PDA

View Full Version : [D20 Modern] Zombie Hordes; help needed

Vorpalbob
2009-12-07, 03:17 AM
I am currently working on a D20 Modern adventure series, and at one point the characters are sent to perform zombie cleanup in a walled suburb. I am using Core rules only, the characters are 3rd level Department 7 agents.

The suburb is situated in New York state, has about 100 inhabitants, all of whom are the stereotypical gun-totin', flag wavin', red-blooded patriot type. They also completely reject any ideas about the supernatural. They believe their shambling, decompsing neighbors to have rabies.

I want to have a very large group of zombies for the characters to fight (BTW, the PCs have backup on the way; ETA 5 hours). I want them to be scared, and to need to think strategically in order to survive, but I also want to avoid TPK. I want the living suburbanites to provide some comic relief, and for the zmobies to be f-ing terrifying (the stunning actor within me can cover this front mostly, but extra help is nice).

Any pointers on how I can achieve this, using the environment or rules or whatever, would be much appreciated.

Gorilla2038
2009-12-07, 03:23 AM
As simple as it seems, lighting just helps fill in a creepy mood: throw in some candles, kill the normal lights, and itll set the stage quite fine.

Incorrect
2009-12-07, 06:33 AM
Concerning candles, I usually have about 5 lit. I will then blow them out one at a time, as the adventure gets more and more dangerous and terrifying. My most experienced players know that when only one candle is lit, they should run.
When the players reach a safezone, I will light some more of the candles.

This works quite well for me in horror campaigns.

Music is important too. I usually choose soundtracks from computergames, they tend to have no lyrics and set the mood well enough.

When a zombie attack from a closet, both the players and the characters should be shocked. Find a way to smack something or yell, when the zombie bursts through the door.

Stand up and walk around them (in the darkness of the room with only one candle lit) this way you can whisper to some of the players, or grab them from behind :smallamused:

Scarlet Tropix
2009-12-07, 10:03 AM
Concerning candles, I usually have about 5 lit. I will then blow them out one at a time, as the adventure gets more and more dangerous and terrifying. My most experienced players know that when only one candle is lit, they should run.

Music is important too. I usually choose soundtracks from computergames, they tend to have no lyrics and set the mood well enough.

When a zombie attack from a closet, both the players and the characters should be shocked. Find a way to smack something or yell, when the zombie bursts through the door.

Stand up and walk around them (in the darkness of the room with only one candle lit) this way you can whisper to some of the players, or grab them from behind :smallamused:

Absolutely gorgeously brilliant.

Vorpalbob
2009-12-07, 10:31 AM

Stand up and walk around them (in the darkness of the room with only one candle lit) this way you can whisper to some of the players, or grab them from behind

Absolutely beautiful. this is exactly what I was looking for.
The soundtrack from Iji might work (some of the songs anyway).
If you haven't played Iji, GO DOWNLOAD IT IT IS FREE AND AWESOME!