PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Party Sorcerer

rezplz
2009-12-08, 03:18 AM
So I just came up with a character concept that I think is pretty funny. The idea is a sorcerer who uses all of his talents to be a hit at parties. Problem is I've only played blaster-type casters (Horridly unoptimized but that's the way my group plays for the most part) and I'm not sure what kind of spells would be good for a guy who loves parties. Create food/water spells seem to be obvious, as well as illusions and flashy stuff. Other than that, I'm drawing blanks (might have something to do with the fact that I should be asleep right now), and I know pretty much nothing out of core.

So playground, I was wondering if you could give me a breakdown, by spell level, of what spells would be useful for a guy who really, really loves parties. Allowed books are core and the complete series.

Dracomorph
2009-12-08, 03:22 AM
Bigby's Groping Hand? "I swear it was an accident!"

You could light candles with fireballs/scorching rays.

Of course, Prestidigitation is the quintessential party spell, because it will actually let you do sleight-of-hand kind of tricks magically. Or change the flavor of that roadkill you decided to serve into foie gras. Or turn your guests funny colors.

BooNL
2009-12-08, 03:28 AM
Prestidigitation, metamagiced, so you can cast it in every spell slot...

Summoning spells would probably be popular too, as well as some charm spells to do a bit of hypnotising.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-08, 04:15 AM
After Prestidigitation, Suggestion is a fun spell. Also, divinations will be useful, especially Detect Thoughts. Okay maybe that might hurt your brain(:smalltongue:), but don't neglect it. Though there are a lot of illusions you could have fun with. Nearly endless. Hypnotic Pattern will catch everyone's attention, things like that. Or if you get in trouble with the law, your trusty Nondetection spell will save you. Don't forget to use bull's strength and Eagle's Splendor for the ladies :smallwink:

erikun
2009-12-08, 05:04 AM
Illusions are always handy, and it's easy to boost just one school through Spell Focus/Heighten Spell. Heck, there are some very powerful Illusionist prestige classes available.

I've been wanting to make a Wizard or Sorcerer who specializes in Color Spray, Hypnotic Pattern, Rainbow Pattern, and the Prismatic spells. Looks good with the Rainbow Servant and Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil prestige classes. The only problem is that the hypnotic spell become quickly outdated, and the Prismatic spells aren't even in the same school of magic. On the plus side, you'll look dashing with those Rainbow Servant wings and a Robe of Scintillating Colors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeofScintillatingColors). :smallbiggrin:

It might make people wonder what's in the punch, though.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-08, 11:56 AM
On the plus side, you'll look dashing with those Rainbow Servant wings and a Robe of Scintillating Colors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeofScintillatingColors). :smallbiggrin:

If you do this, be sure your charm and winning smiles don't fail to slay them in the aisles. :smallamused: Anyone?

Shademan
2009-12-08, 12:47 PM
magic missile

"watch me shoot down all the cups! POW POW...aaand POW! NO MISSES!"

Duke of URL
2009-12-08, 12:51 PM
See Gronk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=169376), half-orc junior adventurer, freshly graduated from Sigil Prep, whose spells known list is taken almost exclusively from Magic of Sigil Prep (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51644).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-08, 12:53 PM
magic missile

"watch me shoot down all the cups! POW POW...aaand POW! NO MISSES!"
Magic Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-08, 08:36 PM

Glue ants on the sides of each cup?

gdiddy
2009-12-08, 08:41 PM
Those are vermin, not individual creatures. You'll have to use gnomes.

Saintheart
2009-12-08, 09:29 PM
Ray of Frost?

"No rocks in your scotch, sir? Well, I happen to be so cool--" *zap* "--you could keep a slab on me!" *B-boom tss* "What, nobody's laughing?" *Casts Hideous Laughter...*

Also, how come nobody's thought of the Gandalf option and suggesting Pyrotechnics?

Mending could also be rather useful, although much more fun if you don't have it. "Here, give me a twenty. Okay, now I'm going to rip it in half. And then rip it again...and again...and again...okay, there you go. Oh, what, you thought I could cast Mending? Uh, no, sorry, don't take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks and all that. Yeah ... um. Oh, hey! How 'bout that punch, huh?"

Mephibosheth
2009-12-08, 09:37 PM
If you do this, be sure your charm and winning smiles don't fail to slay them in the aisles. :smallamused: Anyone?

If it's red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and grey and purple and white and pink and orange and blue...how can you miss?

The Glyphstone
2009-12-08, 10:07 PM
Magic Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

New challenge...get Animate Objects on the sorcerer's spell list.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-08, 11:00 PM
New challenge...get Animate Objects on the sorcerer's spell list.

Use spellcraft, and design a spell that's identical to Animate Objects? :smalltongue:

And OP: Try checking out the BoEF. :smallwink::smalltongue: