 AM
The good news about Dragonborn for Dragonfire Adept is that you get a "breath weapon with recharge time measured in rounds" qualifying you for Metabreath feats Dragonfire Adept normally cannot pick. Also, having a secondary energy type is huge.

Gogo RAW. If your DM says your DFA breath don't qualify for metabreath, trying to cheat it this way won't be accepted either

Also, I am pretty sure that the "breath weapon with recharge time measured in rounds" condition was made so that people with a x/day breath can't take the feats. The DFA breath is a breath with 0 rounds cooldown.

Then again, DFA is already powerful enough so it doesnt need metabreath feats.