PDA

View Full Version : The Guild

BooNL
2009-12-07, 07:23 AM
The Guild

The fire crackles softly in the hearth and the heat of it fills the room. You are currently sitting in the common room of your group, on the west wing of the Guild of Adventurers. Every adventuring group has been assigned quarters, with a common room and enough dorms for each adventurer.
The room itself is small, but cosy. The wall over the fireplace is empty, you've seen various symbols and flags in other common rooms. Maybe when your group has gained some fame, you will be able to get a flag of your own.

Up until recently, you were still considered initiates of the guild. Most of your time was spent training as a team, studying various subjects and honing your own skills. Today will be your first day as a registered adventuring group. The day you are allowed to accept your first mission.

You are awaiting a visit from Alex Binglefont, personal scribe of Jor Sariton. He will instruct you on the various rules and procedures regarding quests and missions.

Sucrose
2009-12-07, 08:20 AM
Sitting against the wall, his feet toward the fireplace, is a lightly tanned, blue-eyed young man by the name of Kirja. Curiously, while he wears armor and carries a shield much like a swashbuckler of some kind, he has no readily apparent weapon. He's wearing a simple leather tunic, and breeches of the same material. A thick green cloak is wrapped around him. He is, in two words, comfortable and content.

Frog Dragon
2009-12-07, 08:55 AM
L.E.U is standing near the wall, not actually leaning, since doing such would provide no additional comfort to a warforged. The large metallic body is standing near the door, for whatever reason. He carries little equipment, having only, his belt, pouches, wands, bottles and the peculiar disc shaped amulet. He is standing rigidly still, staring at nothing.

Gossipmonger
2009-12-07, 08:56 AM
Valkoris stands leaning against the wall with his eyes closed. His golden skin glows with a gentle radiance in the firelight. One hand is closed around the holy symbol at his neck, and he is murmuring softly to himself - or perhaps to his god.
A small pile of equipment rests at his feet: backpack, pouch, shield and sword.

Sucrose
2009-12-07, 01:41 PM
Leaving the holy man to his prayers, Kirja smiles faintly and taps L.E.U.'s ankle. He waits for the warforged to look down, then waves cheerfully.

Frog Dragon
2009-12-07, 03:48 PM
"Huurmh?" L.E.U gives a baffled look at Kirja's general direction "I'll never be able to understand organics."

Sucrose
2009-12-07, 03:56 PM
Kirja shrugs the statement off.

"Looking forward to our mission?"

whoiam
2009-12-07, 05:39 PM
"I think it would be premature to be looking forward to our mission quite yet. We've yet to find out what our mission is, after all." Edana's mood was often best described as 'Serene' - she held the deep inner peace typical of those who *knew* they were the beloved of a kind and loving Deity, and had the magic to prove it.

Being in a friendly location, Edana was not wearing her Full Plate - it's really quite impractical for everyday use - but instead a bulk standard suit of leather armor. Practically useless in combat, she wore it in here mainly to remind people that she was a soldier of her Deity, not merely some pampered priestling. For much the same reason, her reserve weapon (her Bastard Sword) was with her, lying naked across her lap as she idly polished it with an old rag.

But L.E.U's comment had also drawn her attention. So a second reply was in order: "It is not such a failing to find us hard to understand. Valkoris and I make little enough sense to one another, and then the rest of them... I am not even sure that I understand myself that well."

Sucrose
2009-12-07, 06:08 PM
Kirja's smile widens slightly as the holy warrior is drawn into the conversation. A bit of color slips onto his cheeks.

"You're just as baffling to me," he murmurs.

"How do you not expect our mission to be at least as entertaining as our exercises?"

Gossipmonger
2009-12-07, 07:07 PM
Valkoris finishes his prayers and opens his eyes. "I must admit, I am eager to know what our mission is. Though... entertaining would not be the word I would use. This is somewhat more serious than our training. Today we prove our worth - our strength."

Sitting down, he starts double-checking his belongings, paying particular attention to his spell components. With a hint of a smile, he looks up at his warforged companion. "Edana has the right of it. Understanding does not come easily to anyone. I suspect life might be too boring otherwise."

Sucrose
2009-12-07, 09:33 PM
Kirja's smile widens just a bit more at Valkoris's mention of how serious everything is, and how they're now going to be proving themselves. However, rather than challenging the sobriety of the holy man, Kirja just shakes his head and leans back a bit further.

Random NPC
2009-12-08, 01:37 AM
Sharma kept sitting alone, reciting spells and arcane formulas in his mind while everybody "bonded". Not that he was too superior for small talk, but he felt no need to discuss anything further.

He had spent his time trying to build the reputation of the "no-nonsense" wizard with the group, proving himself quite useful and eloquent.

Living the long life of the elves, Sharma was no stranger to patience, so he stays there, waiting.

BooNL
2009-12-08, 04:52 AM
As you're all talking and savoring the last few moments of rest, none of you hear the light patter of feet in the hallway. Three knocks on the door alert you of a visitor and a second later Alex Binglefont walks in.

