PDA

View Full Version : Why are they looking for the gate again?

largertyler
2009-12-07, 02:33 PM
Hi and hello. I have been keeping up with oots for a long time, but either because of the randomness of the up loads, or the length of time between then I forgot something very important. WHY?

Why are they trying to dig up the gate? Isn't it safer where it is, protected by epic level illusions? If they do uncover it what are they going to DO with it that the epic level people couldn't? What do they hope to do with the the gate when they discover it?

I know these must have been addressed pages and pages ago but They have been lost to me. Please help

Asta Kask
2009-12-07, 02:38 PM
Hi and hello. I have been keeping up with oots for a long time, but either because of the randomness of the up loads, or the length of time between then I forgot something very important. WHY?

Why are they trying to dig up the gate? Isn't it safer where it is, protected by epic level illusions? If they do uncover it what are they going to DO with it that the epic level people couldn't? What do they hope to do with the the gate when they discover it?

I know these must have been addressed pages and pages ago but They have been lost to me. Please help

I believe it is to set an ambush for Xykon and/or warn Girard (if he is still alive) that something wicked this way comes.

They may also be after loot and XP.

Starscream
2009-12-07, 02:43 PM
Yeah, they could just sit around and wait for Xykon to come by and then fight bravely and be killed.

Or they can be a little more proactive, find the gate, warn its owner, try to set up their own defenses, etc. Maybe even learn some more information about it, such as what the heck is going on with the planet Blackwing saw, and why the Snarl hasn't been reaching out and attacking.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 02:44 PM
I believe it is to set an ambush for Xykon and/or warn Girard (if he is still alive) that something wicked this way comes.

They may also be after loot and XP.

Pretty much. If Xykon gets there, eventually he'll find it, and that'll just be Dorukan's Gat all over again (except he's supper pi**ed and plot advanced now).

If they find it first, they're hoping to to enlist Girard in the Let's-Kill-Xykon thing they have going on I think. Other than that they pretty much sit tight and make themselves into a roadblock/figure out a way to destroy him.

Ancalagon
2009-12-07, 02:51 PM

It's not clear for now. A few of the speculations are above, but I think it's mostly because they have nothing else to do that would be equally useful.
They know from the oracle that Xykon will come to this gate next, so they try to beat him at it - there's no point in letting him find it first, who knows how much time (hours? days?) he needs for... whatever he wants to do with it.

Finding it first and use the days or weeks they have to set a very nice planned ambush actually has some merit.

Random832
2009-12-07, 03:10 PM
:smallconfused: So... what's this gate you're talking about, anyway?

Asta Kask
2009-12-07, 03:10 PM
Yeah, they could just sit around and wait for Xykon to come by and then fight bravely and be killed.

Don't underestimate the value of a good ambush. Although this is not GURPS, where ambushed=dead, there are still significant advantages to acting first, even if it's only a standard action. Especially if you can cast preparatory spells... (including Summon Monster)

largertyler
2009-12-07, 03:13 PM

the whole reason they are on the quest

sam79
2009-12-07, 03:17 PM

Thanks for that! You've brought a nice lol to my evening.

largertyler
2009-12-07, 03:29 PM
so wait, we as the community of readers don't know why they , the PC's, are after the gate?

HotAndCold
2009-12-07, 03:38 PM
I've got a better question for you:

Why wouldn't they try and find the Gate? They've got to protect that thing from Xykon, and it'd definitely be an advantage to, y'know, know where the thing is.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 03:41 PM
so wait, we as the community of readers don't know why they , the PC's, are after the gate?

It's all they can do.

Taking on Xykon head to head didn't work.
Ignoring it and hoping it goes away won't work (for most of them).

So getting ahead of him and possibly making an Epic-Levelled ally/trying to get one up on Xykon via ambush is really their only option.

rewinn
2009-12-07, 03:44 PM
I've got a better question for you:

Why wouldn't they try and find the Gate? They've got to protect that thing from Xykon, and it'd definitely be an advantage to, y'know, know where the thing is.

If they did hook up with Girard, wouldn't it be epic for him to create an illusion of the party defending the Gate?

All illusory of course. The problem with that approach, tho, is that Redcloak knows Girard is an illusionist and so would have True Seeing or whatever at the ready. But it might be worth trying as an opening move and/or opportunity for a punch line.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-07, 03:51 PM
If they did hook up with Girard, wouldn't it be epic for him to create an illusion of the party defending the Gate?

All illusory of course. The problem with that approach, tho, is that Redcloak knows Girard is an illusionist and so would have True Seeing or whatever at the ready. But it might be worth trying as an opening move and/or opportunity for a punch line.

OFFICIAL PROPHECY: Team Evil turn up at the Gate's location wearing a permanent item of True Seeing apiece, that look like 3D glasses.

Just you watch, it'll happen.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-07, 04:07 PM
the whole reason they are on the quest

huh. I never noticed that before.

But anyway, back to this gate I hear so much about.

Starscream
2009-12-07, 04:35 PM
OFFICIAL PROPHECY: Team Evil turn up at the Gate's location wearing a permanent item of True Seeing apiece, that look like 3D glasses.

Just you watch, it'll happen.

It worked for the Doctor anyway.

Acero
2009-12-07, 06:39 PM
It worked for the Doctor anyway.

Doctor Who?

tribble
2009-12-07, 06:46 PM
Doctor Who?

No, He's just The Doctor.

Maybe even learn some more information about it, such as what the heck is going on with the planet Blackwing saw, and why the Snarl hasn't been reaching out and attacking.
that's easy, this guy lives there, and the snarl is in love with him.
http://sgcafe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154619&stc=1&d=1225973393

Mystic Muse
2009-12-07, 06:52 PM
that's easy, this guy lives there, and the snarl is in love with him.
http://sgcafe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154619&stc=1&d=1225973393

No, you're thinking of haruhi.

at least I think that's Kyon.:smallconfused:

Zeful
2009-12-07, 06:55 PM
The problem with that approach, tho, is that Redcloak knows Girard is an illusionist and so would have True Seeing or whatever at the ready.

So you think that an Epic level Illusionist's Epic Level Illusions are capable of being seen through by True Sight?

ericgrau
2009-12-07, 07:25 PM
Comic says they are warning the gates current defenders that Xykon is coming and to provide intelligence that may be useful for fighting against him. They know Xykon is hitting that gate next from the Oracle thanks to inadvertently asking which gate would be hit besides Azure city instead of realizing Azure City was next. It is also implied by their strategizing that they plan to help defend as well.

Andric
2009-12-07, 07:56 PM
Roy's inherited task is to kill Xy. Group is helping Roy. Xy wants a gate to use its power for world domination. ergo wait at next prophesied gate for him to turn up, kill him.

Herald Alberich
2009-12-07, 08:30 PM
And, hopefully, recruit Epic-level illusionist to aid in the killing of him.

They know from the oracle that Xykon will come to this gate next, so they try to beat him at it - there's no point in letting him find it first, who knows how much time (hours? days?) he needs for... whatever he wants to do with it.

Weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html), actually, but the Order doesn't know that.

largertyler
2009-12-07, 10:09 PM
So they are just trying to warn an epic level illusionist about xycon. That seems kinda tame for a save or die plot.

I thought I forgot something along the way but i guess that's it. I don't know about anyone else but suddenly it seems pretty lackluster to me. I not like the first story ark, defeat the lich, or the second story ark...um adventure? Then kidnapped bu miko, "rail road plots" then third...azure city, fourth The Resurrection of roy, to this the quest to warn an epic illusionist of xycon.

If he's alive and hiding in his illusion I don't see why he dosn't just go oh look good adventures, watch them for a bit realize their intentions and then talk to them.

If he's dead like soon, which I don't remember how that happened, age right? but how come the sorcerer wait no wizard live so long? The illusionist must be dead, all the other guardians are.

Kinda went into a tangent

HotAndCold
2009-12-07, 10:29 PM
If he's dead like soon, which I don't remember how that happened, age right? but how come the sorcerer wait no wizard live so long? The illusionist must be dead, all the other guardians are.

Soon died of old age, but Soon was also visibly older (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html) than the other two humans in the party, Dorukan and Girard (assuming that Girard is 100% human, which is kind of iffy; Shojo's description of the Order of the Scribble doesn't mention Girard's race). Soon's also the only one of the Order of the Scribble who has been confirmed to have died of natural causes between then and now. Kraagor died fighting the Snarl, but both Dorukan and Lirian were perfectly healthy and capable before they were murdered by Xykon, and Serini and Girard are currently unaccounted for, and, as far as we know, are still off adventuring and guarding his Gate, respectively. It's possible that one or both of them are deceased, but certainly debatable.

largertyler
2009-12-07, 11:40 PM
right other races. I've been playing iron kingdoms so long I forgot about the longevity of everything else.

*edit* Hold the phone, how long ago was the order of the scribble? Cause only an elf could have lived long enough to still be around kicking. And that's implying the order of the scribble was less than 1000-800 years ago.

Nimrod's Son
2009-12-07, 11:44 PM
I thought I forgot something along the way but i guess that's it. I don't know about anyone else but suddenly it seems pretty lackluster to me. I not like the first story ark, defeat the lich, or the second story ark...um adventure? Then kidnapped bu miko, "rail road plots" then third...azure city, fourth The Resurrection of roy, to this the quest to warn an epic illusionist of xycon.
The main plot of arc two was actually "fix Roy's sword", but if the more generic "adventure" was acceptable to you, why so disappointed by what this arc has in store? I'd expect "adventure" is still gonna figure pretty highly, what with them being, y'know, adventurers and all.

And more broadly, the whole "defeat the lich" aspect isn't just part one, it's the entire point of the whole comic. Finding Girard and warning him is merely the next step in the plan, just as it was before they realised that Xykon was actually heading for Azure City first. And before long they'll hit another hitch and have to resort to battling him at Kraagor's gate before that particular plotline gets resolved. Everything else is just scenery along the way.

Hold the phone, how long ago was the order of the scribble? Cause only an elf could have lived long enough to still be around kicking. And that's implying the order of the scribble was less than 1000-800 years ago.
They formed approximately 66 years ago, so even if he's human it's perfectly possible for Girard to still be alive. But it's also possible, if not necessarily likely, that Girard is a half-elf (we've only seen one side of his head, after all :smallwink:) or even something more obscure. A kinship of some kind with dragons is a popular theory around here.

rewinn
2009-12-08, 12:25 AM
So you think that an Epic level Illusionist's Epic Level Illusions are capable of being seen through by True Sight?

More likely the "...or whatever..."

Xykon (when he feels like it) has had some neat magical technologies (e.g. the Symbol on the Ball) as has Redcloak (Titanium Elementals). I'll be not one OOTS reader anticipated either of those! The Evil Duo have reason to suspect illusions will be on the menu and to plan accordingly.

factotum
2009-12-08, 02:27 AM
So they are just trying to warn an epic level illusionist about xycon. That seems kinda tame for a save or die plot.

No, I'm sure they're intending to get involved in the fight themselves--remember Roy's discussion with Durkon on the boat about possible tactics to use against Xykon? However, I'm sure they're well aware that in any sort of fair fight they get curbstomped by Xykon, so they need to gain every advantage they can before he turns up--and one of those advantages would be knowledge of where the Gate actually is, so they can plan ambush strategies.

Kareasint
2009-12-08, 07:39 AM
Weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html), actually, but the Order doesn't know that.

Actually, that plan is out the window since Soon's Gate was destroyed. Xykon needed the Gate intact to do the rituals and control it.

The actual time will be location of the Phylactery + 2 rounds + casting time of a Teleport spell as seen in Comic 662 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html).

Zoobadoo117
2009-12-08, 04:45 PM
The actual time will be location of the Phylactery + 2 rounds + casting time of a Teleport spell as seen in Comic 662 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html).

yeah that plus the time to eliminate the elven adventuring party that has come to save the city... UNLESS thats just an advance force to clear the way for the elven army (they are still wary from the dark one's army)

ScottishDragon
2009-12-08, 09:22 PM

Have you lately been in contact with the monster in the darkness?

Herald Alberich
2009-12-09, 01:13 AM
Actually, that plan is out the window since Soon's Gate was destroyed. Xykon needed the Gate intact to do the rituals and control it.

I was replying to the mention of how long Xykon needs to control the Gate once he has it, using Soon's as an example. The time it will take for Xykon to get to Girard's gate is a different question.

factotum
2009-12-09, 02:26 AM
yeah that plus the time to eliminate the elven adventuring party that has come to save the city... UNLESS thats just an advance force to clear the way for the elven army (they are still wary from the dark one's army)

Why would he bother? Xykon couldn't give a monkey's about Azure City or its current hobgoblin occupants, he wants the gate. If he finds his phylactery he's teleporting out, even if there's a war going on in Azure City at the time.

Asta Kask
2009-12-09, 04:55 AM
Prediction

Girard will either be dead or will die in the fight with Xykon. Otherwise, the Order would essentially be reduced to lackeys of an epic-level illusionist. The Order are still the protagonists of the story.