PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best First Splatbooks

AshDesert
2009-12-05, 08:27 AM
So, I have a friend that I recently introduced to D&D 3.5 with the SRD, and he seems to be picking it up very well (he figured out how unbalanced Core was on his own) and I want to start teaching him some of the splatbooks.

So, I would like to know the Playground's opinion on what the best splats are to teach a somewhat new player that has the SRD down pretty well. My first thoughts were PHBII and ToB (please don't turn this into a ToB argument:smallwink:). I'm wondering if Incarnum might be a bit too complicated for someone new to the game.

Temet Nosce
2009-12-05, 08:30 AM
Magic Item Compendium, and Spell Compendium. Followed by the ToB (then maybe the completes or PHBII)

bosssmiley
2009-12-05, 08:49 AM
Unearthed Arcana for mechanical tinkerage.
Tome of Battle for system extension/class replacement.
Manual of the Planes, Lost Empires of Faerun or Eberron Campaign Sourcebook for the fluff.

zarakstan
2009-12-05, 08:51 AM
I would personally go for the completes. And then for some of the compendiums and them some extra fluff books.

Sliver
2009-12-05, 08:55 AM
Depending on what he likes.. Expanded Psionics Handbook, ToB, Magic Of Incarnum could be a good start..

sofawall
2009-12-05, 08:57 AM
XPH gets my vote.

Reinboom
2009-12-05, 09:00 AM
I would recommend against Incarnum to start.

I highly recommend guiding him in further with the PHB2.
New base classes for many styles of play. Alternative class features for all of the older base classes. Quick build guides with WbL present. Retraining. Well put together feats for all classes. Great insights into character creation.
All together a wonderful book.

The Magic Item Compendium is a fun read after that, that is also universally useful.

I would recommend more specific books only after you cover these much more broad grounds.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-05, 09:03 AM
If he's familiar with the SRD, he's already got most of the XPH.

I'd say ToB would be good. It's the first splatbook my group got, and it was generally well-received, well-liked, and in every campaign we play, there's at least one ToB character.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-05, 11:52 AM
SpC and MIC aren't getting enough love. The sheer wealth of options in the SpC is awesome for anyone with at least 1st level spells.

Raiki
2009-12-05, 12:00 PM
I'd have to throw my two coppers in the with completes. I'd say start with Adventurer, progress on to warrior, then divine, and only then to the big guns of Arcane/Mage. Don't want to overwhelm the poor bugger.

~R~

Starbuck_II
2009-12-05, 12:07 PM
Unearthed Arcana for mechanical tinkerage.
Tome of Battle for system extension/class replacement.
Manual of the Planes, Lost Empires of Faerun or Eberron Campaign Sourcebook for the fluff.

Could you enlighten me what of Unearthed Arcana isn't online?
http://www.d20srd.org/

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-05, 12:18 PM
Complete Divine, Arcane and Warrior are good first splats. They don't add many new rules like ToB and XPH but have enough stuff in them to be interesting. Afterwords try some of the "Races Of" books and the PHBII along with the Spell Compendium and MIC.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-05, 03:40 PM
Could you enlighten me what of Unearthed Arcana isn't online?
http://www.d20srd.org/

The believe that alternate XP charts are just about the only thing that are different. There may be a few other things from UA where they tweak the rules of the game that would thus not be online. I want to say that the alternate fractional saves/BAB rule is in UA, but not in the SRD for this reason.

Lord Loss
2009-12-06, 12:36 PM
I second the suggestion of PHBII. The TOB could overwhelm a beginner (even an astute one), the complete books fill out Niches such as warrior, arcane caster, divine caster and expert. However, the PHBII expands on what's available, providing new classes that any player would like. If he enjoys a certain niche, buy the complete book that expands it. If he's experimenting, get PHBII which will guide him on how to build his charcter, give him more character classes that suit any niche, and give him inspiration for his character's background.