You see a brown haired gnome, with a groomed beard and well kempt hair. His clothing suggests royalty, but you've all heard rumours how he was just a charlatan in his hometown. He is carrying a large scroll in his left hand.

"Gentlemen," he addresses the room at large but lets his eyes rest on Edana. "My lady.

Let me be the first to congratulate you with your official position as adventurers of Karlsfeld. You have a bright future ahead of you, riches beyond imagination. Bards will sing tales of you in taverns across the land and little children will pretend to be you, defeating the powerful foes of our nation." Despite his cheerful tone, the gnome looks grim. You expect he has seen his share of battle as well and he looks slightly scarred by it.
"As you know, the King's army is fighting a bloody war of attrition to the north. The defense of Karlsfeld rest upon our shoulders. Without a standing army, bands of goblins, vile necromancers and dark forces try to lay claim to the Kingdom."
"Every adventurer of the guild does his part in keeping the land safe. To that end, we allow every adventuring group to accept missions and quests. The guild will provide transport and you will be awarded on succesful conclusion of your assignment.

Alex takes a small pair of reading glasses out of his breastpocket and opens the scroll, the paper was larger than his face and he has to keep both his arms extended to be able to read it clearly. He scrapes his throat.
"The following requests have been made to the guild, and they will provide excellent opportunity for you to experience true adventuring. You will be able to choose one assignment from this list, the others will be divided among the other groups. The list is as follows:
- The resident wizard of a small village has not left his tower for nearly a tenday. At night, eerie sounds can be heard. The villagers are scared and worried.
- A recent trend in garden ornaments has a local baron worried. Nobles and commoners are spending a rediculous amount of gold on these ornaments and he is afraid his barony might be bankrupt at this pace.
- A village near the Dunswoods is organizing their annual marathon through the forest. However, the woods have overgrown at an alarming rate the past months. The villagers would like our help in clearing the forest out.
- A wealthy nobleman wants to build a zoo housing various magical beasts. He is hiring multiple adventuring groups to aquire these creatures.
- A professor of the Alchemist's College is looking for subjects to test a powerful new potion. He supposedly rewards highly for little risk.

Those are the quests available to you. I will wait in the central hallway. When you have decided, please inform me."

With that, the gnome rolls up his scrolls and exits the room.

Gossipmonger
2009-12-08, 05:53 AM
"What a fascinating set of missions." Valkoris lets out a chuckle. "I am more than willing to debate the merits of each, but clearly we can do the most good investigating the wizard's tower or clearing the Dunswood."
He pauses for a second. "But we should not rush into this decision. What are all your thoughts?"

Frog Dragon
2009-12-08, 09:32 AM
L.E.U moves a little off the wall and turns toward the gnome."I agree. We should go to the wizard's tower." L.E.U states factually "However, I have no strong opinions."

whoiam
2009-12-08, 09:34 AM
"I like to think of such choices this way: What do people stand to lose if things go wrong, and how likely are they to go wrong if we do not intervene? The worst case for the Wizard's Tower is that fell beasts are released on the village in question, but I do not think that overly likely - as I am sure Sharma will attest, a tenday of magical experimentation is hardly unusual for most wizards.

Secondly, the barony and the odd ornaments. The worst case for this mission is that an entire barony is reduced to poverty, and this appears to be already in progress. Not as bad as being slaughtered, but they seem a lot closer to it than the first village is.

Thirdly, the marathon through the Dunswoods. The worst result of that is that the marathon is either cancelled or rerouted. Surely, if they cannot find the adventurers to clear the route in time, they would not be stupid enough to go ahead anyway? So, not much of a loss at all if we ignore this mission, but it's the most likely one to happen.

Then the nobleman and the alchemist, neither of which is likely to lead to anything more than a bruised ego if they are unaided. I say we should ignore those two, and pick between the first three. I, incidentally, think our efforts can be most usefully applied to the baron's concerns."

Sucrose
2009-12-08, 12:40 PM
Kirja listens quietly while all the others express their opinions, then grimaces slightly, uncomfortable with the lack of any real consensus. He thinks for a moment, then adds his own opinions.

"I...um, I support Edana. She's provided the best logic. I'm not so sure we shouldn't worry about the wizard tower, but it's either that or the barony, and another team could at least evacuate the region if it were necessary."

Gossipmonger
2009-12-08, 07:45 PM
"You present a compelling argument, Edana. However, I fear our strength would be wasted on such a mission. One of the other groups might be better suited for it... and yet..." Vakoris frowns. "I do not wish to turn away from those most in need of aid. What advice do you have for us, master mage?" He looks to Sharma expectantly.

Simba
2009-12-09, 02:45 AM
Karal

The door opens and Karal walks in, his usual confident self. His Bastardsword is in its sheath on his back, as always, and a smile is on his face: "What's up, friends? Sorry for being late, I had important matters to atend to. Finished now, of course! Is there work for us?"

Random NPC
2009-12-09, 10:33 PM
The elf crossed arms, thinking of all the possibilities. Either choice would be bearable, but the wizard story has picked his interest.

