PDA

View Full Version : druid concept

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-08, 12:10 AM
hello, i am trying to come up with a druid character... i have the great majority of the "look" that i want, but i am open to some sugestions.

this character is a male human with an oak rod as a primary implement, and a beast claw as his other hand. i know that is not much to go off of, but it really gave me a good base to start from.

the character is a loner in a druid order that evolves around the "great tree". the great tree is the root system from which all forests on this and other planes stems from. each druid circle of the order is charged with the protection and maintenance of thier own grove- forest. these circles vary in strength and number.

my druid is the only one in his circle which covers a fairly large area (attesting to his personal power), and uses an extensive network of animals as guardians and messengers.

i need a good primary animal companion for him, a combat style, a rough backstory, and a name. i think that will help me flesh out alot of the details. i also need to find a way to scan the picture and link it to the site so i can get further imput based on what you all think.

thanks in advance.

sonofzeal
2009-12-08, 12:16 AM
- What edition?

- What books allowed?

- What power level are you aiming for?

- Are there any setting constrictions we should know about?

- Do you expect to be often in confined spaces where character size matters?

- What level?

erikun
2009-12-08, 12:17 AM
Look into the PHB2. I do believe there is a Druid variant which replaces Wildshape with "Aspect of Nature", basically changing parts of the Druid's body rather than turning into a different animal. It really seems like what you're trying for.

It sounds like he will be using Shillelagh (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shillelagh.htm) quite a bit. Quarterstaffs are handy; you can swing them two-handed for a STR 1.5x bonus, or wield them two-weapon fighting style.

I'm sure there is a Druid prestige class which grants you a large number of animal companions, although it doesn't progress spellcasting or Wildshape. You can also take the Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat for a second animal companion, in addition to the Druid companion.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-08, 12:22 AM
- What edition?

- What books allowed?

- What power level are you aiming for?

- Are there any setting constrictions we should know about?

- Do you expect to be often in confined spaces where character size matters?

- What level?

any

not really

no.

this is for my own world that i am creating so i am not focusing on game mechanics as much as character flavor.

Leon
2009-12-08, 12:27 AM
Look into the PHB2. I do believe there is a Druid variant which replaces Wildshape with "Aspect of Nature", basically changing parts of the Druid's body rather than turning into a different animal. It really seems like what you're trying for.

PHB2 Has the Shapeshift Variant

This is the one ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) you were thinking of.

Beastmaster PrC from Complete Adventure is the Multi Companion class

Implements are more 4e but i get what you mean, there is a spell called Changestaff that turns your oak staff into a Treant and a Beast claw for a hand could be handled with a Graft (a number of books have graft related sections in them - just not sure of which would be useful)

A good way i have found to work out a backstory is to use the 3x3 method - think of 3 Allies, 3 Enemies and 3 Important events and use those as a basis for a background

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-08, 12:42 AM
he will only have one animal companion, just a good cohesion with the other animalsin his domain

sonofzeal
2009-12-08, 12:44 AM
Ah, so it's just flavour you want? I'd check Eberron Campaign Setting, page 75, and look at the various Druid orders listed. "Wardens of the Wood" are the standard archetype, but there's four other styles he could also fit under. Ashbound are my favourites, but Greensingers and Gatekeepers are also awesome. He's probably not a Child of Winter, but that's always possible too.

As for combat style, I'd make heavy use of "Bite of the XYZ" and similar effects, and stay in human form mostly. If he's high level, "Holly Berry Bombs" can be an absolutely brutal trap.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-08, 12:50 AM
I know I'm no expert, but Druid is a fave class when it comes down to fun. Here's a few suggestions:

Avenging Druid 10/Barbarian 10/Nature's Warrior 5/Bear Warrior 5-RAWR!!!! Imma Big Bear!!!!

Druid 10/Ninja 10/Assassin 10-Hippie Assassin. Peace out while me and my panther claw you to death...DUDE!!!!!!

