View Full Version : I Love a Mystery (IC)

Schylerwalker
2009-12-05, 01:21 AM
"They're mad! All mad! But not me! I'm not mad! I'm just insaaaane!" The old man meandered down the street, waving his arms in the air and screaming. He muttered, he moaned, he babbled and burbled. His eyes were wild and his beard tangled; his breeches were soiled. In short, the poor old sot looked lost to the point of no return.

Burglars roaming rooftops glared at the man waking people up, while those woken up shouted out their shuttered casements for the bugger to quiet himself. To no avail. The poor wanderer, quite gone, stumbled down the streets dark, quiet, lonely streets of Dastille, wailing like some forlorn wraith as he approached what was apparently a beacon of hope for him; the Cathedral of Morviel the Shining.

The castle of the Duke Kederal loomed like some spiny behemoth over the town, its unlit windows like empty eyes, watching, watching the ragged madman. He approached the stained-glass windows of church, the open arms of the Dawnbringer welcoming the wayward spirit. With one last, hopeless cry, he lurched forward with what was left of his strength.

With a tremendous, clattering crash, he fell through the window. Dozens of shards of razor-sharp glass cut through his scruffy garments and unwashed flesh like they were paper, cutting him to ribbons. His throat slashed, the man fell to the floor, his dying gurgles soon ebbing off. He managed to utter one final word before he went on to his final reward. This word was heard by the priests who rushed forward, too late to save him.

"Yellow."

------------------

The Next Day

A crowd had gathered around the scene, as could only be suspected in such a situation. A cordon of town guardsmen kept curious onlookers at bay with the hafts of their halberds, sternly telling them off. The Duke Kederal had decided to send his top investigator, the goblin Ballan, and his team to investigate the bizarre death. Was it murder? Suicide? Some queer combination of the two?

It was their job to find out.

Adventure 1: I Love a Mystery

Kantolin
2009-12-05, 02:45 AM
Niiice and early.

The goblin adjusted his grey flatcap, ensuring it was straight as he walked. Some people just didn't have the decency to cause trouble when it was a /reasonable/ hour - he'd been having a wonderful dream. Nevermind having not gotten as much sleep as he needed to as he was still reviewing paperwork. Nevermind that he wasn't a morning person.

He shook his head to clear it a bit more. Bah. Time to be professional.

He straightened his gloves, giving himself another once-over - technically, a little late since he was walking already, but it was for the best. He was wearing his typical browns - brown cloak, black boots. Everything seemed to be in order, and -

<I.... isn't it... isn't it t-too l-late? I- I mean to be looking over yourself. Er, er, n-not t-to say that... I mean, I didn't mean that your ->

Ballan smiled, at the voice in his head. Technically, no words were stated - it was entirely telepathic. It was from the small, floating, sky blue, transluscent crystal which tended to follow Ballan around.

<It's okay. Better to make certain... you know how nobles can focus on aesthetics. I'm on official business.>

<R-right.>

And he was on the scene.

As he tended to, he mentally thanked Tok for gifting him with small size - getting through the crowd was very easy when you didn't need a lot of room to move. Most of the people didn't even notice him until he, and his floating crystal, were by the body.

So.

The crowd was a little surprised by his initial reaction - which was to simply look at the man. He just stood there, watching for an awkward frame of time - someone in the crowd even stated, "Uh, he's dead." as if assuming Ballan was unsure about it.

But he was analyzing clues. Beard - that didn't happen after just one day. The state of the breeches reinforced that theory.

Thank Tok that his father was a tailor.

Then there were the more obvious - broken window, slashed body, blood. But the question here wasn't what happened - everyone knew that - it was /why/. And to determine that, he had to know what had happened before. That probably meant asking around - who was this man?

But first, he'd look a little longer... he didn't want to miss something.

SPoilaaja
2009-12-05, 06:18 AM
Ghean had been woken up by a messenger. There had been a strange death in the city. It was from Ballan.

