PDA

View Full Version : Wildman Psion (3.5)

lawsofrobotics
2009-12-05, 02:36 PM
I was thinking about characters that might be fun to play (I enjoy backstory), and I came up with this idea of a Psion who was cast out of his society for some reason (they don't like Psions? I haven't figured that much out yet), and who is forced to survive by living off the land, hunting etc. with the strength of his mind. My two questions are, what powers would he need to know to be able to survive like this, without relying on any items whatsoever (ie no dagger to skin the rabbits he kills with Mind Thrust, no canteen or anything like that for storing water, no shelter except what he creates himself, without tools)? And what level do you suppose he would be at, after a year (starting at level 1) of killing deer and rabbits and boar for food? Would that give him enough XP to get to level 3 or so? More?

In terms of power selection, I care more about flavor and utility than optimization. What psionic powers would you need to survive, without anything else?

Thanks.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-05, 02:38 PM
There's a second level psionic power that lets you sustain yourself without food or water.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-05, 03:35 PM
Alternatively, if you don't mind playing an Elan, you could just use their racial ability which does the same thing and more, thus saving you the power known.

Nero24200
2009-12-05, 05:42 PM
Depending on the enviroment, theres a class in Frostbrun which has as similer feel to this. You need to be psionic and one of the pre-requisties is actually that you need to have almost died due to harsh enviroments. Can't remember what it actually gives though or what it's called, but in terms of fluff it might fit.

Draken
2009-12-05, 05:59 PM
Depending on the enviroment, theres a class in Frostbrun which has as similer feel to this. You need to be psionic and one of the pre-requisties is actually that you need to have almost died due to harsh enviroments. Can't remember what it actually gives though or what it's called, but in terms of fluff it might fit.

The only psionic class I can think of that is found in Frostburn is the Cryokineticist. And that thing is an abortion. It is like the Pyrokineticist, but every ability it gets is visibly worse and the prerequisite is vastly harder as well (Must know this one second level power).

Doesn't really help you survive any further than giving you the Cold Resistance.

And from living outdoors... I would guess at least 6th level wouldn't be out of this individual's reach on a common fantasy jungle without any particularly supernatural enemies (like fey or magical beasts).