PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Cantrip] Personal Silent Image

Baron Corm
2009-12-04, 07:12 PM
Partially inspired by Lysander's illusion cantrip, this was given to a player who wanted to hide his tiefling heritage. What do you think?

Personal Silent Image
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Effect: Visual figment that appears on your person
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell creates a visual illusion somewhere on your person, similar to disguise self. However, the illusion cannot be used to disguise as a creature of another type or gender, or a specific creature, and it cannot create any drastic changes such as a height change. A human might be able to disguise himself as a weak orc, clumsy elf, or tall dwarf, for example, but not a halfling, medusa, or specific human, orc, elf, or dwarf. Unlike disguise self, this spell cannot modify your carried items or clothing in any way.

If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +4 bonus on the Disguise check.

The illusion does not create sound, smell, texture, or temperature. It can be disbelieved by another creature if they touch it.

Chrono22
2009-12-04, 07:52 PM
Eh... this seems too powerful to be a cantrip. Most cantrips follow this pattern:
Useful effect with an instantaneous or 1 round duration.
Mildly useful effect with a short duration.
Trivial effect with a long duration, or concentration.

This provides an untyped +4 bonus and a duration measured by hour... this is a level 1 spell. It's on the weak end of level 1 spells, but still level 1.

Baron Corm
2009-12-04, 08:27 PM
Eh... this seems too powerful to be a cantrip. Most cantrips follow this pattern:
Useful effect with an instantaneous or 1 round duration.
Mildly useful effect with a short duration.
Trivial effect with a long duration, or concentration.

This provides an untyped +4 bonus and a duration measured by hour... this is a level 1 spell. It's on the weak end of level 1 spells, but still level 1.

It may be untyped, but it doesn't stack with the bonus from disguise self, alter self, polymorph, etc. The two things we can change here are the bonus amount and the duration. So, what do you think are good numbers?

+2 seems a little insignificant. 10 minutes/level seems a little short, considering this is more for living a lifestyle than getting past guards. At level one, you would have to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes to keep up your disguise while in public. That could be interesting, though. Do you think if it was +4 and 10 minutes/level it would be balanced?

Chrono22
2009-12-04, 09:17 PM
Actually the bonuses would stack. Since they are both untyped or unnamed bonuses. Untyped/unnamed bonuses stack with any other bonuses, unless it specifically says they don't in the spell description.
Even with a shorter duration, it's too powerful.
This might be a reasonable alternative to what you've presented:

Disguise Self, Lesser
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Duration: Concentration + 1 round

This spell functions like disguise self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm), except it only provides a +5 bonus on disguise checks, and has a duration of concentration + 1 round.
The benefits of this spell do not stack with the bonus to disguise checks provided by disguise self.

//
This version allows a character to change his appearance, but at the expense of needing to take a standard action each round to maintain the spell. This means, the character will be limited to a single move action each round. He can't engage in combat without losing his disguise- and even normal activities such as walking fast could disrupt his concentration.

Baron Corm
2009-12-04, 09:35 PM
Actually the bonuses would stack. Since they are both untyped or unnamed bonuses. Untyped/unnamed bonuses stack with any other bonuses, unless it specifically says they don't in the spell description.

I'd think that these spells would each override each other. Changing your form in one way and then changing your form in another way. If not, that's the way I would (and will) rule it.

Even with a shorter duration, it's too powerful.
This might be a reasonable alternative to what you've presented:

I like it, except that the mage will be wiggling his fingers every 6 seconds? What else could this standard action be represented as? I think I'll just put a line in the description that the standard action just represents mental exertion. Thanks.

Chrono22
2009-12-04, 09:39 PM
Concentration doesn't require components, it just requires you to spend a standard action.
Huh... maybe I should houserule summons as being concentration +1 round/level. It would solve the issue of summon monster 1 being totally useless.

Baron Corm
2009-12-04, 09:59 PM
Concentration doesn't require components, it just requires you to spend a standard action.
Huh... maybe I should houserule summons as being concentration +1 round/level. It would solve the issue of summon monster 1 being totally useless.

Summoning a monster for one round does seem a little stupid, doesn't it? I think that would be a fair houserule.