PDA

View Full Version : Romance of the Three Kingdoms campaign - Team 1, Adventure 1

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 06:03 PM
Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Current Adventure: Adventure 1 - The Red Feast

Previous Adventures: Imperial Recognition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130214)

Active players:

Hu Kaiheng, LN Human Warblade (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=132371) - tackhillbillu
Chen Zhi, NG Human Sorceror (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=163645) - Steilos
Liang Xiu, NG Human Swordsage (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=163739) - DrakeRaids
Tianlu Li, LG Human Warblade (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=163791) - Woodsman
Fei Zhao, CN Dwarf Cleric/Rogue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=164507) - Zjackrum

Expected posting frequency: At least 1 / day. I will similarly be doing at least one per day updates (with a few rare exceptions). If you plan to be absent for an extended period of time, please PM me to work something out. Otherwise, if a player doesn't post for a day, then I (the DM) decide his actions for that day, to the best of my abilities.

-------------

The year is 188 AD and the Late Han dynasty is falling apart, despite having beaten back the peasants' Green Bandana Revolution, instigated by the brothers Zhang Jiao, Zhang Bao, and Zhang Liang. The local warlords, who had amassed armies to fend off the revolt, now seek other uses for their troops.

Map (http://threekingdoms.com/map2.htm)

Point of Departure from History/Novel:

The Emperor Ling died suddenly in 187, two years before he historically did. By all accounts from the imperial doctors, Emperor Ling died of natural causes, although some remain suspicious. Ling's son Shao ascended to the position of Emperor at age 11, assisted by the Regent Lord Dong Zhuo.

Because the Green Bandanas have not been as thoroughly stamped out yet as in history, the friction between various lords are significantly lesser, and suspicion of Dong Zhuo has not yet mounted.

PC history:

The PCs, starting in the northeastern city of Beiping, ruled by Mayor Gongsun Zan, have traveled to the capital city of Luoyang. Gongsun Zan was to receive an award in Luoyang for his service battling the Green Bandanas, was assassinated during the trip.

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 06:06 PM
There will be no OOC thread for this campaign. Please post all OOC comments in spoilers, like this:

Can I rebuild my character to have Lightning Reflexes instead of Iron Will?

Dice rolls should follow your description of what your character does, and you should edit your post shortly afterwards to explain the results.

Please post your character's statements in color, with each PC picking a different color.

Throughout the game, I will be posting notes for myself. Anything that's spoilered that says "DM" should obviously not be read by any of you. That is, don't read things that look like this:

DMYou bad, bad player!

Anything that isn't explicitly marked DM though, you can feel free to read.

Similarly, sometimes I will direct comments only to one or more players. You are on your honor not to look if you're not listed.

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 06:08 PM
(reserved for other things)

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 06:21 PM
Day 14, 8am:

Luoyang is a city bustling with activity. There are shops of every kind, stocking many wondrous things you haven't even heard of. Plenty of actor troupes perform various shows anywhere in the city. The streets are filled with the aromas of all sorts of foods, both exotic and typical.

Luoyang has 4 pairs of city gates, one in each cardinal direction. Each pair of gates is massive and about 100 feet wide. There are guards and watch towers every 500 feet along the wall, with a beacon that can be lit to quickly inform others of an imminent attack.

To the north-central side of the city, there is another walled mini-city, the Imperial palace. The emperor and his concubine dwell in the city, but all manners of important officials enter it daily to discuss politics and policy. The city is heavily stratified, with the wealthy accumulating in the northern section of the city, next to the Imperial palace, and the lowlives populating the southern area.

Martially-oriented PCs will know of the great Lu Bu, a mighty goliath warrior who's generally known to be the strongest in the realm. Lu Bu serves as the Chief of Police in Luoyang. Some rumors have been heard of Lu Bu being at odds with the Regend Lord Dong Zhuo, who happens to be Lu Bu's adoptive father.

Gather Information stuff:

Please declare which ones you are attempting, and roll the number of hours it takes you to do so (1d4+1). You start at 8 am in the morning.

Also, please remember that I am using step-rolling. A natural 20 means you roll again with a +20 circumstance modifier, and a natural 1 means you roll again with a -20 circumstance modifier, so it is possible to achieve very high results even without very high mods.

Be sure to read all text that you qualify for! (i.e. if you get a result of 26, read the DC 25 as well as the DC 20, DC 10 results).

Who all is attending the Imperial Banquet?

DC 18

Almost all of the main attendants, including Ma Teng (aasimar), Cao Cao (gnome), Liu Biao (elf), Sun Jian (human), Yuan Shao (orc), and Yuan Shu (halfling).

Additionally, there is a half-elf named Liu Bei who has been raising a lot of ruckus, claiming himself a fifth cousin once removed of the current Emperor Shao. Liu Bei does not seem to have an invitation.

OOC Note: Each of these lords have jobs they wish to be done, and may serve as a permanent patron for the PCs. You may want to shop a bit before deciding to side with one permanently.

DC 25

There are a total of 31 heroes to be honored at the Imperial Banquet. Each of the honored is allowed to bring up to 6 guests. 23 of the the invited heroes have already arrived in Luoyang. Rumor has it that at least some of the remaining have been assassinated. There is talk of Dong Zhuo gathering the best alchemists in Luoyang for some nefarious purpose.

Where is (a particular faction leader) currently residing?

You find the address of any one of them with a DC 12 Gather Information check, with the exception of Liu Bei, who requires a DC 17 Gather Information check.

What news is there about Dong Zhuo / Lu Bu?

DC 14

The two are having quarrels over some woman.

DC 20

There is a girl, Diao Chan, who is a concubine of Dong Zhuo's. It is said that Lu Bu has plans on the girl himself. Lu Bu has been covertly trying to recruit those who can help him in this regard.

DC 26

The two are quarreling over a half-elf woman named Diao Chan. She is the adopted daughter of Wang Yun, and has been recently made a concubine by Dong Zhuo. Rumors are told of Diao Chan and Lu Bu being lovers first, with Dong Zhuo interfering. Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu have been icy to each other recently: Lu Bu is not currently allowed into Dong Zhuo's mansion, despite Dong Zhuo being his adoptive father. It is rumored that Lu Bu still pines for Diao Chan, and is covertly seeking people who could help him.

What is there to know about Lu Bu?

DC 10

Lu Bu is, simply put, the mightiest warrior in the realm. He wipes out 50-man platoons with a single swing of his weapon, the Solar Spear. He also happens to be the chief of police of Luoyang.

DC 13

Lu Bu is a man of simple pleasures--wine, women, wealth. Although he is not the most charismatic of heroes, he is by no means dumb.

DC 15

Lu Bu's weapon, the Solar Spear, was a powerful artifact left from much earlier times. Some whisper that it is from Xiang Yu, the mighty warrior whom Liu Bang, the first Emperor of the Han, defeatd.

Lu Bu has a mighty horse named the Red Hare. The Red Hare is at least twice the size of a normal horse, and runs at least twice as fast.

DC 20

The Red Hare was what caused Lu Bu to defect from his former master, Ding Yuan. Lu Bu murdered Ding Yuan in the night, and presented Ding Yuan's decapitated head to Dong Zhuo as a sign of loyalty. The man (loosely used in this game to mean any male) is thus considered extremely treacherous by scholars, although he has been known to treat his warriors well.

What is there to know about Dong Zhuo?

DC 10

Dong Zhuo is the Regent Lord and the governor of Luoyang. He used to be a mighty warrior, but has grown corpulent of late.

DC 15

Dong Zhuo possesses a mighty sword known as the Sword of Eight Moons. It is said that he was given this weapon as a gift by Cao Cao.
(OOC: Sword of Seven Stars in original RoTK.)

DC 18

Dong Zhuo rarely sees anyone unimportant.. it would probably be futile to try to gain an audience with him. This is particular true recently as he seems to be busy with a new concubine named Diao Chan.

DC 25

Dong Zhuo has amassed a huge army in the outskirts of Luoyang, nominally the better to protect the Emperor with. His intentions are dubious, however.

DC 32

Dong Zhuo has recently developed an extremely strong ingested poison known as Doombloom. He plans to use this to kill all his potential foes at the Imperial Banquet.

