PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Endless

Tanaric
2009-12-06, 09:41 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a fairly spacious room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, two torches are already lit, one hanging by each of the doors presumably leading out of the room.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_
1||||||||
2||||||||
3||||||||
4|||E|||||
5||||||||
6||||||||[/table]

There is a door at G-3, and another at F-6.

DM notes:3, 4, 16

Aldgar
2009-12-07, 02:07 AM
Character sheet (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=32178), for easy reference.

Endless activates his invocation See the Unseen. This grants him Darkvision 60' and See Invisiblility for 24 hours.

Should he fail to activate it because of arcane spell failure chance, he will try again until he succeeds(I won't bother rolling that).

He then touch-attacks the doors with his hands, using stone power on each attack to gain 2 Temporary HP each time that soak up the damage he might receive from any traps.

1d20+5 vs AC 5

Aldgar
2009-12-07, 02:11 AM
Huh. So...how does rolling work again?

1d20+5
1d20+5

Tanaric
2009-12-07, 09:02 PM
You have the format correct in the first attempt of your second post. You can't edit them in or preview the post with them, however.

Aldgar
2009-12-08, 11:15 AM
Let's try this again...
Touch attacks vs AC 5.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Tanaric
2009-12-08, 07:31 PM
Interesting method. You manage to touch the door without much trouble, unsurprisingly. You get a minor shock in return as you trigger a web of concealed copper wires carrying a current of some sort (unintentional alliteration, heh), but your temporary hitpoints soak it up easily.

The previously hidden wires are now visible as thin black streaks on the door, which they've charred quite thoroughly.

Aldgar
2009-12-09, 01:17 AM
Regarding Endless' equipment and encumbrance:
He puts most of it in a sack, closes the sack, ties a simple sling with his silk rope around the sack and fastens it(so it stays closed, and can be pulled easily). He then ties the other end of the rope around his waist, allowing himself to drag the sack behind him without needing any hands to do so.
If necessary, he will take 20 on use rope to do this(tying the knot and such)

Endless now opens the door at G-3, and proceeds through it, checking for traps with his 10'-pole.
He will continue ahead, bypassing any tripwires he finds(lifting/throwing his sack of equipment/loot if necessary), ignoring any triggered traps that do not harm him, until he reaches a door. Should he come to a crossroad or a place where he is presented a choice of several different paths, assume he will always choose the left path.

Should he eventually reach a door or encounter an opponent, he will open the door after poking it with the 10' pole. (or simply roll for initiative).

Equipment in the sack(which doesn't add to his carrying capacity or encumbrance):
*Grappling hook
*100ft silk rope(tied around waist/sack)
*Trail rations for 2 days
*2 full waterskins
*4 reserve sacks
*10 pieces of chalk
*small steel mirror
*bell
*bottle

The bell, mirror, bottle and grappling hook are all happily clanking against each other while being dragged over the ground, so you can safely say that Endless will automatically fail any move-silently situations. You can -if you want to- have all listen checks to detect him automatically succeed.

Please make all reactive rolls(like spot/listen, saving throws, grapple checks and even initiative).

I'll stick to rolling attack/damage, and whatever else I may think off(perhaps some selective skillchecks/ability checks, if the situation calls for it).

Tanaric
2009-12-09, 01:20 AM
Well that certainly takes all the fun out of trying to confuse you with twisty passages. :smalltongue:

Update coming later.

Aldgar
2009-12-10, 12:53 AM
*Poke* I'm still awaiting said update.

Tanaric
2009-12-10, 12:56 AM
*nod*

I'm aware. I don't have access to any of my maps or notes at the moment though, so I'm restricted to updating only a few threads that I can remember until I get them back.

Tomorrow, most likely.

Aldgar
2009-12-10, 01:19 AM
Oh, thanks. I feared that you had somehow overlooked this thread.

Tanaric
2009-12-10, 12:19 PM
Opening the door reveals a hall running to the north and south. To the north, it runs for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west. To the south, it runs for twenty feet before turning east, or else splits east after ten feet.

There are two doors that you can see. One fifteen feet to the north on the east side of the hall, the other twenty feet to the south, on the south face of the bend.

Does that change anything in your plans, or do you want to proceed as stated?

Aldgar
2009-12-11, 12:58 AM
Endless shall proceed as stated.

Tanaric
2009-12-12, 01:34 PM
You find a tripwire five feet north of the door you just left.

You don't find any traps on the door.

Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||R|R|
4|||R|R|
5|||H||
6|||||
7|||||[/table]

There is a door at A-3, which you are standing just outside of, another at D-1 on the north side, and a third at D-7, on the south side. There is a humanoid figure at C-5, wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword. He is standing next to what seems to be a large reptile with bright green scales and a forked tongue that flickers in and out of its gaping maw.

I don't have all the sheets on hand, so I don't know what your initiative modifier is offhand.

Aldgar
2009-12-13, 09:04 AM
My character sheet is linked in my first post in this thread.

Endless' initiative modifier is +1.

