PDA

View Full Version : PRC: Paladin of Bureaucracy

Mongoose87
2009-12-05, 03:20 PM
Hit me with your best shot.

Paladin of Bureaucracy
“Ah, I see you have the machine that goes ping. This is my favorite. You see, we lease it back from the company we sold it to and that way it comes under the monthly current budget and not the capital account.”

Every business needs an accountant – whether they are trained as such, or simply filling the role. However, whether they realize it or not, all accountants are accounted for by the mystical group known only as “The Firm.” These avatars of accounting oversee all accountancy in the universe. Their most dedicated warriors are the Paladins of Bureaucracy, fanatical administrators who will stop at nothing to ensure that everything is in proper order.

Requirements:
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Divine Spellcasting: Must be able to cast first-level divine spells.
Skills: 8 ranks in Knowledge (Business Organization) or Profession (Accountant)

The Paladin of Bureaucracy's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise(Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Business Organization) (Int), Knowledge (Accounting) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft(Int) and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skill point per level - 2+int
Hit die - d8
Paladin of Bureaucracy
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Aura of Order, Booksmarts, Detect Disorder, In Triplicate, Code of Conduct|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Alphanumericze, Bookkeeping|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Organizational Skills|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4||+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|File This|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Aura of Order: The Paladin of Bureaucracy is known to be extremely boring by anyone targeting it with any sort of “Detect Alignment” spell or ability.

Booksmarts: If it is higher, a Paladin of Bureaucracy may opt to use his Intelligence as his primary attribute for casting divine spells.

Detect Disorder: The Paladin of Bureaucracy may, at will, detect non-orderly beings. This is a Spell-Like Ability.

In Triplicate(Smite): Summoning the power of the administration, the Paladin of Bureaucracy ensures that his opponents cannot act without filing the proper paperwork. He add his intelligence to his attack roll on a melee attack. If it hits, his the target must now make all rolls three times and take the worst result. If he misses, the use is not expended. This lasts until the end of the day. He can do this a number of times per day equal to his class level.

Code of Conduct: The Paladin of Bureaucracy must adhere to a rigid cod of conduct. He may never work in an environment without well-documented operating procedures. He may never travel with anyone who has not submitted the proper Companion Addition application form, been approved by the companion review board and passed through a probation period of five to ten weeks. He may not sell any treasure he has collected without filing am item resale form with approval by his supervisor. He may never commit a chaotic act, and falls immediately if he does. Any act that may be considered chaotic must be immediately submitted for review with a Chaotic Act Report form, filled out in duplicate.

Alphanumericize: Beginning at second level, a Paladin of Bureaucracy with an Intelligence score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her HD × her Intelligence bonus. A paladin may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using Alphanumericize is a standard action.
Alternatively, a paladin can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using Alphanumericize in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. The paladin decides how many of her daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.

Bookkeeping: At second level, the Paladin of Bureaucracy gains his intelligence bonus, negative or positive, to all saving throws.

Organizational Skills: The Paladin of Bureaucracy has an impeccable ability to organize. At third level, he emits an Aura of Organization. While within 20ft of him, his allies gain a +2 bonus to their will saves, which increases to +4 versus effects with the chaotic subtype, or created by chaotic individuals.

File This: At fifth level, the Paladin of Bureaucracy has achieved a prestigious enough post within his organization that he may send others to do his menial tasks. He makes a melee attack. His target must make a Will save with a DC equal to the damage done. If he fails, he is immediately teleported to file banks of The Firm. He then must spend 5d4 minutes there, filing a request to file a file, filing the file and filing a post-filing report. After they finish filing, they are immediately teleported back to the spot where they had been, before. This may be done once per day, unless the Paladin of Bureaucracy is promoted.