Other information is also available (especially about some of the other lords), upon request/roll. Obviously, re-tries are allowed.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-05, 06:26 PM
OOC: Gather info rolls [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
Good Mage: [roll5]
Blackmarket/Expert Armorers: [roll6]

Liang Xiu

Xiu took her time wandering around the city, taking int he sights and doing her best to find out what was going on in the city. Apparently Lu Bu was in some sort of feud with his father, heavens knew THAT. wasn't going to end well.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-05, 06:29 PM
Rerolling with bonus: [roll0]

GOOD GOD WHY DO THE DIE HATE ME

DrakeRaids
2009-12-05, 06:34 PM
Forgot to do the roll to see how long it took [roll0]

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-05, 06:42 PM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai stays near the Gongsun's, coordinating the Soldiers in their efforts to ensure that the Sons and the brother were not without protection. He had failed again and again on this trip, and he had to stop it somewhere.

ghostaxe
2009-12-05, 08:24 PM
OOC:

It's a separate 1d4+1 hours for each gather information attempt (on each of the different topics. You may also wish to consider using Aid Another, rather than rolling independently.

The Imperial Banquet occurs on the evening of Day 22. You have until then to complete as many (or as few) of the quests as you like.

Liang Xiu:

You manage to find a list of decent spellcasters in the city, both arcane, divine, and psionic. For arcane spellcasters, they are able to cast any Core spell up to 4th level at your request (for the right price, of course), and there's a decent chance they know non-Core spells from Spell Compendium, etc. For divine spellcasters, they are able to cast any spell up to 4th level, both Core and non-Core. For Psionic, they are able to manifest any powers up to 4th level.

You find a good number of armorers and weaponsmiths and magic shops in the central streets of Luoyang, and they are able to sell you any item worth up to 9,000 gp (except for Scrolls of spells higher than level 5). Additionally, you have secured a number of sources and contacts for dealing with more exotic and powerful wares. These sources hold items up to 40,000 gp in value, but they are not comprehensive in stock (you need to ask for any particular item). Furthermore, these sources tend to charge an extra premium for dealing with such coveted goods.

Hu Kaiheng:

Gongsun Yue says to you, "Kai, I understand that you're a very dutiful man, but there is really no need to be so high-strung here in Luoyang. This is an orderly place where law is enforced by the mighty Lu Bu. It is not like on the road, where we run into dangers of bandits and assassins everywhere. Take some time to explore the city, it may do you good."

Gongsun Xu speaks thus, "For once, I agree with uncle, but not for the same reasons. Luoyang is a city of slumbering tigers and subtle dragons. There are many able-bodied men who you may be able to convince to join us in Beiping. With the sad deaths of Father and Wang Rumi, we will need new talent and blood to replenish our ranks. So I insist, explore the city a little with the others, and be on the lookout for talent."

Gongsun Yue continues, "Also, it may be wise to ask around to see who would have wanted Zan dead. It is possible the mastermind lays in Luoyang, rather in Beiping. Surely you want to avenge the Mayor's death?"

Woodsman
2009-12-05, 11:18 PM
Tianlu

Tianlu stays with Xiu while she gathers her information, doing what he can to help her. He knows he has to keep his promise to her father, despite the fact they would be married soon. It felt like it was his duty.

OOC:
Aid another on Gather Information, if such a thing is possible

DrakeRaids
2009-12-05, 11:26 PM
OOC: Just roll yourself this time, then we'll do aid another next. I plan on visiting the Sun Clan the Liu Bei. I have a feeling Xiu will get along well with Sun Xiang.

Edit: Correction. Or they'll immediately try to kill each other. One of the two

Woodsman
2009-12-05, 11:40 PM
In order:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
Edit: Not too bad. Could be worse.

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 12:18 AM
Liang Xiu, OOC:

Sun Shang Xiang is still barely a kid at this point! You may end up being her role model if you do join the Sun Clan though :)

EDIT: Correction. Shang Xiang was born in the year 188, as far I could tell. That means she's either still in her mother's belly at the moment, or still in a cradle.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-06, 12:44 AM
Hu Kaiheng

OOC:
If we are picking sides already, Kai is going to be in favor of Cao Cao. If history goes like it did, and he ends up the Imperial Chancellor, Kai is going to see him as the most legitimate.

Kai listened to the words of the men. He was still worried, but had to admit their words made sense. Few would cause trouble under the eye of Lu Bu.

"If you insist, I will go and see to some business. But I would ask that you keep your guards close to you. Luoyang is quieter then the road, but it is not safe."

Kai turned and walked out, intending to seek out what information he could.

---

OOC
Do I need to roll a Gather Information Check to find Lu Bu?

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 12:52 AM
Hu Kaiheng:

Lu Bu and Dong Zhou's addresses are pretty common knowledge. You learn them after asking around for about 10 minutes.

OOC:

There's no guarantee at this point that you work for anyone in particular. The lords want talent, but they won't take just anyone, because that's just inviting spies and worthless rabble.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-06, 01:02 AM
Hu Kaiheng

OOC:
True enough, I suppose.

Kai asked around for a bit, and quickly discovered Lord Lu Bu's address. He was seeking information on his Lord's Murderer. The Assassin's had gotten away. But whether the Green Bandana's were at fault or not, there had to be someone elses hand behind the Assassination. Someone with the coin to hire an experienced Assassin. Lu Bu might be able to tell him who.

Or, more likely, tell me who can tell me who.

Kai intended to follow the threads where he could find them. Even if he to talk to people of the kind he would ordinarily avoid associating with. He quickly walked through the Town, following the directions he'd been given.

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 01:15 AM
Hu Kaiheng:

As you arrive at Lu Bu's manor, you notice two guards at the gates. They size you up and shout, "Halt! Lord Lu Bu is busy at the moment, and must not be interfered with. However, if you will kindly wait 2 or 3 minutes, he will be with you shortly."

You wait in silence in front of Lu Bu's manor, and no more than a minute later, you see two men--an elf and a human--soaring over Lu Bu's mansion wall (from the inside), and crash to the ground not too far from you. The men are bruised, but awake. They collect themselves and stand up when another two men--a halfling and a gnome--follow suit and are thrown right on top of them.

The guards smirk to each other. "Now Lord Lu Bu is ready to see you. I'll give word and he'll be out shortly."

The guards shout for a messenger, and the messenger returns with Lu Bu moments later.

Lu Bu is a towering figure of a goliath clad in red full plate mail. He has an unimpressive white short spear strapped to his back, and a large shield adorned with the symbol of a black sun on his left arm.

Lu Bu looks at you, and sighs to himself. "Another fool who wants to attempt the challenge single-handedly? Are you sure you don't want to bring some friends? They'll probably improve your chances from 0 to.. almost 0."

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-06, 01:44 AM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai watched the proceedings with some amusement. He didn't know quite what was going on, but he doubted it was anything serious. The guards did not appear concerned, and Kai was not about to take action without knowing the situation first. At Lu Bu's words, it becomes clear to Kai. Kai's only answer is a smile, one of the first true ones he had given since his Lord died.

"I would welcome the chance to cross Swords with you, Lord Lu Bu, but that is not why I have come. I come to ask your aid."

Kai's smiled dropped from his face, as his memory moved on.

"I am Hu Kaiheng, Commander of the First Swords of Beipeng, and former Soldier of Mayor Gongsun Zan. I say former because he was murdered in his sleep while we traveled here. From my investigation, it is clear that the man who performed this foul deed was a professional. I have come to you to ask you if you can give me any aid in seeking both the ones who perpetrated this foul act, and the ones who ordered it. My Lord's murder cannot go unpunished."

Kai looked at the huge Goliath, refusing to be intimidated. Kai wasn't one to mince words, and there didn't seem to be any way speaking to Lu Bu honestly would cause the situation to become worse.

"I ask this of you as a servant of the Emperor, and man who seeks justice for his fallen Lord."

Do I need to make a Diplomacy Check?

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 01:53 AM
OOC:

No need to Diplomacy for now.

Lu Bu nods, and says, "I see. And I can tell that you must have respected Lord Gongsun Zan very much. Normally, I would be willing to aid one such as you, but I have some very grave personal problems that I must take care of at the moment, and cannot spare the time to help you..."

He pauses, and then sizes you up. "You seem competent enough. I'll offer you the same deal I offer everyone else: I have a task I need done, and I need a competent group to do it. So I'm testing all those who seek my aid or employ. If you pass the test, I'll let you know the nature of my problems, and the tasks I need accomplished. If you succeed on what I ask of you, I will bestow upon you not only riches, but also a boon of your choice. Also, the sooner my personal affairs are in order, the sooner I can help you with your troubles.

"This test is more easily completed with a small group than individually. The rabble you saw me eject from my mansion were obviously not strong enough. Go and return with some of best your men."

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-06, 02:06 AM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai looked at Lu Bu, and then nodded. He didn't know what the nature of this test was. But he would do what he must to find Mayor Gongsun's killers.

Tianlu, Chen, and the Dwarf.

"Alright, Master Lu Bu. I will return shortly."

Tianlu and he would be more then enough for any physical challenge. Chen's Magical Arts would prove useful, no matter the challenge. And the Dwarf... the Dwarf had his purpose.

Tianlu last. He will be the easiest to convince.