"What advice can I provide? It all depends on many different elements to the equation at hand." He put a hand over his eyes, as in deep thought and continued. "A mage can provide either a great boon or a great doom to the world. If magic is misused, this could lead to tragedy." He stopped for a second and looked around.

"The problem is indeed complex, unless insight can be provided on how strong this wizard was, we don't know the gravity of the issue. The little sounds that has the town jittery could be either simple cantrips or a powerful monster." He smiled for a flash of a second.

"Although, as a mage, I feel a personal tough towards that path. It is the only ethical thing to do; misused magic has to stop."

Also, the power that wizard may provide Sharma is invaluable....

If you guys want, I could roll you bluff and diplomacy to influence the lot of you :smalltongue:

Gossipmonger
2009-12-09, 10:44 PM
After quickly bring Karal up to speed on the situation, Valkoris explains the deadlock.
"It seems to be two for the tower, two for the barony, and I am torn between the two. It looks like your vote makes all the difference, friend."

Simba
2009-12-10, 01:08 AM
Karal

Karal thinks for a few seconds, then says: "I am for taking a look at the wizard's tower. Not a job for me, but I feel it has the chance to prevent the greatest damage."

Gossipmonger
2009-12-10, 05:36 AM
"Yes, I feel compelled to throw my vote in for the wizard's tower too. I think it is potentially the most dangerous. Don't worry Edana, if the other teams are half as good as us, they'll be able to take care of the barony."

Frog Dragon
2009-12-10, 07:16 AM
"Not only does the wizard's tower have the possibility of being a substantial threat, It may prove useful to us, as a group." L.E.U pipes in again. "An accountant might prove more useful in the barony than us."

whoiam
2009-12-10, 09:58 AM
"I was suspecting something more along the lines of curse or enchantment inspiring this particular inexplicable craze... But you are correct. The tower is potentially the worst threat, and if you wish to investigate that first, so be it."

Sucrose
2009-12-10, 10:27 AM
Kirja nods, and stands up.

"I'd be all right with it as well."

He opens the door.

"Shall we?"

Gossipmonger
2009-12-11, 12:17 AM
"If we are all agreed, then yes. Let us go inform Master Binglefont of our decision."

Simba
2009-12-11, 02:32 AM
Karal

Karal goes to pick up some stuff from his room, then joins the others on their way out. "I hope this will be good!"

whoiam
2009-12-11, 03:03 AM
Getting to her feet with the general agreement on their first target, Edana walks out the door to tell the secretary... Cutting straight across Kirja to do it, assuming he'd actually been trying to walk out and not just holding the door for someone else to do so.

"Mr Binglefont? We have decided to investigate the Wizard's Tower. What else can you tell us about this mission?" At which point she stood aside, to let him back through the doorway to address the others... or to walk into Kirja if he tries to follow her out.

Sucrose
2009-12-11, 09:07 AM
After getting general nonvocal confirmation from everyone there, Kirja had indeed just been beginning to move through when Edana cut ahead of him. He hugged the door to avoid bumping into her, then followed her out with a faint smile.

Frog Dragon
2009-12-11, 10:43 AM
"I was under the impression that blocking someone's path is generally considered rude." L.E.U states blanky as Edana cuts into Kirja's path.

Sucrose
2009-12-11, 03:26 PM
Kirja shrugs, and steps back into the room to stand beside L.E.U, and whisper a response.

"Maybe a little. It's not a big deal, though."

whoiam
2009-12-11, 03:32 PM
Edana quickly blinked at the machine's reproach. It was the last person she'd have expected to question her on etiquette. "He stopped when the door was open. He hadn't started moving again by the time I moved in front of him. It is something of a grey area in etiquette terms." Suddenly I find myself glad I had all those lessons about how to behave in civilised company. Back in my farm-girl days, I'd have doubtless replied 'Beats me'. Time to retake her seat... let the secretary give them the briefing. If they delayed much more she'd have polished her sword down to a rapier...

BooNL
2009-12-12, 06:23 AM
The adventurers make their way to the common hall. It is the entrance of the Guild and as they enter through one of the backdoors, they see the massive porticulus off the main entrance. It is richly decorated with gold and delicate woodwork.
Almost undetectable, various wards and spells have been woven into the wood itself. As the Guild has never been attacked to your knowledge, you can only venture as to the powers locked away in the gate.

You see Alex Binglefont standing near the large stairwell leading to the upper floors of the guildhall, where the training facilities, library and meeting rooms are situated.
You approach Alex and relay your choice to him. He nods, but does not look up from his scroll as he is furiously writing down notes.
After a minute he looks up, surprised. "Oh, you're still here are you?" He looks distracted, but smiles as a thought strikes him. "Oh, my apologies. This is your first assignment. Let me brief you on the ettiquete.

The guild will provide transportation to the location of your assignment. Let's see... you've chosen the wizard's tower, correct? That request came from the village of Ostlay, near the Grey Mountains. It is quite far from here, so a teleport spell will have to suffice. When you are ready, go to the library on the second floor. Behind the door on the far left is the teleportation room.

