PDA

View Full Version : I just realized...

Koury
2009-12-04, 06:43 PM
...that I've had my GitP account for 4 years. Geez, it doesn't seem like its been that long. What about you folks? How long you guys been around, and any comments about how the place has changed (or hasn't)?

Perenelle
2009-12-04, 06:51 PM
I've been here I few months I believe, so I dont think much has changed in the period of time i've been here. :smallsmile:

Miklus
2009-12-04, 06:53 PM
...that I've had my GitP account for 4 years...

You and me both, buddy! How time flies...

Rutskarn
2009-12-04, 06:54 PM
I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary. Honestly, it seems like I've had the account longer than that, but that's just because I hung around these forums long before I actually registered.

Koury
2009-12-04, 06:54 PM
Muhahahahaha! I outrank you by like two weeks! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Yeah, I lurked for a while also before creating my account. I started my lurking around comic 80ish and registered around, I think, 130ish to ask a question.

I'm gonna go check now.

Edit 2: Wow, I lurked for a long time. I joined about a month before comic 271 it seems.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-04, 07:35 PM
I've been for a few months.

What's changed?

Umm... people have asked for a Let's Play subforum? Not much, really.

Sneak
2009-12-04, 07:39 PM
I just realized that you have the most beautiful face, that we're floating in space, that happiness makes you cry, that everyone you know someday will die, that life goes fast (it's hard to make the good things last), and that the sun doesn't go down (it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round).

I've been around since April 2005. I was 11 then, I'm 16 now. A lot has changed.

Green Bean
2009-12-04, 08:19 PM
Wow, I've been here since the end of 06; when I signed up, I was living on a completely different continent. As for the board itself? Well, I remember we didn't have a Fan Comics subforum. Oh, and back then most of the threads in the comic subforum were huge fights discussions about Miko. Good times.

Oh, and we used to have a Comics forum, but no one went there except to post in the ridiculous number of Versus threads.

Gamerlord
2009-12-04, 08:44 PM
My 3rd register-versery is in 19 days :smallsmile: !

The Miko wars had just started to die down, but a whole new war was brewing- one that almost ripped this forum in two....it was bloody...brother fought brother......sister fought sister.....a civil war unlike any other...it was called?

THE EDITION WARS!

AND ITS STILL GOING ON!

Demonia
2009-12-04, 08:48 PM
i arived two days ago and this all seems pretty cool looking forward to seeing how it changes over time!:smalltongue:

Koury
2009-12-04, 08:55 PM
Why did everyone join in December?

Gamerlord
2009-12-04, 08:58 PM
Who knows? Let us call ourselves....

DECEMBERS IN THE PLAYGROUND!

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-04, 09:00 PM
Dunno, I did too... really freakin' long time ago.

What was it like? Actually, a lot cooler cuz we didn't have it so full of newbie schmucks taking up bandwidth :smallwink:

We did have a lot of cool features that had to be gotten rid of, like auto previewing, so you bolded or itallicized or put in pics or something and it showed up on you post here like it would be seen by others. Post a jpg link and it made it a pic without you adding code. We had polls too. Oh, and we had admin run homebrew contests. Made me sad for those to go away. Actually, saw a lot more of admins. Now St. Jude and occasionally Grey Watcher is about it.Remember St. Jude and Alarra long before they became adminny.

Had some out of this world avatarists who are around no longer...

Just a few things.

Edit: OH! And animated avatars were still allowed!

Some you'll never see again...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/Tribbles/TribbleRogaine.gif

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/Tribbles/vtsnow.gif

Had a couple awesome halloween ones where I howled or ripped people up. Lost the link somewhere...

TSGames
2009-12-04, 09:11 PM
I've been around since April 2005. I was 11 then, I'm 16 now. A lot has changed.
You're one of the few posters that's been around as long as long as I have.

As for change....there was TLN/BWL who raged on the forum for at least a year... then, of course, there's the ever changing comic quality/frequency, and Erfworld....

A lot more has changed outside the forum. I find it amazing that it's only been 4 years, it feels like a decade...(it doesn't help when Sneak is making me feel old >_< )

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-04, 09:18 PM
Sneak I've always known, but it's odd how many oldfolk I've never heard of before.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-12-04, 09:23 PM
Ah the edition wars.

