PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian help needed 3.5

AzureDistress
2009-12-05, 09:12 PM
I am in need of a striker type that focusing on maximum damage. I thought that a Gnoll barbarian would be best, but that is up in the air still. I would like to focus on two handed weapons and perhaps a theme to go with it.

Is their any advice for making barbarians purely around damage without it being too overpowered? Feats maybe? Prcs?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-05, 09:16 PM
Power Attack, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper. Feats from PHB, CWar, CAdv, IIRC. Wield a 2-handed weapon and charge a lot.

Use the Spirit Lion Totem ACF from CChamp to get Pounce, letting you full-attack on a charge.

Pluto
2009-12-05, 10:26 PM
Your AC isn't going to be pretty.

For defense, grab a reach weapon and Combat Reflexes. If you're lucky, you'll kill your enemies before they can land a hit. Even if you're not, you'll have a 1-hit head start in wearing down their HP.

Robilar's Gambit (PHB2) basically means free attacks when you get it: your AC's going to be a lost cause and your HP pool's big enough to take an extra couple damage. Also, you probably hit harder than the other guy.

Unearthed Arcana's Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) Rage variant produces better damage output than standard Rage.

I like to pick up the Extra Rage feat from Compete Warrior, but its use will vary between games.

There are quite a few feats that you'll want at some point in your career. That can make Fighter a very appealing multiclass option. Another option, one I prefer, is Feat Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue).

If you use the Whirling Frenzy variant, you'll probably want to check out the Resolute Fighter ACF in Complete Champion. As an immediate action, it lets you shift half your Base Attack to your Will save for a turn, usable any number of times per day.

AzureDistress
2009-12-07, 05:06 PM
ok thank you for your help.

I talked with a friend of mine, and he said that he personally found that his favourate character he has ever played was a barbarian that focused on staying in a rage and using a +X Exploding Flaming Burst Adamantine Greatsword. He also mentioned a prc that let a barbarian light on fire. Does anyone know about this prc? I plan on playing this character with his advice.

Starbuck_II
2009-12-07, 05:11 PM
Blazing Berserker feat makes you immune to fire. Not sure how to light yourself on fire though.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-07, 05:36 PM
There's a Barb variant in PHBII that makes you Rage whenever your HP drops below a certain point rather than when you want to, without duration or uses/day. Getting it constant requires a Con of 9(or lower) and some way of losing an additional 7 HP, without multiclassing.

There's also a PrC that turns you into a bear, but i've never heard of one that lights you on fire.

Mongoose87
2009-12-07, 05:43 PM
Robilar's Gambit (PHB2) basically means free attacks when you get it: your AC's going to be a lost cause and your HP pool's big enough to take an extra couple damage. Also, you probably hit harder than the other guy.

IIRC, Robilar's Gambit give AoO's when they attack, not hit you. Karmic Strike is on hits.

Starbuck_II
2009-12-07, 06:03 PM
There is a psionic Prc that lights your weapons on fire:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm

Elemental Warrior Prc: Level 2 (1/class level, for 1 minute) has you engulfed in fire (anyone attacking you in mele takes 1d6 fire). Lv 3 gives you flaming effect on any weapon (+2d6 fire).

An adaptation of Frostrager into fire instead of Cold will work. But that is a Monk/Barb Prc.

HCL
2009-12-07, 06:38 PM
No one has mentioned this, but why the gnoll? You don't want those racial hit dice. If you are going for stupid, stick with the Orc. Otherwise Dwarves (Deep Dwarf from monster manual for high saving throws or Fireblood Dwarf from Dragon magic if you want to have a tail) and Humans are better.

What books are available? Are flaws available?

AzureDistress
2009-12-07, 06:41 PM
true, you are right. I just loved playing a gnoll barbarian in 4e so I never thought it would be bad in 3.5 >.<

all books are avalable besides incarnum, Tome of Magic (besides binders), or Dragon magizines. Flaws are allowed too, but only 2

I'm working on a fire frostrager, give me a sec

Wings of Peace
2009-12-07, 06:59 PM
The Valorous weapon enhancement from Unapproachable East doubles your damage when Charging.

AzureDistress
2009-12-07, 07:27 PM
here is my reflavour of the frostrager, focusing on two-handed weapons instead. tell e what you think, and also an idea for the special that I should put in
Flamerager

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a frostrager, a character must fulfill
all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +6.
Skills: Intimidate 4 ranks, Survival 4 ranks.
Feats: Burning Berserker, Cleave,
Power Attack.
Special: Rage as a class ability.
Special: ????

Class features:
Save Special Features
1 +1 +2 +0 +0 FlameRage, Cauterizing Blood
2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Round-about Swing
3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Absorb Heat
4 +4 +4 +1 +1 Improved Flame Rage
5 +5 +4 +1 +1 Rend

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Flameragers gain no
proficiency with any weapon, armor, or shields.

Flamerage (Su): While raging, a 1st level Flamerager grows larger
and more massive, and his body is immensed in flames, coating his body in a glittering red flame. The Flamerager’s actual size category does not change
(nor does his space/reach), but when an enemy touches him or attacks him with a natural weapon or a weapon with no reach the attacker takes 2d6 fire damage on contact. In addition, a frostrager’s wielded weapon deals
damage one size category larger than normal and an additional 1d4 Fire damage.

Cauterizing Blood (Su): At 1st level, a flamerager’s blood
becomes burning hot. His wounds instantly cauterize and
stop bleeding; he is immune to attacks that cause wounding
effects. If reduced to negative hit points, he automatically
stabilizes. He still takes 1 point of damage if he takes any
actions while at 0 or negative hit points, however.

Round-about Swing (Ex): At 2nd level, while making
a two-handed attack, the flamerager may make one extra attack
in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but each attack
made in that round (the extra one and the normal ones)
take a –2 penalty.

Improved Flamerage (Su): At 4th level while raging,
the flamerager’s damage to attacking enemy contact increases to 4d6 Fire damage. His
weapon attacks are considered two weapon categories larger (rather then one) and also now deal 1d6 points of Fire damage on a successful hit.

Rend: At 5th level, a flamerager gains the ability to
rend a target. In any round that the flamerager hits the same
foe with two or more attacks, he immediately
deals an additional 2d6 points of damage (plus 1-1/2 times
his Strength bonus), plus an additional 1d6 points of Fire
damage.

Doc Roc
2009-12-07, 07:27 PM
All books are open?
There's a feat called imperious command.
Another called intimidating rage.
Another called instantaneous rage.

Take these.

Together, they mean that when you hulk out, one enemy dehulks, sits down, and cries. You can look them up in the consolidated lists here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats). These are a huge help in general, but the feat one is incredibly comprehensive, and very useful. After all, it's by wizards. :)

For race, you may enjoy the Goliath, from races of stone. They're like happy, friendly, civilized gnolls who took a level in bad-ass.