Ghean had donned his chainshirt under his exlorers outfit.. just in case. He had been taught by one of the best. It wasn't easy to spot him being armored, his clothes were designed to fit the armor under them.

Ghean was a quite tall and lean but muscular man. He had put his brimmed hat deep over his eyes, covering his strong long blonde ponytailed hair. He had a dark green scarf wrapped around his neck. Ghean's pants and jacket were both well made brown leather garments. He also had black leather gloves. His thick dark shaded cape concealed his two big blades and a quiver of arrows. He had his bow across his chest.

Ghean mounted on his horse. It's name was Lion's heart. The name was quite accurate. The horse was as brave as the bravest horses in his tribe had been. Sometimes he felt like his totem animal should have been a horse.

As Ghean tought about a horse being his totem animal, he heard the lion growl in his head. Great one... ofcourse you are my guardian spirit... I'm just letting my toughts fly mumbled Ghean.

Ghean arrived at the scene and saw the crowd. Just perfect... curious commoners trashing all the clues.. As Ghean was mounted he towered over the crowd and saw his colleague, and dear friend Ballan. Ghean's tragical life had taught him not to express his feelings to everyone.

Ghean pushed through the crowd mounted. It was easier this way. When people saw well trained warhorses, they usually thought that it had something to do with a noble or one of their highranked underlings. Ghean showed his detective authorizations to the guards and pushed through.

He unmounted, commanded the trained horse to stay. Then Ghean walked to Ballan. It's been a while friend. So what exactly happened in here? Ghean asked with a clear accent using imberwyn.

Schylerwalker
2009-12-05, 07:36 AM
Alban, the High Priest of Morviel in Dastille, approached, wringing his hands together and mopping his bald, sweating head with a handkerchief that had seen better days.

"Ah, good to see you investigators," he said, eyes darting between the mysterious goblin and his "savage" friend. "I'm so glad that you could make it. Dreadful, dreadful, isn't it?" he tittered, looking over his shoulder at the body strewn in the destroyed windowframe. It seemed he was talking more about the window, and less about the corpse.

"I asked the guards for permission to clean it up, but they said to wait for you. Something about destroying the evidence." He puffed himself up, looking like a slightly indignant frog in a bright yellow robe. "Please, detectives, hurry about with your investigative work. I will not have my church defiled so, no, I will not have it, I will not!" A nearby guardsman rolled his eyes.

Under close observation, the body appeared to be that of no one of great importance in the grand scheme of things. He wore a burlap tunic and raggedy breeches, worn sandals, and a rope belt. His beard was long and wild, shooting out in several directions. He lay on his right side, right arm flung out, the left curled around his stomach, as if attempting to protect something...perhaps trying to stop the blood flowing out of the wound in his stomach? To no avail, apparently.

His eyes were wide, staring, and foam and spittle, not to mention more than a little blood, were gathered around his mouth, as if he had died as he'd lived his last few hours; gasping, screaming, and moaning insanities. Shards of glass were stuck in his arms, chest, and face, completing the gruesome picture.

[Make Spot checks]

SPoilaaja
2009-12-05, 07:57 AM
Ghean kept a blank face. He already despised the high priest. There had been a murder and all he cared about was cleaning the place. Yearning for political power truly changed people.

We'll try to work as fast as we can. But even so we won't hustle with the investigation so we won't miss any important clues, High priest. We'd also like to have a word with the priests who found him. Ghean said with a steady voice and thick accent.

spot check: [roll0]

Erlan
2009-12-05, 08:06 AM
Lorendel was already awake and donning his armor when word came. The elf finished preparing himself and left to help the rest of the investigators.

He wore the heavy golden armor of his family and strapped to his back were two swords, both of the best quality. One a very large blade, the other light piercing blade. He kept his helmet strapped to his side when he did not have use of it.

Lorendel was tall for an elf. He had long auburn hair down past his shoulders and eyes of green. The wood elf was relativity quiet most of the time. His actions spoke more than his words.