Lost alot of good folk to them, I'm sure.

PirateMonk
2009-12-04, 09:29 PM
Another Decemberist here. I'll have been here for three years on Sunday.

Changes include a bunch of forums and subforums being shuffled around, the loss of such things as polls and Quick Reply, and the coming and going of Erfworld.

Shyftir
2009-12-04, 09:31 PM
I joined a long time ago, three years! But then I stopped being active until just a few weeks ago. College/life is weird.

Aragehaor
2009-12-04, 09:33 PM

Its a conspiracy i tell you! they hunt down all the non-Decemberers and destroy there minds! thats why you barely see people who havent joined in December! there goal is to make the playground "pure" full of only those who joined in December! Run! Run for your lifes! Wait. what are you- :smalleek: *Gunshot* *x.x*

I joined like, what a month or two ago? Not much happened since then!

Wait, ive been here since March? :smallconfused:

The Orange Zergling
2009-12-04, 09:41 PM

O.o

I remember reading some of your posts way back when and thinking you were in your late teens or even twenties. Back in 06.

Anyway, my actual sign up date was in March 2006, but I had to make a new account when the boards switched from YaBB to vBulletin in October because I got locked out of it for some reason. While the community is still utterly fantastic there's just something about the atmosphere of the olden days that I prefer to the current era.

Of course, that may just be nostalgia.

TSGames
2009-12-04, 09:41 PM
Sneak I've always known, but it's odd how many oldfolk I've never heard of before.

Namechange and long periods of not posting will do that ;)

Raistlin1040
2009-12-04, 09:47 PM
I think I'm coming up on 4 years soon, if memory serves. I love the smell of nostalgia in the morning. Smells like...Hey you damn kids, get off my lawn! :smallmad::smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2009-12-04, 09:49 PM
Man, and now to think of it, we recently celebrated our 40,000 member, and we're coming out of the decade from hell, lotta change, a new edition, and new pres here in USA, and a recession.....

But hey, we have a long way to go, cause the road doesn't stop here.

Quite a decade, quite a community, quite a comic.

:smallcool:

Go Giantitp.

Lupy
2009-12-04, 10:12 PM
Not quite a year, and I feel like everything has changed.

Great God! Almost 2 years! :smalleek: Where did all the time go!?!?!

d13
2009-12-04, 10:17 PM
I don't remember, so I'll post this and edit after reading how long I've been here :smallbiggrin:

January 2009. Almost a year. A pretty cool year :smallcool:

Setra
2009-12-04, 10:20 PM
Almost three years ago to the day.. huh..

Oh hey if you take the date I joined, that's the day people think the world will end in 2012 :smallbiggrin:

alchemyprime
2009-12-04, 10:55 PM
Four years come Tuesday...

I feel old...

I remember back when all my RPs were in Gamma...

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-04, 11:14 PM
a single week brotha:smallbiggrin:

blackfox
2009-12-04, 11:38 PM
I think four and a quarter, maybe four and a half years now. Definitely since 2005, but I can't remember what month exactly.
EDIT: Aha, September. Four years and I-can't-count months. I would have been 14 when I joined, I think.

Assassin89
2009-12-04, 11:39 PM
For me, about a year and two months. Started on the fifth of October.

the geekish one
2009-12-04, 11:49 PM
3 whole years. I have not really been posting for that long, but that's how long it's been.

I remember that there were a lot less RB threads. We were on like #43.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2009-12-04, 11:49 PM
I've been here... what, a week and a half? :smallwink:

Iethloc
2009-12-05, 12:01 AM
I've been here for around two and a half years now, though I mostly lurk. I even lurked for a bit before I registered (and I had been reading OotS for a much longer time than that).

But I remember the times of the Gamma RP subforum and the comics forum and the polls...

Serpentine
2009-12-05, 12:55 AM
We did have a lot of cool features that had to be gotten rid of, like auto previewing, so you bolded or itallicized or put in pics or something and it showed up on you post here like it would be seen by others. Post a jpg link and it made it a pic without you adding code. We had polls too... Made me sad for those to go away. Actually, saw a lot more of admins. Now St. Jude and occasionally Grey Watcher is about it... Had some out of this world avatarists who are around no longer...

Just a few things.

