PDA

View Full Version : "You have served the Coil... but not enough." [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-07, 11:20 AM
Emperor of Malignance
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/B/Brutal%20Legend/Bulk%20Viewers/PS3_360/2009-08-13/Doviculus%20of%20The%20Tainted%20Coil--article_blog_image.jpg
Lord Doviculus, unique demon and Emperor of Malignance

Even the wretched need a leader, sometimes they need it the most. Who best to lead the wretched than the most glorious of the wretched? Emperors of Malignance are those very creatures. They embody what is most twisted in their kin and become a shining example of it, to the point where every evil creature can recognize their greatness and can barely help but to bow before them. The greatest strength of these warlords and leaders is their knack for conjuring forth their minions to greater effect, be it power, duration or durability.

HD: d8

Requirements
Alignment: Any evil
Race: Outsider with the Evil subtype
Skills: Bluff 10 ranks, Intimidate 10 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks
Feats: Augmented Summons, Leadership, Spell Focus (conjuration)
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane or divine spells, including summon monster III
Special: Must be looked up at with awe by your followers. Your Leadership score can never drop below 1.5 times your HD for any reason.

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Listen, Perform, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim, and Tumble
Skill-points per level: 6+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Pyrrhic leader, dread conjurer|+1 of existing spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Tyrant motivation|+1 of existing spellcasting class
3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Extended obedience|+1 of existing spellcasting class
4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Cult of the self|+1 of existing spellcasting class
5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Malign servitude|+1 of existing spellcasting class
6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Sardonic rewards|+1 of existing spellcasting class
7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Elite minions|+1 of existing spellcasting class
8th|+6|+2|+2|+6|Dark lieutenants|+1 of existing spellcasting class
9th|+6|+3|+3|+6|Twisted stamina|+1 of existing spellcasting class
10th|+7|+3|+3|+7|True emperor, thy masters orders|+1 of existing spellcasting class
[/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Emperors of Malignance gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level(and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an Emperor of Malignance, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Pyrrhic Leader (Ex): An Emperor of Malignance is seen by his followers as nothing short of a god, and his divine will is infallible. At 1st level, an Emperor of Malignance no longer suffers penalties to their Leadership score for acts of aloofness or cruelty, or any other act that is entirely within the control of the Emperor. This does not include things such as failure or having followers of a different alignment.
Your followers also now have an attitude of fanatic towards you, and an attitude of hostile against anyone you don't particularly like.

Dread Conjurer (Ex): The ritual knowledge of the Malign Emperors is widespread, but there is no doubt their magical talent is that of tyranny, and not only leading those lower than you but conjuring them. This grants them bonus spells known from the list below. These spells are immediately added to your list of spells known the instant you gain a new spell level. If you already have access to these spell levels, you add the appropriate spells to the appropriate spells known according to level.

1st - mount, summon monster I
2nd - summon monster II, summon swarm
3rd - phantom steed
4th - lesser planar ally, summon monster IV
5th - insect plague, summon monster V
6th - planar ally, summon monster VI
7th - creeping doom, summon monster VII
8th - greater planar ally, summon monster VIII
9th - summon monster IX

Additionally, the Emperor of Malignance can use any conjuration (summoning) spell they know that takes a full-round action to cast as a standard action instead. You are now restricted to summoning creatures of evil alignments, no matter any lack of restrictions you may previously have had.

Tyrant Motivation (Ex): If there’s one thing your minions should fear more than your foes, it’s you. At 2nd level, as a swift action, you may grant any of your allies, followers, or your cohort an extra action above and beyond the normal limit per round by making an Intimidate check. They take the extra action immediately on your turn. The type of action they may take depends on the result of your Intimidate check. A result of 10 or lower allows a swift action, a result of 11 to 30 allows a move action, a result of 31 to 40 allows a standard action, and a result of 41 and higher allows a full-round action. Once you have used this ability, you must wait 5 rounds before you can use it again.

Extended Obedience (Su): Your eldritch minions have no greater desire than to serve their dread master. At 3rd level, any creature summoned through a conjuration (summoning) spell cast by you gains the benefits of the Extend Spell feat without an increase in caster level or casting time.

Cult of the Self (Ex): Your followers see you as a god, and why blame them? Though it may not be your reward, they are still given a small ingot of power by some dark force. At 4th level, all of your followers gain an additional cleric level on top of their normal class levels. This level does not count against their maximum class level, and is a flat addition. This bonus level is not granted to your cohort, though if your cohort has any cleric levels they gain a bonus domain that pertains to some aspect of your dark will and power.

Malign Servitude (Su): At 5th level, you gain the unique ability to conjure specific planar minions. This ability works identically to the lesser planar ally spell with the following exceptions; The creature is unique, and has as many HD as your cohort's HD-2 and is allowed to have class levels. The creature must be an evil outsider. You cannot call more than a single creature with this ability at a time, but you are allowed to have as many of these cohorts in a day equal to your HD divided by 4. These conjured cohorts still must follow a single specified task and the duration is as normal for the spell, but if they finish it prematurely they can be given another task until their servitude is complete. In addition, the cost for tasks is reduced to half until 10th level, when the costs are negated. You can have no more than 2 of these cohorts called at one time.

Sardonic Rewards (Su): For the services payed to you by your fanatic worshipers, they are rewarded. However, the reward is as your nature would demand, and is merely a gift to yourself. At 6th level, all your followers, cohorts and creatures summoned through conjuration (calling) spells and effects gain the benefits of your Augmented Summons feat, and any creatures summoned with conjuration (summoning) spells gain double the effects of the feat.

Dark Lieutenants (Su): At 7th level, the grand majesty that is your conjuration power is a gift that can be bestowed upon your most valued followers. Your followers are allowed to tap into your spell knowledge to create followers in your name. Your cohort is allowed to cast any of the conjuration (calling) or (summoning) spells you have prepared or known, and creatures conjured through conjuration (calling) spells and effects(such as the malign servitude class feature) can use any conjuration (summoning) spells you have prepared or known of a level equal to their HD divided by 2.
Spells used by your minions through these means are still expended from your prepared spells or spell slots, and use your caster level and any benefits you would have given them if you'd summoned them yourself.

Elite Minions (Ex): At 8th level, you can promote your minions to the ranks of the elite—and they’d better live up to your high expectations. Once per encounter, as a swift action, you may promote a number of followers (but not your cohort, summoned or called creatures) equal to your Charisma modifier to elite minions. They gain six temporary d10 HD and the appropriate amount of hp, a +6 morale bonus on attack rolls, a +5 morale bonus on Fortitude saves, a +1 morale bonus on Will and Reflex saves, and they all gain the feats Combat Reflexes, Diehard, and Power Attack as bonus feats. These bonuses last until the end of the encounter. If you fail to triumph in the encounter, your minions act in the only way they know to redeem themselves and kill themselves before you have are capable of acting to stop them.

Twisted Stamina (Su): The devotion your minions have for you is once again rewarded with more tools to be used against his enemies. At 9th level, any creatures summoned using conjuration (summoning) or (calling) spells and effects gain fast healing 5, an enhancement bonus to a single ability score of your choice equal to your Cha modifier, an enhancement bonus to AC equal to your Cha modifier and immunity to a single element type(that all affected must share). This unnatural aberration of flesh causes the followers to become more vile in appearance, and may be anything from more disgusting piles of flesh and sinew to terrifying monstrous things to being of unnatural dark beauty.

True Emperor (Ex): Your reputation as a god is spread far and wide, and those who do not vomit at the thought of your accomplishments are those who are devoted. At 10th level, the number of followers you gain through your Leadership feat is now doubled. This multiplier of followers does not extend to your cohort.
Additionally, any time you cast a conjuration (summoning) spell or use a natural summoning ability(such as the tanar'ri or baatezu abilities), you summon an additional creature of the same kind.

Thy Master's Orders (Su): At 10th level, the loyalty of your eldritch servants is unswerving and they will stay by your side longer than that of any mere spellcaster. Any creature you have summoned through any conjuration (calling) spell or effect stays at your side for 1 day per level and requires no gold piece cost for it's loyalty. Additionally, it is not stuck with one task but can have it's task changed by the Emperor of Malignance as a standard action. The called creature can still only have one task at a time, but the task is never set.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-07, 12:03 PM
This is now my very favourite villain class. It would be a bit of bilk on your resources to use some of the calling features, but i guess that's the point.

The Master of Snake Mountain is dethroned! Long live the Emperor of Malignance!