Initiative:
[roll0]

Assuming Endless wins initiative, he will take a 5'-step to A-3 and use a full-round action to breathe a maximized entangling fire breath in the shape of a 15' cone, hitting both enemies for 3 damage, reflex DC 16 half. Those taking damage are entangled and take 6 damage for 4 turns.

If he loses initiative, he will try to hit both enemies with a maximized entangling breath(choosing whatever breath shape is appropriate). If this is impossible, I'll post a different course of action after reading what the enemies do.

Tanaric
2009-12-14, 04:11 PM
You automatically lose initiative even if they roll a 1.

The reptile moves into the doorway, and the man moves to the southeast corner.

I believe this means you want to do something else, so your turn.

Aldgar
2009-12-15, 02:54 AM
Okay...let's see if I read the map correctly. If Endless is standing just outside the doorway at A3, then he is one square west of A3. I call this square X.

The reptile, being a large creature and thus occupying four squares, "moves in the doorway". Therefore, I guess the reptile is standing either at (A3,A4,B3,B4) OR at (A2,A3,B2,B3). The man with the chainshirt/longsword is at D7.

Now, Endless' actions:

1)Assuming the reptile is at (A3,A4,B3,B4) AND Endless can move one square NORTH from his current position with a 5'-step(from one square west of A3 to one one square west of A2), then he should be able to breathe a maximized entangling 30' line of fire that hits A4, B5, C6 and D7. If the situation is as described, and allows for such actions, Endless will do so.

2)Assuming the reptile is not at (A3,A4,B3,B4) and/or Endless isn't able to move north, then he will breathe a maximized entangling 5'-line of acid at the reptile, using his Dragonborn breath weapon.

Combat details:

Endless (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=32178)
HP 17/17 (and Steely Resolve 5)
AC 17 [Flatfooted 16] (Touch 11)
Saves: Fort +8, Reflex +1, Will +2

Breath Weapon damage:
In case of 1): 3 fire damage, Reflex DC 16 half to both the reptile and chainshirt guy. If they take any damage, they are entangled for 4 rounds and take 6 fire damage per turn(at the end of Endless' turns)(no save).

In case of 2): 4 acid damage, Reflex DC 16 half to the reptile. If it takes any damage, it is entangled for 4 rounds and takes 6 acid damage per turn(and the end of Endless' turns)(no save).

Breath weapon recharge time[in case of 2)]:
[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-12-16, 02:45 PM
Situation 1 is correct.

Reflex: [roll0]

Your breath weapon passes through the reptile, and a moment later the illusory creature winks out of existence. The slightly burned and entangled man takes a few stumbling steps to B-4, and a wave of rainbow colors shoots out of a hand thrust in your direction, flooding out into the hallway.

Will save.

Aldgar
2009-12-17, 03:04 AM
Just a reminder:

Please make all reactive rolls(like spot/listen, saving throws, grapple checks and even initiative).

I'll stick to rolling attack/damage, and whatever else I may think off(perhaps some selective skillchecks/ability checks, if the situation calls for it).

In this situation, I'll roll the will save to save time.

Will save:
[roll0]

Aldgar
2009-12-17, 03:27 AM
I forgot to roll for the maneuvers granted at the start of combat.

1 Charging Minotaur
2 Crusader's strike
3 Douse the Flames
4 Leading the Attack
5 Stone Bones

2 maneuvers granted at start of combat
[roll0]
[roll1]

Maneuver granted at end of turn 1(breathnuke)
[roll2]

Maneuver granted at end of turn 2(this turn)
[roll3]

Aldgar
2009-12-17, 03:31 AM
Crusader's strike and Leading the Attack granted at start of combat, Charging Minotaur at the end of turn 1, Stone bones at the end of this turn.

Douse the Flames is still withheld.

Okay, now Endless' 2nd turn:

After resisting the spell, the dragonborn crusader takes a 5'-step towards his enemy and attacks, using the strike Leading the Attack. (the maneuver is utterly useless right now...doesn't matter).

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage!(hopefully)
[roll1]

At the end of Endless' turn, the human guy takes another 6 points of fire damage(from entangling exhalation). Remember that he's entangled and thus takes a -4 penalty to Dex, resulting in a -2 penalty to AC.

#EDIT: Despite the miss, the DoT should still murder the human spellcaster.

Tanaric
2009-12-18, 12:19 AM
Indeed. He goes down in a twitching heap of scorched flesh.

150 xp, the listed gear, along with two platinum pieces and a spell component pouch.

Aldgar
2009-12-18, 02:45 AM
Endless takes the spell component pouch and the platinum pieces. He puts the money in his backpack and the spell component pouch in his loot bag.

He then removes his scale armor and dons the chainshirt(time required: 2 minutes). He puts the scale armor and the spare longsword in his sack of loot(assuming this is possible without damaging the sack or its contents), then continues onward.

There is one change in his procedure now, though: He will poke the walls when he checks for traps in addition to the usual poking of the ground.

Furthermore, please tell me when/if he spots anything that is invisible. 'Cause he can see it.

Aldgar
2009-12-28, 02:07 AM
Bump. You mentioned something about restarting with a new map, right?