Edit: OH! And animated avatars were still allowed!
I miss all that stuff, too :smallfrown: Especially the polls and multiquote, and autopreviewing was really handy.

Had some jerks who grew up or got banned (in a few cases, "about damned time!"). Had some newbies who were rather immature and a bit annoying to start with but who eventually settled down and fitted right in.
Atmosphere changed a bit, but that's okay. Miss some people who never post anymore :smallfrown: (EgoSlayer, Kyace, Saithis Bladewing, I'm da Rogue, etc, I'm looking at you!)

That's what I've noticed with all my... 3.5 years :smalltongue:

Sneak (wasn't it?): Woo Flaming Lips!

WarBrute
2009-12-05, 02:29 AM
I've been on here for about 3 and half years. Though all of you post way more than I do.

Plus I normally hang around the PbP games so I'm a bit of an unknown out here in the friendly banter section. :smalltongue:

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-05, 02:38 AM
Anyway, my actual sign up date was in March 2006, but I had to make a new account when the boards switched from YaBB to vBulletin in October because I got locked out of it for some reason. While the community is still utterly fantastic there's just something about the atmosphere of the olden days that I prefer to the current era.

Of course, that may just be nostalgia.

I've hung around here for awhile longer then I've had this account for.. And yes, I also liked the older times. It felt less mainstream, and nerds don't like maintream. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2009-12-05, 02:50 AM
While I'm not really surprised that I've been here about a year and a half, I was surprised to see Rutsky and Coidzor's join dates as being after mine, since they seemed like they were just sort of always there.

UnChosenOne
2009-12-05, 05:24 AM
I've been here for 1 year and about 3 or 4 months, though I'd lurked in boards since 11.11.2007. Well, nothing have actually happened in this time expect rise and fall of Vote-up threads and begining of "Lets play"-era.

skywalker
2009-12-05, 05:31 AM
Ah the edition wars.

Lost alot of good folk to them, I'm sure.

Pours a sip on the curb for all those lost.

Damn, you ain't kiddin'...

I miss some of 'em somethin' fierce...

Had some jerks who grew up or got banned (in a few cases, "about damned time!"). Had some newbies who were rather immature and a bit annoying to start with but who eventually settled down and fitted right in.
Atmosphere changed a bit, but that's okay. Miss some people who never post anymore :smallfrown: (EgoSlayer, Kyace, Saithis Bladewing, I'm da Rogue, etc, I'm looking at you!)

*Wonders which group he falls into...*

While I'm not really surprised that I've been here about a year and a half, I was surprised to see Rutsky and Coidzor's join dates as being after mine, since they seemed like they were just sort of always there.

Some people fit right in...

I remember the edition wars, Great Scot, I do. One of my higher frequency periods.

What's changed since I've been here? Good lord, I lurked these forums for a year before I finally signed up in May '07 (I swear, the old software had a preachy message about signing up if you were under-18, and I will never give that up). Comic schedule has changed, for one thing. Erfworld has come and gone, for another. Sometimes I feel the quality of discussion has gone downhill in some of the forums, but that's probably just my lack of interest in the topics which are raised.

Anything else? Nah, not really. I think it's true that we have become more "mainstream," but that's not a bad thing.

Dispozition
2009-12-05, 05:31 AM
Well, seems like I'm in the 4 year lot as well, how time does fly. I miss the days of me being one of the more respected avatarists on the old board, when Town used to be Trog's Tavern, and that's about it. When caw, El J, Malachi, blackfox, and others were always in Kiss or Kill stabbing each other, and the occaisonal hug was directed my way. When death always used his animated avatar, and I used mine...I greatly miss quick reply and multiquote as well. I think the loss of quick reply is why I stopped posting as much as I did...

I kinda miss the old boards a lot...When I left for a bit in 2007 I essentially left completely in retrospect...I hardly post these days, even though I have large amounts of time to do so...I don't ingrain myself anymore...It's kinda sad when I think about it v.v

There are a few things I don't miss though, like some of the now banned members, or some of the personalities in town...But they were never too much bother.

Also, I beat a lot of you December people since I joined in November! HA!! I joined when I was...Uhhh...*maths*...14. Kinda cool that. I always thought Sneak was older than me as well v.v

thubby
2009-12-05, 05:35 AM
coming up on 5 years. wow, it's kinda weird to think I've been here that long.

longer actually, because i lurked for a while.