Druid 10/Monk 10/That one Monk/Druid prestige class

All three are awesome combos that emphasize the neigh broken-ness of Wildshape

and as for a name, Pick a name that ties to nature. And when in doubt, go Native American or Hippie

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-08, 12:54 AM
any sugestions on armor flavor? i know he will have a dream catcher necklace shoulder pads no shirt,and a loin cloth of some kind.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-08, 01:01 AM
any sugestions on armor flavor? i know he will have a dream catcher necklace shoulder pads no shirt,and a loin cloth of some kind.

Go caveman unless ur in a cold environment. Then bundle up.

However, I do suggest (should ur DM allow it) Tentacle Hide. I may be mistaken, but u get free Nat Weapons. Either that, or the Bear Armor from MIC. That plus the Bear Warrior of Doom build would be a laughing riot. A bear in armor? RUN! RUN AWAY!

Leon
2009-12-08, 01:04 AM

Hunter Variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid)

Combat style: spells or enhanced by spells (decent number of options to boost natural attacks ala the Beast hand)
The reserve feats may be a good addition here - Storm Bolt fits very well for a druid

Mahtobedis
2009-12-08, 03:55 AM
he he he he

If your dm will allow it greenbound summoning is always fun

he he he he

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-08, 11:14 PM
i think i may have mis represented myself in this need, i am creating this charcter for my own world in which i am the creator and DM. if all goes well, this druid will be a staple NPC in the history and lore of my setting. while i would like to follow some basics about his in game mechanics, the real point is to kinda free flow him and buff the edges as needed.

alot of the material you have all sugested is unfamiliar to me, but i do appreciate the input... truth be told i never considered the uberness of a druid/monk in the first place.

in any case, i am going to use your input and suggestions for a concept sketch. and then if i can find a place/way to post it then i will refine it as the imput directs. i wanted to do this thusly as kindof a "shout out" to the people of this site, in hopes that oots fans will have some impact in my own personal world building.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-08, 11:18 PM
alot of the material you have all sugested is unfamiliar to me, but i do appreciate the input... truth be told i never considered the uberness of a druid/monk in the first place.

Druids are uber enough on their own. Adding anything else is like diluting your delicious druid with water. Adding monk would be like dumping your delicious druid down the sink.
(Just buy a Monk's Belt and a Wilding Clasp, and you have all the good parts of the monk without actually losing a Druid level).

Leon
2009-12-09, 12:10 AM
Druids are uber enough on their own. Adding anything else is like diluting your delicious druid with water. Adding monk would be like dumping your delicious druid down the sink.
(Just buy a Monk's Belt and a Wilding Clasp, and you have all the good parts of the monk without actually losing a Druid level).

As J.J.J posted above you - he's not out for pure mechanical power, but rather a flavorful Major NPC for his setting.

While many on here are dismissive of Druid/X don't let it stop you from trying various combination's for any character that you make.
I quite like the combination of Druid/Monk/Scared Fist (Scared Fist is in Complete Divine)

The Glyphstone
2009-12-09, 01:55 AM
In that case, go bananas. There is, after all, a long and well-established tradition of setting-crucial or otherwise high-profile NPCs to be utterly mechanically ineffective.:smallbiggrin:

Monk/Druid/Sacred Fist is interesting depending on how you blend the fluffs...with enough creative reinterpreting of Monk fluff, he's not a Monk because he lives in a monastery, but his lifestyle is so orderly/austere that you could probably build a monastery around him and he'd fit perfectly.

Druid/Monk/Fist of the Forest could also work for the same sort of fluff, if you wanted to de-emphasize the spellcasting in favor of the back-to-nature savagery and personal combat ability...this variant works particularly well with Aspect of Nature or the Shapeshift variant, since he'd want to have high physical stats that he could augment further via Shapeshifting, then go to town on some poor nature-defiling fool with beefy unarmed attacks.
- Have the 'Beast-Claw' you described be the physical manifestation of the unarmed damage boosts he gets from Fist of the Forest.
-Wild Empathy and a decent Charisma score are all you need to have animal friends, though Charm Animal and Speak to Animals don't hurt, both low-level druid spells.

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-10, 12:54 AM
well, thanks for the input. i'll let you know how it all turns out