PDA

View Full Version : Rock, Paper, EGO WHIP!! [3.x]

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-04, 10:19 PM
ok playground I really hate to bring up awful awful memories but in 3.0 Psionics there was the rediculous psionic combat system (cringe) yes it was a terrible combat option yada yada but whatever. In a game I want to run (Psionic Rokugan basically) I want less martially inclined nobles have Iaijutsu duel equivalents useing that psionic combat system.

My questions:
-was there anything inherently broken (overpowered modes, ect.) with the system other than it being clunky and useless in combat?
-I want everyone (barring people who have feats for it) to have about the same number of attacks and defenses, good idea? what should that number be?
-Would anyone (other than me) find this to be an interesting mechanic in a game from a player perspective?

sonofzeal
2009-12-04, 10:27 PM
Mind Thrust was overpowered in that system.

Basically, not being a manifester gave you good defenses against all of them (like -4 DC to your save), but Mind Thrust had +8 to DC. Ridiculous.

The other problem was that the cost/benefit analysis just didn't really support it. You blew so many pp trying to compete that you were useless if you did, but kinda also screwed if you didn't.

Flickerdart
2009-12-04, 10:49 PM
That was Mind Blast at +4 DC, the rest are at -8 (except Id insinuation at -9). It's also the most expensive one to manifest by far, and the crappiest one against psionicists as it damages CHA. It's a high-level mode by all its hallmarks, and while a low-level psion can use it, that drains him of all his power points and basically means he'll die. In an environment heavily populated with psions, Mind Blast is worthless completely.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-05, 02:57 AM
Mind Blast was designed to emulate the mind flayer ability of the same name which they typically use against regalar folk. Why they didn't just make it a power and not taint their psi combat system, only wizards knows.

Do the charts follow any secret formula or did they just toss darts at a board to determine the bonuses?

Eldariel
2009-12-05, 02:58 AM
I recall Untapped Potential represented a modified 3.5 version of the mindscape battlefield. I think it was more interesting than the 3.0 version.

jcsw
2009-12-05, 03:06 AM
I believe it was then simplified in Hyperconscious.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-05, 03:14 AM
Well I didn't expect that. Are the other systems still the stat based rock paper scissors type or is it like actual combat?

I only need the combat system to function for one on one duals against other willing psychics.

sonofzeal
2009-12-06, 12:48 PM
I'd suggest making your own.

The only really necessary part is to have different effects if they work. That injects an element of actual strategy into a system that's essentially just random.

Sir.Swindle
2009-12-06, 04:28 PM
Maby I'll just make my own and post it on the Homebrew section.

What i want to do is have each character have 3 attack and 3 defense modes with one each determined by their clan. I also wanted to take out the PP costs, since it would be entirely out of initiative dualing, but that would unbalance the entire system (if it was balanced before).