GoC
2009-12-05, 05:45 AM
I've certainly changed a bit in the three years I've been here. I'm almost a different person...

EDIT: There sure were a lot of casualties from the Miko wars and the edition wars.:smallbiggrin: And a lot of newbies don't know this but the Miko wars were FAAAAAR more violent.

Ichneumon
2009-12-05, 05:49 AM
I've certainly changed a bit in the three years I've been here. I'm almost a different person...

Same here.

Zeful
2009-12-05, 06:08 AM
I joined over 4 years ago, but I also lurked for more than 2 years of it, so eh.

Serpentine
2009-12-05, 06:52 AM
I AM a different person O.O

bum bum buuuuuuum

Dis: I miss you elite avatarists, too :smallfrown: IA hasn't been the same since you all faded away. You should come back, breathe some more life into it again!

(note: the IAs are still great. Just feel a bit... faded. Need more contestants is all, I think)

smellie_hippie
2009-12-05, 07:03 AM
*post to look at post and check date*

*glances left*

I've been here for 4 years next month.

@v Yeah. I look at a lot of posters who have a later sign in date than me... and it feels kinda wierd. I guess it has a lot more to do with frequency of posting than anything else.

The biggest change I recall (and like) was the dropping of the "posting count". How many times did you read a post that said "Woo Hoo! I'm not a Pixie anymore!!!"

I think Llama has only been here like 3-4 months longer than me... but you can't through a smiley face around here without someone knowing who Llama is...

*throws :smallsmile:*

Serpentine
2009-12-05, 07:04 AM
You're only 5 months older than me?! =O

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-05, 07:15 AM
...am I really the oldest guy hanging around that's not an admin?

smellie_hippie
2009-12-05, 07:19 AM
You might be.

Thinking back to *ahem* "older posters"... which has nothing to do with age...
Mayor Draco
Charity
El Jaspero
Lord Herman

those are some of the people I rmember from posting waaaaaaaay back.

Reinboom
2009-12-05, 07:26 AM

AngelSword succeeds you by a few months. *nods sagely*

I recently mentioned something to phoekun to the effects of this thread. That, had I only joined a year earlier, I would've joined alongside her. Then I stuttered again into realizing that I was measuring time to gitp in years.

Dispozition
2009-12-05, 08:49 AM
Dis: I miss you elite avatarists, too :smallfrown: IA hasn't been the same since you all faded away. You should come back, breathe some more life into it again!

(note: the IAs are still great. Just feel a bit... faded. Need more contestants is all, I think)

You wouldn't want me back. People like Ego still have massive skill with avatars, but I was never really that good. I used to put a lot of detail into avatars, but it was often misguided detail. These days I can't really make avatars anymore. I've forgotten all the rules I used to follow and can't really be bothered trying to get back into it.

Amiel
2009-12-05, 08:54 AM

*raises hand?*

:smallbiggrin:

Linkavitch
2009-12-05, 09:13 AM
I have been here about a year and a half. Hmm, two hundred OOtSs.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-05, 09:16 AM
I almost feel bad posting here, what with me being such an ickle baba and all.

18 months, and absolutely nothing has changed, except that 3 people now have me on ignore lists (I was oblivious to the Edition Wars, and when I joined this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0530.html) was the current comic, so Miko was long since vanquished.)

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-05, 10:27 AM
2 years and a month. Nothing's changed, 'cept some people being banned. I joined right before or right after comic 500.

Weimann
2009-12-05, 11:13 AM
Slightly over a year for me. I was reading the forums for quite some time before that, though.

SalSar_Thiran
2009-12-05, 11:33 AM
*Staggers in from the shadows*

Some of us old timers are still here but just never got to posting much after that debut.

Wukie is gone?

Athaniar
2009-12-05, 12:41 PM
10-01-2007. Has it already gone more than two years? Wow. By the way, is there any way of checking what comic was up at that date?

Trai
2009-12-05, 12:45 PM
Sometime this summer, but I first started reading the comic in April or May-- maybe March at the earliest. This strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html) was the first one I ever saw, because Carrie Vaughn loved Xykon's speech and plugged it in her blog, and I started reading the comic that weekend.

However, it took me a couple months to join the forums; not really sure why.