NEW FEAT
Promotion: Thanks to your long hours and fervent dedication to maintaining the ledgers, updating the books and publishing the quarterly, bi-quarterly and annual reports, you've finally been rewarded. Taking this feat means you've achieved a higher rank in The Firm. You may use your “File This” and “In Triplicate” abilities an additional time per day and your effective level for your Alphanumericize ability is increased by one.

deuxhero
2009-12-05, 09:08 PM
Full BAB and full spell casting with no real cons (beyond loss of... turn undead) with realtively easy requirments (1 dumped skill)? Seems a but uneven. Either add a requirement requiring fallen paladin (over cleric, druid, favored soul or even healer) or hurt something. I'd dip into this with a cloistered cleric for INT casting alone

Mongoose87
2009-12-06, 02:02 AM
Added obnoxious code of conduct, because no Paladin is complete without.

absolmorph
2009-12-06, 02:47 AM
I like the concept. It makes me giggle.
Alphanumericize doesn't make sense as an ability. Yeah, it's basically Lay on Hands, but Lay on Hands has an explanation (channeling the holy power), whereas this seems like you added it to make this closer to the Paladin.

Mongoose87
2009-12-06, 03:01 AM
I like the concept. It makes me giggle.
Alphanumericize doesn't make sense as an ability. Yeah, it's basically Lay on Hands, but Lay on Hands has an explanation (channeling the holy power), whereas this seems like you added it to make this closer to the Paladin.

Well, the text is nearly verbatim from Lay on Hands, actually, and the idea was that the touch of the Paly o' B was able to "reorganize" the character, whose wounds had "disorganized" him, but I couldn't think of a way to say it that satisfied me. Also, he is still a Paladin, so it's not like there shouldn't be a resemblance.

Belobog
2009-12-06, 04:44 AM
Well, the text is nearly verbatim from Lay on Hands, actually, and the idea was that the touch of the Paly o' B was able to "reorganize" the character, whose wounds had "disorganized" him, but I couldn't think of a way to say it that satisfied me. Also, he is still a Paladin, so it's not like there shouldn't be a resemblance.

Then perhaps, instead of undead, it deals damage to Chaotic-aligned foes? Perhaps limited to Chaotic outsiders, but those are essentially all giant frogs, so it may come off a bit specialized. As for the initial idea, you could squeeze in some fluff with the word entrophy thrown about in relation to destruction and annihilation a few times, and maybe no one will notice.

Milskidasith
2009-12-06, 10:17 AM
A spellcasting class without spellcraft seems odd.

Mongoose87
2009-12-06, 01:29 PM
A spellcasting class without spellcraft seems odd.

*facepalms*

Fortunately, I had wanted to expand the skill list.

imp_fireball
2009-12-06, 11:17 PM
Knowledge (Business Organization)

Sounds better as Knowledge (Business Administration). Since it's cleaner and more people relate to what that involves. Y'know, job titles and such. Which I'm sure the PoB obsesses over. :smallamused:

DracoDei
2009-12-06, 11:36 PM
Perhaps they should be Lawful <Anything> Square, if you use the third axis of alignment? Just as regular paladins would be Lawful Good <Anything>.

Xefas
2009-12-06, 11:52 PM
File This: At fifth level, the Paladin of Bureaucracy has achieved a prestigious enough post within his organization that he may send others to do his menial tasks. He makes a melee attack. His target must make a Will save with a DC equal to the damage done. If he fails, he is immediately teleported to file banks of The Firm. He then must spend 5d4 minutes there, filing a request to file a file, filing the file and filing a post-filing report. After they finish filing, they are immediately teleported back to the spot where they had been, before. This may be done once per day, unless the Paladin of Bureaucracy is promoted.

I think the 'minutes' in the duration should be changed to 'days' if you're one of those unlucky Barbarians, Totemists, or Savage Bards with 'Illiteracy' as a class feature.

As a bonus, I think all of those classes are required to be Chaotic in the first place, so there's cross-alignment synergy (not sure about the Totemist, though).

ThisOne
2009-12-07, 12:03 AM
Perhaps they should be Lawful <Anything> Square, if you use the third axis of alignment? Just as regular paladins would be Lawful Good <Anything>.

Where do you find information on this third alignment axis?