Now, agreeing to this assignment means you will do everything in your power to solve the request that was made to the guild. If the assignment proves too dangerous for you, we will send in a more experienced party.
Do note that we are not running a charity, you provice the service that was requested. Any additional assignments, costs not included or otherwise rendered services will need to be processed by our procurement department and will be billed to the requested party as usual.

When you complete your assignment, simply contact us via this stone and we will secure transportation back to the guild." He hands Edana a smooth, black stone. It is cold to the touch.

"Any further questions?"

Sucrose
2009-12-12, 10:14 AM
Kirja listens politely, then glances down at the stone that's been given to Edana.

"How do we use it to contact you? Just speak into it?"

Random NPC
2009-12-13, 03:26 PM
"Is there more information regarding the wizard, or further investigation should be done on our part?" said Sharma, cooly.

Simba
2009-12-14, 01:55 AM
Karal

Karal shrugs as he hears about the teleporter, but those who know him can see his unease. It is not that he is afrraid, but teleportation always makes him a little nervous.

BooNL
2009-12-14, 02:31 AM
The gnome looks up from his work again, slightly annoyed. "Yes, yes. Just talk to the stone, it will know when it's spoken to."
"As for the wizard. We don't have a lot of information. His name is Dunderdart, but he is not registered at the Guild of Magicians. Which means he's either a hedge wizard, self employed or something else entirely," Alex bends down again, doing his utmost best to ignore you and get on with his work. After a couple of seconds he looks back up again. "If you have any further questions, I suggest you pester the villagers about it, goodbye."

Sucrose
2009-12-14, 08:36 AM
Kirja blinks, then decides to follow the gnome's logic and just ignore him from this point further. He turns to everyone else.

"So, are all of you good to go?"

Simba
2009-12-14, 08:39 AM
Karal

"Ready when you are!"

Gossipmonger
2009-12-14, 08:55 AM
"Yes, let us not delay any longer, friends. We have a village to save, after all."

whoiam
2009-12-14, 09:39 AM
Edana

Slipping the stone into one of her pockets, Edana turned back towards their quarters. "I, at least, need to change into my full armor. I will meet the rest of you in the teleporter room by the library."

Brief pause.

"Incidentally, if one of you is willing to help me with the armor, it would speed the process considerably."

No further waiting, though. If one of the others chose to help her, they'd have to catch up with her first. Time was ticking, after all, and just as much as any of the others, Edana was impatient to be off.

Simba
2009-12-14, 09:48 AM
Karal

"I can help you if you want, I have all my things here with me already!"

If there is no protest he wollows her and helps with the armor.

BooNL
2009-12-14, 11:44 AM
When you're all suited up, you head for the teleportation room. Some of you have been to the library many times, others not so much. The library is quite grand, the walls are covered with racks, filled to the brim with books. Ancient tomes and texts recovered from archeological digs are kept in the Guild as well, it's strong magics preserving the long lost knowledge.

The transportation room is one you haven't set foot in yet. The guard posted outside has a list of adventuring groups scheduled for departure, any groups not on the list are not allowed access to the room. For the first time, you are granted access and you enter the room.
The room itself is quite small, only several feet in diameter. The room is divided in two by a small step to a raised platform. On the platform are several arcane symbols. They are not drawn by chalk or salt, like usual ritual circles, instead these symbols look solid as if inscribed into the stone floor itself.
As you enter, you notice a dwarf sitting at a desk. He is wearing a simple yellow coloured robe, which constrasts sharply with his red curly hair. He introduces himself as Brian Helmsman. "Greetings lads. You are here to be send to Ostlay, correct?" His voice is gruff, but friendly. "Excellent, if you will step into the teleportation circle please."
If you don't have any further questions, Brain will start the ritual. After a minute or so you feel your body becoming lighter, almost floating. In a blink of an eye you are in a different enviroment.
You are standing in a badly drawn summoning circle. You can see where the villagers erased marks that were presumable drawn wrong and quickly fixed it. Luckily, the transporation spell still worked.

As you take in your bearings, an elderly man hurries to your location. His bushy beard and straightened back reveal he could very well be the spokesman of this village.
"Ah, finally the Guild has send assistance. Welcome adventurers. my name is Betram, speaker of Ostlay," the man bows slightly.
"Come, follow me to the meeting room. There is much to discuss." Without waiting on any further response from you, he leads you through the building. One staircase and a room later, you are seating in a small chamber. A large table is placed in the center and several wooden chairs surround it. As you sit, a young woman serves you wine or water as Bertram talks.
"We are in desperate need of aid. Our wizard, who has protected us from the mountain's goblins for years has not left his tower for nearly a tenday now!
He has always been a bit of a loner, prefering his research to our company but this is unlike him."

Sucrose
2009-12-14, 12:38 PM
Kirja had been about to offer his aid, when Karal stepped forward. With a sigh, he just headed up to the library, taking the minutes Edana needs to go to her quarters and assemble her full plate to find a book on the Grey Mountains area. Via his Autohypnosis talent, he memorizes as much as possible, skimming from chapter to chapter, aiming to gain a general overview of the region, and the dangers therein.