Kai had more respect for Tianlu now then when they had left Beipeng. The rumors of a broken man had been overstated. Kai believed firmly that he could convince Tianlu, as long as he made sure Lady Liang was safe while the challenge went on.

It would be best if she remained with Gongsun Xu. No need to stretch the guards further then need be.

Kai turned back, heading back toward where the group was staying, hoping to find either Master Chen or the Dwarf there.

Everybody
Should I just assume Fei Zhao and Chen are at home base?

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 02:17 AM
Tianlu and Liang Xiu are gathering information for the day, but I'll assume that you can track them down relatively quickly (i.e. no more than an hour).

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-06, 02:28 AM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai goes after Chen before the Dwarf. He needed to know what exactly Chen would ask for, in return. Of course, he might do it out of honor for Master Gongsun, but Kai wouldn't count on that.

"Master Chen, may I ask for a moment of your time."

DrakeRaids
2009-12-06, 05:54 PM
OOC: Since Tianlu doesn't have Gather Info as a trained skill can he still assist me?

Woodsman
2009-12-06, 06:06 PM
OOC:
It isn't trained only, but you're better off than I am.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-06, 08:32 PM
OOC: Alright, first lets head to a mage and get a message to Xiu's father. Before he dies like everyone else there.

Liang Xiu

After wandering around for a while Xiu finally decided to send the message to her father. She was curious how he would react, happy, upset, worried? And she had still put off talking to Li about the registered. But there would be time enough for that later. She only hoped she had enough money to pay for the spell....

Xiu entered the local chapel and asked for a Cleric who had a Sending prepared.

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 08:43 PM
Liang Xiu:

You manage to find a firm near the north-central part of the city that specializes in message delivery. They charge standard price for a Sending of 280gp.

The agent casts his spell, and manages to contact your father. He begins with, "Wuqing, representing Liang Xiu, Luoyang."

You may dictate the other 20 words in the message.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-06, 08:48 PM
OOC:Alright, I don't have all the money for it, is Tianlu going to be willing to cover the rest? If so....

Liang Xiu

"Hello Father," Xiu begins, "Tianlu Li proposed to me, we received an offer to have a quiet ceremony here, advice?" She paused for a moment before finishing with a "Love you." and waited for a response.

ghostaxe
2009-12-06, 09:04 PM
OOC:

I'm assuming Tianlu is willing to pay, since he's part of this whole marriage thing too..

The agent repeats your father's words to him. "Xiu. Happy about the marriage. Prefer to have ceremony in Beiping, so it can be lavish. Take care and stay out of trouble. Love you."

Woodsman
2009-12-06, 09:12 PM
Tianlu

Tianlu paid for the spell. He had no problem doing so; after all, he was expected to take care of his wife-to-be.

Tianlu looked at Xiu. "I can wait until we return to Beiping. I'm not much for lavish ceremonies, though, but I'll do it.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-06, 09:17 PM
Liang Xiu

Liang thanked the Cleric and walked out beside Tianlu, nodded, she had been expecting that, and wasn't disappointed. She would enjoy a real wedding with all the family coming to the plantation. It would be beautiful and scenic. Perfect really. Xiu smiled at the thought before turning back to Tianlu. She was glad he was willing to go through with it, it really would be wonderful.

"Well, we have my fathers blessing, as if there was any doubt. I agree the wedding should wait till we get home though. I think I'd enjoy making a event out of it, though perhaps we can tone it down a bit." She said thoughtfully, "Perhaps we should look around some more? I'd like to see Lu Bu myself at some point, just to see if the rumors are true about his prowess. He can't really be that good can he?" she shook her head with a smile, "But for now lets see if we can find any more information on those attending the banquet. Lets see what information we can scrounge up shall we?"

OOC: So wanna do another Gather Info, joint this time?

Woodsman
2009-12-06, 09:59 PM
OOC:
Yup. You do the rolls, I'll be doing the aiding.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-06, 10:10 PM
OOC: You still need to roll a check, if you get higher then 10 then I get a +2 bonus

Woodsman
2009-12-07, 09:39 PM
OOC:
Aid another[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Edit: ... So now the Dice gods bless me?

DrakeRaids
2009-12-07, 09:53 PM
OCC: I hereby move to say that instead of making one aid another roll, each of being for his own roll >_>

See who is attending: [roll0]
Taking a Ten on finding for everyone but Bei: [roll1]
Lu bu/Dong [roll2]
Dong [roll3]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-07, 09:54 PM
OCC: Rerolling with 20: [roll0]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-07, 09:55 PM
OOC: Reroll again? Bonus info maybe?

[roll0]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-07, 09:59 PM
Liang Xiu

Liang Xiu sat beside Li frustrated, they had found some information about Dong and Lu's quarrel, but nothing, NOTHING, on the banquet. Nothing on what really mattered. She could care less about the whore and their argument over her. Sighing she turned to Li.

"Well.... what now?" she asked.

ghostaxe
2009-12-08, 02:28 AM
OOC:

Sorry, no bonus info on that one.

As you ponder what to do next, Hu Kaiheng finds Tianlu.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-08, 02:55 AM
OOC:
Huh? Kai was waiting for Chen? Oh well. Dunno where he is.

Kai shrugged as he came across Tianlu and Liang. Evidently fortune was telling him to talk to Tianlu first. He stopped and bowed to Lady Liang swiftly. Whatever else she was, she was a Noble. It wasn't for him to judge her conduct, unless his duties demanded it of him.

"Hello Lady Liang, Master Tianlu. If you have a moment, I have a request to make of Master Tianlu. It is rather important, but if you are busy, Lady Liang, I understand."

Kai wouldn't really understand, but he'd do his best to act like he did.

It isn't for me to understand how the Noble's think. It is for me to obey.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-08, 07:11 AM
Liang Xiu

Xiu glanced up at Hu and shrugged her shoulders, "No, its fine." she said, "Continue Hu."

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-08, 10:21 AM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai nodded gratefully toward the woman. While he might not be able to question their decisions, he could certainly be grateful when they agreed with him.

"Thank you, Lady Liang."

Kai turned to Tianlu.

"I have to ask a boon of you, Master Tianlu. I have spoken to Lord Lu Bu, requesting his assistance on discovering those who had a hand in Mayor Gongsun's death. He has asked me to complete some task for him in exchange. First, I must demonstrate I have skill enough for the task, but competing some kind of challenge. I ask you to help me in doing this."

Kai's voice was grave, simply stating his case.

"I ask that you grant me this favor, Master Tianlu. I cannot allow Mayor Gongsun's death to go unpunished."

Woodsman
2009-12-08, 10:18 PM
Tianlu

Tianlu stands from his seat and holds Kai's gaze. I will help on one condition. Promise me that once we find who killed Gongsun, you will not kill him. You will bring him in to face justice, even if he uses lethal force."

Zjackrum
2009-12-09, 10:57 AM
Fei Zhao

OOC: Whoops. Didn't notice we'd started a new thread. Was wondering why nobody was posting on the old one... Also, would there be a Dwarven temple in the city? Fei might want to stop by.

After being granted his freedom, the first order of business for the dwarf was to pray for his mistakes. How close to death had he come in the past two weeks? And surely challenging and angering the Justice had not helped at all. Although forsaking his God for failing to help when he was needed, Fei will pray for an hour, hoping to replenish some of his divine powers.

Afterward, to business - first: replenishing his supplies. Fei Zhao sets off by himself for a fletcher, to purchase a masterwork shortbow (330gp), a quiver (free with arrows?) and another 40 arrows (40 gp).
Fei then travels to the local blacksmith for five throwing daggers (10 gp) and the appropriate arm-band to conceal them on his person.

Assuming no difficulties in acquiring somewhat common items, Fei will then retire to the nearest inn/bar and try to relax.

ghostaxe
2009-12-09, 11:46 AM
Fei Zhao:

There is indeed a temple specifically for those of dwarven nature, and you manage to successfully find the items you are looking for.

No gather info checks for you for the morning?

Zjackrum
2009-12-09, 12:50 PM
OOC: Meh. Fei Zhao could care less about any of the goings-on at the moment. He's still wallowing in self-pity. A bit of RP at the Dwarven Temple would be good, but that'll probably come in a day or two after things are (hopefully) patched up between him and the rest of the party.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-09, 10:28 PM
Hu Kaiheng

OOC: Sorry for holding things up.

Kai looked at Tianlu, blinking once.

"...I will promise that I will do my best to. I won't promise that I will. If it is a choice of killing him or risking the lives of my men, or innocents, I will make that choice the same way every time. I can risk my own life, but I won't risk others."

Woodsman
2009-12-10, 09:43 PM
Tianlu

Tianlu nodded. "That is all I ask, then."

