PDA

View Full Version : DMing Advice?

Koury
2009-12-07, 03:41 AM
Hello all,

So, I've been running a PbP for the first time ever. Its just my brother for now as it is purely to get used to how it runs, but I thought it couldn't hurt to come here and solicit advice from you folks as well.

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133791) to PbP game for anyone interested.

I'm not really looking for anything in particular, just general advice. Are there common pitfalls I could avoid? If you looked over that thread so far, is there anything you've noticed that could be done better?

Also, I'm fairly certian the grimlock that as just defeated should have gotten a AoO when he was attacked, but I let that slide as my brother isn't good at AoO rules and (more importiantly) hes alone and low on spells.

Thanks in advance.

Boci
2009-12-07, 03:43 AM
Either give more XP or level by mile stones, since games take longer in PbP.

Koury
2009-12-07, 03:51 AM
I'm kinda worried about keeping PCs in correct WBL also. None of my players have ever complained, but I'm personally aware that I tend to under-award my players. I usually counter this by having magic items available at market price when they can be afforded and so they are happy to get what they want easily, but that doesn't change the fact that I frequently give out too little gold.

I've been toying with the idea of increasing the amount of gems they find so I can give them appropriate gp kinda on the fly. I notice they are lacking and suddenly (not suddenly to them, of course) that gem they found is appraised at 3000 gp. Something like that.

Boci
2009-12-07, 03:53 AM
I'm kinda worried about keeping PCs in correct WBL also. None of my players have ever complained, but I'm personally aware that I tend to under-award my players. I usually counter this by having magic items available at market price when they can be afforded and so they are happy to get what they want easily, but that doesn't change the fact that I frequently give out too little gold.

I've been toying with the idea of increasing the amount of gems they find so I can give them appropriate gp kinda on the fly. I notice they are lacking and suddenly (not suddenly to them, of course) that gem they found is appraised at 3000 gp. Something like that.

Another valid concern. That solution could work, but I find it better to have the people who hire them equipt them with some magical gear which is then part of the reward.