He arrived at the scene as Ballan and Ghean were being talked at by the priest. He had no trouble pushing through the crowd, a commoner wouldn't dare mess with a fully armed man.

"Morning," he said to Ballan and Ghean. "Seems we have quite the mess here." Lorendel examines the body closely to see if he can spot something that was not seen before.
[roll0]

Kantolin
2009-12-05, 03:33 PM
A bit engrossed in his analysis, Ballan's first notification that Ghean had approached was his psicrystal. Ever on edge, the crystal reflexively floated to the other side of the goblin's head - thing was afraid of everyone.

Ballan looked up, and smiled: two heads will make this easier. Before he could respond, however, high priest Alban dashed forward, visibly worried about his church. Ballan half-smiled - the high priest's antics were a little amusing in the face of a grim scene such as this one.

He added to Ghean's statement, "If you would, however, remain back a short time more while we continue." He spoke Imberwyn with a very casual tint to it.

Then, to Ghean. "Good to see you too. Looks like it's gonna be hard rough to figure out where he came from - looks like he lacks a home. Hopefully, from all the shouting the locals say he was doing, we can figure out where this happened."

Realizing he'd mostly been thinking aloud, he added for clarity, "The cause, I mean, not the death itself."

Then Lorendel stepped forward. Ballan blinked, a little surprised, "Ah, good morning." He was a little surprised so many people were nearby, but no sense complaining.

Spot check: [roll0]

JerichoPenumbra
2009-12-05, 06:01 PM
Aldos, up and early, just finished preparing his spells as the messenger from Ballan arrived. A new job had popped up. He made as much haste as he could being at almost the other end of town and without a decent mode of transportation. He thought that he was going to be late. He hated being late.

Once Aldos arrived he pushed through crowd as viewed everyone shiver in the cold in the morning. Once again glad over the fact he casts Endure Elements every morning. But still drew his cloak around him. Most people don't go around carrying guns. They were a new kind of weapons that experimental and dangerous at best. He knew the crowd had already gathered but he didn't what people to stare at him that much. He found it extremely annoying when people stare at him.

Lorendel had arrived in that flashy armor of his. He never could never figure out why anyone would want to wear armor this early in the morning or at all. Ghean had already arrived as well, probably talking to that great one or whatever he calls it. Ballan was probably talking to that crystal that keeps following him around, more like a glorified Ioun Stone. Aldos thought about the pros and cons of having a companion himself, other wizards gain boons that aid them and gain and new friendship, but talking to a small furry animal in public will seem a little weird.

He notices that Alban is there. He knows that Ghean doesn't like the guy that much and neither does he. As far as Aldos was concerned, Alban was a sniveling fanatic who was as much coward as a he was brown-nosing shrew, striving for political power.

He strides to the company to find out more of whats going on. He didn't look that much at the report, just enough to know where it was and that a dead body was found.

"So, what do we have here Ballan?" In an accent that has a subtle tinge Imber, but also sounded like many others as well.

Spot Check:[roll0]

Schylerwalker
2009-12-05, 06:14 PM
Apparently, Aldos and Lorendel should have gone to bed earlier last night. Ghean and Ballan, however, surveying the body, notice something peculiar; something underneath the man's bloodstained shirt. It looked to be square, perhaps rectangular in shape. The size was hard to tell, perhaps a foot by a half a foot. His left hand was curled around part of it, as if trying to protect it from the glass he'd driven himself into.

It did not seem that Alban had noticed whatever it was underneath the man's shirt. "Of course," he continued in his simpering way. "I will do whatever I can to help you in your investigation, Court Detective." His eyes widened slightly as the elf and an official court wizard approached.

"Calm down, Alban," said a deep, calm voice. Sir Roderic, Knight Captain of the Paladins of Morviel in Dastille, approached from the quiet shadows of the church. The man was tall and broad-shouldered, with a strong jaw, blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and handsome features. With his gleaming platemail, long cloth-of-gold cloak, and mighty greatsword, he cut quite the dashing figure. Several women in the crowd sighed and swooned.