DrakeRaids
2009-12-10, 09:58 PM
OOC:Wait... what year is it?

Liang Xiu

Xiu gave a small smile, this would be interesting. A hunt for a wanted killer, an imperial banquet shadowed by death a conspiracy in the making if she'd ever seen one. But first, they had to help Lu Bu win back his painted whore, however unsavory the action. It was a means to an end, and a noble on at that.

"Well then," Xiu said standing up and adjusting her dress, "Let us head to Lu Bus manor then. I hope you don't mind if I pick up some painting supplies on the way, I haven't got a chance to do any for some time, and it does wonders for the nerves."

ghostaxe
2009-12-10, 10:03 PM
OOC:

Year is nominally 188, so I'm moving things up a bit (but Diao Chan's a fictional character anyway, so it's all OK).

So, onto recruiting Fei Zhao for the task?

Liang Xiu, Hu Kaiheng, and Tianlu Li: You find Fei Zhao where you left him in the inn. He's recovering, but still somewhat bitter about the whole experience. It's only been about a day, after all, since his name was cleared.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-10, 11:57 PM
OOC:
Actually, Kai is going to oppose Liang coming along. We want to just pretend he got argued down on that one? Or we could roleplay it just along side the other scene, with a determined result. Don't want to hold things up.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-11, 07:23 AM
OOC: I dunno. Go fort it for now, and we can just cut it off when Zjackrum posts I say.

Zjackrum
2009-12-11, 08:56 AM
OOC: Waiting for Zjackrum to post? I was waiting for you guys to come find me.

Fei Zhao

The dwarf glances up at you bleary eyed from behind a clay mug. He appears somewhat inebriated. "Somewhat" being a subjective term.
"Sure am lucky of my Dwarven constitution!" He mutters, although surprisingly loudly. "Wouldn't be able drink so much if I wasn't a mighty Dwarven warrior!"

Woodsman
2009-12-11, 05:26 PM
Given that Tianlu will side with Xiu on the argument, it may be a lost cause anyway.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-11, 08:59 PM
OOC:
Oh I agree. I don't want Kai to win, because he is wrong. If Tianlu really wants to, he can give an ultimatum. Thats why I just offered to have it constructively noted. We can play it out in the background, if you guys want, or we can just assume it and move on.

Kai looked at the Dwarf, and just sighed.

"Master Zhao, come along. We require your services."

Kai took the Clay Mug, and dumped the contents out on the floor. They needed to get the Dwarf Sober quickly. He wasn't about to give the Dwarf the same credit he gave Tianlu. Some people deserved choices (and some people demanded them like Liang.) Others were to be commanded.

"Cooperate, and I'll see to it you can drown yourself in drink for as long as you like."

Zjackrum
2009-12-11, 11:53 PM
Fei Zhao

The dwarf looks sadly at the empty mug, his eyes almost tearing up.
"Ah.. Another brother fallen in battle..." He mumbles, then straightens up to peer at you. "Who is this 'Master Zhao' you be lookin' fer, anyway? Me name be Fei Nong. Dwarven warrior and weapon-master, at yer service."

Woodsman
2009-12-12, 12:07 AM
Tianlu

"He meant you, Master Nong," Tianlu explained to the dwarf.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-12, 12:36 AM
Liang Xiu

Xiu desperately resisted the urge to drop her face helplessly into her palm as she listened to the dwarf. They need to go. Either he would help or he wouldn't, and any residual pity she had felt for him was vanishing as quickly as his sobriety.

"Zhao just come with us. You'll be have opportunity for gainful employment after which I'm sure you'll have plenty of coin to drink yourself into a stupor."

Zjackrum
2009-12-12, 12:05 PM
Fei Zhao

Fei frowns and his face darkens. The blurriness dissipates from his eyes and he glares at Hu Kaiheng. When next he speaks, all traces of a dwarven accent are gone.
"Have a seat gentlemen." He inclines his head as he lays eyes on Liang. "Lady, I have some matters to discuss with Hu Kaiheng. I don't think they are of the sorts for delicate ears."
(OOC: Yes, thoroughly expecting to be slapped, but Fei is a true gentleman.)
He turns his attention to Hu and steeples his hands.
"Angry? Yes. Motivated by revenge? Perhaps. But I understand the difference between a deliberate action and an accident. You are a hard man, Hu. I feel that drawing an apology for your actions, would require a very potent charm spell. I am willing to put our past behind us, if you are willing to do two things for me:
"First: Admit all men make mistakes. And second: I want to hear a story from your past - a secret of yours. A first love gone awry, A disgraceful or embarrassing moment, a terrible failure. Something to match my own story, perhaps?"

Sense Motive - [roll0]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-12, 04:10 PM
Liang Xiu

Xiu raised an eyebrow at Fei, but otherwise remained silent, simply taking a seat at the table despite his objections, and daring him with her eyes to make a scene about it.

Woodsman
2009-12-12, 05:35 PM
Tianlu

"I believe Miss Xiu is strong enough to handle anything we have to say," Tianlu stated flatly. He took a seat at the table next to her, unknowingly issuing a challenge similar to his fiancée's.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-12, 06:56 PM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai looked at the Dwarf with barely veiled anger. He didn't want to, but he didn't have the time to beat the Dwarf into submission.

"I will not admit all men make mistakes, Master Zhao, or Nong, or whatever you wish. I cannot judge any men above my station. It is not my place to determine if the actions of my betters are mistakes. I was born to my station, and will not rise above it."

Kai breathed out, continuing.

"However, I think what you desire is more an admission that I have made mistakes. And that I admit."

Rumi's death proves that.

"As for your story... this one Lady Liang can stay and hear. She might know it. If not, it might illuminate her understanding of certain facts of my existence. When I was a young man, I fought the Green Bandana's. I surivived the war, and saw them broken. At that point, I decided to lay down the Sword and Spear. The war had ended, and the Green Bandana's were no more. What was left of their members were sure to return to their farms, I believed. I rode home to my village, believing that."

Kai's anger had dropped away, his voice becoming completely flat, without emotion. He could have been reading off a manifest of supplies. He wasn't even looking at Fei anymore, staring off at the ceiling.

"On the way home, I saw a man in the torn uniform of the Green Bandana's. He looked pathetic, and was terrified of me. I stopped by the road, and gave him a little bit of food, and some water, counselling him to return home and burn the clothes he was wearing. He nodded. We parted way after a bit. The last thing he said to me was 'I'm sorry.' I arrived to find my village destroyed, my fiancee and parents lying dead on the grounds, carrion for whatever creatures lurked. They'd been killed by the Bandana's."

Kai looked back toward Fei, his anger returning. He didn't like thinking about that. He didn't like thinking about anything relating to his village.

"Now come, Master Zhao. That is the story of my greatest failure. Your price has been paid."

Zjackrum
2009-12-13, 02:10 AM
Fei Zhao

As Hu speaks, the dwarf's own anger seems to dissipate. He scratches at his beard, seeming deep in thought. When the story ends, Fei nods sadly, apparently relating and understanding.
"I... I understand." He speaks slowly. "I understand. And I'm sorry. Dwarves in similar situations would raise glasses to toast and recall the departed with fond memories, but I find myself more akin to the human method of mourning."
He offers his hand for a handshake.
"You will have my aid then, friend. And my sword and bow, if necessary."

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 05:47 AM
Day 14, 4pm:

The guards at the Lu Bu's manor gates recognize Hu Kaiheng and his "subordinates," and has a messenger inform Lu Bu of your arrival.

Lu Bu returns a short time later, and seems pleased with Hu Kaiheng that seemed to bring some competent folk.

OOC:

For those who haven't seen Lu Bu before:

Lu Bu is a towering figure of a goliath clad in red full plate mail. He has an unimpressive white short spear strapped to his back, and a large shield adorned with the symbol of a black sun on his left arm.

"Excellent. It looks like the four of you may have a chance. Come with me!"

The mighty warrior leads you into his manor, and takes you through an open area to his sparring room, in the north side of his home.

CURRENT MAP (http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard.jpg)
http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard.jpg

Lu Bu is the purple dot. You guys are #1 through #4 (Hu Kaiheng = 1, Tianlu = 2, Liang Xiu = 3, Fei Zhao = 4).

Lu Bu boldly declares, "The test is a simple, but not easy. The four of you have 2 minutes to touch me or my armor with your fists or weapons. If any one of you manages to touch me, that counts as a success for your entire group. Touching my shield does not count. I have a variety of weapons in the armory that you may help yourself to, if you wish. Do not worry, I know that you are no match for me in proper combat, so I will only defend and not attack. Let me know when you are ready to begin."

OOC:

You have 20 rounds to hit Lu Bu's touch AC. Bull Rush attempts count only if you manage to win (otherwise Lu Bu smashes you back with his shield). Hitting with arrows also counts. Lu Bu has masterwork weapons in his armory that you can borrow. Hitting his armor with an arrow also counts as a win. You may discuss strategy for about 5 minutes before you begin.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 08:20 AM
OOC: Alright, if I spam Emerald Razor + Cloak of Deception I should be able to hit Lu Bu with a flat-footed touch attack very round, and if that doesn't work I dunno what will. Any of you got ideas? Also which stance do you want me to use? Island of Blades so we all get flanking bonus, or Stance of Clarity which increases my own chance?

Liang Xiu

Xiu looped around the room in her more tight fitting and less cumbersome training cloths looking for anything that could be useful for the upcoming bout before moving over to the armory. She hovered there for a moment, debating on what weapons to use, before finally taking two short swords but leaving one on her waist for the time being. Grinning sh emoved back to the group, she couldn't believe this was happening,chance to spar against the single greatest warrior of their time. It was.. Invigorating.

"Well," She said leaning back, "What should we do? I've got some techniques that should fit this situation nicely, but they may not even be necessary. With this many of use there is no way he stands a chance. Even if this is Lu Bu, we have to be able to touch him right?"

Search: [roll0]
Spot:[roll1]

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 09:42 AM
OOC:

Er.. I don't see how you can spam Emerald Razor and Cloak of Deception? As a Swordsage it takes you a full round action to recover a single maneuver. Sudden Recovery allows you to recover 1 maneuver as a Swift Action, that you can only do that 1 / day. Adaptive Style allows you to change your maneuvers as a full-round action, but that doesn't increase the number of maneuvers you have left...

Also.. are you looking for something in particular with your spot/search checks? You just find a variety of masterwork weapons in Lu Bu's armory.

Woodsman
2009-12-13, 10:32 AM
Tianlu

Tianlu paled slightly. He doubted is was as simple as that. "This is going to be more about luck than anything. All we have to do is keep at it and we should be able to strike him at least once."

OOC:
I'm betting we can't hit on anything but a natural 20, with a good roll on the +20 bonus roll. Even for his touch AC.

Fortunately, eightty+ rolls gives us a good chance of hitting him at least once. Unless the dice gods feel like being jerks.

Zjackrum
2009-12-13, 10:59 AM
Fei Zhao

The dwarf raises an eyebrow at the man's request, but says nothing. Once they gather to discuss strategy, he raises his concerns.
"I'm a pretty good shot, but I don't know if that would help at all." He confesses. "If I can get behind him I might be able to distract him enough for one of you to land a hit. (Talking about flanking bonus) I also have a priestly ability that might - and I stress might - work: I can command him to drop his shield for a few seconds. Though with an experienced warrior such as him, I don't know, he'll probably just resist it."

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-13, 12:22 PM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai pulled out the potion of Bull's Strength he was carrying. As far as strategy went, this was the most he had.

"I believe now would be the time to use this. Lady Liang, I believe you took the other Potion from the Restaurant. Any advantage we can get is for the best. Other then that, I simply plan on charging Master Lu Bu."

Kai shrugged.

"Master Zhao, use your spell if you can. If it does not help, focus on distracting him so I can land a hit. Lady Liang, try your skills, and if they do not succeed, help Master Tianlu in the same way.:

OOC:
Zjack, cast it, and then just start hitting him with your bow. My Attack Bonus, with Flanking, Charging, and the potion of Bulls Strength will be +16. Drake, once you have expended your skills, just keep full attacking for the two hits. With dice rolls a turn, we have a 94% chance of rolling a Nat 20 before 20 rounds it up.

Zjackrum
2009-12-13, 03:17 PM
Fei Zhao

Fei Zhao nods his head at the plan.
"You know, when you said you had need of my skills, I was really hoping you needed some women seduced..."

If available, Fei Zhao will collect some masterwork arrows from the weapons collection. If there are none, he will take some regular arrows, to avoid wasting the ones he spent his own gold on.
Once everyone else is ready, Fei will cast command on Lu Bu, Will Save vs DC 13 to drop his shield.
After that, he will fire arrows at Lu Bu at 1d20+8 (or 1d20+9, if he found some masterwork arrows), unless one of his companions comes up with a better strategy.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 05:24 PM
OOC: I think adaptive style lets me spend a full round action and pick all new maneuvers, the full amount, not the ones I had readied before. At least thats how I read it, and while I could be making a mistake here I think thats how it works.

Heres a Q and A (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20060828a) from WotC which seems to support me here....

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-13, 05:47 PM
Adaptive Style lets you choose a new set of maneuver, and sub out expended ones for ones that you did not have before. However, you cannot refresh maneuvers using it.

Let's say your Maneuvers list consists of:
Clinging Shadow Strike
Cloak of Deception
Mighty Throw

You use all three, take a full round action for adaptive style, and change out

Clinging Shadow Strike -> Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Cloak of Deception -> Burning Blade

so your maneuver list consists of:
Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Burning Blade
Mighty Throw

Mighty Throw is still expended, but you can use Sapphire Nightmare Blade and Burning Blade.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 05:48 PM
OOC:Q: If you take the Adaptive Style feat (Tome of Battle, pg. 28), can you pick new maneuvers and/or ready all maneuvers by spending a full-round action in the middle of combat?

A: Yes, you can use Adaptive Style to pick new maneuvers in the middle of combat. Since you are picking new maneuvers, they would all be readied. This is a clear advantage for a class such as the swordsage, who normally has to spend a full round action to recover a single maneuver, and would be a great feat to pick up.

Doesn't that mean I can ready all of my maneuvers?

I'm confused now...

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-13, 05:51 PM
Readying Maneuvers is terminology from the ToB. It means that you put them in the list you are capable of using. Recovery is the term used to indicate that you regain maneuvers that were expended.

All it is saying is that Maneuvers that you sub in are ready to be used.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 06:07 PM
OOC: But here is another Q&A Customer service respones where they said that is lets you regain them too... Its in the spoilers, under feats.

Q The Adaptive Style feat in Tome of Battle allows you to change your readied maneuvers as a full round action rather than spending five minutes to do so. Does this...

A) Allow a martial adept to regain and change all of their maneuvers with a single full round action

or

B) Allow them to change the maneuver that is readied in their unexpended "slots".

A Adaptive Style will actually let you perform option A) from your list. So as a full round action, you can choose a new set of readied maneuvers, and in doing so, reset all of your maneuvers. I hope that clears things up. Have fun and good gaming![/SBLOCK]Adaptive Style [feat] - multiclass adept maneuver Recovery (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19860966/Tome_of_Battle_CustServ_Q38A_UPDATED_Aug_17)

If it doesn't work like I thought can I please switch it out far another feat? there are some things I can use much more then that if it doesn't let me regain.

ghostaxe
2009-12-13, 07:09 PM
OOC:

Hm, in light of the Q&A from Customer Services, and also my general interpretation, I will rule the following:

Whenever you take a full round action to change maneuvers, all of the *new* maneuvers that you switched to are readied/recovered for the current encounter. It does not affect maneuvers you do not swap.

So if you expend Shadow Jaunt and Cloak of Deception and Burning Blade, you can recover all 3 in 2 full rounds by switching them out and then back in. (Of course, for maximum efficiency you may want to expend the 3 new ones before switching back.)

I hope this is an acceptable compromise. If not, feel free to switch to another feat.

When all of you have finished discussing and grabbing weapons, you walk back into the training area, where Lu Bu is waiting. Seeing you all properly armed and dressed, Lu Bu nods to you and adopts a defensive stance. "The time will begin whenever you make your first move."

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard.jpg

Round 1:

DM:

Lu Bu Will Save: [roll0]

Fei Zhao casts his spell, and shouts out "Drop your weapon!" Lu Bu snorts in disgust and ignores the spell.

Liang Xiu, Tianlu Li, and Hu Kaiheng are up to move.

OOC:

No need for initiative. However, please still state movement using the grid, as that determines flanking, etc.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-13, 09:52 PM
OOC: Alright Ghost, I think I understand, and tthat'll work well enough for me.

Also, you guys go ahead and hit him, then Xiu will go in with island of blade so we all get flanking bonus, and hit him with emerald razor CoD combo. Heres hopin for a early end.

Zjackrum
2009-12-14, 12:06 AM
OOC

Holy **** a +15 Will save? Even with Iron Will and other such feats, that makes Lu Bu a - what, level 30 fighter? Just... Wow. Unless he's got really amazing magical armor. Damn cheater offering us "masterwork" weapons... I cant wait to see what his AC is.

ghostaxe
2009-12-14, 04:57 AM
OOC:

Er... Lu Bu isn't a straight fighter. He's multiclassed into 5 different classes. He's the strongest NPC in this game for a reason you know. And yes, he has good gear.