After they arrived, Kirja followed along quietly, and listened to everything with the same focus he'd given to the book. He left the questioning to his companions for the moment. When the young woman offered drinks, Kirja gave her a shy smile and took the water. One thing that he hadn't been able to shake off since his time in the Iron Heart monastery was the idea that alcohol was just a toxin.

Frog Dragon
2009-12-14, 02:04 PM
"Inorganic. Physically incapable of drinking." L.E.U tells the woman if she tries to serve him beverages. L.E.U listen's for a while, then pipes in again "Goblins? The gnome did not mention of such. Is there any other information we could use?"

BooNL
2009-12-14, 02:26 PM
"The goblins try to raid us every once in a while, when their numbers are strong. They usually are not much of a threat with Dunderdart protecting us, but without him...," the man's words trail off, a look of worry can clearly be seen on his face.

"I'm afraid we do not know a lot about Dunderdart. He usually refrained from any magic when visiting the village. I have seen him conjure flame from his hands and thunder bolts from the sky when fighting the goblins though.
I don't know if that will help." Bertram looks helpless. "Please help us."

Random NPC
2009-12-14, 03:50 PM
After packing things up, Sharma headed towards the teleportation chamber and analyzed it quickly while he was on it. An instant later he was transported to the destined location. He decided to stay quiet the whole time.

----
After some time of listening intently, Sharma tries to analyze the information given by the speaker.

The fire spell could be anything, but the lightning spell may be of druid origin. Either way, evocation spells seem his specialty, however it would be too quick to say anything. Evocation spells are good when dealing with simple and numerous threats. They posses little information...

"Has your wizard left any arcane mark, ritual or other piece of tangible information? A scroll? Anything?" He finally says. "We need this information to know who we are dealing with. If we know about your wizard we might be able to give you a better service."

Sharma then clears his throat. "I'm sorry, my name is Sharma. A wizard. The arcane is my specialty." He says in the most polite manner and lowers his head, giving the speaker a slight nod.

BooNL
2009-12-14, 05:09 PM
"I am sorry mr. Sharma. We are miners and farmers, magics are simply above us. I do not know anything more about master Dunderdart, although...," Bertram considers his next words.
"I recall him entering the foundry every tuesday for the last months. According to Gerard, the owner, master Dunderdart was buying large quantaties of smelted iron."

Kirja, you remember the Grey Mountains have rich veins of iron and other ores. Though the largest mines are claimed by rich landholders and cities, several smaller communities dot the mountains as well. Ostlay would be one of those villages.

Sucrose
2009-12-14, 05:41 PM
Kirja notes the information, realizing that mining is probably a substantial portion of the town's exports.

What would a wizard need with a lot of iron?

"...Golem? Sharma, is there anything that a wizard would want with so much metal other than some kind of simulacrum?"

whoiam
2009-12-14, 06:09 PM
Edana
Edana was another who accepted only water. She was not going to approach combat tipsy. It was too important for that.

"Never mind. It is only speculation, and unless there is an equipment store in this village better than that provided by the guild, we would be better served to simply investigate the tower than to speculate."

Sure, this means that if we're going to get this wrong, we'll die quicker. But we're only got the one set of equipment, the one set of supplies. Even if we work out what we'll be facing before we face them, we cannot prepare much more than we already have.

"A more relevant question would be entry. Would it normally be possible for a villager to simply walk into this mage's tower? Or is it normally locked or guarded against intrustion?"

BooNL
2009-12-14, 06:16 PM
"I am afraid I do not know that either. Whenever we needed his services one of the villagers would simply knock on the door. I do not think anyone has ever set foot inside his tower."

Gossipmonger
2009-12-14, 07:24 PM
Valkoris sips slowly at his wine. "How vexing. Is there anyone else he spoke to? A mage of such power would surely need a lot of rare spell components and the like. Do you know where he acquired such things? We should also pay a visit to the foundry. He may have mentioned something to Gerard that could help us."

Random NPC
2009-12-14, 09:22 PM
Sharma nodded at the speaker.

"A great amount of metal?" said while turning to Kirja. "The only thing that occurs to me at the moment is the creation of golems and other kinds of constructs..." He fell silent for a second, thinking.

The possibility of casting spells of the druid traditions, possibility of constructs. Maybe an Artificer?

Sharma then began to think of the possibilities.

Rolling for Constructs that may require lots of iron
[roll0]
Rolling for any other magical items that may require lots of iron
[roll1]

Pretty much recalling information Sharma may have known.

OOC: L.E.U. should roll something too

"I think we should talk to the aforementioned Gerard before heading to the tower."

Frog Dragon
2009-12-15, 12:11 AM
"Large amounts of metal you say? I think I should know this."
Arcana: [roll0]

Simba
2009-12-15, 02:27 AM
Karal

After helping Edana into her armour, Karal follows her to the teleportation chamber, trying to hide his nervousness along the way. He steps into the circle with some hesitation and holds his breath until they arive safely. Only then does he seem to relax.

