PDA

View Full Version : Browser question

Tirian
2009-12-05, 06:06 AM
I can't believe this hasn't bothered me before now, but I can't do something that I really really want to be able to do. I'm using Firefox 3.5, but I'm somewhat certain that many browsers have this same behavior.

Let's say that we have a link like blah blah Abracadabra blah blah blah (http://nonadventures.com/), and I want to paste the magic word in the middle of that into my clipboard. (Because, for the sake of argument let's say that I am using Google as my spellchecker.) But, argh, if I left click and drag in the middle of a link it thinks I want to drag the link somewhere instead of specify a block of text. If there is some combination of shift and control commands that let me get around this, I haven't found it, but it seems like something that they'd have realized should be in the interface.

Help me, Internet-wan Keobi, you're my only hope!

thubby
2009-12-05, 07:45 AM
clicking once highlights it all, again and it does the word, click a third time and then hold and it should let you drag to highlight starting where your cursor is.

Tirian
2009-12-05, 08:15 AM
Does that work on my post in your browser? Because clicking on a link in my browser follows the link and I lose focus of everything on the original page so there is no double-clicking on a link.

Reinboom
2009-12-05, 08:48 AM
FireFox:
Go to Tools -> Options
Advanced Tab -> General Tab
Check "Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages"
Close

Click near the link area you want to highlight (though, not the link itself, just before it is good).
Move your cursor with the arrow keys, hold ctrl while doing this to jump entire words, to just before 'Abracadabra'.
Hold shift + ctrl, and arrow key right once.
Hold shift, and arrow key left once. (not with ctrl)

Tirian
2009-12-06, 03:44 AM
Woot! You get a cookie. Or an internet, really. Take your pick.