"What have you got so far investigators?" he asked, resting his gauntleted hands on his hips and fixing the small, odd group with his piercing gaze.

SPoilaaja
2009-12-05, 10:32 PM
Ghean noticed that something under the victims shirt. He glanced at the rest of the party. He saw that Ballan had also set his eyes on the object. Ghean gave a meaningful look to Ballan and made signs to keep quiet about it.

Sir Roderic Ghean said with respect in his voice and nodded as it was a necessary honour. Meeting the paladin eye to eye with his cold gaze he continued We have just arrived at the scene. We only know as much as we have heard from others. I believe that you've already heard the stories how this happened, tragical isn't it?

Kantolin
2009-12-06, 06:16 AM
Maybe it was something in his blood, but Ballan always reflexively took a step away from paladins when they arrived. Of course, his psicrystal was a touch more active - very rapidly moving so Ballan was between it and Sir Roderic.

He noted Ghean's gaze, and raised an eyebrow for a moment before turning back to the Knight Captain.

"Sir." He nodded, respectfully. "I am a little surprised you arrived so quickly. Do you have additional information about our victim?"

<I-Is something wrong?>

Ballan mentally answered his psicrystal, <No. I am assuming Ghean's judgement is sound.>

Ballan crossed his arms, adopting almost a thinker's pose.

Schylerwalker
2009-12-08, 03:25 PM
Sir Roderic shrugged, his plate and mail making an odd, metallic clink and slither sound. "I only know what the priests on duty last night told me. They were cleaning up the Inner Sanctum, preparing for the Dawn Rituals, when they heard screaming. Seconds later, a crash followed, and they rushed up to investigate." He beckoned forward a timid priest in the background.

"Brother Gavin," he said pleasantly, "Why don't you tell these fine gentlemen what that poor victim said last night before he died." Brother Gavin, looking like he felt a bit better just by being in Roderic's presence, looked quickly back and forth between Ghean and Ballan. "Well, sirs," he said hesitantly. "As we rushed forward to help him -- I'm terribly sorry that we were too late! -- he gasped out something with his last breath. And then, um. He died," he finished lamely."

"I'm not sure...but I think it sounded like 'yellow.'" At this, he looked rather confused. "I'm pretty sure he was just referring to our robes," he said, waving a hand at his bright yellow robes -- almost all of Morviel's priesthood wore such. "But his voice carried...I don't know. Weight, impact?" Brother Gavin looked a little desperate. "But he was awfully fargone."

SPoilaaja
2009-12-08, 04:57 PM
Ghean listened to the men picking up any nuanses and ephasises on the words. He also tried to read the body languages to pick anything suspisious.
Sense motive:

[roll0] is Brother Gaving lying? Maybe hiding something?

Fargone you say? Seems like we need someone to check what poisons he has in his system. Was it just alcohol, or did someone drug him. Ghean pondered out loud. Aldos.. have you prepared your arcane magic for the day? If you can detect poisons, could you cast the spell on the body?

Schylerwalker
2009-12-08, 05:03 PM
Brother Gavin seems to be telling the truth, as far as your senses can tell you. High Priest Alban seemed rather insulted by Ghean's request. "My magic is not arcane," he said haughtily. "It comes from the very gods themselves. I am a conduit of divine energy, a living vessel for Morviel's essence."

And then, with a final huff, and sounding somewhat sheepish, he added "No. I did not think to prepare a spell for the detection of poison."

SPoilaaja
2009-12-08, 05:22 PM
OOC:

Aldos = the name of our party wizard :D

I'm sorry High Priest, I would never claim such thing. I was adressing Aldos, a member of our investigation team Ghean said gesturing towards Aldos

Schylerwalker
2009-12-08, 05:57 PM
OOC: ~Slaps forehead.~ I got Alban and Aldos mixed up. How did THAT happen. :smallamused:

JerichoPenumbra
2009-12-08, 09:16 PM
"Yes Ghean, I did so happen to prepare a poison detecting spell today." With a sly smirk in the direction of the High Priest. Then turning back to the rest of the group.