Keeping quiet, he will accept the offered water and listen to what is said.

BooNL
2009-12-15, 05:11 AM
"The only other person he had much contact with was Gerards wife, who brought around a basket of groceries for him every week," Betram said. "She was the one who reported his disapearance when he did not answer the door."

Sucrose
2009-12-15, 03:34 PM
Kirja nods at Betram's comment. Looking around to make sure he's not interrupting anyone, he pipes in.

"In that case, we'd probably profit from speaking to her as soon as possible. Which way is it to Gerard's home?"

BooNL
2009-12-16, 09:51 AM
"Of course, let me show you the way." If there are no further interruptions, Bertram will escort you out of the townhall. Outside, you see a sober sight. The houses are sturdy and functional, with little in the way of decoration. Despite having only 300 inhabitants - most of them miners and farmers - the village itself is build very close together.

Betram guides you across the plaza, which he explains is filled with various markets and stalls every fourteen days. After a short walk you arrive at the foundry.
Before he's able to knock on the door to introduce you, a man wearing a mining helmet runs up to him shouting his name. Betram takes the man to the side for a minute, grimaces and turns back to you.
"I am sorry friends, I must depart. Tell Gerard you are investigating the wizard's tower. He will be happy to help." He sets off toward the mine, east of the village. Before he leaves, he turns around and adds. "Thank you."

Simba
2009-12-16, 10:07 AM
Karal

Karal cheerfully waves as Bertram runs off, then waits for someone else to knock: "Let's see what we can find out. Not a nice place, by the way. Too confined, no place to run. Feels like a trap to me!"

whoiam
2009-12-16, 10:43 AM
Edana

The crusader steps forwards without any real hesitation. This is not so very different from the farming village she grew up in, except hers had placed its faith in the church, not a mage. "Most farming villages are built like this these days. You huddle together for protection: Unless you've money enough for a full-time mercenary patrol, sticking close to one another is all the security you will get out here."

Three loud knocks (It's easy to knock loud with a metal gauntlet) and she waits for the door to open.

Sucrose
2009-12-16, 12:17 PM
Kirja nods, turning a critical eye to the village.

"Also, I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least some escape routes built in. The only real danger is the ease of burning everything."

Random NPC
2009-12-16, 03:01 PM
Sharma spent the whole trajectory quiet. He enjoys being quiet. It allows him being inside his mind and think. Arcane formulas keep floating around his mind. Binding circles. Formulas for spells. Possibilities.

He now waits for more information.

BooNL
2009-12-17, 02:31 AM
A couple of seconds after Edana knocks on the door, you hear someone shout. "Enter!"

If you decide to head in, you pass through a small entryhall onto the workfloor of the foundry. A grey-haired man walks up to you, "Yes?"

Random NPC
2009-12-17, 03:11 AM
Sharma

Before entering, Sharma looks at the group and says, "I'll handle the introductions." Now, Sharma was going to do what he does bests.

First, he politely lowers his head and smiles at the man. "Greetings..." he says and prepares to talk. And with the talk, he prepares to invoke the full power of Naberius on the poor man.

"My name is Sharma and me and my companions come from the Adventurer's Guild to deal with a problem at hand. We are here to deal with some problems relating to the wizard Dundedart. I assume you are Mr. Gerard, yes?" He looks at him and proceeds to speak, almost with an unnatural eloquence. Naberius is now speaking through Sharma. "You see, our first step in this investigation leads us here. We heard that Dundedart bought large quantities iron from you. If you are so generous to discuss with us whatever you may know about the wizard, please do so." The deed was done. The short influence of Naberius was passed to Gerard.

He smiles softly and then proceeds to give a more serious look. "It would be better if you can provide us with the most accurate information you can give us. We need this in order for us to provide the best service available. We need your help in order to help your home."

BooNL
2009-12-17, 03:18 AM
The man looks a little struck by the eloquence of the robed man in front of him. In the mountains, people tend to use fewer words.
"Eh, hi," he responds, unsure what to say for a moment. "There is not really a lot I know about him. He moved here a few years ago, I heard him mention something about doing research here. When asked why he moved to Ostlay he responded that it was quiet.
Whenever he comes here he looks a little said and I am not sure he's all that right in the head," he stops for a minute and considers the words he just said. He hopes he didn't offend the wizard in front of him.
"My wife brings around his groceries every week, he pays quite handsomely for it. It allowed me to make some decent upgrades to my foundry here," the man beams proudly as he looks at the iron-smelting machine. "What is it exactly you want from me?"

Random NPC
2009-12-17, 03:27 AM
Sharma

"We just want information, mister Gerard." Sharma ponders for a split second and then continues. "Did the wizard Dundedart ever told you about his research? Was there something grim about it? Did your wife ever talked to him?" Sharma then changes his voice to something more soothing. "I'm sorry if we seem too noisy about this, but this information may be vital for our mission. Please don't mind the questions." He concludes with a smile.

