PDA

View Full Version : Defensive spells

Edwin
2009-12-07, 02:24 PM
So, starting a 17th level campaign, playing a wizard, I'm thinking; something nasty is bound to attack me from every other lurking shadow, especially since I'm the squishy member of the party.

The best way to protect myself is, of course, through the use of defensive spells. Items of particular interest is cool, too, if you know of a nice one.

Therefore I am asking you guys, to help me find some powerful defensive spells to help ward my weak, little mage-ass. Specifically, I am looking for spells outside core, that will help me with a number of effects, such as:

Immunity to more specific dangers, such as disintegration, to name one.

Reliable way of protecting myself against other spellcasters. That is, I don't want to use Antimagic field, because it nulls my own spellcasting, and things that absorb spell levels is a bit too finite for my taste.

And many other nasty, dangerous, or harming things that's out there.

All books(don't name core spells, thank you), 17th level, full WBL.

BobVosh
2009-12-07, 02:48 PM
I recommend rod of absorption instead of a spell for defense againist rays (a la disintegrate, etc)

(SpC unless otherwise mention)
Greater mirror images is good
Ironguard makes it so metal passes through you
Greater blink is blink with no drawbacks.

Those are the major ones I consider necessary to the standard mage.

BRC
2009-12-07, 02:50 PM
Illusions to make you appear like a 6 ft 10 dude in full plate armor with a tower shield and bastard sword.

ocdscale
2009-12-07, 02:53 PM
Illusions to make you appear like a 6 ft 10 dude in full plate armor with a tower shield and bastard sword.

Alternatively, illusions to make you appear like the pack mule carrying the bedding.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 03:07 PM
Heart of Water, Fire, Earth, Air [Complete Mage]
Battlemagic Perception [Heroes of Battle] (countering their spells counts as protection)
Anticipate Teleport (Greater) [Spell Compendium]
Contingent Energy Resistance [Spell Compendium]
Instant Refuge [Spell Compendium]
Superior Resistance [Spell Compendium]
Mind Blank [Core]
Contingency [Core]
Overland Flight/Phantom Steed [Core]
Moment of Prescience/Foresight/etc. [Core]
Invisibility [Core]
Polymorph Any Object [Core]; these give you nice defensive capabilities and lasts eternally.
Shapechange [Core]
Energy Immunity [Core]

Use Rod of Extend Spell with 10 min/level spells.

And of course, if you have means to persist spells, such as Incantatrix-levels, you can take a number of 1 min and 10 min/level spells with you (Force Ward, Ray Deflection, Ironguard, Eyes of the Oracle, etc.). Also, with some work, you can cross-list some spells like Death Wards, Heroes' Feasts and such relatively easily (through Shapechange shenanigans if nothing else), but that can already be rather abusive.

BRC
2009-12-07, 03:07 PM
Alternatively, illusions to make you appear like the pack mule carrying the bedding.
No , because you are obviously (As any smart player would) playing an Awakened mule wizard.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-07, 03:09 PM
Get the cheap SRD clasp that blocks magic missiles. It's cheap, and hey, not many things block force, so it's worthwhile. Also, no item slot.

When you have the levels for permanency, get everything. Just because you can. At 17, there's no particular reason not to.

Mage armor blows by higher levels. If you haven't already picked up actual good armor in the form of twilight mithril chain or some such, use Grtr Mage Armor(SpC). +6 AC, long duration.

While you're there, check out the better resistances. Again, great duration, and much stronger than the crappy +1 provided by the SRD version.

One of the dragon books...Dragon Magic, was it?...has an inexpensive helm that makes you immune to energy drain. Given that this can be worth than death, totally worth it.

Any defending weapon is also nice. AC isn't critical, but it comes in handy.

Edit: Also, Wings of Cover. Not a buff, per se, but saying "no" as a swift action is godly. Love it, abuse it.

Douglas
2009-12-07, 03:16 PM
If you have the means to Persist high level spells, preferably in large numbers such as from Incantatrix, take a look at Team Solars in my sig. Many of the buffs used there are from the cleric or druid lists, but there are a lot of wizard spells in there too.

Optimystik
2009-12-07, 03:19 PM
Edit: Also, Wings of Cover. Not a buff, per se, but saying "no" as a swift action is godly. Love it, abuse it.

He's a wizard, so unfortunately he'll need another way.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 03:22 PM

Like Celerity.

Edwin
2009-12-07, 03:25 PM
Like Celerity.

Celerity may be frowned upon by the DM. :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2009-12-07, 03:30 PM

A level 17 wizard can easily have enough UMD to utilize a level 2 sorc spell. A wand's the obvious way, but if you don't have enough hands for some reason, look at having an item crafted for you.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 03:31 PM
Celerity may be frowned upon by the DM. :smalltongue:

Lesser Celerity should be a fair game then, and very able to get you outta trouble. Also, Greater Mirror Image. Though between Contingency, Instant Refuge, couple of crafted Contingencies and an array of protection spells + the obligatory shrunk tinfoil hat, there's really little for you to worry about in the first place.

Optimystik
2009-12-07, 03:37 PM
A level 17 wizard can easily have enough UMD to utilize a level 2 sorc spell. A wand's the obvious way, but if you don't have enough hands for some reason, look at having an item crafted for you.

The problem is that using a wand or scroll is a standard action, defeating WoC's purpose. A use-activated crafted item might work though.

Edwin
2009-12-07, 03:39 PM
Lesser Celerity should be a fair game then, and very able to get you outta trouble. Also, Greater Mirror Image. Though between Contingency, Instant Refuge, couple of crafted Contingencies and an array of protection spells + the obligatory shrunk tinfoil hat, there's really little for you to worry about in the first place.

Crafted contingency is just cheesy, and probably not condoned either.

Otherwise, fair game. I think.

Tanaric
2009-12-07, 03:41 PM
The problem is that using a wand or scroll is a standard action, defeating WoC's purpose. A use-activated crafted item might work though.

The Rules Compendium would like to have a word with you in regards to wands.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-07, 03:47 PM
The Rules Compendium would like to have a word with you in regards to wands.

'zactly. The bigger problem is that it has to be in hand to be useful. The only point this is really an issue is if you're a fan of other wands/staves/metamagic rods, but it could be a problem.

With regards to defensive items, there's also the Ring of the Darkstalker, IIRC. MiC. Makes you invisible to creatures with darkvision. Also cheap. A *lot* of nasty things have darkvision. Sure, it's hardly the only way to get invisibility, but it's cheap, not subject to dispells, and doesn't introduce awkwardness with your party(unless they have darkvision, of course) or most diplomatic situations.

ken-do-nim
2009-12-07, 03:49 PM
My favorite defensive spell is project image since it allows you to be in or create a safe area and project your power out of it.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 03:51 PM
My favorite defensive spell is project image since it allows you to be in or create a safe area and project your power out of it.

One-upping that, Genesis+Astral Projection+Plane Shift. Be immortal.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-07, 03:53 PM

See also, ring gates.

ken-do-nim
2009-12-07, 04:14 PM
One-upping that, Genesis+Astral Projection+Plane Shift. Be immortal.

I've never heard of the spell Genesis.

See also, ring gates.

Thanks for the tip I'll check them out.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 04:25 PM
Genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm), making your own planes since '00. Basically, it's mostly used to create safe refuges from which to act without a risk to your person, and places warded from divinations and the like (including deities and other creatures of such power you normally couldn't stop). Also, accelerated timeline to craft stuff and rest and such without wasting real-world time.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-07, 05:09 PM
One useful method is [Invisible Spell(Cityscape)+Superior Invisibility]+Superior Invisibility. Even True Seeing can't see you, though certain senses penetrate it.

ken-do-nim
2009-12-07, 08:52 PM
Genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm), making your own planes since '00. Basically, it's mostly used to create safe refuges from which to act without a risk to your person, and places warded from divinations and the like (including deities and other creatures of such power you normally couldn't stop). Also, accelerated timeline to craft stuff and rest and such without wasting real-world time.

That explains it - I've never looked through the epic stuff much except at the feats.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 08:56 PM
That explains it - I've never looked through the epic stuff much except at the feats.

Yeah; non-epic stuff from ELH also ended up in the Epic section for whatever reason.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-12-07, 09:49 PM
Invisible Project Image: Cast from where ever you want, around corners and such. (Can you cast it more than once? If so, try creating a chain of around the dungeon to be able to cast anywhere.)

Gorbash
2009-12-08, 04:19 PM
Here's a list of spells that my 14th lvl wizard casts when he wakes up:

Create Magic Tattoo (+1 CL)
False Life (+ ~15 HP)
Anticipate Teleportation
Heart of Earth (+30 HP)
Contingent Energy Resistance
Superior Resistance (+6 on all saves)
Elemental Body (Immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits and sneak attacks)
Adamantine Wings*

Before combat also Ray Deflection (get rid of those pesky rays and orbs) and Cat's Grace and Combat Readiness.

*The reason why I'm not casting Phantom Steed instead is because we usually do some dungeon crawling and since I have Earth Glide (from Earth Dreamer prestige class), Phantom Steed can't glide with me. And 10d6 as a swift action is nothing to frown on. Also nifty for breaking down doors... and walls. :D

With the above combination of spells, my wizard never ever died. I would also suggest casting Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability and give him Greater Blink and Mirror Image to cast once the combat starts.