PDA

View Full Version : Working on my character

Doomboy911
2009-12-04, 10:05 PM
Well I began by making a bard (elan is just that cool) but I wished to give him the personality of a nomad hence I gave him a sling, staff, a robe covering his entertainer's outfit and a guitar. The idea is that he's just a wandering writer keeping track of the stories his party has. Now I'm trying to sway my character in that direction as a nomad. (Granted I plan to get him this musical instrument sword I heard of)Also if you're wondering about the rest of my party I have a warforged barbarian (He's a blender with legs) a artificer who has a staff as well , a vampire druid, a feral ranger and a changeling paladin. (Also just to ask does a ranger get a bonus for being a feral?).

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-04, 10:11 PM
It is a good idea to tell what is what you asking for.

and as for Feral ranger I am assuming he is a ranger with the feral template applied right? IIRC it gives bonus to str con dex and wis and a penalty to int, so unless your ranger is your skill monkey I think it is a good idea (may fit thematically too)

Doomboy911
2009-12-04, 10:19 PM
Well my basic question besides the feral thing is how can I make my bard with the wanderer theme. Someone suggested to take the class floruchan lyricist when I can but I have a prestige class planned (shadowdancer of virtuoso). Also just another question has anyone ever played as a changeling before I kind of want to know about the shapeshifting feats.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-04, 10:25 PM
I have played changelings before; they are fun, especially when trying to escape a prison, but I never bodered with the shapechanging feats (I am asuming feats such as Racial Emulation).

And as for the nomadic bard.... I sugest the skill trick Collector of stories (Complete Scoundrel) which I thinks fits thematically with someone who never stays too much in one place.....definetly some multifunctional magic items, I think a traveler needs to be ready for everythin

Temotei
2009-12-04, 11:04 PM
There are a couple skill tricks that could fit with this character. Maybe "Listen to This," in addition to the one above mentioned.

Horizon walker is a prestige class that may fit what you're looking for.

The Obscure Lore feat (Complete Adventurer) could fit the concept, although it's not exactly for optimized builds.

Magic of the Land is another consideration (Races of the Wild).

Wanderer's Diplomacy (PHB II) is another.

Those are some options I can think of.

Human Paragon 3
2009-12-04, 11:28 PM
You may like virtuoso prc, keyed to poetry or oratory or storytelling or acting or whatever your perform happens to be. It just emphasizes your bardic performance over the other features of the bard.

Temotei
2009-12-04, 11:36 PM
I have a prestige class planned (shadowdancer of virtuoso).

You may like virtuoso prc, keyed to poetry or oratory or storytelling or acting or whatever your perform happens to be. It just emphasizes your bardic performance over the other features of the bard.

Just pointing that out.

Wings of Peace
2009-12-04, 11:53 PM
I hear wanderers like Dragonfire Inspiration >.> It could be some sort of song learned from an exotic land...

Doomboy911
2009-12-05, 10:59 AM
These are some great suggestions though horizon walker fits well it feels like it has kind of useless abilities. Sure I get small bonuses in areas but I'm not the front line fighter the blender with legs is.

Shademan
2009-12-05, 11:29 AM
isnt there a magic item called "wanderers coat" or something, that allows you to pull out (randomly) whatever a wanderer might need?
like, lanterns, ladders, a angry badger, food, a coin or lavatory paper

Raiki
2009-12-05, 11:35 AM
you might be thinking about the "Robe of Useful Items".

It lets you pull out ladders, gems, and such, with the somewhat strange ability to pull out a door, affix it to a solid wall, and walk on through. Very useful, very flavorful IMHO.

~R~

Doomboy911
2009-12-05, 12:30 PM
Well that sounds really usefull the robe seems like its hard to come by though.

Raiki
2009-12-05, 01:29 PM
Well that sounds really usefull the robe seems like its hard to come by though.

Shouldn't be too terrible. It's the DMG pg 266. It sells for a "whopping" 7k gp.

There may be some debate as to whether or not the door functions like stated above...but considering you can also pull out a window I think the point stands.

But yeah, give it a look, at lower levels it can be a real life-saver. I can't count the number of time's I've rather desperately needed a dagger, boat, or mule and been so VERY glad that my characters almost always buy this item.

~R~

awa
2009-12-05, 02:13 PM
the feral template is not a particularly good choice for a ranger but it is a very powerful low level adjustment template. granting a bonus to str, con, and wisdom and penalizing dex and int.

It boosts your speed, gives improved grab, dark vision and the real over powered thing fast heal.

It also grants 2 d8 claw attack and a +6 to natural armor!

It also makes you a monstrous humanoid making you immune to many low level enchantments also depending on how your dm interprets the monster hd he may gain additional abbilities like pounce and rend ect.

The templates very powerful for a melee charecter particularly early on when the +6 to armor is still relevant but it has no special synergy with a ranger the claws doesn't stack with two weapon fighting and the int loss hurts the skill monkey aspect and the penalty to dex is bad for archery. On the other hand it's good for fluff

Doomboy911
2009-12-05, 02:48 PM
Well I plan on being the skill monkey of the group but I still want to be able to survive a fight.The robe sounds interesting but if I use up all the patches is it useless or can I just add more patches?.

Raiki
2009-12-05, 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that after you use the patches it becomes a normal non-magical robe. But there are QUITE a few of them, and even if you do use them all, you can always just buy another. They're fairly cheap.

Doomboy911
2009-12-05, 07:39 PM
Good to know pulling a rowboat out of a coat sounds weird and the door may be useful for the rest of my group if I take up shadowdancer. Though I heard about being able to take ranks in monsters like my friend who's a druid vampire what monsters are available for taking ranks in?.

Draz74
2009-12-05, 08:44 PM
isnt there a magic item called "wanderers coat" or something, that allows you to pull out (randomly) whatever a wanderer might need?
like, lanterns, ladders, a angry badger, food, a coin or lavatory paper

Besides the Robe of Useful Items, you might want to check out the Survival Pouch.

AmberVael
2009-12-05, 08:57 PM
I'm personally most fond of the Travel Cloak from Magic of Faerun. A great little item. Gives you resistance against cold (as per Endure Elements), keeps you dry, gives you rations (food and drink- drink being up to two gallons or water or tea per day), and also turns into a one person tent.
All for 1,200 gp.
I love it. Its amazing for a character who doesn't want to lug around a giant tent and have to deal with purchasing food all the time.
Not the most potent item, but certainly fun.

Doomboy911
2009-12-05, 09:31 PM
Now that sounds useful and cheap seems to match into the character just to ask if I picked an instrument like piano and used summon instrument well you can guess the kind of combo I'm going for.Trying to drop a piano on the enemy would that work?.

Doomboy911
2009-12-06, 02:33 PM
Say I spend some of my left over money to buy a barrel couldn't I fill it with arrows and use it like a massive quiver?.