PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help with an Arcane Archer Build

Mauril Everleaf
2009-12-06, 11:18 PM
So a friend is joining my gaming group and wants to ultimately play an arcane archer. We have waived the (half-)elf requirement on the class and I think he wants to play a human. However, I'm not sure the best way to build it.

We are working with Pathfinder core almost exclusively, with things from the various Complete books being allowed in on a case by case basis.

So here is my request: Arcane Archer build playable from level 5-20 using Pathfinder core. Help?

arguskos
2009-12-06, 11:30 PM
It's looking like Wiz 2/Ftr 5/Arcane Archer 10/Wiz +3 would be alright. That's casting as a Wizard 12 at the end, with a BAB of 17. Your spells are STUPID delayed, but that happens. It'd be a decently fun build too, IMO.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-07, 12:13 AM
Does the Arcane Archer in PF no longer suck horribly?

arguskos
2009-12-07, 12:17 AM
Does the Arcane Archer in PF no longer suck horribly?
See for yourself. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/arcane-archer) Also, no, not that awful. It gets casting progression at a reasonable rate, lightens the load of magical bonuses, letting you buy things like Splitting, and still has the randomly useful special abilities. It's alright, nothing earth-shattering though.

nekomata2
2009-12-07, 12:25 AM
One thing to note is that the Arrow of Death is 20 + Cha, not 20 + casting stat.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 01:53 AM
In other words, it suggests a Sorcerer-entry in spite of Elven tendencies towards Wizardy. But yeah, the class doesn't suck THAT bad, but it still has the "Once per day"-abilities. At least Enhance Arrow and Arrow of Death are now somewhat useful. Imbue Arrow is still the real selling point of the class. I'm assuming this fellow isn't interested in a mere AA dip tho?

I suppose Ranger 1/Wizard 6/Eldritch Knight 2/Arcane Archer 10 is about the best you'll get in PF Core. Unfortunately it's losing CLs left and right and still uses Wizard, not the Sorcerer that would enable better use of Arcane Archer, but I simply cannot with good conscience suggest the Yet Another Level-slower spell progression (why the **** wasn't that fixed in PF, btw?).

So yeah, Ranger 1/Wizard (or Sorc) 6/Eldritch Knight 2/Arcane Archer 10/Eldritch Knight ->. You still get...umm...level 7-8 spells (depending on your class; CL 15) and 17 BAB or something. And you can cry when real gishes have their Time Stops and you have...yeah.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-12-07, 02:04 AM
I am pretty much the only one at the table that puts optimization near the top of the character priority list. Hence this build getting handed to me. (I've also built most of the items/artifacts/villains in this campaign.)

I had to convince our party wizard to actually take grease. He thought it was pretty useless. He wanted to spec evocation.

I was wondering if (should I go with ranger and sorcerer) I should take Eldritch Knight for the last 3 levels. For fighter/wizard, it's kind of a no brainer. For ranger/sorc is it worth it?

I was planning to have him focus on Imbue Arrow and rays (to take advantage of the very nice Dex he'll have). Suggestions on spell selection?

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 02:18 AM
Eldritch Knight, yes. Doesn't matter whether you're a Fighter/Wizard or Ranger/Sorc. Though by my math there's only 1 level after AA. And optimization is one thing, but just plain being multiple spell levels aside really cuts into your options.

For stuff to imbue, AMF is a must and you'll probably want some area damage spell (such as...Iono, Pathfinder Core doesn't really have any good ones). You could also consider Solid Fog or the like; they're as excellent with Imbue Arrow as ever. Prismatic Sphere is amusing with Imbue Arrow, but alas, the whole "level 9 spells; you have none"-thingy kinda cuts that celebration short. Reverse Gravity might be amusing.

Chrono22
2009-12-07, 02:22 AM
This is a custom base class I made using the 3.5 rules. It's a bit on the powerful side (as it is heavily based on the duskblade), but it is well in line with pathfinder classes. You can port it directly into pathfinder.
http://kingdoms-of-illuria.googlegroups.com/web/Arcane_Archer.doc?gda=0v1Z3kMAAAAWpB19bKEY-ZrG-wmf8JhOsTpHWazKipNdOcFpkngf2_hYKvg2TslCPfE8De5-NhIytiJ-HdGYYcPi_09pl8N7FWLveOaWjzbYnpnkpmxcWg

Pluto
2009-12-07, 02:30 AM
Is Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 10/Arcane Archer 4 an option?
(levels staggered to F1/W5/EK3/AA2/whatever)

17 BA and CL, Imbue Arrow, Divination ridiculousness, five bonus feats, and +1 and 1d6 Elemental to each arrow.

It misses out on some of the gimmick arrows, but brings more to the table with extra casting than straight AA gains through shooting through a wall a couple more times per day.

Spells should focus on area spells, buffs and mobility spells.
Stuff like ANTIMAGIC FIELD, Teleport, Flight, Fear, Web, Greater Invisibility, Greater Magic Weapon, Blink, etc.

Also, I find archers benefit greatly from Craft Magic Weapon (the DM may or may not make arrows available with the versatility you look for). Have the spells needed for whatever arrow enhancements you can conceive of using.
(Actually, I don't know if the PF arrow/bow enhancement-stacking thing still works... or if the crafting rules are the same.)