PDA

View Full Version : Bills query

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-05, 08:07 AM
I will soon be moving into a 1 bedroom flat in York (I am fed-up of my lazy, drug-addled housemates), but since I've only ever lived in shared student housing I'm at a loss for how much my bills would be.

I'm looking at a couple of places now, but some of the rents come pretty close to my limits, and if I've got my bill estimates way off then that will really annoy me.

So I ask the populace of the Playground: about how much should I be expecting to pay on average for my gas, electric, water, any others I've forgotten (I really hope I haven't).

TV, internet, phone and Coucil Tax (yay for student exemption) I have sorted, and I realise the others will vary dramatically depending how much I use them. Just curious for some basic estimates to work from.

Thanks in advance
K-B

Disclaimer in case this is against the forum rules: I am looking for vague estimates, not set in stone amounts. I'm also not asking for people to tell me how much they pay, because that would be naughty.

Boo
2009-12-05, 09:23 AM
It's not against the rules to talk about residential bills. Just bills in parliament.

Can't help you with this topic since I'm a Canadian with no residence experience, but I just wanted to let you know so you don't have to be over cautious in this topic. If someone tells you how much they pay that's up to them, and how that could possibly offend anyone is beyond me.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-05, 09:35 AM
It's not against the rules to talk about residential bills. Just bills in parliament.

Can't help you with this topic since I'm a Canadian with no residence experience, but I just wanted to let you know so you don't have to be over cautious in this topic. If someone tells you how much they pay that's up to them, and how that could possibly offend anyone is beyond me.

I'm overly paranoid is all, I end most of my threads in a similar manner just in case. The Eye of the Gunslinger is ever watchful after all, and my standards for what is inappropriate have been withered be some less than exemplary sites.

Erloas
2009-12-05, 10:01 AM
Well there is no great way to answer that because those sorts of things can change a lot from one place to another. The only one that could give you a very reasonable answer is someone that lives in the same area.

I don't know about the UK, but in a lot of US apartments water is included in rent (mostly because it is too impractical to install and read meters for that many different units). Some places include no utilities at all, some include gas, and/or electricity as well. Gas and electric also have a lot to do with what kind of heating is in the place, if you have a gas heater then your gas bill is likely to be 2-4 times your electric bill durning the winter, but if you have electric heat you might not have a gas bill at all. Most places run gas because its more efficient then electricity for heat, but if you get some place that doesn't get too cold for too long its not worth the cost of installing both utilities so they go all electric.
Also costs might change a lot to heat or cool a place depending how well it is built and insulated, so you might pay 30% more for one place just because its not insulated as well as a different complex down the street.

In many cases the apartment complex itself should have average utility costs for their residents in the same unit type. If they don't then the utility companies themselves will have that information, and they can generally give you average costs of the previous resident in that exact unit.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-05, 10:04 AM
Ok. Thanks very much everyone. Obviously this isn't a question that can get a proper answer (mostly because of the points that Erolas made). Thanks for your time everyone.

K-B

valadil
2009-12-05, 12:49 PM
I've never had a one bedroom. Electric and heat usually total about $100 per roommate in my experience. I think that'll be higher if you're living alone. Naturally it depends on how energy friendly you are and how well insulated your building is, etc.

KuReshtin
2009-12-05, 03:35 PM
Right, I've got a 1-bedroom flat that I'm staying in on my own, so I can give a bit of advice, I think.

First off, the council tax will cover the water, sewage and trash disposal, so that's something you shouldn't have to worry about. (Disclaimer: Check your local council's home page to see what's included in the Council Tax, just to make sure, though.)

You also need to check if the home and contents insurance need to be paid for by yourself or if it's taken care of by the letter of the flat. The cost of that can vary quite a bit depending on the area, valuation of the flat and other stuff. Check this with your estate agent or the person you'll be renting from.

I'm paying £38.50/month for my electricity bill, which is likely more than what you'd pay if you have gas central heating, as my heating is all run on electricity.

The main thing about having both gas and electricity is that you'll get hit with the monthly 'line subscription fee' for both the gas and the electricity, which will raise the cost a bit.

You said the TV was sorted, did you mean that that's the TV licence fee that's sorted, or is that the cost of Sky/Cable TV subscription fees that are taken care of?

A quick run-down on my steady out-going bills each month is:

Mortgage (that would be your rent)
Council Tax (Student exemption for you)
Home and Contents insurance (see comment above)
Electricity bill (again, see above)
Land Line phone (already sorted for you?)
Internet connection (already sorted)
TV Licence (See question above)
Sky subscription (no cable option available where I live, so need to have the satellite dish)
Mobile phone (Optional, I know, but still something to consider)

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-05, 03:50 PM
Right, I've got a 1-bedroom flat that I'm staying in on my own, so I can give a bit of advice, I think.

First off, the council tax will cover the water, sewage and trash disposal, so that's something you shouldn't have to worry about. (Disclaimer: Check your local council's home page to see what's included in the Council Tax, just to make sure, though.)

You also need to check if the home and contents insurance need to be paid for by yourself or if it's taken care of by the letter of the flat. The cost of that can vary quite a bit depending on the area, valuation of the flat and other stuff. Check this with your estate agent or the person you'll be renting from.

I'm paying £38.50/month for my electricity bill, which is likely more than what you'd pay if you have gas central heating, as my heating is all run on electricity.

The main thing about having both gas and electricity is that you'll get hit with the monthly 'line subscription fee' for both the gas and the electricity, which will raise the cost a bit.

You said the TV was sorted, did you mean that that's the TV licence fee that's sorted, or is that the cost of Sky/Cable TV subscription fees that are taken care of?

A quick run-down on my steady out-going bills each month is:

Mortgage (that would be your rent)
Council Tax (Student exemption for you)
Home and Contents insurance (see comment above)
Electricity bill (again, see above)
Land Line phone (already sorted for you?)
Internet connection (already sorted)
TV Licence (See question above)
Sky subscription (no cable option available where I live, so need to have the satellite dish)
Mobile phone (Optional, I know, but still something to consider)

Rent: Sorted (includes water in my no.1 choice)
C. Tax: Exempt
Insurance: Personally provided (sorted)
Gas+Electric: I've been working on ~£50 for this, so your amount gives me hope.
Phone: Line Rental and a small call cost factored (I rarely use it) Sorted
Internet: Sorted
TV Licence: Sorted & up to date
Sky Subscription: I use Freeview so Sorted
Mobile: Rarely used and never been a problem before, so Sorted
Food: Sorted (gotta love Netto :smallcool:)

I walk to uni and work, and any misc. costs (drinking etc.) are covered in my Student Loan, which I'm leaving out of my calculations to see if I can live there without it in case it's late again.

Thanks for the help.

KuReshtin
2009-12-05, 04:03 PM
You could check with LR_33 next week at the meet as well, as he stays in the York area, so he should be able to give you some idea of the bills.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-05, 04:06 PM
You could check with LR_33 next week at the meet as well, as he stays in the York area, so he should be able to give you some idea of the bills.

I may just do that. Thanks again.