PDA

View Full Version : Dual wielding Frenzied Deserker

Boci
2009-12-06, 03:39 PM
Context: New player really likes the idea of dual wielding two handed weapons. Ultimately he wants to be fighter 8 and multiclass as a barbarian, so for a class progression I thought he could go Fighter 4 / Barbarian 2 / Frenzied Berserker 10 / Fighter 4.

So, the dual wielding aspect: I was thinking of modifying the frenzied berserker to accommodate that. The feats required would become: power attack, cleave, two-weapon fighting and oversized two-weapon fighting, the other parts remain the same.
At level 4, instead of heightened power attack they gain the ability to wield a two handed weapon in one hand and a one handed weapon in their offhand. They gain 1.5 their strength mod with the two handed weapon but power attack for +1/-1 with both hands.
At level 10, instead of the heightened power attack, they gain the ability to wield a two handed weapon in each hand, adding 1.5 their strength modifier to each attack, and power attacking for +2/-1 with their main hand, and +1/-1 with their offhand.

The other party members consist of a tier two artificer and cleric, and a standard ranger and paladin, so what’s the general opinion about this power wise? My DM wants to hear other's views before he okays it.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-06, 04:10 PM
Less Fighter, more Dervish? You're dual-wielding anyways.

Boci
2009-12-06, 04:15 PM
Less Fighter, more Dervish? You're dual-wielding anyways.

Possible, I'll talk to him about it. He likes the idea of feats, but I did explain to him that a bucket load of feats are only useful is you have some combo you're building towards.

Grumman
2009-12-06, 04:27 PM
I would not permit the use of Frenzied Berserker if I was DMing. It doesn't play well with others.

Cavestalker 4 lets you wield spiked chains as one-handed weapons, would that be suitable? Maybe use it with scorpion chains from Races of Eberron, if you want Dervish as well?

The Glyphstone
2009-12-06, 04:29 PM
More that Fighter doesn't actually give you anything besides feats. Dervish actually gives class features that help dual-wielding...though now that I think of it, Dervish would only be good if he wants to fight with Scimitars and eventually Great Scimitars (which isn't that bad a tactical option in itself). Otherwise, Bloodclaw Master might be a better choice.

Faleldir
2009-12-06, 04:35 PM
Couldn't you just remove the requirements for Revenant Blade instead?

Boci
2009-12-06, 04:35 PM
I would not permit the use of Frenzied Berserker if I was DMing. It doesn't play well with others.

I'm sure as a party we can figure something out. Could boost his will save like crazy to make sure he can meet the DC: 20 to stop raging or I could craft a wand of summon monster I and use grease to keep him busy whilst the rage wears off.

Cavestalker 4 lets you wield spiked chains as one-handed weapons, would that be suitable?

More obscure source book and harder to meet the requirements but I will consider it.

Couldn't you just remove the requirements for Revenant Blade instead?

Source?

More that Fighter doesn't actually give you anything besides feats. Dervish actually gives class features that help dual-wielding...though now that I think of it, Dervish would only be good if he wants to fight with Scimitars and eventually Great Scimitars (which isn't that bad a tactical option in itself). Otherwise, Bloodclaw Master might be a better choice.

If we're going to use ToB, he may as well just reroll as a warblade. I did present that option, but we started out with core only + ebberon campeign setting and it seems the DM only wants use non-core gradually.

AslanCross
2009-12-06, 04:47 PM
Without ToB, you could just use Fighter for a few levels to accelerate feat acquisition, but after that, he should take the rest in Dervish.

I honestly find the idea of a fast-moving Frezerker who can full attack AND move at his speed quite terrifying for the party, but if it floats his boat...

The Glyphstone
2009-12-06, 05:17 PM
Without ToB, you could just use Fighter for a few levels to accelerate feat acquisition, but after that, he should take the rest in Dervish.

I honestly find the idea of a fast-moving Frezerker who can full attack AND move at his speed quite terrifying for the party, but if it floats his boat...

However, that same Frezerker dual-wielding Great Scimitars is a pretty darn cool mental image.

From a safe distance.

Boci
2009-12-06, 05:18 PM

I'll see what he thinks of the dervish.

Should be fun.

Wings of Peace
2009-12-06, 05:54 PM
Context: New player really likes the idea of dual wielding two handed weapons. Ultimately he wants to be fighter 8 and multiclass as a barbarian, so for a class progression I thought he could go Fighter 4 / Barbarian 2 / Frenzied Berserker 10 / Fighter 4.

NEEDS MOAR LION TOTEM

Boci
2009-12-06, 06:02 PM
NEEDS MOAR LION TOTEM

Not too sure I want to break that out just yet, but I will raise the possibility.

Boci
2009-12-06, 09:12 PM
Just to be clear, no one thinks this version will be too powerful?