PDA

View Full Version : Mage the Ascension: 2099

Anung Un Rama
2009-12-06, 12:13 PM
I'm working on creating a setting for old Mage set in 2099 where the Technocracy have succeeded in incorporating many of their more fantastical procedures and technologies into static reality, allowing for a cyberpunk feel to the game where the traditions have all but retreated to the deep umbra. I have some rough ideas but was hoping for some input/criticism from someone else in order to refine the idea.

Let me be clear; I dont want this to be Shadowrun. I want it to be what would actually happen if someone fast forwarded the old Mage setting 99 years where the Technocrats have without a doubt won the ascension war.

If anyone has any cool ideas that would help the setting please say, also if there are any blatant problems, tell me so i can try and deal with them. One last thing-I am choosing to ignore the Mage novels and the various 'events' that happened in the metaplot (no spirit nukes, avatar storm etc.)

Zeta Kai
2009-12-06, 01:13 PM
It seemed to me that M:tA was pretty clear on two points:

1) The Technocracy had already won, & won hard. The age of the magical paradigm had long since ended.

2) The whole world was going to end soon, one way or another. It may be a natural end, or a supernatural one, but the Final Nights were upon us.

Moving everything forward 100 years would involve a radical shift in the much of the plot & tone of the oWoD. Just sayin'.

lightningcat
2009-12-06, 07:05 PM
I liked the avatar storm idea. It was one more way that helped the idea that the black hats were winning. So, if you follow that, the avatar storm was an instant punishment for violating the laws of nature by crossing into/out of the umbra.

Other then that, increase the paradox gained by non-technocracy mages. Or maybe just for the old traditional mages (hermetics and the such).
Maybe, replaces some of the old tradions with the modern replacements.

Sorry but to tired for more ideas for right now, but I'll keep thinking about it for you.

Anung Un Rama
2009-12-07, 11:58 AM
I didnt like the avatar storm chiefly because it restricted travel to the umbra, which I always thought was one of the best parts of the setting.

If anything, I'm tempted to set it almost entirely in the umbra, as the traditions have been forced to retreat there, leading to disputes between them over what little quintessence there is to be found, and Earth is somewhere only the bravest or stupidest Mages go.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-08, 01:31 AM
If anything, I'm tempted to set it almost entirely in the umbra, as the traditions have been forced to retreat there, leading to disputes between them over what little quintessence there is to be found, and Earth is somewhere only the bravest or stupidest Mages go.

That's an interesting reversal of fortune for the poor mages. I could get behind that concept, if it presented well (like most of the oWoD M:tA stuff was).

Anung Un Rama
2009-12-08, 04:12 PM
That's an interesting reversal of fortune for the poor mages. I could get behind that concept, if it presented well (like most of the oWoD M:tA stuff was).

Please do; I'm good at thinking up vague ideas but fall down on the details. If you have any ideas on how to make it not suck, then throw 'em in there.

Anung Un Rama
2009-12-09, 02:35 PM
But also, I was thinking the technocracy has also undergone some internal divisions, so that although still unified in the goal of destroying the traditions, they've split up along the lines of the conventions and each one makes up its own megacorp, adding a more cyberpunk feel to earth.

onera
2009-12-10, 06:30 AM
hey

good luck with making your setting
will be hard to get the fine details correct

if you need in spiration for something for your setting
you can read the hyperion saga.

i'm reading the 4th book and last book at the moment, but i think you can get inspiration from reading it, the future technologie and the AI is different from any other i have seen,and very realistic in the saga.

maybe it wil help you,
good luck