View Full Version : J'ai besoin d'aide avec le français! [Help with Frunch!]

Anonanimal
2009-12-05, 06:35 PM
No, I didn't misspell French in the title. I call French "Frunch" so it's less intimidating to work on it.

I'm in the middle of a worksheet and have forgotten the word for housework/chores. I know that "doing the housework," or at least the term I'm supposed to use for "doing the housework" is meant to be structured similar to "faire les devoirs," or "faire les vaiselles," by which I mean that it has to use the verb faire, and the noun is plural. Because of these qualifications, I am almost certain that the word is not "ménages."

Raistlin1040
2009-12-05, 06:38 PM
I'm actually fairly sure it's faire le menage, with an accent mark on the first e in menage, of course. Straightening the house up, if that's more what you mean, is ranger la maison.

Edit: Of course, my book has been known to lie on occasion.

Sneak
2009-12-05, 06:42 PM
Yep, it's faire le ménage (http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/chores). And I don't even speak French. :smalltongue:

WordReference is extremely reliable, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Anonanimal
2009-12-05, 11:33 PM
Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think faire was involved with menage. I guess I just didn't see it in wordreference's definition. Ah, well.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-05, 11:38 PM
Avez-vous besoin de quelquechose d'autre?

zeratul
2009-12-05, 11:39 PM
If I remember correctly the generic "to work" verb is "travailler"

Anonanimal
2009-12-06, 12:21 AM
@Seraph: Non, je n'ai pas besoin non plus d'aide, mais merci pour l'offre!

Amiel
2009-12-06, 12:25 AM
A generic French phrase "to do the work" is faire le travail, or "to carry out the work of the house" is pour effectuer le travail de maison
But I admit my French is rather rusty.

thorgrim29
2009-12-06, 04:47 PM
Chores translates to corvées
Housework translates to Tâches/Corvées ménagères

And doing the dishes is : Laver la vaiselle, because vaiselle is always singular and feminin