PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jar weirdness

Eurus
2009-12-05, 01:50 AM
Magic Jar happens to be one of my favorite spells, but it's also one of the more confusing ones out there. Specifically, I refer to this:

By casting magic jar, you place your soul in a gem or large crystal (known as the magic jar), leaving your body lifeless.

When you transfer your soul upon casting, your body is, as near as anyone can tell, dead.

So, if you cast Magic Jar, it would seem that your body is temporarily dead. Does that mean you can animate it as a zombie? And if you do, what happens when you try to go back to your zombie body? Is it considered "destroyed" by the zombification process?

This has some interesting potential uses, depending on how it works. Use Create Greater Undead to turn yourself into a Spectre, permanently? :smallbiggrin:

Even if it's ruled that your body technically isn't dead, or that zombification counts as destruction, you can still have fun. Your body is almost certainly without mental attributes, being little more than an inert lump of flesh, so go ahead and Animate Object it. Slap a Permanency on it, if you want. Now you have a body that goes wherever you tell it, while you hop around other peoples' bodies possessing them. Better yet, cast awaken construct on your permanently animated body. Possibilities abound!

Chrono22
2009-12-05, 01:57 AM
I'd say the undead body counts as "occupied". Negative energy powers the animation of the body and the mind of the undead. If you did succeed to take over, the body would die.