As i doubt that anyone's ever going to play this as a PC, balance is less of an issue and i think the powers of each level are about equal to a CR +1 adjustment...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-07, 12:05 PM
This is now my very favourite villain class. It would be a bit of bilk on your resources to use some of the calling features, but i guess that's the point.

The Master of Snake Mountain is dethroned! Long live the Emperor of Malignance!

As i doubt that anyone's ever going to play this as a PC, balance is less of an issue and i think the powers of each level are about equal to a CR +1 adjustment...

Yes probably, but keep in mind it's for outsiders with the Evil subtype and typically they have lots of Level Adjustment.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-07, 12:27 PM
Yes probably, but keep in mind it's for outsiders with the Evil subtype and typically they have lots of Level Adjustment.

Not quite sure what you mean by that...If you mean that getting into this as a PC, you'd have to be...10-11th level equivilent with the lowest power demon/devil i can find...Maybe less if you were an Unholy Scion, yes, is suppose so. I tend to look at class features without really considering their level, though, especially if they scale. Probably a side effect to a history of low magic item, few casters games.

You could build a creature with the first level of this that was...CR 7 though [Spinagon, 5 levels of mage [3 are non-associated] then level 1 of this]

Not that it's likely to work too well, but illusion could go a long way with the gullable. Anyway, certainly a lot better than the Fiend of Blasphemy or whatever that class was called.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-07, 12:29 PM
Oh yes, I see. Of course. Nothing to add really, just thanks for liking it. :smallbiggrin:

The Tygre
2009-12-07, 02:55 PM
To quote a lich far greater and wiser than I: "I think I just had an evilgasm."

sigurd
2009-12-07, 06:48 PM
Whole heaps of hurt! Great NPC class.

TwistofCain
2009-12-07, 06:52 PM
I love it! Will we be seeing a Warrior of Ormagöden prestige class?

DragoonWraith
2009-12-07, 07:01 PM
Awesome!

Though I think Doviculus is a Devil, not a Demon, personally. He's rather the conniving type.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-08, 01:08 AM
I like all the positive reactions. You serve me well, my minions.

I love it! Will we be seeing a Warrior of Ormagöden prestige class?

Perhaps...

Awesome!

Though I think Doviculus is a Devil, not a Demon, personally. He's rather the conniving type.

Yes, probably. I'm just going with the original term they use for him.

The Corinthian
2009-12-08, 04:46 AM
As strong as this is, it shouldn't have full spellcasting progression.
BBEGs are usually higher level than the party anyway. I'd suggest dropping progression at level 1, 5 and 10.

Really good class, though. I'll probably use it.

DragoonWraith
2009-12-08, 05:00 AM
I think the idea is that Outsiders with the Evil subtype already have (often significant) RHD, so they don't need to lose more casting. A ECL 1 Evil Outsider race with full spellcasting class levels would probably be broken with this, though.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-08, 06:02 AM
May i ask which book series these are drawn from? I assume it's a book series rather than game or anime...

Ascension
2009-12-08, 06:10 AM
May i ask which book series these are drawn from? I assume it's a book series rather than game or anime...

The video game Brütal Legend is the source, if my Googling hasn't led me astray.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-08, 06:28 AM
The video game Brütal Legend is the source, if my Googling hasn't led me astray.

Indeed it has not! That is a character from Brütal Legend, Doviculus.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-08, 06:59 AM
Well...erm...this is altogether more dangerous and serious than i would have assumed from a Doublefine game.

I have this strange desire to know it you'll be creating Mountrockmore as an upgradable magic item/class feature thing...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-08, 09:38 AM
Well...erm...this is altogether more dangerous and serious than i would have assumed from a Doublefine game.

I have this strange desire to know it you'll be creating Mountrockmore as an upgradable magic item/class feature thing...

I was considering making an entire Brütal Legend campaign setting, including systems for shredding to use magic, variant human and demon races, monsters, vehicles, etc...

The Tygre
2009-12-08, 09:55 AM
I was considering making an entire Brütal Legend campaign setting, including systems for shredding to use magic, variant human and demon races, monsters, vehicles, etc...

A- a Krimm-made Brutal Legend d20?