He then proceeds to analyze Gerard's answers.

BooNL
2009-12-17, 03:47 AM
"As I said, he was a pretty secluded fellow. He did not talk overly much," Gerard answered. "I once asked what he needed all that iron for, to which he replied 'to undo the past'. Frankly, I do not know what he meant by it."

Gerard bows his head a little. "I hope he's alright, the old fool."

whoiam
2009-12-17, 04:39 AM
Edana

"With him being a wizard, I would not be overly surprised if he was literally attempting to undo the past. Is it possible for us to speak to your wife?"

The wizard did not open up to the smith, but it's possible he may have opened up to Mrs. Smith. Pelor knows how many sinners I caught in my novitiate by wearing a short tunic into a tavern.

BooNL
2009-12-17, 04:42 AM
The man blinks at Edana's words. "Literally undoing the past? Surely one cannot do that?" He looks shocked, but it's clear he doesn't have a lot of experience with magic.
"Unfortunately, my wife is visiting her sister in Landsville. She won't be back for at least a tenday."

Sucrose
2009-12-17, 12:22 PM
Kirja nods.

"It would take at least a couple of days to reach there, and another two to come back...how much is known about the goblins that Dundedart protects you from? How soon are they likely to attack?"

Frog Dragon
2009-12-19, 05:28 AM
"There seems to be no useful information here." The metal man speaks out in a voice bearing very little variation of tone "We should just go to the tower. Break the door if it's not opened."

Gossipmonger
2009-12-19, 09:30 PM
"Indeed. We have exhausted all avenues of investigation. Direct action is now our best approach."

Simba
2009-12-22, 02:22 AM
Karal

"Then let's go!"

BooNL
2009-12-22, 02:59 AM
"The goblins usually attack when their numbers are too many. Overpopulation can lead to a lack of food and while they are usually content with infighting, sometimes a warlord rises up and attacks the villages in the Grey Mountains.
It has been a couple of months since they last attacked and while we haven't seen any signs of goblins we do not feel safe without Dunderdart."

As you mention investigating the tower, Gerard nods and points you the way. You say your goodbyes and leave the foundry.
You leave the village to the east and just as the houses dissapear the great expanses of the Grey Mountains comes into view. Ostlay was build on one of the more accessable sections, most of the Grey Mountains are jagged spines and deep canyons. On a distant peak you can see a plume of smoke, whoever would travel that far into the mountains must either be a fool or a native.

Dunderdart's tower is easy to find, a small hour's travel from Ostlay away. You climb the hill on which the tower stands and get a better view of the wizard's abode.
The tower itself is not very large, it is a cylindrical building, with three stories. There is a window on the top floor, but not on the second. The entrance to the tower is quite ornate. The stone steps that lead up to the door are flanked by two large statues, fierce lions carved from stone. Above the door a statue of a gargoyle-like creature rests, with a small inscription underneath*.

* For those that speak dwarven:

The inscription is written in ancient dwarven, its tongue is older than you've ever encountered but you can understand the message: "Beware ye who enter unmortal, true death awaits thine approach."

Random NPC
2009-12-22, 04:29 AM
Sharma

I might not have any use for Naberius inside. I should start thinking on what I will need inside...

Once close enough to the tower, Sharma draws his hand to mention a halt to their march. "If I had a tower in lands like these, I would make my entrance secure." He proceeds to close his eyes. "Pardon me for a few moments."

Sharma travels deep inside his mind, where the arcana formulas dance in his memory. Pages worth of magic dancing around, fickle, waiting to be used. He looks for two formulas in specific. Ah, there.

First with the basics. He takes out a piece of leather from his pouch, concentrates on it and proceeds to invoke the power of the Mage Armor. A motion of his fingers and an arcane phrase, triggering a fountain of reactions, creating a protective shield around him. It will last for 4 hours.

One formula gone from his mind.....

Then, the next one. A simpler one. He moves his arms in front of him, outstretched, seeing through a circle made by his hands almost touching. He opens his eyes and says the triggering arcane phrase and another formula is gone from his mind. He casts Detect Magic on the entrance and concentrates for a few moments to study the presence of auras.

whoiam
2009-12-22, 05:43 AM
Edana

"Let me know when you have finished your divinations, Sharma." For her part, Edana used a different spell - Comprehend Languages - and touched her right gauntlet to the inscription over the door in order to divine its meaning.

"Beware ye who enter unmortal, true death awaits thine approach." A pause, as she pulled her hand back and started arming herself. (Tower Shield and Bastard Sword for this. She's likely to be the first one through once they've opened the door, after all, and that's the sort of assignment where you appreciate not being an easy target for a crossbow trap). "That should not be a problem for us - I think it is a warding against marauding undead or planar enemies."

Another pause.

"Um... are there any wards around that might protect against such foes?" A nasty thought had hit the crusader. "Because if he's got that sort of a problem, and the wards are down..." She just kinda trailed off. Fighting the wizard's victorious foes would be far harder than just talking a recluse into reassuring the local villagers he's alright...

