PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Druid riding a Wolf [3.5]

Dyllan
2009-12-06, 09:32 PM
Okay, we're starting up a new campaign, 3.5 with core only for players (PHB, DMG, MM). Naturally, the DM can use whatever he wants.

I was thinking of playing a Gnome Druid with a Wolf animal companion that he uses as a mount. Are there rules for riding a non-standard mount like that (and if so, where are they)? As an animal companion, would he be treated as a trained mount? Would that count as a "trick"?

Just want to have my ducks in a row before I ask my DM if that's okay. Also, I'm planning to ask if I can play as a Forest Gnome... seems much better thematically than the standard PHB Gnome, and the mechanical differences are minor.

Assassin89
2009-12-06, 09:44 PM
I think you might take a -5 penalty if the mount is ill suited for riding (PHB under ride skill), but if trained, it might become suitable for riding.

Also an animal companion can be trained, considering that it gets bonus tricks.

HCL
2009-12-06, 09:53 PM
Make it a riding dog and name it "Wolf". Really, its a better choice.

UglyPanda
2009-12-06, 09:54 PM
If I remember correctly, all you have to do is spend a bunch of the companion's tricks on Combat Riding and have the proper saddle. If you don't have a proper saddle, riding bareback gives a -5.

Ormur
2009-12-06, 09:54 PM
Exotic saddle should take care of it.

sonofzeal
2009-12-06, 10:14 PM
Wolves are fine. The example for "unsuitable" is something like an Ogre, I think, or a Dire Bat. Anything quadrupedal and a size category bigger than you is probably alright.

Dyllan
2009-12-06, 10:39 PM
Make it a riding dog and name it "Wolf". Really, its a better choice.

I had never really compared the riding dog to the wolf, but you're right, it's a much better choice. I get +2 natural armor, better skill bonuses, +2 damage per hit, and it's clearly intended for riding. And when I hit level 3 I can give it weapon focus (bite), so it'll have a higher attack bonus than the wolf as well (wolf already has that feat, dog doesn't start with it). The only drawback is that a wolf moves 10' faster per round. But, I don't think that's such a big deal - 40' is already plenty.

Thanks

Thurbane
2009-12-06, 10:43 PM
The Forest Gnome can communicate on a very basic level with forest animals - if the DM wants to be a stickler, the Wolf has an environment of forests, while the dog has an environment of plains.

Dyllan
2009-12-06, 10:50 PM
Alright, another question then.

I'm looking at the Riding Dog's skills:

We have these skills and ability scores:
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1*

After subtracting bonuses we have
Jump 2 (+4 racial, +2 Str), Listen 2 (+2 Alertness feat, +1 Wis), Spot 2 (+2 Alertness feat, +1 Wis), Swim 1 (+2 Str).

I count 7 skill points. But a Riding Dog is a 2 HD animal with a 2 Intelligence. Shouldn't he have only 5 skill points? What am I missing?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-06, 11:57 PM
The one thing that a Wolf has that a Riding Dog doesn't is the trip attack. Fortunately, get the Dog trained for war and you get that back, and it gets armor proficiency.

Fhaolan
2009-12-07, 12:26 AM
Alright, another question then.

I'm looking at the Riding Dog's skills:

We have these skills and ability scores:
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1*

After subtracting bonuses we have
Jump 2 (+4 racial, +2 Str), Listen 2 (+2 Alertness feat, +1 Wis), Spot 2 (+2 Alertness feat, +1 Wis), Swim 1 (+2 Str).

I count 7 skill points. But a Riding Dog is a 2 HD animal with a 2 Intelligence. Shouldn't he have only 5 skill points? What am I missing?

A lot of the animal skill point selections are off by a few points in either direction as most of the 3.5 entries are copies of the 3.0 entries where the skill points for animals were calculated quite differently. Sometimes a few adjustments were made, but they rarely add up right.

Dyllan
2009-12-07, 06:52 AM
Guess I'll have to talk over with my DM whether I just use the skills as listed, or repurchase with appropriate skill points. Dogs are supposed to have really good hearing - maybe we should just treat them as having a racial +2 to listen... then the numbers work out.

Dyllan
2009-12-07, 06:54 AM
The one thing that a Wolf has that a Riding Dog doesn't is the trip attack. Fortunately, get the Dog trained for war and you get that back, and it gets armor proficiency.

Armor Proficiency. I hadn't even considered that... I could put my dog in some kind of leather barding... and eventually upgrade to mythril breastplate barding. This keeps getting better. :-)

Weimann
2009-12-07, 07:03 AM
Also, note that it's quite possible to buy the Riding Dog, equip it according to it's stats and abilities, and thereafter declare it a Riding Wolf because you damn well say so (at least with your DMs consent). That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Volkov
2009-12-07, 07:13 AM
I counter your Gnome druid on a wolf with my Black Scale Lizard Folk Druid on a Tyrannosaurus Rex. :P

AdalKar
2009-12-07, 08:18 AM
Also, the riding dog also can have the trip special attack that a wolf has.
In it's combat entry is statet: "If trained for war, these animals can make trip attacks just as wolves do (see the Wolf entry)."
So with a riding dog, you just have a better wolf as companion, that you can ride, it fights like a wolf but just better and you can walk around with it in a city without people looking madly at you because you ride on a wolf :smalltongue:

Snails
2009-12-07, 12:37 PM
The only drawback is that a wolf moves 10' faster per round. But, I don't think that's such a big deal - 40' is already plenty.