"I have also prepared a spell for tracking an individual and traces of said person. But I'll need a possession of his that's been on him for at least a day. We can probably use this spell to find out where the poor sod came from, I could use some of the rags on him as the spell's focus."

"I suppose I'll get to finding out if this guy was poisoned now. Paeraes Vyryl."

Aldos casts Detect Poison
Wisdom Check: [roll0]

Schylerwalker
2009-12-09, 12:35 AM
Using his mystical powers of deduction, Aldos does not believe that the dead fellow was poisoned. Apparently, he was completely sober when he flung himself headfirst through a window. Alban, looking irritable, added in acid tones "Well, wizard. Did you find anything useful?"

Sir Roderic gave the High Priest a disapproving glance before directing his gaze back upon Aldos. "Yes. Was he poisoned? Drunk?"

JerichoPenumbra
2009-12-09, 09:32 PM
Turning toward Sir Roderic, "No he wasn't, in fact I detect a distinct lack of any kind of poison. Therefore he was either magically compelled to smash himself through a window or just plain bonkers. I personally think the later is most likely. Most enchantments are able to be shrugged off with a strong enough will. Even if someone was compelled to obey another through magic, making someone do a suicidal action is difficult even for masters."

Turning back to the team, "So should I start casting the other spell I mentioned earlier? It takes a while to cast it."

SPoilaaja
2009-12-10, 08:06 AM
I'd rather investigate the scene first, before starting to follow any trails, Aldos. But if the spell helps with the scene in hand, please cast your magics. Ghean replied to Aldos' question with his thick accent and continued talking to the party So should we start looking for any evidences before someone else falls through a window messing the current scene? Ghean said with his hard voice. It was hard to tell was he joking, being sarcastic or was he dead serious.

Thank you sirs for your time. I hope that if we need more of your help or insights, we can look you up or ask for an audience? We should start to put all of our focus onto the case in hand. The faster we get to it, the faster the window can be repaired. Ghean said trying to tone the voice softer, so he wouldn't sound harsh... He didn't like many of the higher ups. They thought that they were above normal people and the worst even thought that they were above the law. Ghean immersed into his thoughts for a second before he remembered to honour Sir Roderic and the high priest and bowed his head down a bit.

Kantolin
2009-12-10, 08:33 PM
Ballan raised an eyebrow at Alban. He seemed particularly flustered - then again, someone did die through his window, interrupting his morning.

His attention then went to Aldos. He was always impressed by the depth and breadth of... 'normal' was the wrong word. Arcane magic. A spell that itself trailed people would cut down a lot of work. He was keeping no secrets from himself - that was worth being a bit jealous of.

Regardless, he nodded to Sir Roderic and high priest Alban, then turned to the rest of the group. "Actually, if it takes some time to uitlize, perhaps we could search while you focus. Knowing exactly where he went could also be useful information."

In which, unless further questions were asked, he started doing just that - ensuring there was nothing else they'd missed.

JerichoPenumbra
2009-12-10, 11:12 PM
When the others start searching Aldos will start to cast Marked Object.

OOC:
MARKED OBJECT
Divination
Level: Assassin 2, ranger 1, sorcerer/
wizard 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 24 hours/level

Upon casting this spell, you become
attuned to the specific creature that
owns the spell’s focus item. (A creature
is considered to own an item if it was
the last creature to carry the item on its
person for 24 hours or more. You do not
count when considering what creature
was last to carry an item.) This attunement
grants you a +10 bonus on Search
and Survival checks made to track the
item’s owner or find evidence of the
owner’s passage. This spell does not
give you insight into who or what the
creature you are attuned to is or where
that creature ultimately might be. Also,
the spell does not provide a trail that is
not already there nor provide you with
the benefit of the Track feat.
Arcane Focus: An object owned by
the creature or a piece of the creature
to be tracked, such as a tuft of hair or
a fingernail.

