PDA

View Full Version : Potions/Wands as a swift action

BenTheJester
2009-12-07, 10:33 AM
Are there any item or feat that allows to use a wand or drink a potion as a swift action?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-07, 10:46 AM
Doesn't a wand take the same amount of time to use as the parent spell(providing it's in hand atm)?

Thus, you really just need either a spell thats naturally a swift action(go go, wings of cover) or a way to apply metamagic to spells from a wand(see also, incantatrix).

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 10:47 AM
Free or swift? Anyways, Swift Action-spells are used as swift action from Wands as per Rules Compendium; basically, Wandification doesn't change the action used to activate the spell with its advent.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-07, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I answered as per swift. I don't know anything that makes it a free action.

I believe there's also a mundane potion belt somewhere that makes potion use less action intensive. Still not free, though. I'd stay away from potions in general though. Wands are better.

BenTheJester
2009-12-07, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I answered as per swift. I don't know anything that makes it a free action.

I believe there's also a mundane potion belt somewhere that makes potion use less action intensive. Still not free, though. I'd stay away from potions in general though. Wands are better.

I meant swift, sorry for the incoherence.

The thing is, I'm playing a Dragonfire Adept and the Metamagic Breath and Metallic Dragon Breath draughts, while being wondrous items, function just like potions and I can most likely get it approved that any feat/item that works on potions work for them.

Gnaeus
2009-12-07, 11:37 AM
There is a masterwork potion belt in forgotten realms campaign setting. I believe it lets you pull out potions as a free action. Doesn't help you drink them tho.

Optimystik
2009-12-07, 11:52 AM
If you don't mind chugging in advance, Delay Potion (CM) lets you activate a potion you've drunk beforehand as a swift action at any time before it expires. The expiration time is in hours = your con bonus, minimum one hour.

drengnikrafe
2009-12-07, 11:56 AM
I strongly doubt that there is anything that would make the use of a wand a free action. Consider, a wand usually has 50 charges, and so if you had a wand of fireball that, for some reason, could be activated as a free action, and you get an infinite number of free actions per round...
Well, also, if you consider a wand to be a weapon, and you take quick draw, and have dozens of wands of fireball... Well... I think this point makes itself.

Person_Man
2009-12-07, 12:07 PM
Hire a common laborer (a few coppers per day) to follow you around carrying your potions. When you need a potion, order him to give you one (Free Action). He can then use his action to feed it to you. Your potion carrier might get killed by an area of effect spell from time to time. But hey, they're cheap, and you travel a lot.

Also, an Item Familiar can cast spells you store in it using it's own action. I think there is some other feat or class ability that lets your your Familiar use Wands, but I can't remember the name. At the very least, they can hold the charge of any touch spell for you, so that on the first round of every combat you can release 2 spells.

If you're going to be using wands a lot, you might also want to invest in a Wand Bracer. It holds multiple wands, and you can draw any one as a Swift Action. And/or you can buy a Wand Chamber, which puts a single wand inside a weapon or shield. As long as you’re holding it, you count as holding the wand (Dungeonscape). There's also the Potion Bracer, which holds a potion so you don’t need to spend a Move action to draw it, you do not need to drop your weapon, and you do not provoke an AoO. (Though you still need to spend a Standard Action to drink it). (Sharn City of Towers pg 158)

Zovc
2009-12-07, 12:57 PM
Arguably, wands cannot be activated normally as a swift action even if the spell on the wand is normally a swift action.

Wands use the spell trigger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#spellTrigger) activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.

In case you don't want to click the spell trigger link:

Spell Trigger
Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

The wand's entry seems to say that a wand can't be activated any faster than a standard action, but it can take longer than that.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-07, 01:02 PM
I strongly doubt that there is anything that would make the use of a wand a free action. Consider, a wand usually has 50 charges, and so if you had a wand of fireball that, for some reason, could be activated as a free action, and you get an infinite number of free actions per round...
Well, also, if you consider a wand to be a weapon, and you take quick draw, and have dozens of wands of fireball... Well... I think this point makes itself.
I don't think so, Tim.

Zovc
2009-12-07, 01:06 PM

Good thing I casted Lesser Globe of Invulnerability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeofInvulnerabilityLesser.htm).

sofawall
2009-12-07, 01:28 PM
The wand's entry seems to say that a wand can't be activated any faster than a standard action, but it can take longer than that.

Rules Compendium says otherwise.

Person_Man
2009-12-07, 02:19 PM
Arguably, wands cannot be activated normally as a swift action even if the spell on the wand is normally a swift action.

In case you don't want to click the spell trigger link:

sofawall is correct. They errata'd the rule. Wands take the same amount of time to use as the spell that it casts. However, you still have to be holding the wand in order to use it, which requires some planning and/or specialized equipment beforehand if you don't want to waste an action.

Curmudgeon
2009-12-07, 06:36 PM
They errata'd the rule. Wands take the same amount of time to use as the spell that it casts.
Small quibble: it wasn't an erratum (i.e., a correction to something inadvertently released in a broken state); it was an intentional rule update after the incorporation of swift and immediate actions into the rules.

Darrin
2009-12-07, 07:53 PM
I've been looking for a faster way to drink potions, but the closest I've been able to find is Drunken Master 1, "Drink Like a Demon", consume a serving of alcoholic beverage as a move action. But this would require you to convince your DM that a potion is an alcoholic beverage , or the magical potency would not be sufficiently diluted if you dropped it into a tankard of ale as a "chaser" or whatnot.