You might be surprised how often that extra 10' will help, when it comes to getting the flank without provoking an AoO.

Besides, the Wolf is simply cooler.

Snails
2009-12-07, 12:42 PM
...and you can walk around with it in a city without people looking madly at you because you ride on a wolf :smalltongue:

You make it sound like such would be a bad thing. Folk really do not mess with someone who keeps the company of an armored wolf.

The War Dog and Wolf are really equivalent. The Dog favors more straightforward tactics. The Wolf opens up fancier footwork.

Thalnawr
2009-12-07, 01:24 PM
Doesn't the wolf get the size adjustment to Large when it gains hit dice? I'm sorta doing the same thing in a campaign, and it seems it would.

Fhaolan
2009-12-07, 02:18 PM
So with a riding dog, you just have a better wolf as companion, that you can ride, it fights like a wolf but just better and you can walk around with it in a city without people looking madly at you because you ride on a wolf :smalltongue:

Honestly though, a lot of people will have a mental filter that says 'If it's roaming wild it's a wolf, if it's being ridden/leashed/etc. it's a dog. Maybe a funny-looking dog, but still.'

I've had people look at pictures of a hyena on a leash and say 'that's an odd-looking dog'. If they can't tell that apart from a dog, there's little hope that they'd peg a wolf. :smallbiggrin:

erikun
2009-12-07, 02:33 PM
I counter your Gnome druid on a wolf with my Black Scale Lizard Folk Druid on a Tyrannosaurus Rex. :P
I counter your Lizardfolk Druid with my Gnome Druid riding a Fox bearing a Dire Harness. Run around mounted all day, but are free to go back to small size and hide when needed.

Captain: "Did you see a gnome riding a giant red dog? Anything suspicious?"
Patrol: "No, sir! Just the usual forest animals today. I would've remembered something like that!" :smallbiggrin:

John Campbell
2009-12-07, 03:23 PM
Doesn't the wolf get the size adjustment to Large when it gains hit dice? I'm sorta doing the same thing in a campaign, and it seems it would.

It's not entirely clear whether animal companion hit dice count for size advancement or not. The animal companion rules neither say explicitly that they do - as they do for skills and feats - nor that the regular size advancement rules don't apply. The usual interpretation is that they don't.

But if you want a Large wolf, you can just eat the level adjustment and get a dire wolf. The stats end up being very nearly the same.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-07, 05:23 PM
Honestly though, a lot of people will have a mental filter that says 'If it's roaming wild it's a wolf, if it's being ridden/leashed/etc. it's a dog. Maybe a funny-looking dog, but still.'

I've had people look at pictures of a hyena on a leash and say 'that's an odd-looking dog'. If they can't tell that apart from a dog, there's little hope that they'd peg a wolf. :smallbiggrin:Could you PM me that pic? The sheer idea of a hyena on a leash is making my mind boggle.

Snails
2009-12-07, 06:37 PM
But if you want a Large wolf, you can just eat the level adjustment and get a dire wolf. The stats end up being very nearly the same.

Actually, the Dire animals have three good saves. So, in the long run, you will want to upgrade to a Dire Wolf (and for narrative purposes say that your animal grew bigger) or other Dire animal.

In the long run, the Dog's weak Will save can be a problem.

Paul H
2009-12-07, 11:40 PM
Hi

I play a number of Druids in both 3.5 & Pathfinder - always meant to go Gnome (or Halfling) Beast rider route. (Pathfinder Society - 'Living Campaign' started off as 3.5 core only until PF was released in August this year).

Just remember IIRC your mount is NOT trained for war as such, but can trip. Just buy Master Crafted Std Lthr Barding for 200Gp and there's no Armour Check penalty to its attacks. Anyway, your Mtd Combat feat will help with it's AC.
(Yes there is the War Trained template in MM2, but the GM would be wise to only allow it on your first companion - it takes quite a while to train animals).

Remember to but the master crafted saddle for bonus to your Riding Skill. (Riding Dogs also grant bonus).

I prefer to go Toughness, then one of Wpn Focus, Pwr Attack or Wpn Finesse (if high dex) for its early feats.

Lastly, no, animal companions don't grow in size as they 'aquire' HD. After all, if it suddenly doesn't become your animal companion, it loses it's 'bonus' HD. What size it it then?

Cheers
Paul H
(Curently running PF Druids lvls 2 & 4, D&D 3.5 lvls 2 & 7)