Schylerwalker
2009-12-11, 04:48 PM
(Whoever's searching the body...well, make Search checks! Though Alban will begin tapping his foot impatiently, you can take 10, or even 20, if you want.)

Erlan
2009-12-11, 10:06 PM
Lorendel bent down to search the body being careful not to mess with it too much. He was still wondering as how a man could be so crazy to just fall through a window. The wood elf knew it couldn't have just been the man's sanity or the lack thereof.

Taking 20.

SPoilaaja
2009-12-12, 01:26 AM
Ghean also closed in on the body, checking what the rectangular shaped thing was under the shirt. You should see this Lorendel Ghean muttered with a low voice. He lifted the shirt to see the object, so they could see it without showing it to the other spectators.

Kantolin
2009-12-12, 05:01 AM
Ballan moved from area to area, stopping and watching at various points.

At some point, almost without realizing it, he'd removed his pipe and begun puffing at it lightly. It was definitely a habit, to the point where he didn't even realize he was doing it anymore.

His psicrystal floated about his head, unable to go any further away from him at this point under its own power. Still, it helped him look around.

Also taking 20, psicrystal is aiding another. That gives me a 26 (20, +4 int, +2 psicrystal aiding another).

Schylerwalker
2009-12-12, 08:13 AM
Ghean lifted up the front of the poor bloke's shirt, revealing the object that he'd been so desperately trying to protect; a book. A thick tome, bound in cracked black leather. The pages -- as much of them as could be seen -- were yellowed with age, while the metal tips that protected the corners of the book were tarnished and dull. The cover was unadorned and plain, as was the spine. In short, it was a plain, if very old, book.

The others would not find much, but what they did was quite interesting. Considering their very, very thorough search, they'd find three things of note:

*A tattoo on the man's left shoulder blade, of what appears to be a black glove clutching a black rose.
*A pouch containing ten platinum coins and a small garnet in his right shoe.
*A dagger with an obsidian blade and a hilt of some dull, brown material -- possibly bone -- concealed up his sleeve with a cunningly strapped in place leather sheath.

Sir Roderic squinted at the book as it was revealed, looked puzzled, and then shrugged.

Kantolin
2009-12-14, 05:21 AM
Mentally, Ballan recorded the list of clues.

The dagger was most interesting of the new clues - the artful way it was hidden meant this man, in fact, knew a thing or two about combat. Probably that he had a talent for assassination as well, given how well it was placed there.

The money was less interesting (although it did also suggest that he was more capable than had been expected), but Ballan took extra effort to make note of the tattoo - it meant if it was seen elsewhere...

Noting Sir Roderic had also noted the book, he glanced at the crowd as he picked it up. He didn't want to cause a panic, and thus going to a more secluded area was probably preferable before discussing theories with his peers.

Thus. "I believe that's all the information to be found here? We should move as we discuss our findings... Aldos, have you received informatio..." He began, before trailing off, opting not to interrupt the spellcaster in case he wasn't done yet.

JerichoPenumbra
2009-12-15, 12:50 AM
Aldos had just finished saying the words and gestures of power of his spell as Ballan was part way through his query.

"Not yet Ballan. The spell is now in effect and now we need to go to where the sod jumped through the window to start searching for any viable evidence to where he came from." With a quick step Aldos goes over to Brother Gavin and asks, "Would you be so kind as to lead us to were the man jumped through the window?"

SPoilaaja
2009-12-17, 12:00 PM
I believe it is the window next to him. The one that we investigated while you were casting that spell Ghean said. Then continuing with a silent whisper that could only be heard by the team he worked with I know something about the tattoo. There might be unwanted ears in here. I'll tell you once we get moving

OOC:

Yays for natural 20 in the OOC thread

JerichoPenumbra
2009-12-18, 12:40 AM
"If I may have a quick moment to examine the area myself," Aldos says in a low voice. Ghean had a good idea of keeping their voices away from the hungry ears of the crowd. "Might as well use the boon to its fullest."

