PDA

View Full Version : [Character Review] 4e Bard

nepphi
2009-12-06, 01:29 PM
I've got a 4e game coming up and I was wondering if I could get some advice on the character I decided to put together. The theme is vikings! I haven't had a chance to really test out the awesome that is the 4e Bard, so that's the primary class I'm going for. Since the bard is basically designed for powerful multiclassing, and since the viking mythos is very tied up in the activities of the gods, I decided to go with a Paladin multiclass for this fellow.

I'll be linking my character sheet from the Tangled Web. If you still want to help but can't review the sheet from that site for some reason, just let me know and I'll do what I can!

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=32521

As for the type of critique I'm looking for, I'm most amenable to comments on feat selection, weapons choices, ability score adjustment, and power selection. I also would like advice on how to continue developing the character further, as he gains in hideous power.

I'm not quite as eager for suggestions of major concept shifts. If your advice consists of "don't go bard," I don't want to hear it. That said, I am willing to consider alternatives to the paladin aspect if you can make a good case for it, mechanically or concept wise.

The concept in short is a wandering sage and religious sudent, eager to find this age's next great group of heroes, and chronicle their journeys. He does this out of a love for the sagas and history of his people, as well as a religious devotion to the concepts of the gods and ragnarok - he believes mortals can or should have a place in contesting with the great darkness that is coming, and he seeks to find ways to do so.

In a more meta principle, I'm obviously going for a combination of leader and controller, as fits the bard's design. The paladin's addition does less for the control aspect, but still functions in a support role by weakening the enemy's defenses. Skill monkey was also an obvious result of my selections, since it means our party will always have SOME option in skill challenges as they arise.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Behold_the_Void
2009-12-06, 01:31 PM
What's the rest of the party looking like? As I recall a number of Bard abilities work better with some roles than others.

nepphi
2009-12-06, 02:17 PM
No clue, I'm the only person who has a character complete, and I haven't been with the group to discuss party roles.

Mando Knight
2009-12-06, 02:46 PM
Make sure your DM approves of taking Supernal as one of your starting languages, since you actually can't by RAW.

nepphi
2009-12-06, 02:55 PM
Aha, I had missed that. I'll keep it in mind and ask.

cupkeyk
2009-12-06, 10:46 PM
I'll give the same advice as I do any other bard aspirant(or artificer, lolz). Get Weapon Proficiency Drow Longknife and Arcane Implement Proficiency(heavy blade) to access the melee, ranged and implement powers without being dependent on three weapons. Alternatively, you can do this with a dagger (arcane implement(dagger or light blade) instead), losing some dpr. Most people think Vicious Mockery and Guiding Strike are the two best at wills but for me its Cutting Words and Guiding Strike.

Dyllan
2009-12-06, 10:59 PM
I'll give the same advice as I do any other bard aspirant(or artificer, lolz). Get Weapon Proficiency Drow Longknife and Arcane Implement Proficiency(heavy blade) to access the melee, ranged and implement powers without being dependent on three weapons. Alternatively, you can do this with a dagger (arcane implement(dagger or light blade) instead), losing some dpr. Most people think Vicious Mockery and Guiding Strike are the two best at wills but for me its Cutting Words and Guiding Strike.

Or, do it with a dagger and just pick up a Songblade - that doesn't require any feats. It also opens you up to some of the ranged weapon powers without having to swap weapons. My bard uses Rhyme of the Blood Seeking Blade quite often. Who cares if I'm doing 1d4 damage, the real purpose is to let my ally's daily that would have missed now hit.

cupkeyk
2009-12-06, 11:05 PM
That's true. But then the weapon enhancements are better, like cunning or frost.

nepphi
2009-12-06, 11:32 PM
I don't know if he'll let me go with drow weapons, given as this is a norse setting. Paladin is stretching it enough. But I'll keep it in mind!