PDA

View Full Version : good maneuvers to pick for a crusader

Brendan
2009-12-06, 02:53 PM
I am playing a lizardfolk monk 3 who is multiclassing permanantly to crusader. I need to pick the maneuvers for first level and onward. I intend to primarily use white raven, as I am trying to someday regain control of the lizardfolk nation, and being able to command would be good. I have:
18 str
17 con
11 dex
13 int
11 wis
15 cha
and fight with a quarterstaff, due to a homebrewed rule we have.
I plan to go for clarion commander asap.
anyways, what stances and maneuvers should i take?

Mongoose87
2009-12-06, 03:03 PM
White Raven Tactics is made of win.

Grumman
2009-12-06, 03:08 PM
Martial Spirit is a good way of being popular with your allies, handing out healing every time you hit.

Ladorak
2009-12-06, 03:13 PM
Well those levels of Monk aren't really going to help, but that's not what you asked.

Well, you're level 6 going into Crusader so you'll be Initiating Maneuvers at level 4, meaning you can skip most of the level 1 Maneuvers. Foehammer and mountain hammer add 2d6 damage (Which is nice) but more importantly they ignore DR, so they actually scale reasonable at higher levels. Tactical Strike is a must have, Battle Leader's Charge is quite situational but occusionally you'll thank your lucky stars you have it. The Stance will depend on your party, either Bolstering Voice (Swapped out at higher level) or Iron guard's gaze are probably the best two.

Looking at advancement you'll definatly want White Raven Tactics (Lv 3), Thicket of Blades (Lv 3) if you find some way to get reach, or combine with Mageslayer to really screw with casters.

It might be an idea to take a couple levels in Warblade first, so you start off with Lv 3 Crusader Maneuvers right off the bat, plus you can get your hands on Moment of Perfect mind, Action before thought (Both gold) and with an Novice Iron Heart Vest (only 3000gp) you can get access to Iron Heart Surge, which is pure liquid awesome even if you don't abuse it.

Brendan
2009-12-06, 03:46 PM
I was thinking something like:
at first level, my five are: tactical strike, douse the flames, battle leader's charge, mountain hammer, crusader's strike.

at the end: war master's charge, strike o' rightous vitality, greater divine surge, ancient mountain hammer, rallying strike, radiant charge, flanking maneuver, divine surge, entangling blade, white raven tactics, revitalyzing strike, adamantine bones, castigating strike, douse the flames. stances: leading the charge, tactics of the wolf, press the advantage, and immortal fortitude. I may take a feat to gain aura of chaos.
would these go well together, and do I have the wrong amount of maneuvers for each level?

Oh, and the monk levels were a bad idea, I know, but it's already done. I may however be able to get my DM to let me get rid of my earlier feat, martial weapon prof. (greataxe) in exchange for some first level iron heart maneuver, letting me get the vest. After all, do crusaders get MWP automatically.

Noodles2375
2009-12-06, 07:15 PM
You could also consider asking your DM to use the rules from PHB2 for re-training. This seems like a really good example of a time to use that. Especially since you're 3 levels below the rest of your party, I wouldn't be too worried about your manuvers + stats outshining them.