And you shouldn't be reading things tagged DM.

EDIT: Liang Xiu, you do realize Emerald Razor converts a normal attack to a Touch attack, right? It doesn't lower his touch AC at all, and the goal is to be able to hit his touch AC...

DrakeRaids
2009-12-14, 06:54 AM
OOC:

Er... Lu Bu isn't a straight fighter. He's multiclassed into 5 different classes. He's the strongest NPC in this game for a reason you know. And yes, he has good gear.

And you shouldn't be reading things tagged DM.

EDIT: Liang Xiu, you do realize Emerald Razor converts a normal attack to a Touch attack, right? It doesn't lower his touch AC at all, and the goal is to be able to hit his touch AC...

Yeah, but if I got into Cloak of Deception at the beginning of my turn it will count as a flatfooted touch attack, right?

ghostaxe
2009-12-14, 07:07 AM
OOC:

He's denied his DEX bonus when he's flat-footed, unless he has Uncanny Dodge. He would be flat-footed if he can't see invisible and you use CoD.

The Emerald Razor just makes it so that you actually do damage if you hit his touch AC, rather than his normal AC. If he is flat-footed, both his flat-footed touch AC and flat-footed AC go down. But your goal is only to touch him, which means that with him flat-footed, you only need to hit his flat-footed touch AC. So I didn't really understand the point of Emerald Razor, unless you're actually trying to damage/kill Lu Bu here.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-14, 07:11 AM
OOC:Alright, just CoD then.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-14, 10:22 PM
OOC: Psych. I talked with some wiser heads then mine, and they suggested I drop it for Shadow Blade. Edited sheet accordingly.

Edit: I don't want to push it, but can I change my base stats around a bit too now?

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 08:49 AM
Liang Xiu:

That's fine if you rebuild. Just try to keep it mostly consistent with what has happened before.

Tianlu and Hu Kaiheng:

Uh.. I think Liang Xiu is waiting for the both of you to make your attacks..

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-15, 12:01 PM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai shrugged, supposing he'd be the first one to go. He pulled out the Potion of Bulls strength and drank it down quickly.

"Well, let's see what happens."

Kai unsheathed his Greatsword. He trusted it more then any of the Weapons in Lu Bu's armory. He just shrugged, and charged at Lu Bu, covering the ground between them swiftly.

I don't know which number I am, but Kai charges at Lu Bu.

[roll0] To hit. Not rolling anything else, cause it doesn't matter, right?

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 12:30 PM
OOC:

Kai is #1, Tianlu is #2, Liang Xiu is #3, and Fei Zhao is #4. These will be your permanent numbers for all map-based encounters, so please remember it!

Lu Bu contorts his body a little, and your attack fails to connect with anything solid.

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard%20r1.jpg

Tianlu is up to go.

(Initiative order is Fei Zhao > Hu Kaiheng > Tianlu > Liang Xiu, by your characters' requests/delays.)

Steilos
2009-12-15, 01:42 PM
Chen Zhi
OOC: Somehow, somehow I did not spot this thread. Somehow, by all that is unholy, I did not see this. Ah well. Rectified now.

Chen, having not done much at all, now began to think about what had happened over the last few days, more specifically asking around for information on several who had interested him during his travels.

DM:
How many Gather Info Checks could I have made in the time since the thread started?

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 02:48 PM
Chen Zhi:

It's still the first full game day after you get to Luoyang. It's 4pm currently, and assuming Chen Zhi got up at 8a, that gives him enough time for 3 Gather Info checks. They're trying to pass Lu Bu's test right now, you'll be in the inn when they finish and return there.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-15, 03:40 PM
Liang Xiu

And so it begins. Xiu stood absolutly still and entered her state of cool calm, focusing for a moment before opening her eyes. Then, suddenly, she sprang into motion, loping gracefully toward Lu Bu, and then, seeming to vanish, like an actor stepping behind a screen, one moment she was there, another, just air.

That only lasted for a moment, but a moment was enough, in the blink of an eye she was beside Lu Bu, darting under his guard and darting a thin shortsword under his guard.

Flatfooted Touch attack:[roll0]

There is no way on gods green earth he has a natural AC of 24. Its just not possible.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-15, 03:42 PM
OOC:
Oh ye of little faith.

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 04:19 PM
Round 1:

Initiative changed. It's now Fei Zhao > Hu Kaiheng > Liang Xiu > Tianlu Li.

OOC:

Please describe mechanically what you do, for future reference. I'm assuming this is Cloak of Deception + a charge attack.

Liang Xiu, as you dart in, invisible for the attack, you see that Lu Bu is indeed caught off his guard. However, a split second before your attack hits his armor, you feel an magical force deflect your weapon away.

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard%20r1b.jpg

DrakeRaids
2009-12-15, 04:20 PM
OOC: Sorry. It was CoD + base Attack of 6 + Master Craft Bonus of 1+ Flanking

Edit: Also, that frickin cheater

ghostaxe
2009-12-15, 04:47 PM
OOC:

You're in Island of Blades stances, yes?

You were very close. If only you had rolled a 19 instead of a 15, this encounter would have been over a lot sooner than I expected (since flat-footed means he not only loses DEX bonus, but also Dodge bonuses from Total Defense).

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 12:02 PM
OOC:

Commandeering Tianlu's character for this round, as he's failed to respond for a while.

Also, Liang Xiu, you forgot to include another +2 to your attack roll for being invisible.

Tianlu charges at Lu Bu with his katana.

Attack roll: [roll0] (flanking, charge)

Lu Bu manages to block the attack with his shield at the last possible moment.

OOC:

Lu Bu has the Parrying Shield feat, Shield AC contributes to Touch AC.

ghostaxe
2009-12-16, 12:10 PM
Round 2:

You observe Lu Bu deep in concentration for a split second, almost as if arguing with himself. The moment ends, and Lu Bu acrobatically steps out of your weapons' attack range.

DM:

Tumble: [roll0]

Lu Bu shouts out, "This room is a bit too cramped for a proper fight! Join me outside!"

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard%20r2.jpg

OOC:

Blue line denote Tumble movement (double cost).

It is now Fei Zhao's turn.

Woodsman
2009-12-16, 07:32 PM
OOC:
Sorry, got thrown into Hell on Monday. Getting out on Saturday. I'll post when I can.

Zjackrum
2009-12-17, 09:27 AM
Fei Zhao

OOC:

I guess it was too much to hope that he would stand there and take it like a man? Though this does prevent us from getting full attack rounds if we have to constantly chase him... Also, never got the affirmative on whether Fei found masterwork arrows or not. Assuming he did.

Eyeing the 'fleeing' Lu Bu with a comical eyebrow, Fei Zhao moves to follow. (Move 30" northwest) He lines up an arrow at Lu and takes his shot.
Fire an arrow at Lu Bu - [roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-17, 09:40 AM
OOC:

You find masterwork arrows, but I'm not sure that actually improves your attack bonus.

Other players, feel free to chip in, but I was under the impression enhancement bonuses on Bow and on arrow do not generally stack in D&D. As Masterwork is a +1 enhancement bonus, you are getting 2 of the same typed bonus.

In any case, the results don't change for this round, we just need to establish it for future purposes.

Fei Zhao's arrow is batted away by Lu Bu's shield.

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard%20r2b.jpg

It is now Hu Kaiheng's turn

DrakeRaids
2009-12-17, 12:05 PM
OOC: This doesn't count twoard our total time does it?

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-17, 12:06 PM
Hu Kaiheng

I'm pretty sure Kai still has the move to do this.

Kai sighed, and just charged at the Goliath again. It appeared that planning was gone, and the strategy had deteriorated pretty quickly.

Not suprised.

Charge to E15.

[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-17, 01:16 PM
OOC:

This counts as part of the 2 minutes. The stream and the trees count as difficult terrain.

Kai, you rush forward and strike at the mighty warrior, but you feel your attack being deflected by an evil force.

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard%20r2c.jpg

It is now Liang Xiu's turn

ghostaxe
2009-12-17, 01:21 PM
Liang Xiu:

You are pretty far from Lu Bu (#3 on the map). You need to move to get to him, and consequently cannot full attack. Hu Kaiheng is in your way, so you cannot charge. As he is more than 30 feet away, you will probably need to double move so you can attack next round. Position yourself with your 60 feet of movement. Note that Lu Bu is not attacking you, so you can travel through his threatened squares without being slowed.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-17, 01:37 PM
OOC: Xiu double moves to 14-D. I'll fluff this post later

Liang Xiu

With a a curse Xiu dashed after the Lu Bu. This, was most certainly NOT going how she had hoped. She would have had him there if it wasn't for those infernal enchantments! She would have. And know look at him, running like a child! She wouldn't have it. It would be her to land a blow on this warrior, and nothing was going to stop her.

ghostaxe
2009-12-17, 01:41 PM
http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard%20r2d.jpg

It is now Tianlu's turn.