Of course, Edana doesn't know what language it's written in, or else she'd have asked around to see if anyone else could read it.

Oh, and Comprehend Languages is a 40 minute duration for Edana.

Random NPC
2009-12-22, 03:27 PM
Sharma

"Thread carefully." He looks at Edana. "I can sense strong auras in here."

He looks at the auras and points to the portal of the door. "There are warding spells on the portal, abjuration in nature. Probably some sort of alarm system. I don't doubt there might be some sort of protection spells that will push away undead or other sorts of critters." Sharma puts his hand on his chins, looks at the tower and starts to ponder for a moment. "However, this whole tower reeks of Transmutation. I can't discern the origin."

He looks around smirks for a moment. "That is why I believe those wards on the portal are some sort of alarm.

"I believe our mage here might have created an alarm system that might go off if the proper password or mechanism is not triggered. More than likely from the inside.

"The strong Transmutation aura might be the defense mechanism itself. When triggered it might create some sort of golem or other form of guardian...." He pauses, smiles and points at the gargoyle. "Like that gargoyle, or even the Lions at the entrance."

Sharma then smiles. Excitement fills his whole self. A strong wizard this is...

"We may be dealing with a trap here. An alarm that might trigger animated objects."

Sucrose
2009-12-23, 03:09 AM
As the others ascertain the nature of the device, Kirja readies himself for immediate combat, readying his buckler, and focusing his will until an aura of sharpness extends in a straight line from his hand.

While the blade itself is a pure manifestation of his will, and thus rather colorless, it distorts the light around it, looking almost like an edge made of glass. In addition, a faint aura of psionic energy that holds it together gives Kirja's mindblade an almost imperceptible bluish tint.

With another moment of concentration, Kirja's mindblade becomes wrapped in the most psionic energy he can maintain outside of his body without losing control. Lightning-like torrents of energy surge along the blade.

As he's completing these tasks, that have slowly become routine for him, Kirja looks for anything out of the ordinary that might give the team a better clue of what they should most be worrying about.

[roll0]

Frog Dragon
2009-12-23, 09:18 AM
I will attempt to discover and disable any traps. L.E.U steps forward to the door, attempting to find anything reminiscent of a trap. He takes his time, going through each detail and each part of the door with seemingly limitless patience.

Assuming he finds none after finishing his search he says "Any of you are welcome to try, though I have been very thorough" He pulls out his wand of knock. "If one of you is capable of bypassing the lock, do so, before I expend limited resources."

If he does find a trap he will attempt to disable it and if succesfull he will pull out his wand of knock and say the same thing as in the earlier scenario

If he cannot disable the trap he will say "I have found a trap in this door, but am unable to rid us of it."

Simba
2009-12-28, 01:36 AM
Karal

Karal watches the others working on the door, unable to help. When the possibility of magical constructs is mentioned he readies himself for a fight.

BooNL
2009-12-29, 03:42 AM
The warforged searches the entrance thourougly, but cannot find any mechanical traps or anything else out of the ordinary. He does notice the door is not locked at all.

As you are discussing your options, dark clouds are packing in the sky. What little sunlight there was is now replaced by the brooding shadow of the clouds. You can feel the first drops of rain on your face and from the looks of it, they won't be the last.

Sucrose
2010-01-01, 10:13 AM
Kirja doesn't seem even faintly bothered by the rain, though he does take note of it.

Not seeing anyone else willing to take the next step, he whispers,

"Well, if L.E.U. cannot find anything, shouldn't we head in?"

Keeping a wary eye out at the statue, he steps toward the door, aiming to enter.

whoiam
2010-01-01, 10:37 AM
Edana
One gauntlet was enough to arrest Kirja's progress. "One of us has a really big shield" Edana noted. "So guess which of us should be first to walk into fire?"

Yup. Me.

Still, there was nothing wrong with Kirja's sentiment. Using the shield instead of her hand (for as much of the process as is practical) Edana slowly pushes the door open, and cautiously edges into the room beyond.

Still got 'Understand Languages' active.
Edana's using the tower shield as total cover for now. I.e. she's hiding behind it.

Gossipmonger
2010-01-02, 09:18 AM
Valkoris readies his shield and loosens his sword, but does not draw it. Calling upon the power granted by his blessed heritage, he conjures up magical armour to protect himself from harm.
"If anyone else desires magical protection, I shall be happy to provide it. "

Casting an Extended Mage Armour. That's 8 hours of +3 AC, whoo!

Sucrose
2010-01-03, 12:41 AM
Kirja glances around, then nods and smiles.

"I'd appreciate that, Valkoris."

Trusting the spellcaster to keep up, he starts walking after Edana.

So, I'm to watch your back, instead?

He glances up at the gargoyle, and the forboding message attached. He smiles, and shivers with excitement.

That's not so bad. There might be enough for both of us.

Frog Dragon
2010-01-15, 04:35 PM
L.E.U strolls into the building behind the others, choosing not to make any special preparations now, keeping his battlefist at the ready by his side.