PDA

View Full Version : PF

Steelblood
2009-12-08, 03:35 AM
I'm new to DMing and have a bit of trouble figuring out the proper XP to give my PCs, I'm not sure how the charts should be worked in PF. I've had a few people sit down with me and try to figure it out, but i think we're doing somthing wrong. One dungeon bumped my PCs up 3 lvls:smallconfused:

Doc Roc
2009-12-08, 03:37 AM
You likely aren't doing it wrong. PF and 3.5 level quickly. If you want, you can contact me and I can walk you through this stuff.

MichielHagen
2009-12-08, 03:44 AM
Can you give us a short example of an encounter and the XP you rewarded for it?

Rasman
2009-12-08, 03:55 AM
PF Levels REALLY fast depending on the CR you're throwing at your PCs. Our PF game is on the fast leveling track until level 7, in our last encounter, I went from 5 to halfway though 7 like it was nothing because we downed 5 CR 13 Frost Giants. PF games seem to be more aimed at the level 13 range for your story, so I wouldn't worry about it too much so long as you adjust the CR for your encounters appropriatly.

Rixx
2009-12-08, 03:59 AM
The Fast leveling progression in Pathfinder is just that. If you're leveling too fast, maybe try a slower progression.

Once you figure it out, the EXP tables in Pathfinder are way easier to work with.

Be sure you're not rewarding the entire EXP value of the encounter to every character - the table shows the amount each individual character should get, based on party size.

Steelblood
2009-12-08, 04:35 AM
I used the table as it was shown, but there is another sub table belowe that. Adding CR based on the number of creatures in combat. 3 CR 1/3 goblins should only be a CR 1 correct? Using the sub table i should add +2 to the CR for adding 2 additional creatures? So 3 CR 1/3 goblins comes out to be CR 5...

MichielHagen
2009-12-08, 04:47 AM
I used the table as it was shown, but there is another sub table belowe that. Adding CR based on the number of creatures in combat. 3 CR 1/3 goblins should only be a CR 1 correct? Using the sub table i should add +2 to the CR for adding 2 additional creatures? So 3 CR 1/3 goblins comes out to be CR 5...

I think this is wrong. If you have 3x CR1 creature you get CR5....
but i never played pathfinder

Steelblood
2009-12-08, 04:51 AM
yeah, i think somthing is wrong there 15 goblins came out to a ludacris CR.

MichielHagen
2009-12-08, 04:57 AM
In 3.5,

3 times a CR 1/3 is encounter level 1
10 times a CR 1/3 is encounter level 4

With that encounter level our DM determines the XP rewarded

Steelblood
2009-12-08, 05:00 AM
Well you take the CR of each creature then add them together, correct? So 15 CR 1/3 goblins is automaticaly a CR 5, then you add the second table, for the number of additional creatures.

MichielHagen
2009-12-08, 05:06 AM
Well you take the CR of each creature then add them together, correct? So 15 CR 1/3 goblins is automaticaly a CR 5, then you add the second table, for the number of additional creatures.

You cannot just add CR's together, at least not in D&D 3.5.

BobVosh
2009-12-08, 05:38 AM
Don't hate yourself. Use this.
http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm

Steelblood
2009-12-08, 05:44 AM
Oh very nice, thank you.

reefwood
2009-12-08, 11:22 AM

From reading through this thread, it looks like the encounter had the PCs battling 15 goblins of CR 1/3. I'm going to try explaining this a couple ways. Of course, I'm not an expert on Pathfinder XP yet, but here goes...

1) The Experience Point table says that a CR 1/3 creature gives 135 XP. You take that number and divide by the total number of party members. Let's say there are 5 members in your party, so that breaks down to 27 XP each. If there are 15 goblins, multiply 27 XP by 15 for a total of 405 XP to each party member.

Well actually, that about covers it. I'm not sure what table says to add +2 for adding 2 additional creatures. I believe in 3.5 that two creatures of the same CR increase the total CR by +2... so that if you have two CR 5 creatures, they can be treated as a CR 7.

The other explanation I was going to give had to do with building encounters to match the party, but that might not be what you're looking for here anyway.

reefwood
2009-12-08, 11:25 AM
Don't hate yourself. Use this.
http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm

This looks pretty nifty, but it looks like this works for 3.5, and Pathfinder works a bit differently.