PDA

View Full Version : The Oots Movie!!!

fireinthehole
2009-12-06, 05:05 AM
This thread is all about OOTS! And trying to get The Giant and king of comics himself Rich Burlew to make a movie of it!!!

If you share my passion for oots and dream of it becoming a movie please talk about your favorite oots comic(s) and support the idea!!! :smallsmile:

Elm11
2009-12-06, 05:17 AM
Whilst i think the idea of an oots movie would be cool, it wouldn't fit the way oots has been drawn/has played out. Aside from that, the giant is already very busy creating the comic, and is in rather poor health.

Seeing as he is already being so kind to us in providing us with oots for free and the brilliant forums we inhabit, it would be rude to pressure him and expect him to make a movie, which would consume vast amounts of time, effort and possibly money.

It's not that i don't like the idea, but it seems unfeasable and a bit... unfriendly. (for lack of a better word, something like, unhelpful to the giant, and expecting him to do more for us than he already does)

Escef
2009-12-06, 05:31 AM
I seriously object to the idea. I do not feel OotS's charm could survive the transition to animation. And live action would be abhorrent.

loopy
2009-12-06, 06:00 AM
And also, posting this thread in both the Friendly Banter and Media Discussion forums is against forum rules, I believe.

Welcome to the boards though, nice to see a new enthusiastic face. :smallsmile:

SilverSheriff
2009-12-06, 08:15 AM
All I have to say is: "No"

Gamerlord
2009-12-06, 08:20 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

For one:
Stupid executives will mess it up.

For two:
WOTC will sue him.

For three:
Nobody will watch it.

For four:
It will be bad.

DO NOT MAKE ME LINK TV TROPES.

SilverSheriff
2009-12-06, 08:44 AM
Please don't, because if I start reading TvTropes now I'll only stop sometime near lunch tomorrow (12 hours)....

Gamerlord
2009-12-06, 09:21 AM
THEN NOBODY SAY ANYTHING REMOTELY POSITIVE ABOUT THE IDEA!

*opens a new tab to that website, just in case*

Perenelle
2009-12-06, 09:30 AM
It wouldnt really work. The way the comics are drawn would look terrible when put into animation. The movie producers would leave things out, mess things up, and making the comics into a movie would ruin it. Recently a lot of books are being made into movies and they end up as terrible depictions of what really happened. I would hate to see that happen to OOTS.

Second of all, The Giant has been kind enough to give us the comics for free online and a wonderful forum. He's probably very busy and I doubt he's have time, nor want to spend money, on a movie that is likely to mess up the comics. Plus I doubt many people would see it.
Overall, please no.

Starscream
2009-12-06, 10:10 AM
I'm not going to say it's an automatically horrible idea, but there are too many obstacles to deal with. The art style looks great on a computer monitor and in a book, but is probably too stylized for a movie. 80 foot high stick figures would give the audience headaches.

The 4th wall breaks would be awkward. All the gags would have to be changed from "We are in a webcomic" to "We are in a movie".

The D&D jokes would never hit with a mainstream audience. Producers will want those out, and there goes half the material from the earlier strips. And they will probably try to replace them with copious pop-culture references that are out of date. "We think Roy should say 'You go girl' to Haley. Who should be played by Megan Fox. And can Belkar say something about Letting the Dogs Out?"

Only one thing could save this project: Pixar doing it. And I only say that because they are incapable of making a bad film.

Oh, and because someone had to link to "The internets most addictive drug", Adaptation Decay! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdaptationDecay)

AshDesert
2009-12-06, 11:28 AM
Nice to see an enthusiastic new face, welcome to the forums. However, this discussion properly belongs in the OOTS Subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22) more than Friendly Banter.

Also, I don't think an OOTS movie would be that good, mostly because only Pixar could do it right, and Pixar won't put their money into such a small-scale movie (which this would inevitably be). Simply put, webcomics are simply not a popular enough form of media to attract a big name production house, and only a big name production house would have the capabilities to do OOTS justice IMO.

Gamerlord
2009-12-06, 12:24 PM
IS SOMEBODY SAYING SOMETHING REMOTELY GOOD ABOUT THE IDEA?

EAT TV TROPES!

DODGE THIS! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExecutiveMeddling)

AND SOME OF THIS! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Disneyfication)

C-C-COMBO!!!! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bowdlerise)

THE FINISHING MOVE! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViewersAreMorons)

IT IS A CRIT!

WANT SOME MORE?

fireinthehole
2009-12-06, 03:27 PM
sorry rich burwely if i have insaulted u i did not mean to and i appoligies if i have offended u :smalleek:
love oots
and i do agree with every one that has posted that it just wouldnt work come to think of it.

Gamerlord
2009-12-06, 04:05 PM
sorry richburlew if i have insulted u I did not mean to and I apoligize if I have offended you :smalleek:
love oots
and i do agree with every one that has posted that it just wouldnt work come to think of it.
Fixed most of your spelling. :smalltongue:

Winthur
2009-12-07, 01:47 AM
Good idea as long as Charlie Sheen gets to play Hinjo.

And Chuck Norris for O-Chul.

fireinthehole
2009-12-07, 02:46 AM
I dislike Chuck Norris!!! :smallannoyed:

But thanks for being the first positive poster for my idea :smallbiggrin:, but i do still agree with the other posters aswell.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-07, 03:02 AM
Fixed most of your spelling. :smalltongue:Gawrsh. If you're going to be a grammar/spelling na- err, nitpicker, at least be correct about it. For the record, it's "apologize". :smallcool:

Also, your TvTropes post was wholly unwarranted. At the time you got trigger-happy yelled at everyone without provocation or need posted it, not one poster had voiced support for the film idea. :smallsigh:

@fireinthehole - You will soon find that chatspeak and failure to proofread your posts don't go over as well here as it might other places on the internet. No one expects perfection, but the effort is appreciated. Also, welcome to the Playground. :smallcool:

Killer Angel
2009-12-07, 03:12 AM
Good idea as long as Charlie Sheen gets to play Hinjo.

And Chuck Norris for O-Chul.

Relevant link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121533) to the argument. :smallwink:

Vorpalbob
2009-12-07, 03:38 AM
A good idea (sort of). the animation would be a bit painful, but could be made up for with good voice actors (morgan freeman for Roy;s dad; Mike Myers for Elan/Nale; Thog would sound funny with Tom Hanks' Forrest Gump voice)

*cues flaming to begin*

Zar Peter
2009-12-07, 07:05 AM
Gawrsh. If you're going to be a grammar/spelling na- err, nitpicker, at least be correct about it. For the record, it's "apologize". :smallcool:

Also, your TvTropes post was wholly unwarranted. At the time you got trigger-happy yelled at everyone without provocation or need posted it, not one poster had voiced support for the film idea. :smallsigh:

@fireinthehole - You will soon find that chatspeak and failure to proofread your posts don't go over as well here as it might other places on the internet. No one expects perfection, but the effort is appreciated. Also, welcome to the Playground. :smallcool:

On the other hand... I enjoyed the links :smallbiggrin: