PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul

Fastmover
2009-12-05, 12:17 PM
Are they able to use Domains like a Cleric?

Glimbur
2009-12-05, 12:47 PM
They do not get Domains or Domain Spell Slots. That said, they can still get granted abilities of domains if they get a domain some other way (generally a PrC like Contemplative or Church Inquisitor or such.) As far as I know, the Domain Spells can be thrown out because you don't have domain spell slots; you don't get them as Spells Known. I could be wrong about that.

Fastmover
2009-12-05, 12:57 PM
Understood.

Ok so what about the feat Arcane Diciple from Complete Divine, there is a prerequisite for it that says able to cast Arcane Spells, I was making a Drow Favored Soul. Would his Spell-Like abilities count for the Prerequisite since the feat doesn't specify a spell level or such?

vanyell
2009-12-05, 01:05 PM
I don't think they would, as they are spell like, not actual spells.

then again, I've been wrong before

Fastmover
2009-12-05, 01:10 PM
Hmm.. I would hate to have to jump into another class simply to get Domains. Does anyone know for sure? Or would it be up to the DMs discresion?

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-05, 01:15 PM
UA has spontanious divine caster variant. That might save you jumping through hoops.

1of3
2009-12-05, 01:20 PM
As far as I know, the Domain Spells can be thrown out because you don't have domain spell slots; you don't get them as Spells Known. I could be wrong about that.

They have the domain spells gained from PRCs on the class list. As such they can learn them for their list of spells known.

9mm
2009-12-05, 01:29 PM
for a spontaneous divine caster with domains... there is the Shaman from Oriental Adventures; though I suggest begging the dm to let you use the cleric list like a favored soul, as like many originally Oriental Adventure spellcasters; spell list support is lacking.

Glimbur
2009-12-05, 01:32 PM
They have the domain spells gained from PRCs on the class list. As such they can learn them for their list of spells known.

That's good. I was concerned about balance issues for getting the spells simply added to your spells known, but I approve of how this works.

Haberdashery
2009-12-05, 01:35 PM
Actually, in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, there's the Mystic. They have sorcerer spell progression for cleric spells, all based off Wisdom, and they get a single domain at first level, adding all those spells to their spells known, and gaining the domain power. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

Darrin
2009-12-05, 02:39 PM
Hmm.. I would hate to have to jump into another class simply to get Domains. Does anyone know for sure? Or would it be up to the DMs discresion?

If all you need is the domain power, you can pick that up with 8 ranks of Knowledge: the Planes and the Planar Touchstone feat. Linking to the Catalogues of Enlightenment allows you to get the domain power of any domain, even a domain that isn't in your deity's portfolio. (Also a nifty way of picking up proficiency and Weapon Focus for your deity's weapon when your deity doesn't have the War domain.)

Or is there a particular spell or domain you need?

Fastmover
2009-12-05, 02:48 PM
Actually I wanted the "Fate" domain from Complete War. I wanted to get True strike without really having to dip into another class.

golem1972
2009-12-05, 05:07 PM
My group homebrewed an Alternate Class Feature for Favored Souls.

Basically, at first level, you gain 1 domain and replace 1 spell known from each spell level with the domains spell, or gain 3 domains and replace 2 spells known from each level (we felt the loss of choice made up for the increase in spells known).

We also houseruled in Turn Undead. It just seemed wierd that a cleric could but a favored soul couldn't.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-05, 05:18 PM
Did you give the Favored Soul K. Religion as well?

Mongoose87
2009-12-05, 05:28 PM

That's not errata'd?

Augmented Lurk
2009-12-05, 05:47 PM
for a spontaneous divine caster with domains... there is the Shaman from Oriental Adventures

The OA shaman is a prepared caster.

Thurbane
2009-12-05, 05:55 PM
That's not errata'd?
Amazingly enough...no. :smallfrown:

Ernir
2009-12-05, 06:24 PM
That's not errata'd?

There is that article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) that allows them to select either Knowledge: Arcana or Knowledge: Religion.

Thurbane
2009-12-05, 06:27 PM
There is that article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) that allows them to select either Knowledge: Arcana or Knowledge: Religion.
Good catch, I'd never seen that before! :smallsmile:

nekomata2
2009-12-05, 06:38 PM
Reading the warmage section on that article made me laugh so hard....

golem1972
2009-12-05, 07:15 PM

Just found my old character sheet, 1st lieutenant Patrick O'Malley had max ranks in K:religion. I honestly don't remember if we houseruled it or if we overlooked it and didn't realize that they didn't get it.