Syka
2009-12-05, 01:16 PM
Mine was 4 years back in September.

Real life changes: I was in a community college when I started and I have since finished my A.A. and B.A. and have just gotten through my first semester of a Masters program. I was 18. I'd only had one boyfriend, who was incidentally the one who introduced me to here and who appears to have left the forums since, and had never lived outside of my hometown. I have since had the first relationship end, and began a relationship that is much healthier, as well as living away from home for about 2 years. Back then I'd JUST started my new job; I'm on my fourth job now.

In short, I used to have a life outside of school and work (ie, able to do PbP games), and now I don't, lol.

On here, other than new forums and new servers, I haven't noticed too much change. The people are still mature and polite, as they were back then. But then, I don't venture out of FB much anymore.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-05, 01:24 PM
*raises hand?*

:smallbiggrin:
Tell'em whippersnappers what it was like in the good ole days when you had to walk to the forums in the snow. Up hill. Both ways. And we was GRATEFUL.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-05, 01:47 PM
I've been around 4 years, too... It's strange, November 2005 doesn't seem that far off.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-05, 02:06 PM
*Staggers in from the shadows*

Some of us old timers are still here but just never got to posting much after that debut.

Wukie is gone?
Yeah, I remember from back in my lurking days.

Wukei went away to Enupnion.
(Town got to big for the server, complaining people, etc. Town got it's own forum, but the transfer didn't really go that wel. Certain people left to Enupnion and never came back)

Been around here now for ......two and some years?

I feel young though, compared to some of the people who have been here 4/5 years....

Moff Chumley
2009-12-05, 02:23 PM
Two and a half, or so, here. Nothing, really has changed. Same veiled snobbiness then as now, always complaining about how much better things were two years ago. I just don't see it. :smallsigh: I guess that's how people get their kicks. Anywho, I'm just as much on the outside now as I was in '07, so I guess I would be bitter. :smallcool:

Koury
2009-12-05, 03:51 PM
10-01-2007. Has it already gone more than two years? Wow. By the way, is there any way of checking what comic was up at that date?

Not that I'm aware of. I only know mine because I joined to ask a question and I also, shortly after that, posted in a discussion thread.

By the way, this is the first thread I made that has gone to a third page.

Or, for that matter, a second page.

skywalker
2009-12-05, 10:24 PM
It would be interesting to make a graph of most frequent posters, and their join dates. Or, like, look at posts over the past month (6 months, etc) and see how it breaks down. That would be cool.

Lupy
2009-12-05, 10:55 PM
I remember the Miko wars... I hadn't even thought of the Archbishop persona yet. I had a default avatar. David Argall was my hero. I'm da Rogue was around. People kept the names they signed up with. The side bar was beiger in those days. And the text was blacker. And the background was whiter! :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2009-12-05, 11:40 PM
My man Lupy knows what I'm talking about. :smallcool:

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-07, 03:38 AM
7/7/2006

Just before the software switch.

Things that have changed here since I joined that haven't yet been mentioned...

Umm, I can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned and is worth mentioning.

What I think I miss most, though, like others have said, is Quick Reply/Multiquote. I could save so many tabs if I could just Multiquote again!

Yarram
2009-12-07, 05:38 AM
I've been lurking since around comic 120-ish, and then made an account and bounced around the Town... After a while of trying to get into the cliques that were very prevalent then, in a fit of teen pique I stopped using the forum and did other things. I've been casually lurking on these forums again for this year, but began posting a while back for interests sake.
I'm not ever going to do RP by post though... It's too... Draining? Frustrating? Too little gets achieved in too little time? (i.e. Not as fast as talking)
I felt like too much of my life was being wasted by it.
Heh. What life?:smallbiggrin:

Ilena
2009-12-07, 09:12 AM
Hmmmm well ... i think ive been here for two years come jan ... much has changed, much has stayed the same,

onthetown
2009-12-07, 09:29 AM
I think I've been here for a year or almost a year (I'll find out when I post and look at my join date, I guess :smalltongue: ) but most of it was lurking. I only started actually posting a few months ago.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 09:41 AM
7/7/2006

Just before the software switch.

Things that have changed here since I joined that haven't yet been mentioned...

Umm, I can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned and is worth mentioning.

What I think I miss most, though, like others have said, is Quick Reply/Multiquote. I could save so many tabs if I could just Multiquote again!

