PDA

View Full Version : turning into a bird of some sort?

gallagher
2009-12-05, 12:29 AM
hey, i saw in an earlier thread that there are ways to make were-vermin. is there the same type of thing that can happen with birds?

olentu
2009-12-05, 12:32 AM
Birds are of the animal type I believe so one could probably just use the regular lycanthrope template as I do not believe it is restricted to any specific type of animal. I may however be remembering it incorrectly.

Edit: Though there was a size restriction I think.

sonofzeal
2009-12-05, 12:36 AM
I recommend Dire Hawk. Also works well for Wildshape.

Starscream
2009-12-05, 12:39 AM
You can indeed make a were- template for any animal. But the animal must be within one size category of your natural size.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-05, 02:04 AM
There's also the Heroyanki(sp) race in OA that gets the ability to turn into a Sparrow. Just refluff that.

Pluto
2009-12-05, 02:50 AM
Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) is a +1 LA template providing the Outsider type, fear immunity and at-will Wild Shape into several specific animal options as an 11th level Druid.

Isis, Nephthys or Thoth all provide bird forms.

...Or were you looking for options that showed some semblance of balance?

Darrin
2009-12-05, 07:58 PM
There's also the Heroyanki(sp) race in OA that gets the ability to turn into a Sparrow. Just refluff that.

Hengeyokai, Sparrow form. Fine-sized, AC 24 (that's nekkid AC at ECL 1), +8 size bonus and +6 Dex bonus. They make wonderful Warlocks.

There's also the Winged Watcher spell in Complete Scoundrel, 1st level Druid spell allows you to polymorph into an owl or raven. Although it sticks you with the animal's intelligence, it isn't particularly clear about how this is a drawback.

Bibliomancer
2009-12-05, 08:02 PM
There's also the Winged Watcher spell in Complete Scoundrel, 1st level Druid spell allows you to polymorph into an owl or raven. Although it sticks you with the animal's intelligence, it isn't particularly clear about how this is a drawback.

Well, for one thing, it makes you an NPC.

There's a reason all players have to be sentient.

Darrin
2009-12-05, 10:02 PM
Well, for one thing, it makes you an NPC.

There's a reason all players have to be sentient.

Dropping a PC's intelligence (Feeblemind, Baleful Polymorph, Bestow Curse, etc.) does not turn them into an NPC.

It may turn them into a trapfinder, poison-tester, and the petty cash register, but they are still a PC.

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-05, 10:32 PM
There's also the Swanmay from BoED, which lets you become a swan. Female only though, if I remember correctly.