PDA

View Full Version : Dread Necro// Totemist

Mangles
2009-12-08, 03:22 AM
So I am thinking of playing a dread necro // totemist in a gestalt game. But is it really worth it. I was going to try using mainly touch attacks and use the totemist to buff them with natural attacks . I have to start at level 1 so tomb tainted soul is going to be my feat there. But what races are recommended, I'd really like to keep dread necro but can ditch totemist in favor of a better combo.

also in regards to Charnel Touch

At will, but no more than once per
round, she can make a melee touch attack
against a living foe
does that mean that once per round i can use a natural attack with charnel touch for extra damag, do i have to cast charnel touch first or does it just work like the lich touch attack.

Pluto
2009-12-08, 04:24 AM
Charnel Touch is a touch attack, not a touch spell. You can't hold its charge. It doesn't apply to natural attacks.

It's a standard action to activate, so I'm not sure why that phrase is there.

PinkysBrain
2009-12-08, 04:37 AM
Charnel Touch is a touch attack, not a touch spell. You can't hold its charge. It doesn't apply to natural attacks.

It's a standard action to activate, so I'm not sure why that phrase is there.
Normally a Su is a standard action, but if it's not a touch spell then the touch attack can't be automatically subsumed in that action unless the ability explicitly says so IMO. As it is Charnel Touch simply fails to make sense.

Personally I'd rule the activation is subsumed in the attack action, it seems the intent and it's balanced. Since it's not a touch spell it can't technically be used with a natural attack ... but that I'd simply houserule.

In the end though 1d8+x extra damage a round isn't going to make or break the viability of the character.

Mangles
2009-12-08, 06:16 AM
really i'd prefer to play it by RAW atm, also more interested in character builds the touch attack while part of the build is not so integral i can't do without.

Would binder be better than totemist? or am i looking in all the wrong places. If by raw the touch attack is part of an unarmed or natural attack would taking monk levels be worth it?

Amphetryon
2009-12-08, 06:27 AM
If by raw the touch attack is part of an unarmed or natural attack would taking monk levels be worth it?No; if unarmed attacks are really the crux of your concept, Unarmed Swordsage might be worth it, though.

Mangles
2009-12-08, 07:49 AM
what id really like to do is make charnel touch worth having later on as more than just a touch healing spell for myself, and since this is gestalt i was hoping it would be manageable, I am trying to be towards the higher end of power here but i need to play through all 20 levels (hopefully)

PinkysBrain
2009-12-08, 08:02 AM
what id really like to do is make charnel touch worth having later on as more than just a touch healing spell for myself
The damage is trivial, so it's not going to happen. Scabrous touch is useless, it's contagion with free quickening the latter of which is very nice, the problem is that contagion sucks. Enervating touch is basically a freely quickened melee enervation, which is kind of nice ... but given the use per day limits hardly something you can build a character around.

Building a character around touch attacks is perfectly possible, charnel touch not so much ... at best, if the DM agrees with me and it's activation is subsumed in the attack, it's a nice little damage bonus.