Why did they get rid of quick reply?

KuReshtin
2009-12-07, 10:42 AM
Apparently, I signed up three years ago, come February.

Since then, I've been to three of the five UK meetups that have been organised (fourth coming up this weekend), but I mostly lurk around and I don't think I've done or said anything to make me stand out and get recognised a whole lot.
Personally, I'd be surprised if a handful of people (apart from the UK itP meetup regulars) know my handle*.

*Actually, I've been posting a bit in the YOU-thread lately, so there might be one or two from there that recognise my handle.

Em Blackleaf
2009-12-07, 10:50 AM
I've been around since 2007. It was before my birthday, so I was 12 for a while. It'll be three years in July. Or June. I get my "J" months mixed up.

So, two years. My account is a toddler. :smalltongue:

onasuma
2009-12-07, 10:56 AM
3 years in january. Wow. I was young when I signed up.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-07, 11:29 AM
The desire to engage in nostaglia is overwhelming...

Little over 2 years now, probably closer to 2 1/2 if you count the lurking. What's really weird is that that's only a year longer than I've been married.

Things I've done in that time...

Played some games
Made some friends...or at least acquaintances
Found a family I never even knew I had, and then had to part ways, if only temporarily
Attended two meetups and hosted one

...as well as some other stuff that just doesn't bear repeating.

Zeful
2009-12-07, 01:52 PM
Why did they get rid of quick reply?

Because it would simply tag your response on the end without refreshing the page, meaning if someone had put a post in before you, you wouldn't see it until you refreshed the page.

rayne_dragon
2009-12-07, 02:17 PM
I haven't been around as long as I thought, probably because I was lurking for a while before I signed up. I honestly can't remember when I first started reading OOTS. I think they were nearing the end of the first dungeon.

Nomrom
2009-12-07, 02:21 PM
I joined with this account about two and a half years ago. But I had another account I made about a year and a half earlier. i left and couldn't remember anything about, so I made anew one. But then I left for about two years, and when I came back, so much had changed. But yet, it still feels more or less the same. Just a bunch of people getting together on the internets to have a good time.

Zocelot
2009-12-07, 02:42 PM
The forum hasn't changed from when I joined, but I have. I mostly post in Friendly Banter and Media as opposed to Gaming and Homebrew.

Deadly
2009-12-07, 04:05 PM
4½ years I think.

All I really remember from the old days is the Town. It was pretty much all I did around here, and I spent far too much time posting there. Then it moved to Enupnion and I followed, and now it's dead or dying both here and there... :smallfrown: But they say nothing good lasts forever, and this place still seems pretty nice to me, even without ye olde Town.

The PbP section is pretty nice around here, I find. Better than other places I've looked.

I don't remember much about the old forums here, aside from what has already been mentioned (I really, really, REALLY miss the quick reply too). I do remember that we could change our usernames, and I changed mine pretty much all the time. I've had sooooo many names here. It was a very nice feature in Town, but probably problematic elsewhere. That's how it is. Can't please everyone.

I also remember people had countless alternate accounts, and sometimes you were surprised to find out that two people were actually one and the same. Lots of fun with that.

skywalker
2009-12-07, 04:44 PM
But they say nothing good lasts forever, and this place still seems pretty nice to me, even without ye olde Town.

Nothing period lasts forever...

The desire to engage in nostaglia is overwhelming...

Little over 2 years now, probably closer to 2 1/2 if you count the lurking. What's really weird is that that's only a year longer than I've been married.

Things I've done in that time...

Played some games
Made some friends...or at least acquaintances
Found a family I never even knew I had, and then had to part ways, if only temporarily
Attended two meetups and hosted one

...as well as some other stuff that just doesn't bear repeating.

I remember a "young" Cristo Myers from back then...

Hell Puppi
2009-12-08, 12:00 AM
Ummm... :smallconfused:

<- that long.

I've been engaged on and off of these forums, so I can't tell you what's really changed aside from some people leaving.
I've been trying to get more involved (WW games, shipping threads, fans service pics, etc.) but just can't find the time.

Is the forum better or worse? The same, I think, it just has it's doldrums when people are generally too busy to post or do much so everything slows down.

