PDA

View Full Version : Makin' music, need help!

13_CBS
2009-12-07, 12:49 AM
I'm trying to record some music for this dealy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124102), and although I have a violin and some skill with it, I don't really know how to record music from it into something playable (say, an mp3 file). Thus, I need:

1) Some kind of recording device, presumably something similar to a microphone.
2) Software to convert the recorded audio into a convenient file.
3) Software for editing, cleaning up, and putting together multiple different audio tracks into one.

I'm on a pretty stringent budget (poor college student and everything), so I'd like to strike a balance between sound quality and cost if possible.

Edit: While I'm at it, I'd also like to know if there are any good synthesizers or software programs that will let me make music similar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAy3nlATLkk&feature=related) to (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETTk83qis0w&feature=related) these pieces (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETTk83qis0w&feature=related) in terms of sophistication and quality.

Yarram
2009-12-07, 01:20 AM
When it comes to Notation/Recording software, I'd advise you don't use freeware as it's terrible. For the actual recording program, I'd use Protools, but if you use notation I'd recommend something like Finale. Audacity I guess is ok as a free recording supplement, but I'm not a big fan.

When it comes to recording hardware I'm afraid you may have to fork out the big bux. A mike of the quality you're looking at will probably cost $100+
You'll also need some sort of mini-mixing desk to plug it into, like an M-Box. That'll also cost $100+

I'd advise, rather than trying to purchase recording gear, you ask your friends who are muso's if they have any that you can borrow, and only borrow it after you know exactly what you're going to record.

On those pieces you're interested in, they've just used a powerful notation program such as Cubasis to write a score, and just recorded what they'd written with synthesized instruments that will automatically play what's notated. Those come inbuilt into most notation programs, but the odds of the synth sounds being crap are pretty high. (Which is why I mentioned Cubasis which allows new synth plugins to be purchased/downloaded)
You may notice that all four songs have a load of things going on at once. This is because the composer is desperately trying to hide the fact that synthesized instruments just can't portray emotion in the same way a recorded instrument can.

13_CBS
2009-12-07, 01:49 AM
When it comes to recording hardware I'm afraid you may have to fork out the big bux. A mike of the quality you're looking at will probably cost $100+
You'll also need some sort of mini-mixing desk to plug it into, like an M-Box. That'll also cost $100+

Really?! Nooooo! :smallfrown: :smallannoyed:

Sadly, I have no friends with such hardware. I may have to end up splurging for said equipment, since I can barely stand synthesized music aside from fast, upbeat, and hectic stuff like the three I linked to, and I'd like for the Visual Novel to have some decent composed music. Hrm...

Yarram
2009-12-07, 05:32 AM
You could try Ebay, which would be much cheaper, but not considerably so... But the prices I'm listing are for recording equipment that isn't the very top of the line anyway. Anything less than $100 in a shop won't be a recording mike, but rather one of the crappy ones that many schools use. (Note the vocal distortion when spoken into, that becomes horrendous when you record an instrument.)

Mephibosheth
2009-12-07, 12:24 PM
Do you or any friends own a Mac computer? I've heard good things about Garage Band, the free recording software that, I'm told, comes with Macs. I have a musician friend (you can hear some of his music here (http://myspace.com/danlawonn)) who records music using only Garage Band and the mic built into his computer, and it turns out well.

Admittedly, buying an expensive microphone and complicated recording software (don't forget whatever interface you need to purchase in order to link your microphone to your computer) could get you better sound, but it doesn't seem like you need a professional recording studio for the kind of music you want to make. I also disagree with Yarram that you need to buy $100+ mics and expensive software to make good music. Sure it helps, but there's a lot you can do for free or on the cheap that will give you decent recordings and won't break your pocket book. As a poor college student/musician myself, I know how that goes.

Hope that helps.

Mephibosheth

SDF
2009-12-07, 01:40 PM
I use a Macbook Pro, Logic, and a Firepod Studio to line in all my equipment and record. All told that is about $2500. (mostly for the mac) With the right mics it is as close to professional quality as you are likely to get without going in studio.

On the cheap you can just use a digital recorder (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DR07-Handheld-Digital-Recorder?sku=580037). As cheap as you're likely to get unless you already have a lot of peripherals.

EDIT: I take it back, the most ghetto recording method I can possibly think of would be to record yourself on your cell phone. Depending on the file type it stores the recording as.

Yarram
2009-12-08, 06:47 AM
Alternatively, you could go to the dump and scavenge around for an old tape player/tapes! The sound quality would actually be better than that of a phone too...

Heheh... I have, in a box, a professional recording desk with a tape real... It's about 40 years old... I wonder if it still works.

Totally Guy
2009-12-08, 07:24 AM
Do you or any friends own a Mac computer? I've heard good things about Garage Band, the free recording software that, I'm told, comes with Macs. I have a musician friend (you can hear some of his music here (http://myspace.com/danlawonn)) who records music using only Garage Band and the mic built into his computer, and it turns out well.

I've got a friend who's doing this. He's making an album. He's not got a record label or contract or anything like that but maybe he will someday. He's trying to get a jingle of his on an advert.

Mephibosheth
2009-12-08, 08:19 AM
I just remembered another possible option. Some of the local technical collages and universities near where I live have recording classes and are occasionally in need of musicians to give their students some hands-on experience in the studio. Sometimes they let musicians from the community come in for reduced or no fee and record with the students. If there are any collages nearby that might have this sort of program, it can't hurt to call and find out...

Mephibosheth

13_CBS
2009-12-10, 12:25 AM
Hmm...there's an idea. I'm a University student at the moment, so there might be recording studios available. Thanks!

xanaphia
2009-12-13, 12:12 AM
Consider using Garage Band or Logic if you have a Mac.

If you want to just use computer-synthesised instruments, you don't need a mixing desk at all.

I have no trouble making pretty okay music in all genres just using GarageBand, a microphone, and electric guitar. You could make stuff as good as your links in GarageBand.

It helps if you know music theory if you want to compose, though. A good program can't replace that knowledge.

Also, I've never been able to get any instrument other than voice and pennywhistle to sound good recorded. You're probably better off using the software instruments.

If you ever need any help with using GarageBand, please feel free to PM me.