Schylerwalker
2009-12-20, 06:14 PM
[Aldos, go ahead and make your Search check!]

Sir Roderic watched the little pipe-smoking goblin closely, though he didn't look terribly suspicious. Alban continued to rub his hands together fretfully and mutter under his breath. Seeing that the excitement was mostly over, the crowd began to disperse, talking amongst themselves. The few that remained, the morbidly curious and those who had arrived late, continued to stare at the team of regionally famous investigators. The guards held them back with stern glares and halberds.

"Found anything interesting?" Sir Roderic inquired in his deep, commanding voice.

SPoilaaja
2009-12-29, 05:46 AM
*I'll just make a fool out of myself* Ghean thought. He knew he wasn't a good spokesperson. Ghean tried to speak as softly and smoothly as he could He was carrying only a pouch with ten platinum coins, a garnet, an old book and a ... weird knife. I don't want to jump into conclusions, but ... The knife and the coins might indicate that he was hired to do something that's not nice. Maybe he was an assassin? He had this tattoo on his left shoulder blade which I strongly believe to mark him as a member of some underground organization.

As he answered Sir Roderic's question he kept sure that no one tried to eavesdrop on them.
Spot:

[roll0]

Schylerwalker
2009-12-29, 08:47 PM
Sir Roderic appeared startled, to say the least. "Ten platinum coins, you say? And a...garnet?" He looked down at the corpse, apparently quite doubtful. "Who would've thought?" he asked no one in particular. "Well, if he was an assassin, he wasn't a particularly successful one. Well, if you're finished here..." The Knight Captain waved his hand, and the clerics of Morviel moved forward to clean up the mess.

Ghean
Make a Spot check.

(While Sir Roderic and Ghean were talking)

Aldos didn't find much. He searched every nook and cranny around the window, presumably taking care not to cut himself on the many shards of razor-sharp glass. Nothing on the man himself, and nothing on the area around the window. However, with the aid of magic, he found something that he would no-doubt have missed otherwise. In the cobblestones outside the church, next to the man's body, was something interesting.

Wedged between the cracks between two stones was a piece of some tiny, wispy material, barely larger than a human pinky-nail. It waved back and forth, slowly, almost mesmerizing. It was jet black, thick at the base and trailing off towards the tip.

Aldos
Make a Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (the planes) check.

JerichoPenumbra
2009-12-31, 01:29 PM
Aldos discreetly tries to safely pick up and pocket the substance then joins the rest of the team.

Kantolin
2010-01-03, 02:01 PM
Ballan shifted a bit. It was somewhat understandable, but it didn't seem that Sir Roderic was going to leave the scene anytime soon. Thus, they needed a method of talking without being verbal.

That meant it was time for him to try some of his own abilities. He closed his eyes as if in thought, focusing on his pipe for a moment - he was always a little leery of using his abilities as he didn't completely understand them.

Pre-planning always made him feel a little more certain, so he thought about it. If there wasn't a visual effect, he'd just not do anything abnormal and hope the link formed properly. If there was a visual effect, he could play it off as just another effect to clarify the clues, which it technically was.

And with that, he took one more exhale, and focused, closing his eyes tightly as the world faded away from him. As he did so, his psicrystal stayed everpresent behind him, an anchor for him to focus his mantras on.

Spot check: [roll0]

Goal is to manifest 'Mind Link' between the party, spending 2 more pp (total of 3pp) to link to two extra people for a total of four. This will let us telepathically communicate.

There's no visual or auditory display, thus I won't actually roll Ballan's concentration check to suppress them. :P No gestures, just focusing.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindlink.htm

JerichoPenumbra
2010-01-15, 01:25 AM
After Aldos reaches it back to the others, "Where to now everyone?"

SPoilaaja
2010-01-17, 05:21 AM
Ghean was suspicious. Someone had to be listening to them, so he glanced to the left and right before he lowered his voice and almost whispered I need to tell you something about that tattoo. But not in public