Steilos
2009-12-17, 06:49 PM
Chen begins to ask around for those that knew anything about the lords that concerned him the most.
DM:
Two shots at Dong Zhuo:
[roll0]
[roll1]
And one for Liu Bei:
[roll2]

Zjackrum
2009-12-18, 08:30 AM
Fei Zhao (When it is his turn, to save time)

OOC:

Re-read the section on masterwork stuff. You're right, it doesn't stack with any enhancement bonus of the weapon firing it, so Fei is shooting at 1d20+8. I have a sneaky suspicion I'll be wasting a lot of arrows, as I think I'll need 20s to hit.

"Hmm... Crafty one. Though I suppose it was too much to hope for that he would stand still."
Fei chases off to the west, dodging around enemy and allies to try and get to a more advantagous position.

Double-move to E12.

ghostaxe
2009-12-18, 08:36 AM
Chen Zhi:

Look up Dong Zhuo's info on page 1 as appropriate for your checks.

You recall vaguely that there is a half-elf named Liu Bei who claims to possess royal blood. Liu Bei has fought against the Green Bandanas as part of a volunteer force previously. He is an outspoken man who is intent on restoring the Han to its former glory.

Woodsman
2009-12-18, 11:16 PM
Tianlu

Tianlu adopts a stance of steel, and gracefully moves to attack Lu Bu. His katana flashes toward the goliath as he throws himself into the blow.

40 ft. movement can get me into F14, correct?
Attack: [roll0]
Steely Strike expended

Edit: Bah, add two. I forgot the flanking bonus.

ghostaxe
2009-12-19, 09:37 AM
DM:

[roll0]

Tianlu, you take advantage of Lu Bu's temporarily weakened defenses from movement and powerfully strike at Luoyang's chief of police. Your blow to his leg was remarkably accurate... and would have hit had Lu Bu not at the very last instant parried your blade with his own spear.

Martial Lore DC 11

Wall of Blades

Round 3:

Lu Bu takes a 5-foot step south and re-adopts his defensive stance. Fei Zhao moves to E12, readying himself for the next round of combat.

DM:

(Lu Bu's maneuver not recovered, since his immediate action removes his swift action for this round).

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard%20r3.jpg

It is now Hu Kaiheng's turn

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-19, 01:20 PM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai leapt backward quickly, before charging back into Lu Bu again without hesitation.

One of us must get luck eventually...

[roll0] DC 10 Jump check.
[roll1] to hit.

ghostaxe
2009-12-20, 10:18 AM
Hu Kaiheng fails to leap back far enough for a full charge, and his attack misses (map unchanged).

It is now Liang Xiu's turn.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-20, 01:28 PM
Liang Xiu

Where finesse failed, Xiu was prepared to fall back on sheer, unadulterated, ferocity. Without missing a step the warrior moved forward and unleashed a dazzling series of strikes from the shortsword, trusting at least one would get in.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Not bothering with attack bonuses,as only 20s matter anyway.

ghostaxe
2009-12-20, 01:35 PM
OOC:

It's good to include your attack bonuses. In case you haven't noticed yet, Lu Bu uses a variety of strategies. On some turns, his AC is notably higher than on others. This past round 2, for example, his AC was much lower because he moved and didn't have Total Defense on.

However, I think your attacks all miss, with your high roll of 15.

The three attacks all miss Lu Bu. It is now Tianlu's turn.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-20, 02:17 PM
OOC:Really? Frick, I should have used my daily recovery, pulled back CoD and did another flat footed attack....

Zjackrum
2009-12-21, 02:59 PM
Fei Zhao (when it's his turn)

Fei will move to F11 and fire an arrow at Lu Bu.
[roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-22, 12:00 PM
Tianlu slashes at Lu Bu, [roll0], but Lu Bu manages to dodge out of the way again.

Round 4:

Lu Bu executes a quick flourish of his spear, and you see him concentrating to recover maneuvers.

Fei Zhao shoots an arrow, but misses.

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~dzhang/DnD/Map%201-1%20Lu%20Bu%20courtyard%20r4.jpg

It is now Hu Kaiheng, Liang Xiu, and Tianlu's turn (eh.. in the interest of trying to speed things up, just take your turns in any order).

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-22, 02:52 PM
Hu Kaiheng

Kai stops his frantic charging, laying out a blow quickly, and then focusing on recovering his energy.

[roll0]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-23, 04:40 PM
Liang Xiu

Xiu,falling back on standard attacks this time, unleashes another flurry of strikes from her blades.

[roll]1d20[/rolll]
[roll]1d20[/rolll]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-23, 04:41 PM
OOC:
Frick. I bet one of those would have been 20 too!

[roll0]
[roll1]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-26, 01:57 PM
OOC: You leave us Ghost? Or dis just a holiday thing?

Woodsman
2009-12-26, 10:42 PM
OOC:
I'm guessing it's just the holidays. He hasn't been on since around two hours after his last post.

ghostaxe
2009-12-27, 02:49 PM
OOC:

Hi guys. Sorry, been in my parent's house in Kansas for Christmas, and didn't get too much internet time. It'll still be spotty until about January 2nd, but I'll try to update when I can.

DM:

[roll0]

Tianlu attacks and misses.

Round 5:

Lu Bu adopts a defensive stance. Positions are unchanged from previous map.

Please take your turns in any order.

DrakeRaids
2009-12-27, 09:32 PM
OOC: Two more normal attacks.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Alright, how wants to just make all of our roll now instead of doing this for 15 more turns?

Steilos
2009-12-28, 09:55 AM
Chen heads back to the inn. About as fruitful as you could expect, really. Lords did not stay lords by revealing all their secrets. After getting inside, he notices that the others have left. Where could they have possibly gone?

Chen decides to try something a little different, as he doubts he has time to go asking about where they went. He searches the inn for anything they may have left behind.

DM:
Search: [roll0]

ghostaxe
2009-12-28, 12:14 PM
OOC:

Rolling all of the rest of the round of your attacks sounds like a good idea. (In retrospect, this puzzle worked a lot better on tabletop than as a PbP puzzle.) Generally, let me know if you're just attacking with flanking bonuses, or if you are positioning yourself for charging, or if you use techniques (like Cloak of Deception). Clearly list each round's actions.

Chen Zhi:

You find some bits of string and quite a few empty booze bottles. One of the inn workers tells you he overheard Hu Kaiheng wanting Fei Zhao to help them to do something. They'll probably return to the inn before nightfall, so you can explore the city or just wait for them.

Zjackrum
2009-12-31, 01:02 PM
Fei Zhao

OOC

I don't think the +2 bonus from flanking would be worth it, so as long as Lu isn't trying to run away, Fei will continuously shoot arrows at him.

Shooting arrows at Lu Bu until my fingers break, or the time is up, or someone comes up with a better idea - 1d20+8 for the next 20 rounds:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

DrakeRaids
2009-12-31, 02:11 PM
Xiu's next 20 turns, here we go.

Luck be a Lady....

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

Tackyhillbillu
2009-12-31, 04:06 PM
[roll0] Jump (Sudden Leap) [roll1] to hit (if charging+flanking +16, without either +12
[roll2] to hit
[roll3] Jump [roll4] to hit
[roll5] to hit
[roll6] Jump [roll7] to hit
[roll8] to hit
[roll9] Jump [roll10] to hit
[roll11] to hit
[roll12] jump [roll13] to hit
[roll14] to hit
[roll15] to hit
[roll16] Jump [roll17] to hit
[roll18] to hit
[roll19] Jump [roll20] to hit
[roll21] to hit
[roll22] Jump [roll23] to hit
[roll24] to hit
[roll25] jump [roll26] to hit
[roll27] to hit
[roll28] jump [roll29] to hit
[roll30] to hit

A pattern of sudden leaps backward, +charges, then a blow to refresh manevuers.

Zjackrum
2010-01-02, 02:03 PM
OOC

I do believe I see a natural 20 in there! Go team!

Woodsman
2010-01-02, 04:13 PM
OOC:
Several, actually.

ghostaxe
2010-01-04, 10:48 AM
OOC:

Ok, I see a natural 20 on round 4+7 and 4+16 from Hu Kaiheng. I think you actually more rolls than you need to, since you've already used 4 rounds. Liang Xiu actually gets two attacks per round because of dual wielding--I'll worry about her extra rolls after resolving Hu Kaiheng's step rolls:

Step rolls:
Round 4+7: [roll0]
Round 4+16: [roll1]

Lu Bu uses Wall of Blades to try to counter if each of those hits, which will lower his AC for the next round to 31 from 37:

Round 4+7: [roll2]
Round 4+16: [roll3]

Lu Bu attempts to parry the Hu Kaiheng's blow on round 11, but Hu Kaiheng's blow winded through the goliath's defenses and hits Lu Bu's full plate. (Lu Bu does not appear to be damaged, however.)