Elm11
2009-12-08, 12:25 AM
Well, i've been around for just over a year now, and whilst i lurk all the time, i rarely post. I never witnessed many of the things that occured on the forums, but i saw the parting of several Major forumites, such as EE and Sol (though i was lurking when sol was banned).

Dare i ask, what exactly caused the miko wars to be so violent, were people really just that intent on proving how good/evil etc she was?

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-08, 01:04 AM
Why did they get rid of quick reply?I'm not sure. It was all part of the "AAAGGGHHHHH, our forums are melting!" days when every time a new comic went up, they'd have to turn off the forums for a day so that people could read it. They trimmed and cut all kinds of features to try to make the site lean enough to handle both at the same time. In the end, new hardware was the reliable fix. I'm still hoping beyond hope that we can start to get some of this stuff back some day. :smallcool:

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-08, 03:15 AM
Well, i've been around for just over a year now, and whilst i lurk all the time, i rarely post. I never witnessed many of the things that occured on the forums, but i saw the parting of several Major forumites, such as EE and Sol (though i was lurking when sol was banned).

Dare i ask, what exactly caused the miko wars to be so violent, were people really just that intent on proving how good/evil etc she was?

That's a point, we have witnessed a moment of recent history: the banning of Berserk Monk. I was truly impressed with the level of tenacity he showed with his "V For Vaarsuvius" campaign.

And if the update schedule was as it is now, I can only assume the time between Miko killing Shojo and the next update was long enough for people to explode in a fountain of speculation, that was only fuelled by the following strips (which I'm currently re-reading, tis awesome).

Setra
2009-12-08, 03:27 AM
Thought: At this point, to be completely honest, I come more for the forums than the comic (Not that I don't love it :smallbiggrin: ). I have the feeling many people are the same.

At what point did you all start feeling that way, if you did?

For me it was probably when I first joined, I had been lurking for a while before I joined, but once I joined up I started to really enjoy it.

*hic* I LOVE YOU ALL

rakkoon
2009-12-08, 05:24 AM
Couple of years, I've just discoverd all the subforums, in the beginning I only read the OOTS one.

Elm11
2009-12-08, 06:59 AM
That's a point, we have witnessed a moment of recent history: the banning of Berserk Monk. I was truly impressed with the level of tenacity he showed with his "V For Vaarsuvius" campaign

I'm fairly sure what got Beserk monk banned was actually a thread made here in friendly banter the contents of which were arguably extremely vulgur, and in-arguably against forums rules to discuss. Being why i'm not going into what they were. Other than that, i'm not sure the banning of BM was that big an event for the gitp population. He posted alot, yes, but i rarely saw him around, and some people (not me, i dislike judging people i know little about) considered him a bit of a loose cannon.

Dispozition
2009-12-08, 07:04 AM
I'm fairly sure what got Beserk monk banned was actually a thread made here in friendly banter the contents of which were arguably extremely vulgur, and in-arguably against forums rules to discuss. Being why i'm not going into what they were. Other than that, i'm not sure the banning of BM was that big an event for the gitp population. He posted alot, yes, but i rarely saw him around, and some people (not me, i dislike judging people i know little about) considered him a bit of a loose cannon.

This. The banning of...say...Rex, was probably a bit more momentous, although most of us knew it was coming.

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-08, 08:22 AM
I've been here... a year and a half. Feels longer. Of course, I've been lurking here for... a long time. Since the time when Comics was its own forum, Town was still new (or even non-existent? I can't remember), and PbP was split into Alpha, Beta and Gamma. Oh, and I actually joined in May, with another account, except I forgot about it and joined again.

Of course, my actual posting time wasn't really until a few months after I joined, right up about the time GLoG started up.

Which brings me to my complaint. I mean, we whippersnappers are allowed to rant about you old lags, right? :smalltongue:
TOWN. IS. NOT. DEAD.
Okay, maybe it's different. And maybe it's been split across DFI-Town, and Acro-Nexus. But it's NOT. DEAD. Not even dying. Hell, a bunch of the old threads are starting to come back, even. (KNAVES is old, right? :smallconfused:).
Maybe if you stopped decrying the loss of fun to the ages and actually tried some of this new stuff out, you might actually like it! :smalltongue:
*this is totally not a veiled attempt at getting more people to join our evil Acro cult! Ia! Ia! Draken fhtagn!*

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-08, 08:28 AM

All true, but it's the first banning I remember seeing in my time here, so it shall hold a special place for me just below Dhavaer (first TitanITP I saw) coz I'm weird like that.