*single tear of joy rolls down face*

brujon
2009-12-08, 10:17 AM
Tyrant Motivation (Ex): If there’s one thing your minions should fear more than your foes, it’s you. At 2nd level, as a swift action, you may grant any of your allies, followers, or your cohort an extra action by making an Intimidate check. They take the extra action immediately on your turn. The type of action they may take depends on the result of your Intimidate check. A result of 10 or lower allows a swift action, a result of 11 to 30 allows a move action, a result of 31 to 40 allows a standard action, and a result of 41 and higher allows a full-round action. Once you have used this ability, you must wait 5 rounds before you can use it again.

Found a problem with this ability. If any of the followers/allies/cohort has access to White Raven Tactics, you can start an infinite turn loop.

Emperor takes his turn, uses swift action, ally uses WRT and emperor has another turn, has another swift action... It goes on. Can also cause loops if there's another Emperor who's an ally, and has that ability.

Also, there's a problem with the wording. Aren't you an ally yourself? Why can't you use Tyrant Motivation on yourself? White Raven Tactics has that problem, too. Any sane DM would rule otherwise, but for strictly RAW DM's...

Both problems are easily fixed, just reword it so that the target of the ability gains that extra action on their next turn instead of your own. And just add to the ability a phrase saying that you can't target yourself with the abilty.

Other than that seems pretty good though.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-08, 12:28 PM
Tyrant Motivation (Ex): If there’s one thing your minions should fear more than your foes, it’s you. At 2nd level, as a swift action, you may grant any of your allies, followers, or your cohort an extra action by making an Intimidate check. They take the extra action immediately on your turn. The type of action they may take depends on the result of your Intimidate check. A result of 10 or lower allows a swift action, a result of 11 to 30 allows a move action, a result of 31 to 40 allows a standard action, and a result of 41 and higher allows a full-round action. Once you have used this ability, you must wait 5 rounds before you can use it again.

Found a problem with this ability. If any of the followers/allies/cohort has access to White Raven Tactics, you can start an infinite turn loop.

Emperor takes his turn, uses swift action, ally uses WRT and emperor has another turn, has another swift action... It goes on. Can also cause loops if there's another Emperor who's an ally, and has that ability.

Also, there's a problem with the wording. Aren't you an ally yourself? Why can't you use Tyrant Motivation on yourself? White Raven Tactics has that problem, too. Any sane DM would rule otherwise, but for strictly RAW DM's...

Both problems are easily fixed, just reword it so that the target of the ability gains that extra action on their next turn instead of your own. And just add to the ability a phrase saying that you can't target yourself with the abilty.

Other than that seems pretty good though.

Ah yes, I hadn't considered that. I'll fix that.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-08, 03:15 PM
i don't understand the issue here...

Does WRT cancel the 5 rounds wait period? I thought it just granted an extra turn or something...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-08, 03:20 PM
i don't understand the issue here...

Does WRT cancel the 5 rounds wait period? I thought it just granted an extra turn or something...

Oh yeah, there is that. That kind of cuts the loop off right away, doesn't it?

I'm feeling a little rusty, nothing's occurring to me even though I wrote it.

Yakk
2009-12-08, 09:06 PM
So, leadership etc is a PC feat intended as a way for a DM to mechanically provide a PC with minions.

For an NPC, the minions the NPC has are already DM fiat.

Why all the fiddly leadership bits?

DracoDei
2009-12-08, 10:52 PM
You cannot call more than a single creature with this ability at a time, <Snip> You can have no more than 2 of these cohorts called at one time.
You have a contradiction here.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-09, 08:25 AM
So, leadership etc is a PC feat intended as a way for a DM to mechanically provide a PC with minions.

For an NPC, the minions the NPC has are already DM fiat.

Why all the fiddly leadership bits?

For PC's who want to play as evil outsiders, as I so often have.

You have a contradiction here.

No it isn't. The planar ally spells allow you to call multiple creatures so long as their total HD doesn't exceed a certain number depending on the spell. This ability doesn't allow you to summon more than one at a time, but also doesn't let you have more than 2 summoned at any point, which would come about with different castings.

Xuincherguixe
2009-12-10, 12:42 AM
Haven't really been around the forums too much these last few months.

Brutal Legend Campaign setting? Seem like an awesome idea in theory but would be really hard to pull off.

This class also seems NASTY. I pity the poor adventuring team that has to fight an Emperor of Malignance.