Lu Bu nods at you as he puts away his spear. "Well done. I had a feeling that you would be the one to finally pass. Come with me to the stables. We will ride to the outskirts of town, for the walls of Luoyang have many ears."

When you arrive at Lu Bu's stables, Lu Bu orders his servants to fetch you each a nice horse. You each are given use of a heavy warhorse. Lu Bu's mount, however, is an awesome beast 10 feet tall and about 12 feet long. It is flaming red, like Lu Bu's armor, and the beast considers each of you in turn with intelligent eyes.

As the four of you ride out of town, you see Lu Bu's mount barely making a trot as your horses struggle to keep up in full gallops. After riding for 20 minutes or so, Lu Bu suddenly makes a right turn away from the main roads and into a wooded area. You ride for another 10 minutes or so before reaching a clearing, where Lu Bu dismounts.

ghostaxe
2010-01-04, 11:06 AM
Lu Bu waits and checks his surroundings for a good minute or so before speaking to you. "You carry yourselves with competence, and I have a task I need your help on. I’m not sure how much you’ve heard on the streets about myself, Dong Zhuo, and Diao Chan, but the truth is this: Diao Chan and I met at the Spring Festival, and the two of us fell in love with each other at first sight. I had her that night, and swore to her that I’d marry her. I intended to carry through on the promise, but my adoptive father Dong Zhuo saw her the next morning before I could speak to him, and made her his concubine. Diao Chan’s heart yearns for me, and mine for her, but the situation is very volatile. I do not wish to make enemies of Dong Zhuo, and I do not wish to forsake Diao Chan.

“Hence, you guys. You are new to town, and have not been seen to be closely associated with me. Diao Chan’s lowly status as Dong Zhuo’s concubine means that she will have few, if any, personal bodyguards. Your mission: Retrieve her from Dong Zhuo’s mansion, and bring her to me. I will ensure that she will not be found by Dong Zhuo again, and I'm guessing he will forget about the whole incident before too long. She is but a wench to Dong Zhuo, but a true love to me.

“I will give you some equipment for the task, as well as 5000gp in expenses. Be careful though; my adoptive father’s guards are VERY skilled at detecting intruders. When you successfully deliver Dicana to me, I will award you each an additional 4000gp.

“I don’t need to remind you that if you do happen to be caught, you are not to say you are associated me with at all. If you do betray me, your deaths will be much more painful than any that you may have witnessed.”

Lu Bu reaches into his pack and draws out 5000 gp, roughly 2/3 in state-writ currency and the remainder in gold dumplings. Additionally, he hands you 2 Scrolls of Dimension Door, 4 potions of Invisibility, 4 potions of Spider Climb, and 2 Oils of Silence.

"Do you have any questions for me?"

Tackyhillbillu
2010-01-04, 02:10 PM
Kai had smiled faintly when he finally struck home, cracking the Goliaths Defenses, even if the blow wouldn't have hurt him. However, he could definitely say that after the experience that Lu Bu was the mightiest Warrior he had ever fought against. He nodded at the Goliath's acknowledgement. However, as Lu Bu spoke of what was needed, Kai's face became faintly puzzled. He had no idea what it was Lu Bu intended to ask them to do, but if his home wasn't safe, Kai had wonder what would be.

...the Soldiers can protect Master Gongsun.

Kai had adeptly ridden behind Lu Bu. His own Warhorse was no slouch, but he could tell Lu Bu's were of the highest quality, not even counting the Massive Red Lu Bu rode. Kai had never seen that horses equal. Worries about the Gongsun's, and such thoughts kept him busy while he rode, following the Goliath. When Lu Bu stopped, Kai dismounted as well, curious as to what the request would be. However, when Lu Bu laid out what his plan was Kai couldn't speak for a moment.

That is why he couldn't speak of it in the City. He can't protect his mansion, because there is nothing to protect against. He wishes to against his Lord, even if it is in this matter.

Kai was left with a hard choice. He needed Lord Lu Bu's help. He had failed to track down Mayor Gongsun's murderer. He needed aid, and Lu Bu could provide it. But doing so would mean becoming a criminal himself. He wished he knew more of Dong Zhuo, and Lu Bu. The affairs of the Nobles had never been his concern before. But if he did this, he would be taken a running leap full into them.

"Can I speak to my companions for a moment, aside?"

Kai's voice was respectful, as he made his request.

Figure out if this should even be done.

Zjackrum
2010-01-05, 02:21 PM
Fei Zhao

OOC

We'll advoid the physical problems of a dwarf riding a heavy warhorse.

The dwarf scratches at his beard, as though deep in thought. He glances about at the others in turn, and cracks a slight smile.
"Lu Bu didn't specifically say we could not use lethal force, although I think we can safely imply it. I'll hazard the somewhat obvious guess that I'm the sneakiest one of all of us, and even then, I'm not sure if my own abilities are up to the task. I suspect the guards will be somewhat more skilled than the ones guarding the imperial prison."
He mopes for a moment.
"I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if we use enough invisibility potions and have clerics or mages enchant small stones with magical silence, that may be our best option for entering the area."
He shrugs, glancing at the others.
"Just throwing ideas on the table."

DrakeRaids
2010-01-05, 03:47 PM
Liang Xiu

Xiu sighed and explained what she knew of the problems between Lu Bu and his adoptive father, before frowning as she tried to think of a way around this particular dilemma.

"There are numerous ways to infiltrate the mansion, we just have to be creative. No. No that won't be hard part. Getting your concubine out will." Xiu sighed as she began to go through some mental gymnastics on that particular point, she was not exactly excited at the prospect of rescuing a some spread legged whore, but she had an obligation.

Xiu sighed, and this was all assuming the whore felt the same way about Bu. This all assumed she would leave, willingly.

"I might be useful if it comes down to merely stealth, I have some expertise in that area as well. But I don't want to harm any of the guards, they're just doing their job, I have no enmity toward them. Stabbing every problem till it stops moving will only bring problems later."

Considering the items they had available at the moment it seemed wise to only have three people try to retrieve the whore, she would need a set of potions as well. Fighting wouldn't help them here, though magic... Magic might. Idly she made a mental note to look up Chen. He could be of assistance int his matter.

"How much time to we have to accomplish this Lord Bu? Did you have any deadline in mind?"

To discover what the Guards wages are
Knowledge Local: [roll0]

To discover if any guards participate int he black market or are corrupt
Knowledge Local: [roll1]

Now I get 20's. I swear, somewhere up there, someone is mocking me.

DrakeRaids
2010-01-05, 03:49 PM
Improved rolls

Knowledge Local: [roll0]
Knowledge Local: [roll1]

ghostaxe
2010-01-05, 05:21 PM
Lu Bu considers Liang Xiu's question, "Well, certainly I would prefer to have my love as soon as possible, but I can wait another couple days if that's how long it'll take you to lay plans. Here, how about this? I will give you an extra special reward if you bring her to me tonight. But beware that if in your haste you fail, I will not be there to bail you out.. I have to keep my peace with Dong Zhuo, you understand."

Liang Xiu, you recall that standard military pay is about 120 gold per year. Gongsun Zan, after his promotion, was to nominally receive 4000 gold per year, but that amount certainly doesn't include any bribes or gifts that the mayor took. Dong Zhuo probably pays significantly better than the military, so probably around 300 gold per year per guard. This, of course, only refers to the standard guards watching over his manor, and not any elite retainers that Dong Zhuo may have guarding his vaults.

Of Dong Zhuo's guards, most of them tend to shy away from taking bribes, because Dong Zhuo has made terrible examples of guards with split loyalties before. A good number of them shop the black markets for various goods though, and Dong Zhuo does not seem to mind that.

Steilos
2010-01-07, 08:35 AM
Chen sat in the inn and sighed. Typical of the youths of today. Running around, no forethought, no planning... While he was out gathering information, they had all ran off to do who only knows what. Then again, they were short on money... Perhaps that had something to do with it. Perhaps they had gone to do a job around the city somewhere. With a heavy mind, he trudges out of the inn in his usual scholar's outfit with wand and scrolls hidden, and begins looking for the Archives. He has a lot of addresses to look up.

Zjackrum
2010-01-11, 09:59 AM
Fei Zhao

The dwarf raises a single eyebrow, eyeing the other members of the group and wondering if anyone had any good ideas.