I am such a dork :smallredface:

Dispozition
2009-12-08, 08:30 AM
All true, but it's the first banning I remember seeing in my time here, so it shall hold a special place for me just below Dhavaer (first TitanITP I saw) coz I'm weird like that.

Dhavaer is the Titan, imo. He's always had the highest post count, no matter what the forums, iirc. Also the only titan on the news boards for a while.

Green Bean
2009-12-08, 08:54 AM
And if the update schedule was as it is now, I can only assume the time between Miko killing Shojo and the next update was long enough for people to explode in a fountain of speculation, that was only fuelled by the following strips (which I'm currently re-reading, tis awesome).

It was pretty bad at that point, but there were quite a few threads even before she killed Shojo. Stuff about how she should have fallen already, or how X thing that Miko did was proof that Paladins in the OotS-verse don't need to be Good, and the many responses that inevitably turned it into an alignment debate. Plus, since there was less Miko content in the comic itself, what was there we analyzed it to death. I still remember one thread devoted entirely to the single strip Miko interacted with Samantha and her father, which opened with a line-by-line analysis, and went on for several pages.

Also, for some reason, people thought that Miko was supposed to be the Dungeonmaster's girlfriend's character, and projected motivations on her accordingly. It seems weird now, what with the falling, the exploding, and the possible insanity, but back in those days the most central thing she did was hijack the party to Azure City.

Wow, I feel so old typing this.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-12-08, 09:03 AM
*Actually, I've been posting a bit in the YOU-thread lately, so there might be one or two from there that recognise my handle.
Then I would be atleast one of those two.:smallwink:

Then again, I recognize pretty much everybody in this thread.

On town: Peh, it's dead. Except Trog's talkshow.

I'm not dead yet!/monty Python reference.

But really, that just sits up now and then, posts a bit and then fades out.

BM: While he posted a lot, not that memorable. Rex being banned, though most people saw it coming, was more memorable....
And now I'l just shut up about this...

Dhavaer: Just 6k more posts and I'l have caught up to him!:smalltongue:

Elm11
2009-12-08, 05:38 PM
wait, allow me to sound like an idiot, but i've never seen dhavaer in the forums before. has he stopped posting, the unspeakable happened or does he just post in subforums i don't read?

Also, not that i mean to sound rude, but i fear we're drifting closer to discussing banned posters. worse is that i was the unintentional instigator of it. sorry. :smallfrown:

Dispozition
2009-12-08, 05:41 PM
wait, allow me to sound like an idiot, but i've never seen dhavaer in the forums before. has he stopped posting, the unspeakable happened or does he just post in subforums i don't read?

Also, not that i mean to sound rude, but i fear we're drifting closer to discussing banned posters. worse is that i was the unintentional instigator of it. sorry. :smallfrown:

Play by post is his main adobe. I think he occaisonally used to come out and play in a few of the other sub forums, but not often.

skywalker
2009-12-08, 05:51 PM
This. The banning of...say...Rex, was probably a bit more momentous, although most of us knew it was coming.

Like... Iku Rex? I had no idea...

And there have been bigger... separations, even than those mentioned.

I'd like to point out that while it is easy to not be surprised by a banning (in fact, unless the person goes absolutely crazy in about a day, one is almost never surprised), it's hard to say "we knew it was coming." At least, IMO. People always have a chance, right up to the threshold (and frequently a bit over), to turn back.

Also, for some reason, people thought that Miko was supposed to be the Dungeonmaster's girlfriend's character, and projected motivations on her accordingly. It seems weird now, what with the falling, the exploding, and the possible insanity, but back in those days the most central thing she did was hijack the party to Azure City.

Maybe they broke up, and she became an NPC who the DM had a grudge against?

I've always been led to believe that dhaever's gender is... Ambiguous, to begin with.

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-08, 05:55 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: All this talk of join dates, like titles and post counts, is really contrary to what we're about here. No one "outranks" anyone else and no magic power come from being here a long time. Talk of banned posters is particularly and specifically against the rules.

I love to reminisce but this is not really that, apparently.

Thread locked.